Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

I'm not qualified to comment much, either, that's why I edited it out.

Yea, I'd love to be educated on that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

twistedmentat posted:

Anyways, it made me try to think of other bands that, as Todd says, had their careers ruined by Nirvana. Rock Gods that as soon as Smells Like Teen Spirit was shown on MTV they might as well of packed it in. Like I don't think I heard any Poison after that, and maybe there was that one Motley Crue song that got some play. Van Halen and Bon Jovi kept going, but they were clearly entered the realm of dad rock by then.

Somewhere in my parents attic I saved an issue of Guitar World from 1999 where Ratt were still specifically blaming Nirvana for their downfall. It was something like "and just when you’ve put out the best album of your career this guy comes out and everybody decides you’re not cool anymore”. I mainly remember it coming off as incredibly whiney.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I'd love to be educated on that though.

You do see it sometimes. My best understanding is that there's a concern that engaging in "gangster culture" or "ghetto culture" reinforces negative stereotypes of black Americans and should be discouraged. It's understandable given that those cultural aspects are generally the first ones that racists leap on to portray blacks as uneducated criminals. For a very long time there have also been efforts (which have steadily dropped to be really only embraced by more conservative people) to "integrate into white culture" by doing things like dressing well, straightening naturally curly hair, and avoiding African-American Vernacular English to eliminate as many cultural differences as possible. Something like discouraging wearing baggy clothing fits into that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

You do see it sometimes. My best understanding is that there's a concern that engaging in "gangster culture" or "ghetto culture" reinforces negative stereotypes of black Americans and should be discouraged. It's understandable given that those cultural aspects are generally the first ones that racists leap on to portray blacks as uneducated criminals. For a very long time there have also been efforts (which have steadily dropped to be really only embraced by more conservative people) to "integrate into white culture" by doing things like dressing well, straightening naturally curly hair, and avoiding African-American Vernacular English to eliminate as many cultural differences as possible. Something like discouraging wearing baggy clothing fits into that.

That makes sense, groups like the Irish and Italians got their official White status by acting less of their home culture and being more American ideal of white, but for them, they could do that because, you know, they are white.

Though in American Cultural history, White was more of an social construct than a skin colour, until psuedoscientific racial science started to become popular in the 19th century. Though even then, Black people would never be accepted fully in a White Supremacist culture.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That Thing is really a lot less happy and peppy when you stop and listen to the lyrics, that's for sure.

Large swaths of it could be inspiration for Alt Lite rants against Urban Culture.

Anyway, I'd wager that part of the Cosybyism happening at the time was due to the mainstreaming of Rap, and the growth of the more material artists. The scary gangster rappers as well

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

Somewhere in my parents attic I saved an issue of Guitar World from 1999 where Ratt were still specifically blaming Nirvana for their downfall. It was something like "and just when you’ve put out the best album of your career this guy comes out and everybody decides you’re not cool anymore”. I mainly remember it coming off as incredibly whiney.

I think whether or not a metal or rock band was able to survive the 90s was dependent on whether their sound could actually be tweaked. Bon Jovi and Aerosmith had a harder blues edge to their sound, so even if their appearance was outdated the music was still distinctive and couldn't really be tied to a specific decade. Poison, Ratt, Dokken, and other hair metal bands were extremely 80s and took the genre's stereotypes to the point where they couldn't recover if the public turned on the genre. Guns n' Roses probably could have made it if Axl wasn't a lunatic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Todd's new episode of Trainwreckords, about Lauryn Hill's terrible Unplugged album, is pretty drat good. It technically came out in 2001, but Lauryn is 90s as gently caress.

His episode about MC Hammer was really interesting because he talks about even though Hammer was heavily gang affiliated and put out hits on people he didn't like, he was still unable to make a gangsta rap record without looking corny as gently caress.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Hammer was heavily gang affiliated and put out hits on people he didn't like...
What.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea, he employed like everyone from his old Neighborhood, which included like the Gang Bangers

Check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1gGUKK7jg

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think whether or not a metal or rock band was able to survive the 90s was dependent on whether their sound could actually be tweaked. Bon Jovi and Aerosmith had a harder blues edge to their sound, so even if their appearance was outdated the music was still distinctive and couldn't really be tied to a specific decade. Poison, Ratt, Dokken, and other hair metal bands were extremely 80s and took the genre's stereotypes to the point where they couldn't recover if the public turned on the genre. Guns n' Roses probably could have made it if Axl wasn't a lunatic.

Metallica was able to survive too. But they weren't exactly hair metal.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

A t-shirt brand that occasionally put out a record.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

I think the best way you can describe the backlash against hair metal was against hair metal specifically. Grunge was descended from the harder musical styles like punk and garage metal and rock bands, whereas hair metal and similar genres embraced ridiculous excess. What died out was guys in tight leather pants wearing eyeshadow and teasing their hair with ozone-depleting amounts of hairspray, singing in high pitched falsettos, and playing simple pop-oriented riffs. Metallica and Megadeth are technically skilled but also very hard and "grimy" by comparison, which gives them that appeal to the grunge and alt rock contingent. Guns n' Roses had its roots in blues rock but gave it a distinct sound that easily appealed to the punk and classic rock contingent equally and would have probably survived had Axl not alienated everyone in the band.

Kurt Cobain himself was a fan of Metallica and other mainstream bands, just not any of it that had to do with commercialization.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

whereas hair metal and similar genres embraced ridiculous excess.

Kinda like rap music these days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chitoryu12 posted:

I think whether or not a metal or rock band was able to survive the 90s was dependent on whether their sound could actually be tweaked.
I honestly didn't listen to, like, popular music until 94, and finally started listening to alternative in like 96, so ALL the early 90s grunge revolution and Nirvana stuff was lost on me.

It wasn't until a few years ago when I read a post-mortem on AltRock that I realized how many bands were pushed as a replacement to Nirvana, explaining all the weird one-hit wonders from like 95-99. All that Dishwalla poo poo was trying to recapture the Nirvana magic that just blew everything away with a new sound. Listening back to Bush, it's really loving apparent.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volcott posted:

A network of self-reporting sexperverts.

I thought our slogan was "The Internet Makes You Stupid".

chitoryu12 posted:

Your point is well taken, but Aerosmith was already firmly a legacy act at that point, they had a good 10+ years on Bon Jovi. They were well into their "every album is their comeback album" phase by then.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
90's alternative sounded like your garage band. It's probably why Weezer was so popular at the time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Your point is well taken, but Aerosmith was already firmly a legacy act at that point, they had a good 10+ years on Bon Jovi. They were well into their "every album is their comeback album" phase by then.

Yeah; Aerosmith literally had a comeback tour in the same year that Bon Jovi released their first album, 1984, when Joe Perry and Brad Whitford came back to the band after quitting in 1979. They did one album in between those years but for all intents and purposes the reunion was billed as their 'comeback'.

Also, that album (Rock in a Hard Place) was produced by Jon Bon Jovi's cousin Tony.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also, that album (Rock in a Hard Place) was produced by Jon Bon Jovi's cousin Tony.
Ah yes, Tony Bon Jovi. Who rode to work every morning on his horse, Pony Bon Jovi. Who became the logo for the knockoff electronics brand, Phony Sony Bon Jovi.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

lord funk posted:

Ah yes, Tony Bon Jovi. Who rode to work every morning on his horse, Pony Bon Jovi. Who became the logo for the knockoff electronics brand, Phony Sony Bon Jovi.

Jabroni Bon Jovi

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

After leaving the recording industry he opened a hot dog stand.

Coney Bon Jovi

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

After leaving the recording industry he opened a hot dog stand.

Coney Bon Jovi

It got a negative review entitled "You Give Lunch A Bad Name"

in Bon Jovi Appetit magazine

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Did you hear about his collaboration with Billy Idol?

Mony Mony Bon Jovi

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Tony! Toni! Toné!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Areosmith just another bluesy rock band until at least Pump, when they finally broke through to become a megaband?

Darthemed posted:

Tony! Toni! Toné!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfoxsfhi-kk

Though I will always think of that song in context of it being used in Rick and Morty.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aerosmith were pretty big in the 70s, from what I understand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Areosmith just another bluesy rock band until at least Pump, when they finally broke through to become a megaband?

Toys in the Attic is their best selling record in the US and they started hitting platinum regularly after it. Throughout the 70s Aerosmith was the rock band. After struggling through the 80s with drugs and egos, Pump revitalized their popularity but it was basically just bringing them back to the level they used to be at.

Aerosmith's advantage is that their blues-tinged sound was never really dated and could easily fit in with later decades. They kept the harder core and technical skill without going full pop, which is a problem Van Halen had when songs like "Jump" sounded really cheesy a decade later. Even their 90s stuff still sounds really 80s.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Van Hagar better, don't @me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Aerosmith were pretty big in the 70s, from what I understand.

They should have stayed in the 70's, because that's when they were actually decent, and not mom rock.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Did you hear about his collaboration with Billy Idol?

Mony Mony Bon Jovi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfJUsgLJeU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

chitoryu12 posted:

Toys in the Attic is their best selling record in the US and they started hitting platinum regularly after it. Throughout the 70s Aerosmith was the rock band. After struggling through the 80s with drugs and egos, Pump revitalized their popularity but it was basically just bringing them back to the level they used to be at.

Aerosmith's advantage is that their blues-tinged sound was never really dated and could easily fit in with later decades. They kept the harder core and technical skill without going full pop, which is a problem Van Halen had when songs like "Jump" sounded really cheesy a decade later. Even their 90s stuff still sounds really 80s.

Aerosmith's advantage was having a video game.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Aerosmith's career rebirth can be at least somewhat, if not largely, attributed to signing with Geffen Records and getting a lot of guidance from A&R man John Kalodner. He took them from selling 500K copies of Done with Mirrors to 5M with Permanent Vacation.

He's also the guy who convinced David Coverdale to fire everyone in Whitesnake and hire a bunch of known hair band guys so they'd be MTV darlings. Again, they went from selling 2M albums with Slide it In to 8M with Whitesnake (1987).

He knew what would sell. I've read a few recent articles/interviews and a lot of the artists he guided are more critical of his heavy-handed manner. He made many of them rich, though.

WescottF1 has a new favorite as of 20:53 on May 13, 2019

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Quote is not Edit

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's neat, I admit the earliest song from Aerosmith I ever heard was Hot Times. I was more aware of them first with Love in an Elevator, which at the time we thought was the dirtiest thing. But none of it compaired to the massive breakthrough of Janies Got a Gun.

Though none of that was comparable to the 90s. I got the impression from the Old rock guys I used to work with that Aerosmith was there, and they were good, but they couldn't compete with the Arena Rock bands of the time, but they were respected. They had no respect for their 90s output.

Ferrule posted:

Are you talking about Revolution X where MUSIC IS YOUR WEAPON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXH8SN8OZXo
I remember you shooting CDs in this game, not like red balls. Also what did Aerosmith have against New Order?

That reminds me of the Moonwalker game, not the Genesis one, but there was a 3 quarter view one that I remember in the arcade not being that bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first Aerosmith song I heard was the music video with Steven Tyler's daughter being sexy in it, which is weird.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

Are you talking about Revolution X where MUSIC IS YOUR WEAPON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXH8SN8OZXo
I remember you shooting CDs in this game, not like red balls. Also what did Aerosmith have against New Order?

That reminds me of the Moonwalker game, not the Genesis one, but there was a 3 quarter view one that I remember in the arcade not being that bad.

I never played Revolution X because Mortal Kombat 3 was right there.

The mid 90's was really the last time that Arcades were still better than consoles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

I never played Revolution X because Mortal Kombat 3 was right there.

The mid 90's was really the last time that Arcades were still better than consoles.

I only played it because the line to MK3 was too long.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ferrule posted:

And a cereal.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
[quote="twistedmentat" post=""495071097"]I got the impression from the Old rock guys I used to work with that Aerosmith was there, and they were good, but they couldn't compete with the Arena Rock bands of the time, but they were respected. They had no respect for their 90s output.
[/quote]
They were big in the 70s, and Toys in the Attic was a huge album. Then they faded away, and sort of came out of nowhere and did the remake of Walk This Way with Run DMC, and people remembered them. Then they went into that “album full of stripper staples” mode.

Or at least that’s how I remember it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They were big in the 70s, and Toys in the Attic was a huge album. Then they faded away, and sort of came out of nowhere and did the remake of Walk This Way with Run DMC, and people remembered them. Then they went into that “album full of stripper staples” mode.

Or at least that’s how I remember it.

So I guess they looked like a one album wonder back then? But yea, stripper music followed by your dads favorite band seems pretty right.

Also this from the wikipedia article

Wikipedia posted:

"Sweet Emotion" was covered by ska band The Mighty Mighty Bosstones on their EP Where'd You Go?.
That's some pretty 90s poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

video game cover art peaked in the 90s