Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Torrannor posted:

Lol, the most unworthy arena winner ever.

or the most worthy arena winner ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It is a pretty funny mental image of a huge dude decked out in more magic items then a dnd adventurer screaming in terror at a naked lady covered in blood and hopping into the vast astral to be lost forever

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Participating in the arena should be mandatory imo because it is funny

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
Incredible.....the deep power of these thugs......

*brutally murdered by a bunch of random mermen*

*terrified to death by a spell that costs a single gem to cast*

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
I like lammashtas and nobody ever casts them so i'm glad someone did :)

I am also glad that it ended hilariously badly :)

fwiw i think "summon lammashta" got a buff recently since now they enter from the edges of the battlefield

as opposed to starting right next to you and immediately cutting your head off with their swords

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

FilthIncarnate posted:

Incredible.....the deep power of these thugs......

*brutally murdered by a bunch of random mermen*

*terrified to death by a spell that costs a single gem to cast*

The horse equivalant of Domionions. Rip Thug, thought of ghosts and died.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

good thugs are fairly scary but bad ones are incredibly hilarious

gently caress vine shields

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

good thugs are fairly scary but bad ones are incredibly hilarious

gently caress vine shields

IM DELETING YOU, VINE SHIELD!😭👋 ██]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 10% complete..... ████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 35% complete.... ███████]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] 60% complete.... ███████████] 99% complete..... 🚫ERROR!🚫 💯True💯 Vine shields are irreplaceable 💖I could never delete you vine shield!💖 Send this to ten other 🍀Vine Shields🍀 who give you 🌿entangles🌿 Or never get called ☁️a thug☁️ again❌❌😬😬❌❌ If you get 0 Back: no entangles for you 🚫🚫👿 3 back: you're a thug☁️🌿 5 back: you're vine shield's super combatant 😤👼🌿

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is some truly inspired poo poo.

I'm disappointed that it's apparently so difficult to mod blesses. Perhaps we have to wait for Dominions 6. I do like how much the series progressed from it's Dom 3 days. You now have cool things like Sun Awe, which is an awe effect if the sun is shining on the units. So it doesn't work underwater and in cave provinces, while storm and rain make the morale check to resist the awe effect easier. And some of EA Xibalba's units have theft-of-the-sun-awe, which is only active if you've cast the national spell to actually steal the sun. I like how creative the devs have become with unit abilities.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't forget that if they steal the sun there's a global to make a new one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Lol if u ain’t second sun every game as abyss

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe
This LP has been incredible :allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Specineff posted:

This game is incredible :allears:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Turn 50

Here we go. Some minor unimportant screenshots got lost here but lets figure out what we can.

I summon some of these dudes for the Nazca attack. I just took another picture of terra cotta dudes. The lost shot is easily overcome.

C'tis overwrote my GoH with his own GoH and Phaecia gave him N gems for it it sounds. Phaecia! :argh:
I lost the image of the text from when it is cast, alas.

The screen grabs lost were pretty much all underwater C'tis terrorism and me kicking Eriu out of the lake so nothing much of importance.

Also all of my wizards fled the fort Eriu was taking from me and all but 2 made it back into the sea so not so bad.

Where the screenshots pick back up though...

Some more undersea skelespam.

Another undersea snake army this could be annoying to deal with all together.

I'm forgetting PD. I am getting sloppy here.

I don't think the temple was actually razed. I am now seiging the 0 PD Nazcan palisade as noone was patrolling so dudes are pinned there until I am knocked off.

Phelegra attacks my UW throne I didnt even notice these guys by the lake. 5 thugs is kind of a lot.

But I do have an army here.

Soul vortex could be a problem though I guess.

We manage to focus one down but the soul vortex is taking its toll on my vanilla line troops.

Cowards!

I check my prophet to see if I think he can kill them once they get to him or if he can pull this ou-

NO YOU COWARD COME BACK

MOTHERFUCKER

FUCKIN A

AUUUUGHHHH

Could I have prevented this? Yes, maybe? But oh my gosh I should have like cleared out the adjacent lake or something or or or or or or or

This is me casting baleful star from last turn. I'm in 'control' so I get the message.

The event for claiming the element throne hits the province, kicking me off the Nazca siege and replacing it with these dudes. The elements throne has this weird event chain that fires if you just claim it without jumping through a lot of hoops.

Shouldn't it be warlock master?

Marxism takes root.

The overview

im fukken howling

Counterstriking.

I can't lunge a win anymore so I am slinking back into the goddamn sea.

The escaped wizards from the Eriu siege are going to forts to study.

I am going to Gift of Reason a shrimp soldier to turn it into a commander. Shut up I need this.

aaaand final orders. god dammmmmitttt

fuuuuuuuuck

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"It's okay! It's okay! I'm gonna lunge for a wi-- FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Amazing plot twist!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't understand what happened. Or what's happening.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shrimp prophet

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yikes. That's a huge blow.

Bloodly posted:

Ramc had "control" of 3 Thrones of Ascension, and he needs 4 to win the game. He was preparing to conquer Nazca's heavily defended throne to end this, gathering a big army adjacent to it. At the same time, his second main army held one throne that was far away from his own ocean. His enemies conquered every adjacent province to that faraway throne. Then the 5 thugs attacked that throne province, and managed to rout the army. Since they had no friendly adjacent province to retreat to, they were wiped out to the last man. Including his prophet, who was a national hero (heroes are unique units that cannot be replaced), who was also his prophet. That's a huge loss of both troops and mages, and it will take Ramc a long time to both assemble another such army, and slowly trudge north to the throne again, since underwater movement is so slow.

Interesting distribution of globals. I expect somebody to backstab C'tis soon, because those are pretty good globals. +10 nature gems per turn from Mother Oak, +21 death gems from Well of Misery (as C'tis, one of the premier death magic nations!), +health for all friendly troops in his dominion from Gift of Health, and total spying of the whole world from Eyes of God. Eyes of God alone is something that usually makes other players very unhappy, the information gained from that enchantment can be very powerful.

Only Perpetual Storm is still up, and it's the only global that doesn't give it's caster any special benefits, it the effects on each province are the same regardless who put the spell up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bloodly posted:

So if an army gets defeated, the survivors retreat into the nearest province owned by the army owner. But if there's no friendly province for them to retreat to, those units just die.

Last turn, Ramc noted that this big old "I'm gonna try and grab a throne" army - representing a not-insubstantial investment of resources, gold, time, and probably gems, plus the new prophet he's been waiting a while to make - had had its line of retreat, which is to say the friendly province behind them, cut off. "But that's okay," he said, "I'm gonna use them to grab this throne and I'm sure they can handle whatever comes their way anyway."

They did not handle whatever came their way.

So now that big fuckoff army is gone. The dudes that retreated without ever actually fighting? Gone. The gems they were carrying? Gone. The equipment they'd been outfitted with? Gone.

So that's fun.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well it was going to be a rather anticlimactic LP ending if you just won so full points for entertainment value.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is this a Cataclysm game? If so, how far away is it?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Are there any "equaliser" style globals? The kind that you only cast when your armies all got murdered or you're just generally behind on resources? I loosely assumed Burden of Time is like that, but wondered if there's a more "rocks fall everyone dies" style thing?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

tarbrush posted:

Are there any "equaliser" style globals? The kind that you only cast when your armies all got murdered or you're just generally behind on resources? I loosely assumed Burden of Time is like that, but wondered if there's a more "rocks fall everyone dies" style thing?

utterdark lowers income in all provinces by 80%.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ah, there it is. I was waiting for the other foot to drop since a straightforward march to victory would not make for an entertaining LP (at least of the gameplay, this thread has been very entertaining).

It seems like losing "immediate threat to win" status could be a bit of a diplomatic opening to try and turn some of the heat towards CT who now has four out of five globals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Second Sun drastically increases heat in the whole world (unless the Xibalbans have stolen the real sun, then it's just a replacement), but a lot of nations take heat scales.

And Foul Air will basically spread disease over the whole world.

Edit: By the way, there's a spell that can only be cast when Eyes of God is up, called Fate of Oedipus. It burns out the eyes of the EoG caster, ending the global. It's super expensive at 75 fire gems, but it's a guaranteed way to end Eyes of God, no matter how many astral pearls were pumped into the spell.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 13, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Aside from Utterdark, there's also there's also Astral Corruption - though Pelagia can't cast that due to the high Blood requirements.

Or, since Ramc's playing Pelagia with their utterly stupid pearl income, casting Wish to cause the apocalypse (repeatedly) is another "fun" spell to be casting. It just flat out kills 1/4 of the world's population, along with the chance of a decently powerful hit on every unit in the game, every time it's cast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is the part of the lp where the coalition collapses on itself and spite rules the day right

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Incidentally this is about when I finally started the LP. I discussed with a wartime consigliere about starting it in media res with this terrible self own and a freeze frame record scratch you are probably wondering how we got here talking heads this is not my beautiful house how did i get here flashback to turn 1 thing so you can imagine I did if that makes everything funnier for you.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
C'tis is playing a diplo blinder or will be if he can keep Ramc as the big bad after this

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
who's laughing at thugs now, ramc? WHO

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Istvun posted:

who's laughing at thugs now, ramc? WHO

In retrospect I really appreciate that until this very moment when they started casting soul vortex these tyrants have been a complete joke.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
it was this battle that made me realize that I should have been making skull staffs for the D2 tyrants this whole time

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

There are a lot of gently caress-the-world globals, but none of them really function as an equalizer.

In Dominions, gold dominant in the first half of the game. You use it to buy mages, armies, and fortresses which give you territories, gem sites, and research. You need a large amount of research to cast a global, you usually need more gem income than your opponents, and it paints a giant kick-me sign on your back. On top of that stronger nations are usually better equipped to adapt to the changed conditions.

Diplomacy tends to be the equalizer, under the don't-be-the-hitler rule. If you're too far behind though there's no catching up because nations have to scale research exponentially and at a certain point people will see you as a free lunch. If you're in that position the best thing you can do is try your hardest to gently caress over the person who hosed you. Mages can do a lot of damage if you don't care about survival, and what you might consider trinkets or pitiful amounts of gems/slaves could be vital to their rival breaking into schools.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The central rule of dominions is that you will lose, you just exist to spite the guy who kills you off by taking him with you and then laughing together at the poor suckers who remain in the game with 80 min hell turns.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What does Soul Vortex do?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tevery Best posted:

What does Soul Vortex do?

A Soul Vortex sucks out the life of every (living) being around the caster, replenishing the caster's HP and reducing his fatigue.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It is possible to combo this with phoenix pyre, a fire spell that explodes you and revives you on a random place on the battlefield if you die with less than 100 fatigue. Earth magic also works well with this combo since it can give you a lot of reinvigoration and damage resistance. You generally also want something to keep your morale high since getting repeatedly killed isn't exactly a pleasant experience.

But seriously, what are the odds of someone having berserking fire/earth/death mages who can actually fight? Preposterous.

:v:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

my dad posted:

It is possible to combo this with phoenix pyre, a fire spell that explodes you and revives you on a random place on the battlefield if you die with less than 100 fatigue. Earth magic also works well with this combo since it can give you a lot of reinvigoration and damage resistance. You generally also want something to keep your morale high since getting repeatedly killed isn't exactly a pleasant experience.

But seriously, what are the odds of someone having berserking fire/earth/death mages who can actually fight? Preposterous.

:v:

This is very cool and I like this idea for the game I am playing Phlegra in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Does Phoenix Pyre work underwater though?