Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
SA these days is probably the most normal a website has ever been because I find social media much more full of horrible poo poo than this forum nowadays.

This forum is basically a sanctuary in 2019 where we have 8chan shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

It's because everyone else are proletariats who couldn't afford the ten bux and got radicalized by fascists.

The real bourgeois was us all along.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
what fates could have been avoided if the forums never opened... mysteries

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

asaf posted:

what fates could have been avoided if the forums never opened... mysteries

HRC would have won, for start

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Pandora's Box of the Internet.

Now we're all hosed.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Whoever made this training, literally kill you'reself.

e. Capital W Welcome.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
'Valued Partner Induction Training', goddamn.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve always viewed SA as the premium lounge at the airport: sliding doors that only open with a :10bux: bill, sound-proofing so you don’t hear the chaos, large one way mirror walls, and an enthusiastic bouncer.

Every so often I sign up to a different forum for a specific question, but I always end up regretting it bc the internet is full of super angry men.

Not to make it seem like I need a Safe Space (TM), I just want a chill place to hangout.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Elevator music playing in all threads.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3k3kwb/jeff-bezos-is-a-post-earth-capitalist

quote:

Thursday night, ultra-billionaire Jeff Bezos—whose net worth is in excess of $157 billion—outlined a vision of an “incredible civilization” with trillions of people living in space, at a small, invite only event in Washington, DC.

quote:

Bezos argued that space “colonies” are a solution to humanity’s “long range” problems, like energy availability and ceilings on capitalist notions of unfettered, limitless growth. Space colonies, Bezos said, are a way to expand the human population and offset the impacts of agriculture and industry on Earth. This strategy, according to Bezos, leaves Earth an idyllic paradise: a place to go on vacation, a place to go to college—in other words, a place for the elite.

Can't wait for the future where my descendants will toil in the amazon asteroid mines to ensure a healthy annual growth for octillionaires who survive for hundreds of years in orbital palaces thanks to cryogenic storage and the blood of the young.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Guillotines don't work in zero-g.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

They can be fired into the sun. No cleanup required that way too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elman posted:

counterpoint: motorized array centrifugal guillotine

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Elman posted:

what if you attach tiny rockets to the blade to shove it towards the neck

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
big magnets

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

the other suggestions are good but this one is the best because goddamn

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
all of my searches for electromagnetic guillotine were guillotines being slowed down as they reached the chopping point by magnetism. i want to see a loving MRI with a steel bladed guillotine attached to the top. gently caress off gravity, we're accelerating faster than that

wait actually you make an MRI where as the magnets wind up once they reach a certain speed a blade is released that flies through the center and decapitates the person laying in the middle

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I worked at Best Buy for about a week back in my early 20's, the training was atrocious. It was ~50% bullshit like this and 50% ways to push their lovely protection plans on customers. You would get called out for every single purchase if you didn't sell one.

One day I wore a dark brown belt instead of a black one and was pulled aside by three different managers telling me why that is against the dress code, and I did not come back the next day.

for actual content, not an image but relevant to the thread: A year or two ago I read about this company that was offering free coding classes to former coal miners in Appalachia, in which they would be paid while studying and promising them jobs once they completed the class. They got a $1.5 M grant from the state to do so. Turned out to be a total fraud - they didn't actually pay the students anything, so a bunch of people who quit their regular jobs and purchased laptops were hosed, and only one person actually got a job afterwards but was fired after a few months. There was supposed to be a big project everyone was going to work on once they graduated, but it turned out to be a website for a small business owned by the founders' parents. Meanwhile the founders spent the money traveling the world and throwing parties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/us/mined-minds-west-virginia-coding.html

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I worked at Best Buy for about a week back in my early 20's, the training was atrocious. It was ~50% bullshit like this and 50% ways to push their lovely protection plans on customers. You would get called out for every single purchase if you didn't sell one.

I worked at Best Buy one Christmas season and can confirm this is a thing. Multiple managers each day would come by and ask why I was having such a hard time selling the plans and they wouldn't have a good reply to "because every time I bought it you guys screwed me over when it came to using it"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

I worked at Best Buy one Christmas season and can confirm this is a thing. Multiple managers each day would come by and ask why I was having such a hard time selling the plans and they wouldn't have a good reply to "because every time I bought it you guys screwed me over when it came to using it"

The only time I've ever bought a best buy protection plan was when my Wii controller stopped working so I bought a new one with a protection plan and the next day returned the broken one.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

The only time I've ever bought a best buy protection plan was when my Wii controller stopped working so I bought a new one with a protection plan and the next day returned the broken one.

this doesn’t work anymore because they check the serial numbers now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DrManiac posted:

this doesn’t work anymore because they check the serial numbers now

Switch the stickers, or are they embedded?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tashilicious posted:

I mean literally /pol/ is what happens when the horrible poo poo gets kicked off SA

I think lowtax or someone said "flush a turd and it goes to the sewers"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Socks4Hands posted:

all of my searches for electromagnetic guillotine were guillotines being slowed down as they reached the chopping point by magnetism. i want to see a loving MRI with a steel bladed guillotine attached to the top. gently caress off gravity, we're accelerating faster than that

wait actually you make an MRI where as the magnets wind up once they reach a certain speed a blade is released that flies through the center and decapitates the person laying in the middle

happy death day 2 had a magnetized mri death, it was cool

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

THIS! THIS loving THINGSPIGGGAAAAAAHHH!
I work customer support and our regular training would be these.
And there would also be one loving question that would be vague or open to interpretation. So it could be multiple answers.
We complained so many years about it. But nothing was done.
They only stopped when the department was cut in half, now they cant even get a single page of rules completed on time.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1x7pfH8fw&t=4s

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

happyhippy posted:

THIS! THIS loving THINGSPIGGGAAAAAAHHH!
I work customer support and our regular training would be these.
And there would also be one loving question that would be vague or open to interpretation. So it could be multiple answers.
We complained so many years about it. But nothing was done.
They only stopped when the department was cut in half, now they cant even get a single page of rules completed on time.

When I started at my last job they gave me some test on how to powerpoint, except it was automated and not actually powerpoint but screenshots of powerpoint that had click maps on them. So you had to do stuff like:

"Save the Document":
Ok, I'll just hit Ctrl-S and- WRONG ENTRY DETECTED, YOU HAVE ONE ATTEMPT REMAINING
... o...kay, I'll just hit the floppy disk icon in the toolbar then- WRONG, YOU HAVE FAILED THIS PROBLEM

The entire thing was like that, and I failed most of the babby's first program questions like that one because I don't do things in the absolute least efficient way possible so it marked it as wrong. Meanwhile I got all the more complex questions (which have only one real way to do them) right :v:

At least in my case, I was the last person to ever have to take that test because it was so goddamn worthless, but I assume if the company were any bigger everyone would still be taking that to this day or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3k3kwb/jeff-bezos-is-a-post-earth-capitalist

Can't wait for the future where my descendants will toil in the amazon asteroid mines to ensure a healthy annual growth for octillionaires who survive for hundreds of years in orbital palaces thanks to cryogenic storage and the blood of the young.

Capitalists get to walk outside into the light, breathe pure air, look up at a blue sky, and see something that gives them hope. And what do they do? They look past that light, past that blue sky. They see the stars, and they think, 'Mine.'

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

I was about to ask " but what about the 2 year warranty" but then I remembered I'm in the EU and Best Buy is a North American thing.

Lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was about to ask " but what about the 2 year warranty" but then I remembered I'm in the EU and Best Buy is a North American thing.

Lol

A lot of the things Best Buy sells also come with their own warranties, best buy sells ~insurance~ on top of that through deceptive sales practices and makes something like a 5000% margin on it.

e: In this particular case, they probably could have gotten the thing replaced via warranty but this way they scammed best buy in the process :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Elman posted:

pnuematic press guilotines.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

A lot of the things Best Buy sells also come with their own warranties, best buy sells ~insurance~ on top of that through deceptive sales practices and makes something like a 5000% margin on it.

e: In this particular case, they probably could have gotten the thing replaced via warranty but this way they scammed best buy in the process :shrug:

that's praxis

also I'm in favour of using MRI guillotines, those things are the best example of something that really should be a death machine given it's design, but then doctors went and made it an anti-death machine. If you're putting super powerful magnets around my brain it should be to explode the iron in my blood or something

e: Crassus idea: magnetized gold pieces + MRI

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ruddiger posted:

pnuematic press guilotines.

how about just the pneumatic press? the gallery can all do the kids in the hall "im crushing your head" bit for added levity

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

satellite mounted orbital railguns that shoot tungsten guillotine blades with perfect accuracy anywhere on earth
:goonsay:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

One day I wore a dark brown belt instead of a black one and was pulled aside by three different managers telling me why that is against the dress code, and I did not come back the next day.

for actual content, not an image but relevant to the thread: A year or two ago I read about this company that was offering free coding classes to former coal miners in Appalachia, in which they would be paid while studying and promising them jobs once they completed the class. They got a $1.5 M grant from the state to do so. Turned out to be a total fraud - they didn't actually pay the students anything, so a bunch of people who quit their regular jobs and purchased laptops were hosed, and only one person actually got a job afterwards but was fired after a few months. There was supposed to be a big project everyone was going to work on once they graduated, but it turned out to be a website for a small business owned by the founders' parents. Meanwhile the founders spent the money traveling the world and throwing parties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/us/mined-minds-west-virginia-coding.html

lol like pretty much all 'coding camps' are frauds -- most of the time they amount to employer training but they make the employees pay for it and in the end they only have to take the people that they like on as actual employees

this one was just an even more sinister one

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1127936541165346816

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah thats definitely an example of one of those 'smart-person-for-dumb-people' type quotes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

More like stamp a label on it that says "50% more glass BONUS!"

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
redesign the glass so it holds less water but charge the same price for it :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can totally design a glass to look like it's bigger than it is. I had some drinks with some friends one Summer and was really confused because we all had the same number of schnapps but I ended up a lot more drunk. Turns out that despite not looking like it, my schnapps glass was 2½ times the size of the ones everyone else was drinking out of (because I didn't have enough of that type).