Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Verisimilidude posted:

And if you don't even consider your racial stat bonuses on character creation, why even bother having them?

I think this bit got edited in, sorry for missing it

I don't disregard the bonuses but they're tertiary to me behind racial abilities and how I imaginr the look of a character.

I wouldn't weep if they were done away with but I think they make decision making mire complex for a player who doesn't focus on max efficiency. So, yes, in a way I'm arguing for this because it's what I like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

"These people are smarter, those people are stronger, these other people are inherently more likeable" stuff has uncomfortable present-day real-world parallels, while "these people spit fire, those other people breathe underwater, these other people can have conversations with trees" generally does not.

So reflect that with something fantastic rather than "humans, but a bit smarter on average".
Are you seriously offended by the stat bonuses of different character options in a fantasy RPG? Or is this some kind of weird oppression Olympics for nobody in particular?

It's okay that twelve foot giants are stronger than real people. It's okay that psionic mind flayers are hyperintelligent. It's okay that faeries are supernaturally attractive to everybody. But it's problematic for a player to have these characteristics for their characters?

RPGs are definitely a blank slate that can have ugly and inappropriate themes when fleshed out, but it seems like you're really grasping for something here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Elves are real. Orcs are real. I play D&D because racism is real, and strong, and my friend.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Did not expect :biotruths: in the D&D Thread

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

mango sentinel posted:

Did not expect :biotruths: in the D&D Thread

When I broached this subject before the most common response was something like "a halfling is always weaker but faster and smarter than a half orc. that's science"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Infinite Karma posted:

oppression Olympics

Lol gently caress off

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone got a ~3rd level adventure with a small town and nearby rear end in a top hat wizard?

I've got the kernel of an idea for short adventure where a wizard is "stealing" words from a nearby village (thanks Austin Walker!) I'd like some bones to lay that idea on.

Just steal the first day of Kingdom Hearts 2 only make Diz the guy behind the thief.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Josef bugman posted:

So, I have a question to ask everyone.

Is there any way that DnD can't be about colonial violence and taking and murdering other folks for their stuff?

I saw this tweet and want to make sure that I am not doing this as much as possible:

https://twitter.com/cali_keftiu/status/1126008719999885312

Oh, friend, hello!

I brought this exact question up earlier in the "Facists in Trad Gaming" a couple weeks ago because it has been tearing at me for years.
It's an incredibly complex question, and I need to get to bed soon, but one aspect that has not been discussed yet here is that it is implicit in the alignment structure that authoritarianism is considered morally superior to anti-authoritarianism. If you look closely, you can see that this was known to the designers of 3rd edition to be a problem, and I think there's some evidence that this is the case in 5th edition as well. I just think that it was a bizarre position for the game to take as it seems to me that the type of people who would most likely become adventurers would tend to be anti-authoriatrian.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

So, I have a question to ask everyone.

Is there any way that DnD can't be about colonial violence and taking and murdering other folks for their stuff?

I saw this tweet and want to make sure that I am not doing this as much as possible:

https://twitter.com/cali_keftiu/status/1126008719999885312

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, friend, hello!

I brought this exact question up earlier in the "Facists in Trad Gaming" a couple weeks ago because it has been tearing at me for years.
It's an incredibly complex question, and I need to get to bed soon, but one aspect that has not been discussed yet here is that it is implicit in the alignment structure that authoritarianism is considered morally superior to anti-authoritarianism. If you look closely, you can see that this was known to the designers of 3rd edition to be a problem, and I think there's some evidence that this is the case in 5th edition as well. I just think that it was a bizarre position for the game to take as it seems to me that the type of people who would most likely become adventurers would tend to be anti-authoriatrian.

When you asked that question, I was gonna make a thread about building RPG settings so we can discuss that stuff without people who just want to slay orcs without thinking about it having to read about it. For whatever reason I forgot, but here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889405

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm 100% fine with existing settings as they are, it's good for people who don't want to put any work into things. In the end, it is after all a game about peoples that just don't exist and it is fine for people to simply want to traverse dungeons, kill monsters, and collect loot as the base game is designed for.

However I am a big fan of making the various humanoid peoples not so entirely chained down by their common alignments. Hobgoblins actually show some of this already, with the fact that they can make for an enemy that makes more sense than just a random monster in a dungeon. The Invader. They'll bring their goblinoid kin together, along with conscripting(well, or enslaving) other creatures for their war machine. However they don't seek to destroy, they seek to conquer and expand while bringing citizens of lands they take into the fold.

It's a far more interesting take than usual. You could easily push it even further really. I think it was Matt Colville who made a video which asked the question, "If the nations of your world aren't at war, then why not?" Going into the nuances of diplomacy, land and resources make for a far more morally grey setting and there's no reason this has to only be limited to what you can play out of the PHB.

But again some people just want to dungeoncrawl instead of trying to go all Total War in their D&D.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I did kind of think its a bit weird to have "well most of them lean towards evil" to which I have to laugh.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I did kind of think its a bit weird to have "well most of them lean towards evil" to which I have to laugh.
*a group of adventurers sit around the campfire* WAIT ARE WE THE EVIL GUYS???

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

*a group of adventurers sit around the campfire* WAIT ARE WE THE EVIL GUYS???

I more meant the whole "hobgoblins are an aggressive, expansionist power" and I then compare it to all the human kingdoms and just sort of raise an eyebrow.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I more meant the whole "hobgoblins are an aggressive, expansionist power" and I then compare it to all the human kingdoms and just sort of raise an eyebrow.
Yes, military expansionism is innately a source of evil no matter the specie. I think the human kingdoms would argue that they can "sometime" be better and use diplomacy and that goblins only know war and that therefor humans are better but it's probably not by a large margin. And it may be based on prejudice.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Well you see, our expansion ranges on a spectrum between defensively searching for room and resources to live in a calm and orderly fashion < > rugged groups of individualist frontiersmen carving paradise from terra nullius.

Their expansion, on the other hand, is on a scale of oppressive militarized colonialism < > rampaging hordes.

Says so right on this diagram that we made up. Can't argue with the diagram.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 13, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

What do you mean?

The most direct shorthand is that Lawful characters are predisposed to respect authority and Chaotic characters to shun it, but I feel like the idea that chaos is inherently evil and law is inherently good made its way out of the game a very long time ago in any real way. Is there an obvious thing I'm missing?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So libertarians are Chaotic Evil, and tankies Lawful Good?

Edit: In what way did earlier editions assume Law=good? I know earlier editions actually had mechanical consequence for alignments, so what effects indicated that?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So libertarians are Chaotic Evil, and tankies Lawful Good?

Edit: In what way did earlier editions assume Law=good? I know earlier editions actually had mechanical consequence for alignments, so what effects indicated that?

I thought at one point law and chaos was the only alignment axis, and evildoers tended to be chaotic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought at one point law and chaos was the only alignment axis, and evildoers tended to be chaotic.

Yeah, this is true in OD&D. Law is conflated with communal values and Chaos with individualist ones, and the early books basically said outright that chaotic behavior tended to resemble "evil". You could be a chaotic hero or lawful villain in theory, but in practice that isn't how things worked.

Re: the politics question, I honestly think it's fair to map Good/Evil to the Left/Right axis and Law/Chaos to Auth/Anti-auth on the political compass. A sane, rational Chaotic Evil person is basically just a "true" objectivist: the only thing that matters is what they want, and they don't give a gently caress about the damage they cause other people or society in the taking.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

In BECMI basic there's only law / neutrality / chaos. The book explicitly tells you "Lawful behavior would usually be described as good" and "Chaotic behavior would usually be described as evil". Neutral are explicitly "neither side must have too much power" bullshit centrists.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mr. Lobe posted:

Law/Chaos was the thing in Redbox/Bluebox D&D, and in the Cyclopedia (the highest expression to-date of the Gygaxian Arts).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do not understand the whole "there needs to be a balance" thing that exists in some parts of the lore.

Like I can understand "to put it bluntly the Abyss is too powerful and it kind of sucks but we have to deal with it for now" but not "MORE PUPPIES TO THE FIRE, WE NEED TO BALANCE OUT GOOD ACTIONS".

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I do not understand the whole "there needs to be a balance" thing that exists in some parts of the lore.

Like I can understand "to put it bluntly the Abyss is too powerful and it kind of sucks but we have to deal with it for now" but not "MORE PUPPIES TO THE FIRE, WE NEED TO BALANCE OUT GOOD ACTIONS".

I kinda feel like the one good thing Dragonlance did as a setting was have its take on the "need for balance" be "when good gets too strong it attracts zealots and they do evil in the name of being extra-good, so, no, it isn't for the best if the priests of the good gods just get to run everything." Not that their execution was always ideal, but it at least stayed away from the "MORE PUPPIES TO THE FIRE" aspect.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Basically you should do your balance of light and darkness like Kingdom Hearts and instead of good and evil it's more like positivity and negativity. Here let me get my slides, you see Xemnas represents...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Glagha posted:

Basically you should do your balance of light and darkness like Kingdom Hearts and instead of good and evil it's more like positivity and negativity. Here let me get my slides, you see Xemnas represents...

No.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

What do you mean?

The most direct shorthand is that Lawful characters are predisposed to respect authority and Chaotic characters to shun it, but I feel like the idea that chaos is inherently evil and law is inherently good made its way out of the game a very long time ago in any real way. Is there an obvious thing I'm missing?

No. I’m mostly referring to an issue that stems from OD&D and BECMI. It’s just the tendency of unexamined problems to be inherited to descendant products, partially because of shared audience. Splitting ‘morality’ into it’s own axis diminished this problem, but I don’t think it eliminated it. Which were the alignments with two axis that they felt it was important to keep in 4e, for instance?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm a fan of SotDL's system, where being a huge dick or learning Forbidden Magic nets you Corruption - a metaphysical stain upon your soul that will condemn you to Hell upon death. The only way to get rid of it is to devote yourself to selfless pursuits, or accept your fate and submit to the "tender attentions" of the devils that will feed on it before sending your soul back into the circle of reincarnation.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gesundheit

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I always felt like it made more sense for ability score bonuses to be attributed to cultural or background forces rather than what species the player character is. Like sure, some Orcs are stronger than most people but if you get Tim the Orc who spent his whole life eating chips and reading up on government conspiracy theories i'd think that would have a much larger impact on his strength than some muscles his ancestors had.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Arrrthritis posted:

I always felt like it made more sense for ability score bonuses to be attributed to cultural or background forces rather than what species the player character is. Like sure, some Orcs are stronger than most people but if you get Tim the Orc who spent his whole life eating chips and reading up on government conspiracy theories i'd think that would have a much larger impact on his strength than some muscles his ancestors had.

You can totally play an Orc with 10 strength, that never gets better.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The writing and themes of the Book of Exalted Deeds sand the Book of Vile Darkness were absolute garbage, but the idea that there was lowercase good and evil that are just philosophical beliefs, and uppercase Good and Evil and Law and Chaos that have magical/metaphyt properties and physical effects/consequences was good.

Random libertarian is just evil, and regular necromancy is just magic, but the necromancer who channels demonic energy is using Evil. And just like Fire and Water are elemental forces, so are the alignments... but you have to channel them in a magical way for it to matter in-character.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

player: so when I rage I become immune to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage?

me, dm: no, just resistant

player: you know what I mean, I take less damage?

me: yes, but you're not immune

player: I know the difference

~~gameday~~

me: the arrow hits you for 8 piercing damage, so you take 4 damage

player: but I thought I was immune??

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Something I got excited about in 5e was no penalties to ability scores for races. I always thought dwarves taking a hit to Charisma for the crime of being a fuckin dwarf was bullshit. It drove me away from being a COOL DRAGONBORN MONK in Pathfinder because my dragonborn would be arbitrarily less dextrous despite being an anime.

Granted, they walked that back with some of the Volo's races, most glaringly with orcs taking an intelligence hit for no good reason. I think kobolds get a negative too? I'm completely in favor of ditching racial stat bonuses and just giving everyone a +2 and +1 to stats of their choice.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Yeah, you can always trust your players to completely ignore everything on their character sheets and not only forget everything they have but also invent new abilities entirely.

I'm personally on board with giving all players a +2/+1/+1 to distribute as they like, since adventurers are all meant to be statistical anomalies at the ends of the bell curve anyways. Between generic ability bonuses and a free level 1 feat, I'd actually feel good about playing things besides Vuman.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, the fixed bonuses kind of suck, I wish they were all just floating anyway.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
The first character I ever wanted to roll was a half-orc rogue; raised by rogue mom until she was caught & jailed, tried joining dad's war party but kicked out because "orcs aren't rogues", now adventuring to prove that orcs can too be rogues. I'm sure a good DM could tweak the racial stats to account for upbringing; say you get STR/DEX +1 each instead of STR +2, you start with a rogue-related Feat, you can use a light crossbow one-handed, you have disadvantage on disguise-related checks, and you can't speak Orcish. Like the first line in the DMG is "you're the rules admin, you can pick and choose which ones make the game more fun"

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 13, 2019

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does it make more sense to take Alert (initiative buff), Athlete (tons of movement perks), or Skulker (dim vision and hiding buff) for the level 10 fighter/rogue archer I’m making for a one-off game? Already have sharpshooter and maxed dex.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

change my name posted:

Does it make more sense to take Alert (initiative buff), Athlete (tons of movement perks), or Skulker (dim vision and hiding buff) for the level 10 fighter/rogue archer I’m making for a one-off game? Already have sharpshooter and maxed dex.

Alert, probably. Rogues live or die by going first.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

lightrook posted:

Yeah, you can always trust your players to completely ignore everything on their character sheets and not only forget everything they have but also invent new abilities entirely.

I'm personally on board with giving all players a +2/+1/+1 to distribute as they like, since adventurers are all meant to be statistical anomalies at the ends of the bell curve anyways. Between generic ability bonuses and a free level 1 feat, I'd actually feel good about playing things besides Vuman.

Variant Human should just be Variant Anyone, it's really the most straightforward solution to this complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^^^ Yeah that. Variant Anything.

change my name posted:

Mobile would help you more in combat than Athlete.