Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone already suggested "Aw shucks," which I liked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I've got a bit of a weird issue here. It's not really an update to my old issues that I posted here, but more of a new issue that cropped up.

I have a tower with JBOD right now that I use for movie and TV show storage and serving, as well as some gaming from Nvidia Shield boxes. I ran out of room in the case but it had a spare spot for a laptop hard drive. I bought a 2TB Western Digital one. It's purpose is to be the temp/new download folder, since I figured I'd let this smaller drive die earlier than an 8tb one that has a ton of movies on it. Also the only drives I've ever had die on me were laptop drives so I figured they aren't built as well as 3.5"" drives. So this laptop drive handling a bunch of data being written to it all day, especially with my home monitoring cameras constantly writing to it.

Anyway this worked fine for two months or so. Then the other day I was getting like 60kbps from SABNZBD when I normally get 900kbps. Since usenet is usually always the same speed, I thought this was weird. As a small test, I copied some files from the 2.5" drive to a 3.5" drive and it was taking forever. I'm talking two hours to move a 4gb file. Windows was reporting that it was transferring at 7mbps which is pathetic.

I pulled it out of the tower and plugged it into an external USB enclosure, thinking maybe my on board SATA port poo poo the bed. It was just as bad. Took forever to even load the contents of a folder. I did a hard drive scan with the Western Digital software and it took 26 loving hours. For reference, I did the same deep scan on a 3.5" drive and it took around 6 hours. Anyway, the scan found no errors. And Crystal Disk Info found no issues with the drive. So it's not even defective somehow.

Anyway my questions are,

1) is this drive shot but is just not reporting errors?

2)Did I seriously kill a drive in just two months? If it's fine, why did it have no issues handling downloads at full speed for two months?

3)if I get a replacement drive is it just going to do this again in two months? The drive runs very cool so heat isn't doing anything to it.

4) I plan to set up Stablebit Drivepool and snapraid soon. Is a laptop drive, even if running at full speed, going to slow down the entire computer? Keep in mind this is all software stuff, no raid hardware is going to be used at all

Anyway I'd appreciate any input on this. I'd just say gently caress it and throw the drive out as 2gb isn't much anyway but I really like the idea of a drive just for stuff being constantly written to it all day for my security cameras and downloads, so a 2tb drive that does nothing else is nice, and it's not taking up space that an 8tb one would. Anyway thanks in advance for any insight!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mystes posted:

Someone already suggested "Aw shucks," which I liked better.

:wrong:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I've got a bit of a weird issue here. It's not really an update to my old issues that I posted here, but more of a new issue that cropped up.

I have a tower with JBOD right now that I use for movie and TV show storage and serving, as well as some gaming from Nvidia Shield boxes. I ran out of room in the case but it had a spare spot for a laptop hard drive. I bought a 2TB Western Digital one. It's purpose is to be the temp/new download folder, since I figured I'd let this smaller drive die earlier than an 8tb one that has a ton of movies on it. Also the only drives I've ever had die on me were laptop drives so I figured they aren't built as well as 3.5"" drives. So this laptop drive handling a bunch of data being written to it all day, especially with my home monitoring cameras constantly writing to it.

Anyway this worked fine for two months or so. Then the other day I was getting like 60kbps from SABNZBD when I normally get 900kbps. Since usenet is usually always the same speed, I thought this was weird. As a small test, I copied some files from the 2.5" drive to a 3.5" drive and it was taking forever. I'm talking two hours to move a 4gb file. Windows was reporting that it was transferring at 7mbps which is pathetic.

I pulled it out of the tower and plugged it into an external USB enclosure, thinking maybe my on board SATA port poo poo the bed. It was just as bad. Took forever to even load the contents of a folder. I did a hard drive scan with the Western Digital software and it took 26 loving hours. For reference, I did the same deep scan on a 3.5" drive and it took around 6 hours. Anyway, the scan found no errors. And Crystal Disk Info found no issues with the drive. So it's not even defective somehow.

Anyway my questions are,

1) is this drive shot but is just not reporting errors?

2)Did I seriously kill a drive in just two months? If it's fine, why did it have no issues handling downloads at full speed for two months?

3)if I get a replacement drive is it just going to do this again in two months? The drive runs very cool so heat isn't doing anything to it.

4) I plan to set up Stablebit Drivepool and snapraid soon. Is a laptop drive, even if running at full speed, going to slow down the entire computer? Keep in mind this is all software stuff, no raid hardware is going to be used at all

Anyway I'd appreciate any input on this. I'd just say gently caress it and throw the drive out as 2gb isn't much anyway but I really like the idea of a drive just for stuff being constantly written to it all day for my security cameras and downloads, so a 2tb drive that does nothing else is nice, and it's not taking up space that an 8tb one would. Anyway thanks in advance for any insight!

Have you checked fragmentation on the drive? It would make sense if it was fast when empty (and thus, all writes were sequential) and then slowed down as it found itself having to do lots of seeks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
How do I feel about this guy's build list: https://blog.briancmoses.com/2019/03/diy-nas-2019-edition.html ?

Using all 2.5" drives makes me feel slightly :ohdear: but I don't actually know anything about this sort of thing so :shrug:?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Honestly look at his build, I have way more storage a better cpu, and I got a synology DS1019+ with 5 seawolfs for like 1/2 the price he paid to make that all...

He chose a few expensive choices and it doesn't seem to have a lot of data in comparison cost per Tb.

I guess he really really wanted to make sure that his nas was small :shrug:

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Have you checked fragmentation on the drive? It would make sense if it was fast when empty (and thus, all writes were sequential) and then slowed down as it found itself having to do lots of seeks.

Do laptop hard drives fragment quicker than 3.5" drives? Only asking because I've never had this issue with any of my other *checks notes* 22 hard drives

Edit: just checked and windows 10 says the drive is 0% fragmented

frh fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 13, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Schadenboner posted:

How do I feel about this guy's build list: https://blog.briancmoses.com/2019/03/diy-nas-2019-edition.html ?

Using all 2.5" drives makes me feel slightly :ohdear: but I don't actually know anything about this sort of thing so :shrug:?

The vast, vast majority of ruggedized edge of cloud/IoT devices use 2.5" disks with no problem. I've used those seagates he specs in a lot of stuff like that with no issues and would recommend them. If you like his form factor and don't want to rackmount eventually, I find no fault in his logic. I'd probably quadruple the ram, but you can see the specs I'm running at home on the last page just for personal use; I like to overkill things.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Do laptop hard drives fragment quicker than 3.5" drives? Only asking because I've never had this issue with any of my other *checks notes* 22 hard drives

Edit: just checked and windows 10 says the drive is 0% fragmented

No, it was only a plausible WAG because laptop drives just perform worse that 3.5" drives in general, so if it was having to seek a lot, that would exaggerate the performance difference. I should have specifically asked about free space fragmentation as well as file fragmentation, as that would still make a difference in write speed, but it sounds like my guess was bad.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, I don't think that's a particularly attractive combo of form factor and capacity, personally. If you could squeeze in a second row of drives (and a SATA controller to attach them) or cut the vertical height in half then OK but the 8x3.5" form factor is still the best thing around (except maybe the 12x3.5" if you want to go there).

There's nothing wrong with 2.5" drives from a technical perspective though. The enterprise world uses them heavily, because it lets you get more parallelism in request throughput.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why on Earth aren't you using a SSD for a scratch drive? Even a cheap one in the 200-500gb range is worth it for that workload. Download things to that drive first, then move them off to your array so the array doesn't get fragmented.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why on Earth aren't you using a SSD for a scratch drive? Even a cheap one in the 200-500gb range is worth it for that workload. Download things to that drive first, then move them off to your array so the array doesn't get fragmented.

I thought SSDs weren't great for write speed (more for read speed?) and it's basically a fact that they die from too many writes, right? I would imagine my surveillance program writing to it literally 24 hours a day would kill it within a year or two, no?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Only exceptionally lovely SSDs are worse than spinning disk for writes. As far as endurance, even four years ago that was pretty much a myth.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Then don't write the 24/7 surveillance data to it. However, these days, drive wear isn't such a consideration as most people upgrade before reaching that issue.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

I thought SSDs weren't great for write speed (more for read speed?) and it's basically a fact that they die from too many writes, right? I would imagine my surveillance program writing to it literally 24 hours a day would kill it within a year or two, no?

Yeah like they said, it use to be the case that SSDs were basically swapped out almost yearly, but now days most SSD drives have similar life expectancy as HDDs. Cost per TB is a bit more though, and unless you have a unit designed to take advantage of the smaller form factor there isn't a huge reason for them unless you need insane read and write speed out of your drives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Xeon E5 at up to 3.2GHz with 12 threads, 32GB memory and a Mellanox NIC? That sounds like a rad machine to run FreeBSD on.
My N36L Microserver from 2011 is really starting to show its age. :sigh:

frh
Dec 6, 2014

I'd happily use an SSD as a scratch drive but it seems like a waste of money considering this drive did everything fine 2 months ago?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is anybody using an HP Microserver Gen10? Are they an awful value for money? I've been using an i5-4250u NUC that I got on eBay used for $110 with a 5TB external shingled Seagate hooked up to it as a VM host and NAS for almost 5 years now, and I finally want redundancy and more storage.

I'm willing to have a somewhat weird low performance setup in exchange for better power efficiency than mainstream parts could get me, but I don't want to be like that dude a few posts up who spent $1400 for 16TB raw storage. My current plan is shucking 4x10TB Easystores into a Microserver Gen10, but I could just as easily put an i3 into a Fractal Design Node 304 or something.

I want more than 16GB RAM, low power usage, and more CPU performance than a 15W Haswell. That's about all my requirements.

Edit with one more question: I have found near zero info about the Operon X3421 online. My current understanding is that it's two Excavator modules on 28nm at 35W TDP, right? Looks to perform favorably compared to Atoms, and C3xxx atoms look like a miserable value for money overall.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 13, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Unraid annoyance question: is there any current way to add a swap space to it? The last posts I saw we're from before they switched the cache drive to btrfs, which doesn't support swap. Why you ask? I'm on 8gb ram, which for Plex + Radarr + Sonarr + Hydra + Transmission + Syncthing + NZBget + traefik + even a VM to remote into... Is plenty.

But then you add in Crashplan, the memory slut.

Anyway, I now miss swap space as it's preferable to cpu usage going nuts, everything locking up and likely-not-crashplan getting killed by the kernel.

I'll try and buy some more memory for the ts430 but children eat money

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 13, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Heners_UK posted:

I'll try and buy some more memory for the ts430 but children eat money

We had this problem too until we discovered that they actually prefer eating food. Really ended up saving us a lot!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I'd happily use an SSD as a scratch drive but it seems like a waste of money considering this drive did everything fine 2 months ago?
Your drive is hosed, SMART is just a guidance and won't always show problems. If it's under warranty replace it.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Less Fat Luke posted:

Your drive is hosed, SMART is just a guidance and won't always show problems. If it's under warranty replace it.

I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks! I'll get it replaced asap

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Is anybody using an HP Microserver Gen10? Are they an awful value for money? I've been using an i5-4250u NUC that I got on eBay used for $110 with a 5TB external shingled Seagate hooked up to it as a VM host and NAS for almost 5 years now, and I finally want redundancy and more storage.

I'm willing to have a somewhat weird low performance setup in exchange for better power efficiency than mainstream parts could get me, but I don't want to be like that dude a few posts up who spent $1400 for 16TB raw storage. My current plan is shucking 4x10TB Easystores into a Microserver Gen10, but I could just as easily put an i3 into a Fractal Design Node 304 or something.

I want more than 16GB RAM, low power usage, and more CPU performance than a 15W Haswell. That's about all my requirements.

Edit with one more question: I have found near zero info about the Operon X3421 online. My current understanding is that it's two Excavator modules on 28nm at 35W TDP, right? Looks to perform favorably compared to Atoms, and C3xxx atoms look like a miserable value for money overall.

I have a Gen10 and it is awesome. The CPU is not some super stripped down or mobile line, but yeah information is a little sparse.

My only complaint is that the SSD mount on the top of the chassis is a $20 extra part that isn't included. All in with extra RAM and the SSD tray was only like $400ish off Amazon which is way better than anything else I could build that supports ECC in a small form factor.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 13, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

A Xeon E5 at up to 3.2GHz with 12 threads, 32GB memory and a Mellanox NIC? That sounds like a rad machine to run FreeBSD on.
My N36L Microserver from 2011 is really starting to show its age. :sigh:

ahem, *2 mellanox 10gbe nics* just don't have the other interface up and teamed yet since, bizarrely, FreeNAS doesn't support more than one interface with DHCP?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

ahem, *2 mellanox 10gbe nics* just don't have the other interface up and teamed yet since, bizarrely, FreeNAS doesn't support more than one interface with DHCP?
My apologies, it's an even cooler setup. :sigh:

I have iwn0 and em0 in a lagg(4) for fail-over (so when I go to and from my dock, I get a maximum of a few packets worth of loss. Both get their network configuration via DHCP, and it works flawlessly.
I don't know whether FreeNAS has done something to interfere with that; it doesn't seem plausible, but there's nothing about FreeBSD that should prevent DHCP from being used on both interfaces (if I recall correctly, DHCP is achieved through the Berkeley Packet Filter, and BPF is how tcpdump and ipfw also work - it's even how Linux does tracing, though they had to extend it as eBPF for that, instead of implementing dtrace)

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 13, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sheep posted:

I have a Gen10 and it is awesome. The CPU is not some super stripped down or mobile line, but yeah information is a little sparse.

My only complaint is that the SSD mount on the top of the chassis is a $20 extra part that isn't included. All in with extra RAM and the SSD tray was only like $400ish off Amazon which is way better than anything else I could build that supports ECC in a small form factor.

My other option I'm looking at also has ECC and is cheap-ish, which is putting an i3 in a mini-ITX supermicro board. That would have IPMI and way more CPU power, but I'm not sure about overall power consumption or nice-ness of case.

I'll probably just do the microserver. Do I need the SSD tray or can i just velcro that sucker in there? I've always just taped SSDs to the sides of cases.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

My other option I'm looking at also has ECC and is cheap-ish, which is putting an i3 in a mini-ITX supermicro board. That would have IPMI and way more CPU power, but I'm not sure about overall power consumption or nice-ness of case.

That's what I did. i3 7100, 32 GB of ECC RAM, a USB-to-SATA adapter for boot, and a 1 TB EX920 drive for scratch space, in a U-NAS 810A. With 8x8 TB shucked easystores it pulls about 70W on long idle, 80W on short idle, 90W when working with the NVMe (eg downloading/extracting), and about 130W when everything's working hard. I don't spin the drives down, you could potentially cut a bit more power there, and obviously if you are spinning four less drives that's about 20W of savings right there. (edit: I also forgot I have the infiniband adapter in it still, it's not in use but it may still be eating a couple watts too)

The 9-series have quad-core i3s with ECC support. Right now you would have to get a 9350KF and give up QuickSync but the 9300 should be coming pretty soon, and it turbos up to 4.2 GHz. Also, the next gen of supermicro boards (C246?) have a pair of NVMe slots at the full 4x lanes rather than the single 2x on the C236 boards (at least on the mATX versions, the mITX may only be a single slot). I'm half thinking I may sell my board and chip and upgrade at some point, but I don't really need to. Maybe once the 9300s come out.

The U-NAS chassis are nice for what they are. Just be aware you are in for a very tight build, SFF builds are not easy and it will take a while. I ended up cutting the excess cable strings off my PSU and putting heat-shrink over the ends to reduce the amount of clutter inside. At least on the 8-bay model, you will need a 24-pin extension and a CPU aux power extension that they don't mention. Also, that rubberized coating on the front is not that tough and I ended up scratching mine a bit, I'd recommend working on a towel.

http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17640&cat=249&page=1

http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17638&cat=249&page=1

edit: build pics of my 8-bay, before I cut off the spare power cable strings. Unfortunately I don't think I snapped any pics of it assembled but it is TIGHT, the PSU eats up almost all of that right side compartment and you have to wad up the excess SATA/USB/header/fan cables to get them out of the way, and the CPU/mobo extension connectors eat up a lot of space there too. At some point I am gonna pull that infiniband card, I'll snap some pics then.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 13, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I'll probably just do the microserver. Do I need the SSD tray or can i just velcro that sucker in there? I've always just taped SSDs to the sides of cases.

I think the SSD kit includes the special connector you need to get power up there, unfortunately. Again it's like $20 so not a huge investment but still an additional cost to be aware of.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I haven’t been keeping up with it, are any of the new AMD zen2s looking good for a NAS/VM box? Something low power with a bunch of cores and possibly ECC?

Thinking about moving my unraid setup off my old sandy bridge system.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

I haven’t been keeping up with it, are any of the new AMD zen2s looking good for a NAS/VM box? Something low power with a bunch of cores and possibly ECC?

Thinking about moving my unraid setup off my old sandy bridge system.

Nothing has officially been announced yet, but 6C or 8C on 7nm would obviously be pretty sweet for VM hosting.

Asrock did release an entry-level "server" board (X470D4U) with IPMI and official ECC support. Presumably it will be updated for Zen2 at some point here.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 13, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's what I did. i3 7100, 32 GB of ECC RAM, a USB-to-SATA adapter for boot, and a 1 TB EX920 drive for scratch space, in a U-NAS 810A. With 8x8 TB shucked easystores it pulls about 70W on long idle, 80W on short idle, 90W when working with the NVMe (eg downloading/extracting), and about 130W when everything's working hard. I don't spin the drives down, you could potentially cut a bit more power there, and obviously if you are spinning four less drives that's about 20W of savings right there. (edit: I also forgot I have the infiniband adapter in it still, it's not in use but it may still be eating a couple watts too)

The 9-series have quad-core i3s with ECC support. Right now you would have to get a 9350KF and give up QuickSync but the 9300 should be coming pretty soon, and it turbos up to 4.2 GHz. Also, the next gen of supermicro boards (C246?) have a pair of NVMe slots at the full 4x lanes rather than the single 2x on the C236 boards (at least on the mATX versions, the mITX may only be a single slot). I'm half thinking I may sell my board and chip and upgrade at some point, but I don't really need to. Maybe once the 9300s come out.

The U-NAS chassis are nice for what they are. Just be aware you are in for a very tight build, SFF builds are not easy and it will take a while. I ended up cutting the excess cable strings off my PSU and putting heat-shrink over the ends to reduce the amount of clutter inside. At least on the 8-bay model, you will need a 24-pin extension and a CPU aux power extension that they don't mention. Also, that rubberized coating on the front is not that tough and I ended up scratching mine a bit, I'd recommend working on a towel.

http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17640&cat=249&page=1

http://www.u-nas.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17638&cat=249&page=1

edit: build pics of my 8-bay, before I cut off the spare power cable strings. Unfortunately I don't think I snapped any pics of it assembled but it is TIGHT, the PSU eats up almost all of that right side compartment and you have to wad up the excess SATA/USB/header/fan cables to get them out of the way, and the CPU/mobo extension connectors eat up a lot of space there too. At some point I am gonna pull that infiniband card, I'll snap some pics then.

I have the U-NAS where the motherboard fits on the side and that was indeed a tiny fit.

Before the LSI card was installed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have the U-NAS where the motherboard fits on the side and that was indeed a tiny fit.

Before the LSI card was installed.

It is, unfortunately, the inevitable characteristic of SFF builds. You are paying a lot of money for something with no wasted space inside. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

They're nice once they're together... the 810A is 17L, vs 45L for a CS380B. You're just going to have a few evenings of pain getting everything all tucked away and ziptied down, and maybe one or two halts as you realize you need some part to finish it off. I've done a lot of ATX builds and a few SFF builds and the SFF builds are always a pain in the rear end.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 13, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

That thing is cool as poo poo.

D. Ebdrup posted:

My apologies, it's an even cooler setup. :sigh:.
Thanks! Just some leftover hardware from work I was able to snag.

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't know whether FreeNAS has done something to interfere with that; it doesn't seem plausible, but there's nothing about FreeBSD that should prevent DHCP from being used on both interfaces (if I recall correctly, DHCP is achieved through the Berkeley Packet Filter, and BPF is how tcpdump and ipfw also work - it's even how Linux does tracing, though they had to extend it as eBPF for that, instead of implementing dtrace)
Yeah I'm unsure of what the real reason/reasoning behind it is but as of the latest FreeNAS build, its a problem.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I read yesterday that synology does not recommend (or maybe doesn't allow) mixing 4Kn and 512be drives in a single array. Does anybody know how bad it is to do that?

And a followup - are the 8 / 10TB mybook shucks 4kn or 512?

I'm trying to decide between something like a 4-5bay with 12TB internal drives, or 6-8 bay with 8-10tb shucked drives, and don't want to end up with drives I cannot add to the array.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've just bought a new computer for the first time in over a decade and figured that while I'm joining the 21st century I should get a storage system in place that's more effective than the ancient external hard drive I'm currently using.

Ideally I'd like a NAS that can:
- back up data from my macbook (photos, movies, music. Basically prosumer-level creative stuff that I'm creating)
- back up photos and videos from 2 mobile phones (currently backing up to dropbox then transferring files from dropbox to my laptop then onto an external hdd)
- act as a media server to stream movies to my TV (I need a Chromecast for this, I think?) and music to my Google Home speakers

I've found these two products after a very brief Google search - WD MyCloud 12tb and QNAP NAS. Would either of these be appropriate? I'd like something that will just work out of the box but don't mind a more technical option if it's a better choice. I currently have a couple of TB of data on existing drives so figure that a 12TB NAS will suffice assuming I generate around 500gb of new data a year based on my current output. I'd be happy to start off with more storage space if there's a compelling reason to do so as I'm hoping that buying something decent to begin with will future-proof my setup somewhat and prevent me having to upgrade for at least a few years.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

No idea if this fix for FreeBSD has made its way to the most recent versions of FreeNAS yet, but until it does, you'll need set some boot parameter, or it won't boot.
Other than that it works perfectly fine for me, but I'm not doing anything that needs a lot of performance with it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Ika posted:

I read yesterday that synology does not recommend (or maybe doesn't allow) mixing 4Kn and 512be drives in a single array. Does anybody know how bad it is to do that?

I'm trying to decide between something like a 4-5bay with 12TB internal drives, or 6-8 bay with 8-10tb shucked drives, and don't want to end up with drives I cannot add to the array.

Because of how raid works you cannot mix 4k and not 4k drives. Either go all 4k or all not 4k.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Ika posted:

This is a good question. I was planning on using a mix of 8 and 10tb shucks in a raid, is this not doable? How can can you tell if the drive is 512 vs 4k ?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bonobos posted:

This is a good question. I was planning on using a mix of 8 and 10tb shucks in a raid, is this not doable? How can can you tell if the drive is 512 vs 4k ?

All drives in a raidz must be the same capacity or you lose any capacity above the smallest drive - eg 2x8 + 2x10 is the same as having 4x8, unless you swap out the 8 TBs in the future. If you are doing 8 drives you could do a 4x8 and a 4x10 raidz without losing any capacity though. Or if you don't care about redundancy, you could just do a simple/spanned array and keep backups.

I don't think you can mix sector sizes but I'd think most modern high-capacity hard drives are 4096b sectors? Both my 8 tb white and 8 tb reds read as: "Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical" in smartctl.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

All drives in a raidz must be the same capacity or you lose any capacity above the smallest drive - eg 2x8 + 2x10 is the same as having 4x8, unless you swap out the 8 TBs in the future. If you are doing 8 drives you could do a 4x8 and a 4x10 raidz without losing any capacity though. Or if you don't care about redundancy, you could just do a simple/spanned array and keep backups.

I don't think you can mix sector sizes but I'd think most modern high-capacity hard drives are 4096b sectors? Both my 8 tb white and 8 tb reds read as: "Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical" in smartctl.

Thanks for explaining, id be using the synology hybrid raid that would allow me to mix sizes so no concern there. Id just be concerned that the 10tb (presumably white) drives i just bought will mesh with the 8tb reds i shucked last year.