Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

morcant posted:

...Except we know he's wrong - all the Eldians are connected by the paths.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean us as Eldians, and has a deeper meaning than that.
Being born free is the first article of our unviersal declaration of human rights, a thing we came up with and generally agreed on after the atrocities during the second world war. I'm not being condescending here, it is also my favourite line of the story because it gave it real meaning for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Crunchyroll and Mangastream don't have the new chapter up yet, where y'all reading a scan?

E: nevermind, found it. Pretty great time for AoT, getting Return to Shiganshina animated, and this arc is really loving great too.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 8, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lol, that last set of panels. I have no idea what to expect but drat that was so weird to see happen.

I still want another flashback chapter to have Reiner explain his thoughts, but I doubt we will get anything more than a warrior therapist during a fight.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 9, 2019

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
No matter who loses this fight, we win.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I just really hope this fight ends definitively. No more pieck rescues. No more uploading your brain into your titan's nervous system.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I don't know about it being the end of it, but it must definitely end with another shifter down, so either Pieck or Porco.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm still holding out hope that this rumble royale will be gatecrashed by unfrozen Annie. I don't think that Marley knows she's still alive.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I’m curious if warhammer goop is strong enough to break titan crystal or if that’s unique to the jaw titan.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Squidster posted:

I'm still holding out hope that this rumble royale will be gatecrashed by unfrozen Annie. I don't think that Marley knows she's still alive.

Reiner knows, so I guess they would too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If she does show up I hope she flips sides and does a back-to-back combat pose with Erin in titan forms as the enemy titans storm towards them

It'd be inordinately shonen of the series to do but gently caress it I wanna see it

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Annie is definitely not gonna side with Marley if she wakes up. She's been incubating a redemption.

Which is also why she won't side with Aaron, but instead her double-boyfriend Armin.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Beefstew posted:

Which is also why she won't side with Aaron, but instead her double-boyfriend Armin.

Annie clearly had a crush on Eren, not Bert. :colbert:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Reiner knows, so I guess they would too

From Marley's perspective, Annie is MIA. They suspect the Paradisians captured her, and the fact that she never attempted to make contact with them at Shiganshina in the months between R&B's escape and the battle for Wall Maria indicates that, at the very least, she had been in no position to do so at the time.

But they just don't know for sure, and it's been years now. Worst case scenario is she was captured and eventually fed to a titan to transfer her power, but having been killed during her capture attempt or executed after interrogation are both possibilities. They probably know about the crystallization ability, but they can't know for sure that was her ultimate fate.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Schubalts posted:

Annie clearly had a crush on Eren, not Bert. :colbert:

Nah, she clearly crushed on Petra.
:v:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, that last set of panels. I have no idea what to expect but drat that was so weird to see happen.

I still want another flashback chapter to have Reiner explain his thoughts, but I doubt we will get anything more than a warrior therapist during a fight.

I think Reiner is just done mentally, and is solely motivated out of a sense of guilt/obligation at this point

Conversely, something about Eren in this chapter made me 100% sure that he hasn't been taken in by Zeke. The idea of being this fired up, this fierce about a plan that basically amounts to "no more babies" seems too incongruous, even for someone who's head has always been stupid and mixed up.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think Reiner is just done mentally, and is solely motivated out of a sense of guilt/obligation at this point

Conversely, something about Eren in this chapter made me 100% sure that he hasn't been taken in by Zeke. The idea of being this fired up, this fierce about a plan that basically amounts to "no more babies" seems too incongruous, even for someone who's head has always been stupid and mixed up.

Eren Is, And Always Has Been, The Hero And Was Right About Everything, and his ungrateful friends were wrong and bad for ever doubting him.

That's how this story ends.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, Reiner is just done. That's been very firmly established already - ever stalwart, he's performing his duties as a Warrior to the best of his ability, but deep inside he's spent years just waiting to finally die, and only a sense of obligation towards his comrades has kept him from putting an end to it himself. He also sees the power of the titans as a terrible burden/curse, so here killing Eren is a mercy.

As for Eren, the moment Zeke's plan was explained I just knew, but what nailed it was Armin crying upon hearing it from Yelena.

"[Oh, thank God! My friend hasn't gone insane, he's just being a stubborn rear end like always, and is trying to handle everything on his own in order to protect us.]"
"Why are you crying?"
"Crying? Oh, huh... it's because I'm just so moved! Yeah! This is an awesome plan, I'm so happy Eren is totally cool with it. Absolutely, 100%."

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm starting to wonder where they intend to end this season. Chapter 90 is the only logical break point, but three episodes in, they've already animated over six of the remaining 18 chapters.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I've been wondering the same since episode 1, and figured they were probably going to map each one to 2 manga chapters, which they've been doing so far.

But there's going to be 10 episodes total, so that'd leave 1 if we cut at 90 (and there really is no reason to go past 90 for just an episode). Perhaps they'll fill out Grisha's backstory further? Or at least take a slower pace with it and with the epilogue.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

OnimaruXLR posted:

I know that would be the easy way. I was a bit lost in the flash back arc much like I was with the entire king of paradise arc before the showdown, until he showed the pain that Reiner was feeling. I just would like another chapter just to explain his feelings.

Too me the best arcs of the series have been the stuff leading up to the king of paradise and the flashback to marley arcs.

I'm still holding out that Reiner is in possession of the defender titan and not the armored titan.

Holy poo poo I went back to read some chapters of the flashback arc and look what I found.

I never even noticed the background characters until now.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 13, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
What, exactly? That the previous beast titan holder was there too?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Eren Is, And Always Has Been, The Hero And Was Right About Everything, and his ungrateful friends were wrong and bad for ever doubting him.

That's how this story ends.

global genocide would be a great ending

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

global genocide would be a great ending

the entire final chapter is just two-page spreads of The Rumbling

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Maera Sior posted:

I went off the deep end last night in my theorizing based on finally figuring out why a shot in the opening was so familiar. Short version: I think the shot of Armin opening his eyes is a reference to a matching shot in season 1 and tells us what's going to happen with the roof scene.

Long version under the spoiler tag. It matches the shot of Eren waking up after trying to eat Annie. Armin is going to be mortally injured and Eren is going to suggest using the syringe and sacrificing one of the shifters they captured or incapacitated. Erwin is dead and Hange is still missing from the big explosion, Mikasa is in shock from seeing whatever happened to Armin, and Eren just wants to save his friend. It does seem a colossally risky plan, as it sacrifices a potential source of information, plus now there's a fresh titan that they hope won't go after them and whoever is left of the scouts, but Levi isn't known for explaining things, so he winds up insulting them. It's probably worth the gamble, since if Erwin and Hange are both dead, they can't afford to lose Armin as their last remaining tactician.

I had assumed the shot of Armin opening his eyes was metaphorical (as he realizes his place as a tactician and what it means to be a leader), but this would make it both metaphorical and literal.

Maybe up next: my theory as to how much consciousness non-shifter titans have.

This guy's good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
100% he’s a manga reader who is trying to play at being really smart about what comes next. People did the same stuff with Reiner and Bert.

It is way too accurate for just a guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the coffee tbh.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the coffee tbh.
Coffee's good. Nothing really worth talking about, tbqh.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zeke is totally going to summon the wall titans right?

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion

Asuron posted:

100% he’s a manga reader who is trying to play at being really smart about what comes next. People did the same stuff with Reiner and Bert.

It is way too accurate for just a guess.

Yeah this guy's been doing it every season.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

Coffee's good. Nothing really worth talking about, tbqh.

Yes but soldiers being able to drink instant coffee has implications about the outside world. But it seems anime posters didn't notice it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes but soldiers being able to drink instant coffee has implications about the outside world. But it seems anime posters didn't notice it.

They haven't made note of it because it doesn't reveal anything new. The anime had already shown Ymir's flashback which pretty much explicitly confirms the existence of a larger civilisation outside the walls (this is also why I consider said move a bad decision). I'm a bit apprehensive that even the basement reveal won't have quite the impact it had in the manga because of that.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Aumanor posted:

They haven't made note of it because it doesn't reveal anything new. The anime had already shown Ymir's flashback which pretty much explicitly confirms the existence of a larger civilisation outside the walls (this is also why I consider said move a bad decision). I'm a bit apprehensive that even the basement reveal won't have quite the impact it had in the manga because of that.

Ymir's flashback confirmed there is another human civilization behind the walls that knows the secrets of the titans. But this is something that's already a given, someone must have sent Bert and Reiner after all.

I wasn't a manga reader until the end of the Season 2, when I was too impatient to read further. When I watched the flashback, I imagined pretty much another isolated city on a similar technological level as Paradiso. The realization that the world isn't a Titan-infested hellhole didn't come until the basement.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah honestly my guess at first, after finishing season 1, was that we would be dealing with evil wizards that live in a podunk village on the other side of the continent or something, not people with airships and such.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Hidden Titan Village was thrown out a lot back in those days.

Anyhow, the coffee bit is a curiosity for the audience "oh, it's coffee! guess they don't grow coffee within the walls, maybe RBA came from somewhere rather far away". It's even more minor than when Ymir called the Beast Titan a monkey.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 14, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Or hell, canned food.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Raxivace posted:

Yeah honestly my guess at first, after finishing season 1, was that we would be dealing with evil wizards that live in a podunk village on the other side of the continent or something, not people with airships and such.
I knew the culprits would be humans, I didnt know if we were looking at a futuristic civilization that decided to intentionally stunt their own development by putting all of humanity in that situation after getting too technologically advanced and blowing up most of the world with nukes or whatever (only reason I'd suspected this is how sophisticated 3D gear was, also I'd recently watched gurenn lagann) or if it was a broader human world outside who set it up.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The basement reveal was so great because it not only revealed that humanity has gone on just fine outside the walls, but also that it just made the situation for the people in the walls worse because it turns out it's not a world of mindless titans that want to eat them but rather a world full of intelligent humans who want them exterminated.

It was a whole new level of horrible cruelty that apparently nobody but Eren and the budding nationalist movement was really prepared to even begin to grasp.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Kyte posted:

This guy's good.

He's been making GBS threads up the thread all year. He also "theorized" Grisha and Zeke could be related during season 2 when it wasn't even clear Monkey Trouble was human.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well nevermind then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's lame as gently caress