Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

The people in the Red Keep could have thrown off the yoke of Cersei's rule but chose not to. She made that point this episode. They also deserve to burn.

They did though?

It's both depressing and uplifting that most people ITT seem to not understand these sorts of acts are not carried out by comic book style insane people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Season 8 is a dumpster fire, but the latest episode was in no way worse than the 14 or so episodes that preceded it, the action wasn't all completely stupid, it finally made some satisfying use of a big dragon and it generally made sense from start to finish.

People's reaction to this episode comes across as really disingenuous. Clearly the worst episode of the series? It was not nearly as nonsensical as the Battle of Winterfell, and last week's episode was so bad it puts the worst of the Arrowverse to shame.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

morestuff posted:

Basically this. I don't really have any problem with her arc, like others have said they've been blatantly telegraphing it for years now. The pacing of this season's back half just sucks, and they're taking dumb shortcuts to make her black-and-white evil so someone can put a sword through her and it feel justified

Same here for me. If these last 6 episodes were two full (or at least separate) seasons done by people that actually gave a poo poo and weren't sick of the show, it could have been at least satisfying. As it is, it's a dash to the finish line so they can move on... To a show about the Confederacy. Oof.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i thought this episode was pretty good. dany snapping and going full targ was cool if a bit too rapid a shift. jon being ned 2.0 and being too Honorable and Loyal to do whats necessary (gently caress his aunt and/or betray his queen) and as a consequence getting hundreds of thousands of people genocided was nice. the actual depiction of the destruction and death in the city was well done and pretty horrifying.

hopefully next episode isnt just jon killing her and becoming the honorable King

It's going to be a pretty hard sell to end it any other way, honestly, especially for this writing team. Unless they jump another set of sharks, I'm pretty much going through the motions of waiting for the last ep cause I fully expect this to happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jarmak posted:

This is just a depressing take. That's not how madness works, that's not how evil works.

Hannibal Lecter is mad and evil and super loving interesting to watch on screen.

Charles Manson was mad and evil and fairly interesting to read about in a weird way.

"Mad Dany" is just boring.

"I'm mad now, by the way, so I'm gonna kill people" was pulled off like Lewis Carroll surrealism. Dany drank the "drink me" potion and now she's evil. That's just how that works!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

As Nero Danced posted:

Same here for me. If these last 6 episodes were two full (or at least separate) seasons done by people that actually gave a poo poo and weren't sick of the show, it could have been at least satisfying. As it is, it's a dash to the finish line so they can move on... To a show about the Confederacy. Oof.

Gotta say making the villain of your show a crazed abolitionist and "a breaker of chains" burning cities is a bit on the nose even for guys about to make a show about the Confederacy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i thought this episode was pretty good. dany snapping and going full targ was cool if a bit too rapid a shift. jon being ned 2.0 and being too Honorable and Loyal to do whats necessary (gently caress his aunt and/or betray his queen) and as a consequence getting hundreds of thousands of people genocided was nice. the actual depiction of the destruction and death in the city was well done and pretty horrifying.

hopefully next episode isnt just jon killing her and becoming the honorable King

It won't be

Its gonna be arya killing her and jon becoming the king and if you think not you don't understand D&D

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

This is another rushed plot that doesn't really work. She was sold to be the bride of a warlord and after he died all her respect was completely gone until she got some dragons.

It was a major plot point in S1 that Viserys was like "people sing of my return!" and that was horseshit. It was a big deal that Dany was more self-aware than him, and realized that the common people don't give a poo poo about who is in charge.

Then all that character development gets just forgotten because now she's in Westeros and "there is no love for me here, only fear!" Uhhh, was there love for you in Essos for like, 20 years? It took forever for her to get any "love". Unless her love was Khal Drogo, in which case Jon makes the point "I love you" and she just goes "BUT I WANT MOOOOORE"

Its really weird and childish. Yes, they've been building her up as "bend the KNEE! BEND IT!" for seasons. Yes. But there's a big difference between "everybody has to kneel to me" and "NOBODY IN WESTEROS LOVES ME SO I WILL KILL"

It just makes no sense because things happened so fast. Dany's spent the entire time in westeros fighting ice zombies, of loving course there's been no time for her to make friends? Why would she expect different?

Maybe give it a year goddamn. You didn't take Essos overnight.

I agree. She also gained her love through fear, but calculated use of it. Her dragons were the source of all the trust and love that people put into her because she controlled the dragons. Key word, controlled. She didn't go ape poo poo on entire cities because she ultimately didn't need to. The Dolthraki are literally following her because she killed all their kings and walked out of a burning hut unscathed.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Zaphod42 posted:

Hannibal Lecter is mad and evil and super loving interesting to watch on screen.

Charles Manson was mad and evil and fairly interesting to read about in a weird way.

"Mad Dany" is just boring.

"I'm mad now, by the way, so I'm gonna kill people" was pulled off like Lewis Carroll surrealism. Dany drank the "drink me" potion and now she's evil. That's just how that works!

But killing people is like her favorite thing to do when she's mad. Now she's really angry and also coincidentally the only person with access to fantasy nukes.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jarmak posted:

They did though?

I'm not sure what this is referring to. The civilians burning? Or overthrowing Cersei?

Jarmak posted:

It's both depressing and uplifting that most people ITT seem to not understand these sorts of acts are not carried out by comic book style insane people.

Oh, no, I know that. Tywin, for example, would have committed an action like this if he thought the population of King's Landing needed some fear in their hearts. He wouldn't have burned quite so much, I think, but he'd kill tens of thousands to make a point.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Raccooon posted:

None of the lead up with Dany comes across as any crazier than say what Tywin would do. The main difference is that Dany would use brutality to right wrongs.

People who use brutality to right wrongs are exactly the people who do this sort of thing.

They are the types that commit unspeakable atrocities.

Ruthlessly self-interested people will only brutalize people as much as they need to to get what they want.

For people like Dany the brutality is the point, because it's justice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

People's reaction to this episode comes across as really disingenuous. Clearly the worst episode of the series? It was not nearly as nonsensical as the Battle of Winterfell, and last week's episode was so bad it puts the worst of the Arrowverse to shame.

Episode 4 was way worst. I think people are just put off that this was the biggest plot development of the entire series and it was completely rushed with little justification. For those people, it's one of the more insulting episodes of the series, which makes it feel bad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

It does make me wonder how bloody Aegon the Conqueror's conquests actually were, and a reminder that Dorne held out against dragon attacks like that for YEARS

Surprisingly unbloody I think. The Reach signed up pretty quickly (may have been the Tyrells backstabbing their superiors) ; the Stormlands had a couple of sieges culminating in a marriage pact; the Northmen marched their armies down the neck, King Torrhen took one look at the dragons and immediately bent the knee.

The bloodiest bit would have been the river lands. Aegon gave Harren 24 hours to surrender, and when he didn't, exterminated the entire castle. Which is still haunted/cursed 300 years later.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's going to be a pretty hard sell to end it any other way, honestly, especially for this writing team. Unless they jump another set of sharks, I'm pretty much going through the motions of waiting for the last ep cause I fully expect this to happen.

yeah my guess for next episode is somehow tyrion or arya sacrificing themself and dying to kill dany and jon becoming the reluctant, frowny face king.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The Daenerys turning insane on a dime feels unearned despite them telegraphing it from season 1 because the past two seasons have been incredibly rushed. The way a lot of characters died on this episode just felt like poo poo as well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah my guess for next episode is somehow tyrion or arya sacrificing themself and dying to kill dany and jon becoming the reluctant, frowny face king.

Jon kills her, swears off the throne, Sansa rules as Warden of the North, Gendry leads a constitutional monarchy

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I have some bad news for you

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

I think its just people turning on the show in mass now. 3 and 4 were def worse than this one.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The Daenerys turning insane on a dime feels unearned despite them telegraphing it from season 1 because the past two seasons have been incredibly rushed. The way a lot of characters died on this episode just felt like poo poo as well.

I'm on the side of Dany having a clearly defined arc, but I also agree entirely with this sentiment; the arc was defined, but not properly explored or given time to breath.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Raccooon posted:

I think its just people turning on the show in mass now. 3 and 4 were def worse than this one.

I think people are just mad they didn't get to ship Jaime and Brienne.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It wasn't on a dime though? Seeing Missandei decapitated sent her overboard. She was a freaking mess at the start of the episode after not eating for a while. She looked like poo poo. Everyone has betrayed her. The last relic of Missandei is burned basically foreshadowing what needs to be done.

She didn't accept surrender. She killed them all.

This entire season has led up to her going insane after being rejected by everyone.

It's just it didn't happen how you wanted it to and now you're mad.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Zaphod42 posted:

It won't be

Its gonna be arya killing her and jon becoming the king and if you think not you don't understand D&D

D&D are just giving us what ever GRRM gave them. If Arya kills Dany, and Jon becomes king, its because that's what GRRM intended. D&D aren't bothering to fill in the blanks, but they are giving us the big plot points they were told.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Astro7x posted:

I don't think that the turn was masterfully built up, and yes, it felt rush. To say that they never even hinted at it is just people upset about it feeling rushed

this is the correct take

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Admiral Ray posted:

I think people are just mad they didn't get to ship Jaime and Brienne.

gently caress you, D&D!! Tormund was a better match cause he actually liked what Brienne was serving.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

D&D are just giving us what ever GRRM gave them.

I have no idea why people just assume this

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was hoping for someone to flash their dick at Drogon as he was strafing the streets.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Zaphod42 posted:

It won't be

^This, but also: They spent so long building up Arya as one of those people who wears other people's faces, that there's no way this doesn't end with Arya in Dany-face.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Vintersorg posted:

It was done badly and unbelievably, seems like a good reason to not like it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fart Amplifier posted:

I have no idea why people just assume this

My understanding was that this was stated by HBO, and GRRM himself, but who the gently caress knows or cares. Doesn't change anything.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

It wasn't on a dime though? Seeing Missandei decapitated sent her overboard. She was a freaking mess at the start of the episode after not eating for a while. She looked like poo poo. Everyone has betrayed her. The last relic of Missandei is burned basically foreshadowing what needs to be done.

She didn't accept surrender. She killed them all.

This entire season has led up to her going insane after being rejected by everyone.

The way they did it was possibly the only way it would go down considering it’s a season of 6 episodes. Something like this would have been a much slower burn with time being dedicated to develop these stories. Instead they rushed in to have all these things go down. For example Missandei BARELY has any lines at all this season. Like we used to (at least kind of) care about this character. So when she dies it’s kind of like oh ok, and then Dany / Greyworm get super pissed. We also rush through Dany getting increasingly paranoid but only in one episode (last week) and like very short/minor seasons in other episodes of this season. Don’t get me wrong I always thought Dany was a bad ruler but still it just felt rushed to me.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If Jon had hosed Dany, she'd be dead already.

Vary's little bird was suppose to poison her food, but she'd lost her appetite.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Surprisingly unbloody I think. The Reach signed up pretty quickly (may have been the Tyrells backstabbing their superiors) ; the Stormlands had a couple of sieges culminating in a marriage pact; the Northmen marched their armies down the neck, King Torrhen took one look at the dragons and immediately bent the knee.

The bloodiest bit would have been the river lands. Aegon gave Harren 24 hours to surrender, and when he didn't, exterminated the entire castle. Which is still haunted/cursed 300 years later.
Yeah, they were mostly shock and awe.

Dorne fought a guerrilla war. They were just as unsuccessful as everyone else in the open field (Ned!).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ned beheaded some guy for being afraid of White Walkers. Ned earned that death.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Raccooon posted:

The main difference is that Dany would use brutality to right wrongs.

Do you find that a comforting thought btw? Because my read on that is super ominous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No Wave posted:

It was done badly and unbelievably, seems like a good reason to not like it.

It was done fine.

But we're all just gonna go back and forth all day on this poo poo.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Having a scorpion mounted every 50 feet around the perimeter of the entire city was surprisingly ineffective compared to a few randomly positioned boats that were easily avoidable.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
One thing I would have liked to see is her trying to give a big rousing speech to the northmen and Vale soldiers and it kinda going over like a wet fart. It would have sold the idea that she doesn't belong in Westeros and nobody gives a drat about her Unburnt Breaker of Chains bullshit

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

fullroundaction posted:

Having a scorpion mounted every 50 feet around the perimeter of the entire city was surprisingly ineffective compared to a few randomly positioned boats that were easily avoidable.

They should have hidden them offscreen. Hey only work when you can't see them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Maybe we are the people of KL and the writers are just sick our complaining and whining for good writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

fullroundaction posted:

The scorpions should have been this ineffective in episode 4. The one that killed Rhaegal should have been a super lucky shot to his eye or something.