Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's a some decent SFF devices to look out for on eBay? I'd like to move my HASS install onto something faster and more reliable than the RPi.

Also, what's a good wireless illumination sensor for the exterior?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a some decent SFF devices to look out for on eBay?

Intel nuc / gigabyte brix / zotac somethings, they're like pc clones of the mac mini footprint

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Lenovo Tiny machines are also good. I use a Tiny M53 with a 120gb SSD for my Hass install.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a some decent SFF devices to look out for on eBay? I'd like to move my HASS install onto something faster and more reliable than the RPi.

If you're talking about hass.io (which I highly recommend) it needs to be one of the supported devices:

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

The fastest option would be a NUC, followed by the odroid-xu4.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You can use Hass.io on any machine by installing it on top of Linux.

Scroll down to near the bottom, the section titled "install on generic Linux server"

Works great and gives you the same Hass.io functionality as if you had used the Hass.io image.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, not really impressed by the eBay prices for these SFF devices over here in Europe.

I'm maybe considering hosting it on my main computer. It runs 24/7 anyway, Hyper-V and is on an UPS. The Patch Tuesdays and rare reboots and hardware upgrades ought to be able to be stomached.

The RPi would continue to run zigbee2mqtt and eventually zwave2mqtt, since Hyper-V doesn't do USB passthrough.

--edit: Hm, my old NAS is a Haswell Xeon E3. Gotta see how much power it draws with the HDDs stripped. It's an ugly big Lian-Li PC-Q25, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 13, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CheddarGoblin posted:

If you're talking about hass.io (which I highly recommend) it needs to be one of the supported devices:

The fastest option would be a NUC, followed by the odroid-xu4.

First, the NUC and various virtualization systems are all just PCs. Unless they went through and built custom kernels with only the drivers needed for those specific platforms they'll probably boot just fine in anything resembling a normal PC. That said, if you were doing that and needed support they'd probably laugh at you.

Second, scroll down a bit further. There's an official Docker package with an install script for any generic Linux system.

e;f:b

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Hm, my old NAS is a Haswell Xeon E3. Gotta see how much power it draws with the HDDs stripped. It's an ugly big Lian-Li PC-Q25, tho.

That should be fine, one of haswell's main selling points was that it reduces power consumption considerably when not under load

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A few posts back there was talk about Zwave sensor battery life. I had mentioned I had a sensor from early 2015 with its original battery.

As chance would have it, just last night that sensor finally quit. The battery life had been at 66% for some time, and then it just suddenly stopped working.

Curiously the battery only measures .3v So either the sensor was able to work down to that voltage (doubtful), or the battery actually failed somehow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

You'll pay a premium for the extra-tiny machines (USFF); if you keep an eye out, you can get a massively overkill SFF machine for dirt cheap. Look out for e-cyclers and for something in the 3-5 year corporate refresh arena; I picked up a HPaq SFF machine with a Ivy Bridge processer, 8 gb ram, and a 750 gb hdd (which I don't actually use for HASS but who cares) for ~65 bucks. Stuck Proxmox on and Hassio in a VM and it runs extremely well.

(Might be a couple bucks more in electricity per month at most than a NUC; even under full load it's probably 70W draw, and it is essentially never at full load.)

The Haswell should be more than enough; throw on a hypervisor that supports USB passthrough and you'd be set (or, as your post mentioned, throw HASSIO on your Hyper-V machine and do zigbee/zwave through MQTT.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm, a 35W permanent load over 365 days would cost me like 107€ a year (lovely expensive Belgian electricity). The RPi continuing to run (for zigbee2mqtt) combined the slight additional load on my desktop would be way less than that. The only concern I have is system stability, because gaming and NVidia drivers. I have to think about it all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone used a RPi to be a wake on lan controller for PCs? Something I was thinking about so I could power down my NAS on a schedule and wake it up either on schedule or by accessing a webpage on my RPi.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just ordered an ESP8266 and some TRCT5000 to monitor those old spinny disk energy meters of mine. Wish me luck that the WiFi range is sufficient.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can the UniFi app do the timelapse in-app like the Nest cameras can? To be more clear on what I'm asking, in Nest you open a camera and below the feed is a timeline that you can drag your finger back and forth and show the feed at different times of day? It's pretty slick.

For context, I'm still evaluating my solution that I want to put in place. I like the simplicity of picking up a few Nest cameras, paying the $50 a year, and being done. On the other hand, it bothers me (potentially irrationally) that if the Internet goes down the camera stops recording. Also, it's a Google product so who knows what the gently caress the future holds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here using these Aqara vibration sensors? If I were to put one on an office chair (and maybe under a desk), would that work for presence detection when doing office work? Maybe using gratuitous delays in the automation? The motion sensor doesn't work for that.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
With what Google is doing to Nest, you might want to consider other hardware....

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tapedump posted:

With what Google is doing to Nest, you might want to consider other hardware....

Can you be more specific? I know they down have a great past with owning products, but what did they do recently that really makes it more of an issue?

Trying to find the right balance here between functionality that I need and the convenience that something like Nest offers. Is it likely that Google mess up the core features of the Nest Cam?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Can you be more specific? I know they down have a great past with owning products, but what did they do recently that really makes it more of an issue?

Trying to find the right balance here between functionality that I need and the convenience that something like Nest offers. Is it likely that Google mess up the core features of the Nest Cam?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/nest-the-company-died-at-google-io-2019/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TraderStav posted:

Can the UniFi app do the timelapse in-app like the Nest cameras can? To be more clear on what I'm asking, in Nest you open a camera and below the feed is a timeline that you can drag your finger back and forth and show the feed at different times of day? It's pretty slick.
UniFi Video definitely can not. I have not tried UniFi Protect yet, I believe it has a number of new features.

On that note, they recently released UniFi Protect for the UniFi Application Server platform, which happens to just be an Ubuntu box in an Ubiquiti-branded case. They also didn't exactly hide the .debs, so anyone with an Ubuntu or similar machine can now install it unofficially. I have it on my home server but I haven't moved the cameras over yet to test anything.

As far as Nest, IMO any kind of cloud camera system is idiotic for security purposes for exactly the reason you've mentioned. No internet, no recordings.

My UniFi system works regardless of what's going on with the internet. Thanks to the UPS in my equipment rack it doesn't even care about the mains power, it can run on battery for longer than any power outage I've ever had in this house.

Beyond that as noted Google has a history of changing or abandoning products on a whim, so just be aware of that if buying in to one of their ecosystems. Sometimes they offer features that make their services worth the risk, but you have to always be willing to find another provider on a moment's notice if they decide your market isn't interesting anymore.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

TraderStav posted:

For context, I'm still evaluating my solution that I want to put in place. I like the simplicity of picking up a few Nest cameras, paying the $50 a year, and being done. On the other hand, it bothers me (potentially irrationally) that if the Internet goes down the camera stops recording. Also, it's a Google product so who knows what the gently caress the future holds.

Synology's Surveillance Station will do this if you have a Synology NAS (may even be worth getting one just for it). It's really nice. I actually just moved our NVR system at work over to it, 50+ cameras of all different types and it hasn't skipped a beat. Used it at home for years and it's only gotten better.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
What is the easiest way to automatically clip/capture specific times of the day (e.g., the five minutes surrounding every hour and half-hour)?

I'm currently using the Ubiquiti Cloud Key Gen2 and G3 cameras with UniFi Protect, but I think I'll have to pivot to either UniFi Video or a secondary solution.

TraderStav posted:

Yes, the UniFi Protect app (and web access) has a timelapse feature. Here's a screenshot of mine: https://s.put.re/5WBNMpFc.png

It's a little wonky (you can't directly go to certain times, you have to scroll, the scroll is loose, etc.), but it works.

UniFi Protect's biggest problem is that you can only export clips up to 10 minutes long. I'm pretty sure this is currently being addressed and may already be available in some beta versions, but right now, it's very much an incomplete product.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I post-poned moving away from the RPi by ordering one of those fancy high endurance SD cards, that I didn't know existed. I suppose that'll buy me some time. The logging is towards a MariaDB instance away from the RPi, anyway.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CheddarGoblin posted:

Synology's Surveillance Station will do this if you have a Synology NAS (may even be worth getting one just for it). It's really nice. I actually just moved our NVR system at work over to it, 50+ cameras of all different types and it hasn't skipped a beat. Used it at home for years and it's only gotten better.

Oh wow, this looks like a great solution too. Will need to look into it.

One feature I loved about the Nest, and would love to see if it is recreated anywhere, is that the notifications can be suppressed when it detects you are at home. I liked that idea that when my kids are running around in the backyard or playing basketball I don't get spammed with a hundred notifications.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

TraderStav posted:

One feature I loved about the Nest, and would love to see if it is recreated anywhere, is that the notifications can be suppressed when it detects you are at home. I liked that idea that when my kids are running around in the backyard or playing basketball I don't get spammed with a hundred notifications.

Surveillance Station definitely has this as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CheddarGoblin posted:

Surveillance Station definitely has this as well.

Very awesome. Need to check it out for what to assemble together. Like the UniFi, predominately PoE or are there wired for power with WiFi cameras that are compatible?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CheddarGoblin posted:

Any suggestions for which NAS to get if I plan to have 4-6 cameras max? I'd even consider moving my Plex media and usenet programs to it if it can power it well enough. Can still have my main PC keep the Plex server if it won't power the streams well enough.

Also, is the surveillance station software free and just need a Synology or is it something I'd have to pay for on top of the hardware?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 16, 2019

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

TraderStav posted:

Very awesome. Need to check it out for what to assemble together. Like the UniFi, predominately PoE or are there wired for power with WiFi cameras that are compatible?

It's compatible with just about any IP camera (including Ubiquiti's). There's a full list (over 6900) here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility/camera

TraderStav posted:

Any suggestions for which NAS to get if I plan to have 4-6 cameras max? I'd even consider moving my Plex media and usenet programs to it if it can power it well enough. Can still have my main PC keep the Plex server if it won't power the streams well enough.

Also, is the surveillance station software free and just need a Synology or is it something I'd have to pay for on top of the hardware?

Honestly any of them would handle 6 cameras without issue. Plex transcoding, ehhh not so much.

SS is included with every Synology NAS last I checked. I think you get 2 camera licenses out of the box, and each additional one is $50 each (one time).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a question about this Nest/Google thing. I have a Nest thermostat and it is connected to my Google Home. What exactly does this mean for me? Does anything change? I can already control my thermostat via the Home app or Assistant. Is the main worry just for Echo users?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a question about this Nest/Google thing. I have a Nest thermostat and it is connected to my Google Home. What exactly does this mean for me? Does anything change? I can already control my thermostat via the Home app or Assistant. Is the main worry just for Echo users?

After Google's comments today, I don't think it will mean much of anything other than that at some point in the future, we'll have to migrate over to using a Google app (which *should* have the same features) instead of a Nest app.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just really started getting around to doing some home automation stuff and one of my goals was to automate my AC's using IR Blasters and just temp sensing from my Nest's but that seems to have been killed as I cannot even make a developer account anymore..so what's my next step, are there any decent wifi temperature sensors or do I finally need to break down and go zwave or smartthings or some poo poo

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Thermopyle posted:

After Google's comments today, I don't think it will mean much of anything other than that at some point in the future, we'll have to migrate over to using a Google app (which *should* have the same features) instead of a Nest app.

Huh, interesting. So what was all the buzz and Google made a terrible mistake stuff coming from?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

So are folks walking back the concerns that were raised last week about google nest now?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh, interesting. So what was all the buzz and Google made a terrible mistake stuff coming from?

It's third party integration with Nest that people are concerned about. Google have shut down the "works with nest" program which was used to allow 3rd party integrations (i.e. Home Assistant, Alexa, etc...).

Apparently they are going to change this to a "Works with google..." program eventually so perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Whenever Google buys something like Nest, my first reaction is "RIP their users, they're hosed long-term".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as I saw there were two basic camps who were up in arms.

The first are the people who were convinced that they'd lose all their "Works With Nest" integrations forever. Those people are for the most part morons, because the majority of things that have "Works With Nest" features also have Google Assistant support and the most they might have to do is reconfigure their connections. I'd find it very hard to believe that there will be anything significant that previously had WWN integration but won't get updated to the Google version, except maybe a few older unsupported products that will never get an update again. Google should have been more clear about a transition plan but that's all I see them having done wrong for these users.

The second are people who dislike Google and are against the loss of the separate account system. They want to keep their Nest devices without having to join them in to the Google ecosystem. They have a legitimate complaint IMO, and this announcement changes nothing for them, but at the same time if they haven't seen the writing on the wall since the moment Google bought Nest they're not thinking straight.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Mostly people freaking out about nothing...or at least freaking out by assuming the worst case scenario when no one had all the information.

Google did gently caress up by not foreseeing the backlash and providing the necessary information up front to head it off.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So then the bottom line goes back to Nest not recording while not having WiFi and no local storage as being the largest (and highest likelihood impact) differentiator between choosing it and rolling your own system?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Slash posted:

It's third party integration with Nest that people are concerned about. Google have shut down the "works with nest" program which was used to allow 3rd party integrations (i.e. Home Assistant, Alexa, etc...).

Apparently they are going to change this to a "Works with google..." program eventually so perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

So, it’s a little more complex.

They’re not going to shut down *existing* Works with Nest integrations, as long as you don’t merge your Nest account, but will only provide security updates to the system going forward for that branch.

But they also haven’t announced a “works with google” program - they’ve announced that they’ll add Nest products to the “Works with Google Assistant” program, which is a big difference because (per Google’s own FAQ): “Third parties will no longer be able to ask for permission to directly access or control your Nest devices.”

So it’s not as bad as “existing functionality will be removed” but it’s bad enough that I’m considering whether I want to switch to a different thermostat at some point. (Though I do have the integration already set up so I can keep it running until Google inevitably kills it.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TraderStav posted:

So then the bottom line goes back to Nest not recording while not having WiFi and no local storage as being the largest (and highest likelihood impact) differentiator between choosing it and rolling your own system?

For me, those are the two biggest downsides of Nest.

On the other hand, the UI/UX for Nest is far and away better than a home-grown system.

In my experience Nest has the best UI/UX out of all the cloud camera systems. I'm also not a professional reviewer who touches millions of cameras and their apps per week. Beside Nest, I've owned Arlo and Ring systems on top of a home-grown system using zoneminder and one using blue iris.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kalman posted:

So it’s not as bad as “existing functionality will be removed” but it’s bad enough that I’m considering whether I want to switch to a different thermostat at some point. (Though I do have the integration already set up so I can keep it running until Google inevitably kills it.)

If there's something you want to work with your thermostat that won't work then you have to switch or deal with it. I mean, Google isn't (apparently) taking anything away from you other than (maybe) future devices and services from controlling your Nest.

Assistant will work, and Alexa will work so I bet that cover 95% of other devices that people want to control their thermostat with.

(Personally, I use my Nest cams with HA, but that's a infinitesimal minority use case)

Google handled this badly, but from my exposure to them, the wave of headlines and anger were just overblown. Surprise! The internet blew something out of proportion!

Of course, this is Google, so you can never be sure that whatever product you're using of them will be around in 6 months.