Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Can't say I've experienced this

You will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

The dudes swinging their swords/mauls/war axe while moving in figure eights and just hewing through two and three people at a time. They're not fun to fight even if you know how and it looks ridiculous.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That stinks.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Glenn Quebec posted:

I have maybe half a dozen times, definitely mostly recently. I even saw one of the ones who does a downward chop while facing skyward with their back to you like back in Chivalry. That's kind of the nature of games like this though. People tend to find their entertainment at either end of the funhaver <--> tryhard continuum once the people who picked it up because it looked interesting start to drop off.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
there isn't a chance this is going to go on sale by memorial day is it? i laugh maniacally watching people stream and i desperately want to get in on the fun. i might just take the plunge - sale or no sale

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'm disappointed in that I remember ready that the devs were trying hard to avoid the helicoptering bullshit

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

They could stand to tone down the speed boost you get from sprinting towards enemies. Feels like there is no penalty for heavy armor, which causes some of the spinning, crowd cleaving problems. It was big in chivalry for awhile before they tightened the angle at which the 'chase mechanic' (sprint faster toward fleeing foes) kicked in. Thankfully there's no reverse overhead tier crap, at least.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Disgusting Coward posted:

Unfortunately, this also means the game's shelf life is a limited one. Already starting to encounter dudes, contorted into pretzel shapes, who run at ridiculous speeds and project a totally inscrutable sphere of death that bears little-to-no resemblance to any movement their character makes. Can't even sneak up on them and backstab them, cause they seem to all play at some insane 270 degree fisheye FoV.

Hey ho, I'll enjoy Wacky Fun Choppy Game for the two months it stays that way, then move on. Your wife is a hobby horse, et cetera et cetera.

I just parry them and morph attacks and then kill them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The accells and decells do add a skill level to the game, but that is definitely part to do with the hellicoptering bullshit. You see someone at a 99 degree angle and they hit you and 2 other people. It really takes you out of it when you see poo poo routinely by the level 30 players. I see it a lot with feints. Like they start the Accel with the feint so that the follow up attack is accelerated. There's definitely a level of skill associated with it, but it looks loving completely janky and unrealistic when it happens.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

I just parry them and morph attacks and then kill them.

Cool, you are a top notch player and I am very impressed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

they haven't metastasized onto the main servers yet but if you go to duel or skirmish servers you will encounter dudes who, upon sighting an enemy, contort into a bizarre yoga pose, perform an attack which is actually the quantum superposition of 7 different attacks that only resolves when you try to block it, and then use 4 dimensional spacetime to stab directly through your shield and tear your soul out of your body so they can use its life energy to scoot off to their next victim at supersonic speed

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

me and 2 other teammates encircled one of these guys and all tried to stab him simultaneously from different directions and he proceeded to somehow chamber and stab all of us with the same counterstab, presumably by allowing satan to guide his insane mouse flailing after spending years in the hyperbolic time chamber watching reruns of beyblades frame by frame for research

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have to say you're making these guys sound like total badasses

Parachute
May 18, 2003
sounds like yall just encountered The Shrike from Hyperion

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Are you talking about the crouch guys who think it's slick to crouch then attack as they stand? Just overhead attack them

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I have to say you're making these guys sound like total badasses

they're basically sword wizards and as a mere mortal I am helpless to comprehend their power, let alone combat it

at the same time though they look really dumb and sometimes you can kill them by getting a couple of peasants together to pelt them with rocks from inside a small alcove as their divinely empowered lightspeed strikes bounce harmlessly off the walls

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Or just play on the goon server.

Riz should leave it on 24/7 too

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've never seen that, but I'm sure if it's as bad as you claim it will be addressed eventually.

Meanwhile I'm having lots of fun yelling and dicking around in Frontline. I think my biggest wish right now for the game would be more and better maps, deathmatch queue, female models and non white skin tones.

I feel like the naps could be so much better and more fun. I'd love to see a full castle siege nap, for instance!

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, it's pretty impressive the dexterity with flipping around like a monster in a japanese horror movie, but it sure looks goofy and isn't fun to fight against versus "traditional" dueling movements.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Avynte posted:

I mean, it's pretty impressive the dexterity with flipping around like a monster in a japanese horror movie, but it sure looks goofy and isn't fun to fight against versus "traditional" dueling movements.

Keep it on the game but make them go dizzy and drop to the floor after a full spin!

Edit: and tell no one and leave it off the patch notes, for an extra fun day.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Avynte posted:

Yeah I look at this game as a really impressive first person fighting game and dealing with all that stuff is just kind of killing my interest. It's like Scorpion suddenly just filling the screen with chains that are all one-shots.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Are you talking about the crouch guys who think it's slick to crouch then attack as they stand? Just overhead attack them

The most recent one I saw was kinda standing in a weird "I'm a little teapot" posture, with his warhammer up. Try to attack, even from behind, he'd instantly spin and parry. Then he'd basically do a One Inch Punch, where his hammer hand moved a smidgen and then his opponent's head would detonate. Then he'd laugh and call whoever he'd just killed a friend of the family.

Also one dude who was wearing a kite shield and a pavise, who kinda twitched non-stop while throwing out a barrage of stabs that hit nowhere near where his stab animation went. He usually got trampled by an angry mob, but requiring 15 baying peasants to take out one macro'd Eastern European turbosperg seems like it doesn't bode well for the game's future.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the game, and I've already had more than my money's worth. But the devs have kinda poo poo the bed a bit by importing all the fuckery from Chivalry, and also leaving the game wide-open for absolutely lunatic min-max system tweakery. Ser Newbie of Sales Weekend, stoked to try out this cool 1st person game where you use the mouse to hack and chop at dudes is gonna smash "refund" drat near instantly when he comes up against Ser Panopticon of The Third-Person Windmills, who has every one of his 35 mouse buttons bound to a different inscrutable morph-feint-windmill-kill-laugh-friend of the family macro.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 13, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

For hating the word you sure are saying it a lot.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

This game having a high skill ceiling is actually a good, and not a bad, thing

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

*goon defeated by an attack they didn't see coming*

:aaaaa:

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's not what anyone is saying.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Orv posted:

That's not what anyone is saying.

Easy orv it's a joke, sorry this is serious business.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Wait if i have a regular shield and a pavaise, will I be, in fact, immortal?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Glenn Quebec posted:

Or just play on the goon server.

Riz should leave it on 24/7 too

This here is the right answer to any problem in Mordhau. Playing with relatively normal people on a closed server is a godsend in this kind of super frustrating game.

Also the devs have said time and time again that no fancy helicoptering/rainbowing fuckery will be allowed, clearly a closed alpha/beta test full of honorable sperglords won't be THAT great at discovering exploits, so they're popping out now that the game is in the public's hands

Give them some time and I bet they'll fix the egregious exploits. Personally I haven't seen anyone doing that kind of crazy stuff, just really good people smashing bad people but it was clearly "within the rules" so to speak

I wish they removed perks like dodge, it just fucks a bit too much with people's expectation on how others do actually move around, dueling a dodger is incredibly hard because they'll dance around you so fast that you can barely keep track of them unless you shoot sensitivity/DPI right up, and then good luck actually hitting something with a stab when a tiny movement of the mouse makes your view jump half the screen

also fix stabs by God, everyone is stabbing stabbing stabbing, they're a bit too good for most weapons right now

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yeah, in m&b if you didn't get good momentum your stabs didn't do dick

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Stabbing being more effective than slashing, especially in a game where most people are wearing armor, is historical and accurate and good

I only use spear

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

have you seen my baby posted:

Stabbing being more effective than slashing, especially in a game where most people are wearing armor, is historical and accurate and good

I only use spear

Stabbing does not remove limbs or heads, so you are completely 110% wrong

sorry

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, in m&b if you didn't get good momentum your stabs didn't do dick

This is all I want to fix horses. Momentum based mutually assured destruction. Let me stab my halberd into them and have us both go flying to our deaths.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Stabbing does not remove limbs or heads, so you are completely 110% wrong

sorry

Hhm you're right this is a critical oversight. Devs I DEMAND that you let me poke my enemy's heads off or I will be REFUNDING IMMEDIATELY

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've seen a couple people contorting in ways that certainly looked like they were trying to replicate some manner of Chivalry chicanery, but they didn't seem to be very successful at it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It is super janky when my horse is at a minor trot and I swing my sword and seven people explode into gore because of the multiplier

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
yeah i play a lot of low armor so i always assumed it was them getting a thwack at my head but even fully armored up i get destroyed by a horse at even the most minor of trots

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

*goon defeated by an attack they didn't see coming*

:aaaaa:

two knights approach to do battle. the first swings his sword, the second parries it and then drops into a backwards crab stance as 4 additional arms made entirely out of ethereal light explode out of his torso, each of them holding a different weapon. the first knight staggers back and attempts to block, but he can only block so much as the second knight begins to rotate furiously, his form twisting and contorting as his many arms strike and feint and strike again. finally, the first knight's sword falls from his hands and he drops to his knees, exhausted. the second knight's spectral arms rip the first's soul from his body and cram it into the gaping maw of the second. satisfied, the second knight ascends into the heavens in a beam of light as the first's body turns to stone, his face locked forever in an expression of pure horror

from a hill top, the wise master watches. "the first knight lost because his form was inferior. such is the fate of those who neglect their studies of the blade".

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is with the ping in this game? Everyones ping is constantly fluctuating like 40ms. Additionally, I can't find a single server blew 60ms, and when I get in game it's always closer to 80. Any other FPS game I play, I'll find plenty of servers where I'm sub 40ms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol I'm not bad at this game and played it a lot. I've really never seen this wild spectral arms stuff