Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Midterm elections are next year, but you wouldn't know it with the way candidates are circumventing the no early campaigning rule.

I think most of the nonpartisan Filipino population is just waiting to see if Duterte kicks the bucket before Robredo can be kicked out of office for whatever reason.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the midterms are gonna loving suck because the best The Opposition has to offer is some dude who wants "judicial reform", another Troop to replace Trillanes, and this bland rear end in a top hat:

https://twitter.com/uplbperspective/status/1055438655307755520

it's like the Democratic party if the only candidates available were to the right of Hillary Clinton

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
So uh, the NPA is doing western-style PR and are present on Instagram. The juxtaposition between malnourished guerillas with american weapons, camp-site dogs and local propaganda - all in pretty decent English - is pretty bonkers.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I follow a terrorism analyst on twitter who somehow follows/reposts pics from a bunch of Abu Sayyaf and Maute recruits on WhatsApp or WeChat or whatever and it's partly hilarious and partly really sad. In some ways they're just such typical SE Asian teens/20-somethings, dopey filters on their selfies, cheesy lyrics slapped on top of them, etc., but then the next post is lamenting the death of one of their friends who died in a firefight with the AFP or they've got scarves on their faces and bolos out and they're shouting in front of black banners. Social media and extremist groups is just weird.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
BOOM

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/09...rcRxE5OWCys-4ec

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/09/18/imelda-marcos-found-guilty-of-graft?fbclid=IwAR0L9R4nMx8Pvyitvv83iT2CLXHZdN0YG4wIAFtbLOU6rcRxE5OWCys-4ec posted:

MANILA - The Sandiganbayan 5th Division on Friday found former First Lady and Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Romualdez Marcos guilty in 7 counts of graft for using her Cabinet position to maintain Swiss bank accounts during the Marcos regime.

Excited to see how Duterte responds to this news about his favorite family!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good that woman sickens me.

In other sickening news Ben Ramos got shot and killed two days ago. He was a lwayer famous for helping people who couldn't afford it. His latest high profile case was where a bunch of people got killed with impunity, and fingers were being pointed to possible government involved, either as the killers , or bungling/covering up the follow up investigation. He is the 34th lawyer killed since Duterte took office.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Imelda Marcos is still alive AND she was an elected representative? As an ignorant American that absolutely blows my mind.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Former president Joseph Estrada, who was impeached and convicted of plunder in 2001, has been mayor of Metro Manila since 2013. 🙃

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
A lot of things about the Philippines defy expectations...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Imelda Marcos is still alive AND she was an elected representative? As an ignorant American that absolutely blows my mind.

The 2nd District of Ilocos Norte was held by Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. from 1992 to 1995 (one term)

It was later held by Maria Imelda "Imee" Marcos from 1998 to 2007 (three terms, the constitutional limit for consecutive terms).

During the same period, Bongbong Marcos was the Governor of Ilocos Norte

Bongbong Marcos then held the Congressional seat for one term after that, 2007 to 2010, vacating it when he became a Senator

Imelda Marcos has held the Congressional seat since 2010, up until she's constitutionally term-limited again by the 2019 mid-terms

Meanwhile, Imee Marcos has been Governor of Ilocos Norte since 2010. Like Imelda, she's going to be term-limited in 2019, but she's already filed her candidacy to become Senator

_____

A lot of oxygen in Philippine political discourse is taken up by just trying to constantly fend off the attempts by these loving ghouls to break into higher office

chird
Sep 26, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

A lot of oxygen in Philippine political discourse is taken up by just trying to constantly fend off the attempts by these loving ghouls to break into higher office

Must be exhausting and maddening. With everything that has happened, Pulse Asia's September poll still has Duterte at a massive 75% approval and 72% 'big trust'. Only 10% of people disapprove. :shepface:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chird posted:

Must be exhausting and maddening. With everything that has happened, Pulse Asia's September poll still has Duterte at a massive 75% approval and 72% 'big trust'. Only 10% of people disapprove. :shepface:
This is your brain on Third-World 'we love strongman schlong'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Universal Health Care bill seems like a positive though, right?:sludgepal: Though as far as I can tell it doesn't so much as say how it will be implemented just that it will be.

I try to keep abreast of PHL politics but as non-tagalog speaking foreigner I can only really scratch the surface and have zero clout to make positive change. The sheer number of factions in congress competing with each other is hard to understand for a newb, and when you look up politicians' background 99% of them have been charged or investigated for some kind of fraud so its hard to get too enthused. Risa Hontiveros seems to be pretty good but someone will inevitably tell me she's a plunderer or something. I need to get a book on 20th century PHL history too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's been really quiet these past few months, or have I missed something?

Doesn't Duterte have cancer now?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grouchio posted:

everyone moved into the CSPAM Philippines thread

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The C-SPAM thread's been awful quiet too. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I just wanna complain about my water service!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

Yeah I started posting in the CSPAM equivalent thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

Duterte's probably sick, just by virtue of being goddamned old, but I don't really see it as any kind of solution to our current predicament - if he keeled over tomorrow, Robredo would rule like Aquino at best and like Macron at worst, and that just sets us up for another fascist in 2022.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
We were featured on Patriot Act. It was glorious.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Argue posted:

Former president Joseph Estrada, who was impeached and convicted of plunder in 2001, has been mayor of Metro Manila since 2013. 🙃
Does he still ride around in his Jeep with the machine gun on top?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Disharmony posted:

We were featured on Patriot Act. It was glorious.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDBWSSKhtpU

How accurate is it?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hahahaha, how does the condemnation of Iceland look like from your side? A lot of my countrymen are finally finding out about Duterte and it's amazing seeing the stories and comments

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

There's like a billion other things that you could point to Western countries doing that would be unequivocally bad. It would still be whataboutist posturing, but at least the weaponization of human rights to justify armed interventions and the regular occurrence of state-sanctioned killings by other police forces* would be actually relevant and are in fact logs in the eye of everyone else.

But the administration probably thinks bombing brown people under the guise of saving them from dictators is a good thing, so instead Senate President Tito Sotto decides to make his rebuttal about goddamn abortion.

* Duterte has even taken this exact angle before!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Our former US territory, everyone.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
But, more importantly, a former Spanish colony governed directly by Mexico under dispute. That encomienda system they left throughout their empire is pernicious and difficult as gently caress to break down.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I for one am looking forward to the Iceland-Philippines Ultra War

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ReindeerF posted:

But, more importantly, a former Spanish colony governed directly by Mexico under dispute. That encomienda system they left throughout their empire is pernicious and difficult as gently caress to break down.
I have the feeling I'm going to need a good summary as to why.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Americans didn't break up the haciendas during their colonial occupation of the Philippines, partly because that's all in line with basic capitalist principles, and partly because getting the landholders to cooperate made rule over the islands that much easier.

The Japanese weren't really around long enough, nor were they interested enough, to make a difference, either.

The Huks, our militant left-wing revolutionary movement that grew out of the anti-Japanese resistance movement, did have agrarian reform as its goal, but it was crushed by US-backed security forces through the 50s.

Attempts at capitalist-liberal agrarian reform have been largely failed ventures, since they're forever stuck in legal challenges, and extrajudicial intimidation of the small-time farmers.

Even in cases where a peasant farmer might get their plot of land awarded to them by the government, and even in cases where they're not constantly harassed by haciendero thugs, their productivity is low because of the small plot sizes combined with a lack of mechanization and bad irrigation (stemming from a lack of development support by the government), so they usually end up as a financial failure who are then forced to sell off the land back to the big landholders anyway.

Large swaths of the country are still controlled by a small group of families, most of whom have ties dating back to the Spanish occupation:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wait... We were once governed directly by Mexico? Or am I misunderstanding?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

Wait... We were once governed directly by Mexico? Or am I misunderstanding?

The Spanish divided their imperial territories into four administrative regions: New Spain, Peru, Rio de la Plata, and New Granada (with Castile being the dominant Kingdom within the Iberian peninsula).

The Viceroyalty of New Spain covered, at various times, Mexico, the Midwestern and Western United States, parts of British Columbia, Guatemala, Chiapas, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago, Guadeloupe, Guam, the Carolines, the Marianas, Formosa, Ternate ... and the Philippines.

The Viceroyalty headquartered itself in Acapulco and Veracruz, so were governed from what is now Mexico, though perhaps not "by" Mexico depending on how you want to look at it.

Or another way to put it is that the Governor-General of the Philippines (which is usually what's taught) reported to the Viceroy of New Spain.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I spoke to my Flipino co-workers earlier. They are all big supporters of Duerte. They say that they support him due to his strong stance on anti-corruption, federalization, and focus on the poor. They painted him in a much different light then American media does.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I for one am looking forward to the Iceland-Philippines Ultra War
The national media here just coveted Teddy and the hell comments; Im Sure many now regret the whole "not having an army" thing we got going on

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I spoke to my Flipino co-workers earlier. They are all big supporters of Duerte. They say that they support him due to his strong stance on anti-corruption, federalization, and focus on the poor. They painted him in a much different light then American media does.

It's true that Duterte's approvals are much higher than, say, Trump's or Bolsonaro's, and his win in the midterms is more similar to Narendra Modi's in that the liberal opposition was soundly trounced and his majority in Congress has only been strengthened.

Part of the glowing reviews you'll hear is class-driven: Filipinos working abroad are middle- to upper-middle class (or are trying to break into it), and so Duterte's tough anti-crime campaign appeals to them in a Nixonian fashion.

Another part is the distinct lack of credible opposition: the Liberal Party has been thoroughly discredited over the last three years - the Duterte campaign machinery has branded them as being corrupt, and their own policy positions largely amount to "Duterte bad, we will do better" with no real promise of material improvements. They tried to make the midterms a referendum on Duterte's policy with regards to the PRC's intrusion into the South China Sea and his accommodation of them, and that was just a complete loser of a campaign strategy.

At times, I do try to gut-check myself to see if I'm being contrarian for the hell of it, but I recognize that Duterte:

has done nothing to raise the minimum wage
has punted on calls to end labor-only contractualization (what the US might recognize as "right-to-work" laws)
has allowed the police to routinely assassinate labor and peasant activists
has continued to keep the island of Mindanao under martial law to drive indigenuous peoples out of their lands (to open them up to mining interests)
has passed a tax reform bill that gutted the estate tax and raised VAT
has passed a tariff bill that allowed the unrestricted flow of rice imports into the country (to the detriment of the plight of local farmers)
has refused to engage in peace talks with the militant left

and I'm still pretty confident I'm on the right side of history

and if it does seem like the "foreign media" is treating him unfairly, that's because the only negative things ever written about him are with regards to his boorish behavior and the human rights catastrophe that is his anti-drug campaign, and almost never all the stuff I just listed above

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I at least get the impression that Duerte track record will be at least more mixed than say Trump and Bolsanaro who are solely on the wrong side of history on everything besides insanely few exceptions like North Korea.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Another part is the distinct lack of credible opposition: the Liberal Party has been thoroughly discredited over the last three years - the Duterte campaign machinery has branded them as being corrupt, and their own policy positions largely amount to "Duterte bad, we will do better" with no real promise of material improvements. They tried to make the midterms a referendum on Duterte's policy with regards to the PRC's intrusion into the South China Sea and his accommodation of them, and that was just a complete loser of a campaign strategy.

It's hilarious how this just fails worldwide as an opposition tactic. United States, Venezuela, Brazil, and soon to be France. "We'll look at how bad these people are!" doesn't get people to vote for you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I at least get the impression that Duerte track record will be at least more mixed than say Trump and Bolsanaro who are solely on the wrong side of history on everything besides insanely few exceptions like North Korea.

probably! Duterte is likely to be remembered as having kept the country puttering along, with a couple of outliers like passing free tuition for state colleges and (on-paper) improvements to healthcare coverage

of course, that assumes that A. the economy doesn't take a huge poo poo, B. there isn't a climate-change-triggered cataclysm, and C. he doesn't explicitly act dictatorial, before 2022. He might not need to do C, but A and B are big question marks for how far out the administration still has to tread

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What do you mean by healthcare has only improved "on paper"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
here's a breakdown of the recent "universal healthcare" law that was passed:

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/226810-explanation-what-filipinos-can-expect-universal-health-care-law

I say "on paper" because this is very obviously not universal healthcare - it's not even close to Obamacare, but the title of the bill means its going to be claimed as such

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the Philippines' climate vulnerability primarily from rising sea levels and hurricanes? Or are temperatures and biomass erosion also big hitters?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Would it be fair that the Duerte may be looked back in the future in a similar way to Peronism is? Like very mixed with some strong silverlinings, but for the most part bad.

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's a breakdown of the recent "universal healthcare" law that was passed:

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/226810-explanation-what-filipinos-can-expect-universal-health-care-law

I say "on paper" because this is very obviously not universal healthcare - it's not even close to Obamacare, but the title of the bill means its going to be claimed as such

I see.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Who are these "Akbayan youth" folks?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2572038692827954&id=138497182848796

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

Is the Philippines' climate vulnerability primarily from rising sea levels and hurricanes? Or are temperatures and biomass erosion also big hitters?

I'm not well-versed in the science well enough to comment on biomass erosion, but yes, temperatures are also a problem: Manila had a water crisis in April from its nearby reservoirs drying up over the particularly bad El Nino season this year, but we're now in the middle of the rainy season and the reservoirs are still frequently at their critical level, and water service interruptions are still regularly happening. I expect that this will not ever go away until it just becomes a complete dehydration of the city.

There's also the problem of record-high temperatures wreaking havoc on crops.

Akbayan is a Social Democrat party that's probably most well-known for splitting off from the rest of the leftist groups during the Aquino administration to throw in their lot with Aquino's Liberal Party.

As of the 2016 general election, they had one candidate elected to the Senate under their party, Risa Hontiveros, who's been at the head of most social justice legislation coming out of that chamber, and is also the most consistent vote against Duterte's economic policies (even the Liberal Party senators either only abstained, or actively voted for, the TRAIN tax reform bill, for example). Hontiveros is not up for re-election until 2019.

In the House, Akbayan had one Representative from their party as of 2016, and there was a palpable difference between their votes, and that of the rest of the "Makabayan bloc", a caucus of militant left representatives. During the 2019 mid-terms, Akbayan failed to hold on to their one House seat.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 22, 2019