Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

"lost generation? never heard of it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If you want another heartbreaking story, this one was trending on Reddit today. A nurse describes in second-person-voice what it was like to give end-of-life care to a young woman who died on mother's day. It will probably make you cry. It made me cry.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
A different take on the "for profit University" scam:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/us/mined-minds-west-virginia-coding.html

quote:

A nonprofit called Mined Minds, promising to teach West Virginians how to write computer code and then get them well-paying jobs, was looking for recruits.

“I wholeheartedly believe, and will always believe,” Ms. Frame said to the camera, “that God has sent Mined Minds to us to save us from what could have been a very bleak future.”

She had every reason to believe. Joe Manchin III, her Democratic senator, had invited the group to come into the state. The National Guard hired it to teach at its military-style academy. County commissioners arranged space rent free. National news outlets gave glowing coverage.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pregnant Woman Gives Birth Alone in Jail Cell Hours After Asking for Help

quote:

Jackson, who suffers from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, was reportedly bleeding in her cell and “six hours and 54 minutes” after she initially asked for help, an employee “notified medical staff that Ms. Jackson was holding her newborn baby in her arms, having delivered the baby without medication or the assistance of a physician,” the letter said.

I am so glad mom and baby are safe but no one should ever have to endure that, especially not a person who is already vulnerable due to mental illness.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Broward County, FL

I'm wearing my surprised face.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Something strange is unfolding in Germany right now
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/13/three-people-shot-crossbow-german-hotel

3 people have been found dead in Paschau, all killed by crossbow bolts. One man in his fifties and two women in their thirties. One of the women and the man were found lying on a bed, with several crossbow bolts inside them. The other woman was next to the bed, with only a single bolt. She is believed to have killed the other two.

Now two more dead women have been found in the flat of one of the dead women, on the other side of Germany. No crossbows seem to have been involved here.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/13/three-people-shot-crossbow-german-hotel

3 people have been found dead in Paschau, all killed by crossbow bolts. One man in his fifties and two women in their thirties. One of the women and the man were found lying on a bed, with several crossbow bolts inside them. The other woman was next to the bed, with only a single bolt. She is believed to have killed the other two.

Now two more dead women have been found in the flat of one of the dead women, on the other side of Germany. No crossbows seem to have been involved here.

slingshot channel guy finally snapped

JK that dude seems cool as hell

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yo, if you're a fan of this thread and aren't watching HBO's Chernobyl miniseries, you are missing out.

It's like Unnerving: The Series.

Actually, it's like :nms: The Series.

It's so great and horrifying all at the same time. Nightmare fuel for sure.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

kanonvandekempen posted:

It had to be something like 15 or more years back in Chicago someone was going around the undercity shooting homeless people with a crossbow. I still remember the cop getting interviewed on the news saying 'we've never seen anything like this'.

Thwomp posted:

Yo, if you're a fan of this thread and aren't watching HBO's Chernobyl miniseries, you are missing out.

I've been curious about it but waiting to hear from anyone who's sat through it first.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've been curious about it but waiting to hear from anyone who's sat through it first.

It's only aired 2 episodes of its 5 total. The first opening one is so good and so atmospheric while also being incredibly accurate. The second one doesn't quite start with as strong of a bang (ha!) but keeps the quality going.

The cast and acting are ridiculously great. The attention to detail is phenomenal. The music/score is so eerie and unsettling is just adds to the overall tension and horror.

Please note: it's not a direct recreation of the events though it hews as close as possible. They don't speak Russian in the show though all the signs, music, billboards, etc are in Russian. A couple of characters are amalgams of many different individuals who contributed to the overall story or are stand-ins for general forces at work.

There's also a companion podcast where the creator talks about the real events, what real-life craziness he wanted to include but didn't feel like people would accept as real, and where decisions were made on what to include/exclude. It's hosted by Peter Sagal of all people (yeah, the Wait Wait! guy).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I took a class on the History of Atomics and while it was mostly focused on America, we did cover Chernobyl because of it's impact. I think the real life craziness that happened would probably terrify people more than accepting if it was real or not.

Seriously, the amount of cluelessness/carelessness humanity's had towards atomics is horrifying. It's a wonder we haven't killed ourselves yet from stupidity.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The BBC did a one-hour documentary-drama thing about Chernobyl a while ago that was pretty good. Starred Adrian Edmondson, mostly known for comedy acting.
Quality's not great here but it's watchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njTQaUCk4KY

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you're not into TV shows, but you are into gut-wrenching horror, Voices from Chernobyl is a book where a lady interviewed more than 500 people connected to the disaster and wrote it all down.

I couldn't finish it because every page was a fresh hell. Including the excerpt about this one guy who came out of the zone and he was going to throw away all of his irradiated clothing, but his son wanted the cap, so he gave him the cap.... and he died like a year or two later because of the radiation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's something about the silent horror of death by radiation sickness that the mind absolutely recoils from. Like, how can someone die from having a light shone at them? It doesn't make instinctive sense. It's too bizarre. I know how it happens, of course, it's just that it doesn't *make sense* on a fundamental level. It's almost lovecraftian in its bewildering power.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Basically it's micro nano particles going in your pores and messing up with your DNA.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Atomic Accidents is great horror nonfiction. It's written by a guy who was a nuclear power researcher, and when he covers Chernobyl, he makes the case that pretty much every decision that could have been made, from the design of the plant, to its control scheme, its staffing and hierarchy and their training, to the test protocol that led to the meltdown - every decision made was a bad one that an idiot would do, and that if anyone with an ounce of sense in their head had made even one choice the other way, Chernobyl wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

Goddamn Phy that was a run-on sentence. Who do you think you are, Charles Dickens?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HopperUK posted:

The BBC did a one-hour documentary-drama thing about Chernobyl a while ago that was pretty good. Starred Adrian Edmondson, mostly known for comedy acting.
Quality's not great here but it's watchable.

Ade is a talented actor, and I wish he would do more drama and serious stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's a fictional graphic novel but if you ever want to get seriously depressed I recommend reading When the Wind Blows, which is about an elderly British couple dealing with a nuclear attack on England. There is also a animated movie based on it and I must warn you that the whole thing is bloody heartwrenching.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
'Threads', which is about a hypothetical nuclear attack in Sheffield in the UK, is one to watch as well (if you want to be miserable).

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Madkal posted:

It's a fictional graphic novel but if you ever want to get seriously depressed I recommend reading When the Wind Blows, which is about an elderly British couple dealing with a nuclear attack on England. There is also a animated movie based on it and I must warn you that the whole thing is bloody heartwrenching.

Pretty sure that one got aired - possibly repeatedly - during regular kid cartoon hours back in the 80s/90s and scarred every one of us who watched it, :lofty:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

'Threads', which is about a hypothetical nuclear attack in Sheffield in the UK, is one to watch as well (if you want to be miserable).

Threads is on Shudder streaming. It's definitely one of the more unflinching films in the nuclear attack subgenre. The Day After from around the same time was pretty decent, but really suffers from a big name cast not willing to go the distance to show fallout effects beyond losing hair.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Ade is a talented actor, and I wish he would do more drama and serious stuff.

You'll be delighted to hear he's just joined the cast of Eastenders.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
As always when this thread turns to discussing Nuclear Power/Weapons, I feel the need to recommend Command and Control

It is an excellent and engaging book that talks about the nuclear program in the US, with SAC, Broken Arrows, near misses, silo fires, and all the general jackassery that went on. Very good read.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Any quick examples of the sorts of shenanigans that got left out of the Chernobyl miniseries for being too unbelievable? I can only imagine someone using a chunk of depleted uranium as a doorstop to prop open a door that should be sealed at all times.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Antioch posted:

As always when this thread turns to discussing Nuclear Power/Weapons, I feel the need to recommend Command and Control

It is an excellent and engaging book that talks about the nuclear program in the US, with SAC, Broken Arrows, near misses, silo fires, and all the general jackassery that went on. Very good read.

You're probably why I have that book on my wishlist to eventually pick up.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Any quick examples of the sorts of shenanigans that got left out of the Chernobyl miniseries for being too unbelievable? I can only imagine someone using a chunk of depleted uranium as a doorstop to prop open a door that should be sealed at all times.

After the atomics class and History of Science class I took, absolutely nothing could surprise me. After all, when they were working on the bomb out here by me during the war, they had someone just driving with some uranium in a box in the front seat of his car like it was no big deal.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
There's a chemist named Derek Lowe who used to write a great column called Things I Won't Work With, spotlighting various terribly dangerous or volatile or smelly chemicals. This discussion reminded me of a post of his where he excerpts a paragraph from a book on the history of rocket fuel science, which was apparently not much more responsibly handled than nuclear science in its infancy:

quote:

[Chlorine trifluoride] is, of course, extremely toxic, but that’s the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with [ie will spontaneously combust when brought into contact with] every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water - with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals - steel, copper, aluminium, etc. - because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

The whole column is amazing though. I might look back through it for a few more favorites.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

showbiz_liz posted:

There's a chemist named Derek Lowe who used to write a great column called Things I Won't Work With, spotlighting various terribly dangerous or volatile or smelly chemicals. This discussion reminded me of a post of his where he excerpts a paragraph from a book on the history of rocket fuel science, which was apparently not much more responsibly handled than nuclear science in its infancy:

The whole column is amazing though. I might look back through it for a few more favorites.

I remember those. There were some compounds so unstable that they could blow up if a stray atom hit them wrong, if my memory isn’t exaggerating things.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

The team that developed one of the first superacids got mad drunk at their Christmas party and started dissolving just random junk in it, like pens and novelty candles. Research scientists don't tend to be the most responsible people in the world

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

vaguely posted:

The team that developed one of the first superacids got mad drunk at their Christmas party and started dissolving just random junk in it, like pens and novelty candles. Research scientists don't tend to be the most responsible people in the world

I mean, that's kind of awesome. What's the point of making a magic acid if you can't dissolve a bunch of office supplies at an Xmas party?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

vaguely posted:

And I thought that Onion video about bored scientists tossing random crap into the large hadron collider was supposed to be a joke. To be perfectly honest that's what I would do in that situation, but that's why I'm not allowed near incredibly dangerous materials.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I remember at university we would mess around with liquid nitrogen quite a lot.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Don Gato posted:

And I thought that Onion video about bored scientists tossing random crap into the large hadron collider was supposed to be a joke. To be perfectly honest that's what I would do in that situation, but that's why I'm not allowed near incredibly dangerous materials.

If you build it, you get to do what the gently caress you want with it. That's the best bit of science.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Thwomp posted:

Please note: it's not a direct recreation of the events though it hews as close as possible. They don't speak Russian in the show though all the signs, music, billboards, etc are in Russian. A couple of characters are amalgams of many different individuals who contributed to the overall story or are stand-ins for general forces at work.

I don't think they speak Russian in Pripyat either.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

yeah don't get me wrong, playing 'what stupid bullshit can we do with our lab supplies' is the best part of science so it's not at all surprising that nuclear physicists have done a lot of weird and inadvisable things

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

cloudchamber posted:

I don't think they speak Russian in Pripyat either.

Eh, close enough that linguists spent a chunk of the 19th century arguing over whether or not they (along with Belarusan) were actually separate languages or just dialects of the same language.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Eh, close enough that linguists spent a chunk of the 19th century arguing over whether or not they (along with Belarusan) were actually separate languages or just dialects of the same language.

oh well if 19th century linguists didn't think so

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Don Gato posted:

This is barely fiction.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pvt.Scott posted:

I remember those. There were some compounds so unstable that they could blow up if a stray atom hit them wrong, if my memory isn’t exaggerating things.

There was some video of a nitrogen compound that they got to violently combust by slightly moving the paper(?) it was sitting on. The explanation was it was so unstable that the friction of some pieces of it moving when the paper was disturbed was enough to cause a chain reaction.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alaois posted:

oh well if 19th century linguists didn't think so

Name one thing linguists have accomplished since then. Go ahead, take your time. I'll just wait around by these definitely stationary goalposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Name one thing linguists have accomplished since then. Go ahead, take your time. I'll just wait around by these definitely stationary goalposts

lmao you're massively insane