Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Kvlt! posted:

two drat people watched i trapped the devil last night and NEITHER reported back

I ended up not being able to watch until tonight! I liked it, though not without its flaws. it was a pretty efficient, self-contained movie, and definitely worth a watch. I loved the atmosphere. I enjoyed it.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Someone asked about horror movies involving twins recently. Shudder just now added The Other, from the 70s, first time I've seen this film available anywhere for a while. It's kind of ... tame as far as violence or gore but it's creepy and will scratch the itch of anyone into good twin/evil twin stories.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zwabu posted:

Someone asked about horror movies involving twins recently. Shudder just now added The Other, from the 70s, first time I've seen this film available anywhere for a while. It's kind of ... tame as far as violence or gore but it's creepy and will scratch the itch of anyone into good twin/evil twin stories.

Just watched this tonight. There are a few things about the movie that feel extremely predictable, but those threads are wrapped up in the first hour and then the final thirty minutes are off the rails in a way that really blindsided me. I'd recommend it, with the small caveat that you need to give it time to go to work.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i had to stop watching starry eyes 20 minutes in to go to work but i hope these terrible la people die

Mitoboru
Mar 2, 2016

Fun Shoe
Catching up on the last few pages, a lot of It 2017 talk. I have to admit that I know I’ve seen it but I really have no memory of that movie.

Also quite a few Nekromantik mentions. I’ve seen Der Todesking, should I watch Nekromantik?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I watched The Other for the challenge this month and really enjoyed it, but I tend to like that kind of slow burn. There was also a surprising amount of subtlety to it. Things like the kid's drawing of the Lindbergh kidnapper and the fact that the would-be tattletale didn't die until after his mom told Niles her kid could just borrow Holland's bike helped balance out some of the more predictable aspects of it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

R. Guyovich posted:

i had to stop watching starry eyes 20 minutes in to go to work but i hope these terrible la people die

Oh man I loved starry eyes. I had totally forgotten about it for some reason but I should watch it again

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Professor Funk posted:

Oh man I loved starry eyes. I had totally forgotten about it for some reason but I should watch it again

There's a goon edit somewhere that's pretty good.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

starry eyes was ok. very on the nose but that's not the worst thing in the world. not very many interesting shots, low budget. but it really revved up in the last 20 minutes

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
ain't nothing wrong with low budget

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sleepaway Camp is streaming on both Pluto and Tubi.

For some reason the version on Pluto is obviously from someone's worn out VHS tape. That's cool if you're really that nostalgic for VHS, but I have a 65" 4K TV, I want more from my picture

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I started watching Night of Something Strange on Shudder and turned it off after the first five minutes, which contained necrophilia, rape (possibly incestual?), a woman getting pissed on, and the same woman getting her genitals ripped off. What the gently caress.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's a goon edit somewhere that's pretty good.

A goon edit by yours truly, on Vimeo!

https://vimeo.com/292234163

e: Guyovich it seems like you had the same issues with it I did (too on-the-nose, too slow) so you might dig this

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
A successful Mother's Day making my mom brunch, my wife and I recommending she see Hush and Gerald's Game, and her spending the rest of her Mother's Day double featuring both of them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I checked out Pet Sematary today for $2 a ticket and... I don't hate it. It's not fantastic, but I appreciate that it does something different and doesn't try to just copy the book/original film to make it completely pointless. Well shot and some good acting, but it's a shame that Lithgow doesn't have that magic that Gwynne had. Drags towards the end but eh, worth a cheap watch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

I started watching Night of Something Strange on Shudder and turned it off after the first five minutes, which contained necrophilia, rape (possibly incestual?), a woman getting pissed on, and the same woman getting her genitals ripped off. What the gently caress.

also yeah this is why i never ever watch anything on Shudder blind

you are very, very likely to enter someone's enchanted piss forest

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s def a night of something strange!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Out of morbid curiosity I was going to watch it, but funny enough it's one of the movies that apparently isn't included with Amazon Shudder and we were just having a conversation in this thread as to what isn't on Amazon Shudder and there you go.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mitoboru posted:

Catching up on the last few pages, a lot of It 2017 talk. I have to admit that I know I’ve seen it but I really have no memory of that movie.

Also quite a few Nekromantik mentions. I’ve seen Der Todesking, should I watch Nekromantik?

I’ve not seen Der Todesking, but I would recommend watching Nekromantik if you’re ok with the subject matter. There’s also one scene of animal cruelty that’s a bummer. It’s one of those gray area ones though because it’s just footage of a real life rabbit farmer slaughtering and dressing a rabbit. Still not something a lot of people are ok with so I feel the need to mention it.

Also:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also yeah this is why i never ever watch anything on Shudder blind

you are very, very likely to enter someone's enchanted piss forest

The first 5 minutes of Nekromantik are definitely someone's (Jörg Buttgereit’s) enchanted piss forest

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Umm I thought id seen Friday the 13th part 3 until I got to those opening credits. Holy poo poo.

Edit: Woof, imagine being me, starting this not knowing it was a 3d movie.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 13, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I was going to watch it, but funny enough it's one of the movies that apparently isn't included with Amazon Shudder and we were just having a conversation in this thread as to what isn't on Amazon Shudder and there you go.

CelticPredator posted:

That’s def a night of something strange!

I've sat through it twice in full. Second time was for not being sure I really saw all the poo poo in that one the first time.

Pretty much if the first 5 min was too much, there's much worse as it goes on. Essentially it's an outbreak of zombie STD which makes perpetually horny sex zombies . So, there's plenty of rape happening to both genders, genitalia tentacles for both genders...etc... In short if you can make some messed up sex reference, it's in there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

And I thought The Ranger was bad, god drat Shudder.

So I'm waiting on Shudder to get the last season of Channel Zero but it doesn't seem like it's happening or some poo poo and I want to watch it. Is the last season good and worth buying for the $15 on Amazon?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

And I thought The Ranger was bad, god drat Shudder.

Considering what clunkers I've come across on Shudder are still barely a drop in the bucket compared to how many I've come across on AmazonPrime, Shudder's still the better bet to take a blind watch on.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've sat through it twice in full. Second time was for not being sure I really saw all the poo poo in that one the first time.

Pretty much if the first 5 min was too much, there's much worse as it goes on. Essentially it's an outbreak of zombie STD which makes perpetually horny sex zombies . So, there's plenty of rape happening to both genders, genitalia tentacles for both genders...etc... In short if you can make some messed up sex reference, it's in there.

welp, glad I ducked out then. I actually picked it because I sort of know the producer (friend of a friend), he runs a local studio that makes super low budget stuff and re-releases old shot on video movies. I'd like to support them more, but the handful of things I've seen have been mostly really awful.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering what clunkers I've come across on Shudder are still barely a drop in the bucket compared to how many I've come across on AmazonPrime, Shudder's still the better bet to take a blind watch on.

Yeah seriously. My recommended section on Prime has morphed into crap russian roulette with bullets in half the chambers. It’s my fault of course, but there’s some really bad schlock on there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

welp, glad I ducked out then. I actually picked it because I sort of know the producer (friend of a friend), he runs a local studio that makes super low budget stuff and re-releases old shot on video movies. I'd like to support them more, but the handful of things I've seen have been mostly really awful.

Well, as far as the makeup and effects go, they did do a very good job. It's just the story they had's an eyetwitcher.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah seriously. My recommended section on Prime has morphed into crap russian roulette with bullets in half the chambers. It’s my fault of course, but there’s some really bad schlock on there.

Only thing I can compare it to is the offerings on Steam. There's the occasional diamond there but Good Lord there's a lot of poo poo. I swear, me and some friends armed with a Super8 camera could do better. And what really sucks is you can hope the number of stars is an indicator, but as I've learned, nope it's not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really don't just blind watch random horror movies, on Shudder or any other streaming service. That's what this thread is here for, so others can be my guinea pigs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't just blind watch random horror movies, on Shudder or any other streaming service. That's what this thread is here for, so others can be my guinea pigs.

I figure anything from before 1994 is probably safe for watching.

Mitoboru
Mar 2, 2016

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve not seen Der Todesking, but I would recommend watching Nekromantik if you’re ok with the subject matter.

Well, I mean, necrophilia is not my favorite, but....

Joking aside, I can't say it was really on my list to watch but I trust this thread's recommendations so might give it a go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, on the rare occassion where I watch a horror without some kind of recommendation from this place or somewhere else I at least tend to hit the trailer to see that it looks half way decently made. Theres tons of Amazon movies that show up recommended for me and draw my interest based on title or poster but then 10 seconds into the trailer are clearly garbage.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Well if you're taking recs, you should watch the Guinea Pig films then!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mitoboru posted:

Well, I mean, necrophilia is not my favorite, but....

Joking aside, I can't say it was really on my list to watch but I trust this thread's recommendations so might give it a go.

I feel a little weird for recommending Nekromantik, honestly. It’s a zero-budget corpse sex comedy, but I was glad I finally got around to watching it. I definitely felt better coming away from it than I did watching other films with “extreme” reputations.

edit: Someone that posts in this thread likes it a lot so maybe they should chime in, but I can’t remember who though. Kvlt! maybe?

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 13, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I wonder how well Android of Notre Dame has held up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Arivia posted:

I wonder how well Android of Notre Dame has held up.

Better than the Spire at least

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Nekromantik also has real footage of a rabbit being slaughtered and skinned, which was more off-putting to me than anything else.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nekromantik also has real footage of a rabbit being slaughtered and skinned, which was more off-putting to me than anything else.

Yeah it’s a bummer. I’m not squeamish about farm animals being slaughtered really, but it definitely gives me a “why am I watching this again?” vibe. Ditto the pissing scenes honestly.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I really like Shudder but they just tried to double bill me and customer support says they have no evidence that they did. Highly recommend checking that you aren’t get billed twice by them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ruddiger posted:

quote:

In 1991, the films received additional media attention when film personality Chris Gore met actor Charlie Sheen and gave him a copy. Sheen then watched Flowers of Flesh and Blood and, mistaking it for a genuine snuff film, contacted the FBI to report it.

Hahaha

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Are there any redeeming qualities in those Guinea Pig movies outside of the court case? I’ve heard they’re hard to sit through and are devoid of any plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You know a movie is hosed up if Charlie Sheen can't masturbate to it.