Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ready to be bored once again! :munch:

E: what a boring snype.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Nyanpasu! :getin:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

god bless us all, a new chapter is already upon us

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Truly, sometimes this is like listening to an old album from a band you thought you "outgrew", but then it turns out it's still pretty rad. :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mikl posted:

Nyanpasu! :getin:
I clicked that button so much :f5:
Speaking of, the button has been pressed over 1.3 billion times.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 13, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The credits page page makes a not entirely invalid point.

~Sapphic Suffering Sells~

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The credit pages have been awful lately and I am trying to ignore them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
credits pages are either completely functional and unremarkable or an unholy assault on the senses. there is no middle ground.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

credits pages are either completely functional and unremarkable or an unholy assault on the senses. there is no middle ground.

but the sexy akiba detective credit pages make me laugh pretty regularly i think that is somewhat remarkable...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Idk who does the 5toubun translation, but some of their credit pages have made me laugh.

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's kind of a shame such a great series has such awful translation pages that ruin the mood.

That said, it actually is kind of funny how the other series (the name of which escapes me) manages to evoke feelings of "There's only 23 chapters?" and "There's already 23 chapters?" with how much of it has been completely forgettable filler. (I liked it at first but man, that series has Hatsukoi Zombie levels of "nothing happens" most of the time).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i dunno i think it's worthwhile to get a reminder every once in a while that no matter how wholesome a series is, the primary western demographic of readers will always be complete degenerates

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uhhhh

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think the last time I heard "degenerate" and the context wasn't something kinda hosed up, the discussion was about electron orbitals

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Venuz Patrol posted:

i dunno i think it's worthwhile to get a reminder every once in a while that no matter how wholesome a series is, the primary western demographic of readers will always be complete degenerates

I am not exactly sure what you mean by wholesome in this case, but I get the nagging feeling if you were to explain, I would dislike it anyway.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i mean that for a series about a high schooler trying to figure out queer sexuality the translators seem to be fairly obsessed with whether or not she'll gently caress her adult sister in law

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it turns out the nagging feelings was right

as much as I hate the credits page, they seem more obsessed with the idea of this becoming "legitimized" than anything. i am going to take a wild guess here and say that for that to happen for them it wouldn't just take a straight up sex scene but i could be wrong.

also your framing of this sucks in general because you are presenting your side as righteous when you use the word "wholesome" to describe this type of story, which is infantilizing.

and hell, is completely off base in the first place if i am following what you mean by wholesome. the manga leans heavily on imagery full of sexual tension.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

wow, all the words in this post suck

please never refer to anything as 'wholesome' ever again

or 'queer' come to think of it

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 14, 2019

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
with how this thread mostly kept away from age gap poo poo in the past, i sorta assumed the rest of the thread shared my read that shino’s fixation with nozomi was partially her not fully acknowledging/understanding her own sexuality and partially a response to the trauma of losing her brother. i figured the natural progression of the story would involve both of them learning to move on and form an equally loving but less codependent relationship

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

furthermore, i dont know how anyone would come to the conclusion that our pure #woke queen kuzushiro could ever possibly write a series about a lesbian romance with a large age gap. truly, this is an example of the degeneracy of westerners projecting such things onto someone who would never write such a thing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Venuz Patrol posted:

i figured the natural progression of the story would involve both of them learning to move on and form an equally loving but less codependent relationship

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm not sure where this is published but this is definitely gayer than a lot of series published in yuri magazines

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm not sure where this is published but this is definitely gayer than a lot of series published in yuri magazines
well, its a seinen magazine, but its the same seinen magazine saki runs in

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

well, its a seinen magazine, but its the same seinen magazine saki runs in

the saki eu grows increasingly powerful

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Venuz Patrol posted:

with how this thread mostly kept away from age gap poo poo in the past, i sorta assumed the rest of the thread shared my read that shino’s fixation with nozomi was partially her not fully acknowledging/understanding her own sexuality and partially a response to the trauma of losing her brother. i figured the natural progression of the story would involve both of them learning to move on and form an equally loving but less codependent relationship

i don't really know how much more patronizing you could have made this post be

everythingWasBees posted:

yeah its pretty gay

DisDisDis posted:

what a good time for me to reach this chapter cover

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i think they should get together in the end just so there can be a panel of the sky with the title on it at the end but then it changes from 'my brother's wife' to just 'my wife' like at the end of the world ends with you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also the use of fixation is gross btw. like, shino is just into nozomi??? saying its a fixation because like, you think she hasn't realize stuff about her sexuality is as the kids say "f" up

but yeah, i do think the manga has laid out groundwork to say "if these two were to get into a relationship it would probably be unhealthy" and with characters like the underclassman girl in play it seem like things were open enough for shino to end up with someone else. and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the plan at a certain point.

but at a certain point things have shifted i think. and like... this is a manga about their relationship... it can very well go with the two of them realizing "this unhealthy" and then figuring out how to fix that and grow past it and end up together (hell it could also just revel in the unhealthiness and end up together). i honestly don't really give a crap if its problematic or whatever??? i just want it to be good!!1

to put it shortly:

Endorph posted:

personally i think they should get together in the end just so there can be a panel of the sky with the title on it at the end but then it changes from 'my brother's wife' to just 'my wife' like at the end of the world ends with you

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 14, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
next time people are stupid about this manga i am going to curse them with this image i just made

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
gently caress yeah, free coffee!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I honestly don't know if I'd say for certain that it actually is a yuri manga.

There's obviously really heavy yuri undertones, but it's entirely possible neither of them view the relationship in anything but a platonic way and that's okay too.

I think it would be nice if it finally decided to settle and have the characters (at least one of whom there is evidence for both us, the audience, and her, the character, to think is straight) come to terms with their feelings and how the relationship developed, but I assume if anything like that happens it's going to be in the very last chapter.

Endorph posted:

:yeah:

Snooze Cruise posted:

also the use of fixation is gross btw. like, shino is just into nozomi??? saying its a fixation because like, you think she hasn't realize stuff about her sexuality is as the kids say "f" up

You know, when you type like that it's really hard to actually comprehend your posts.

That said, I would totally believe Shino having not consciously thought about her sexuality at all, let alone come to the somewhat difficult conclusion of "I'm gay (for my sister in law.)"

Other than the possibility of her just being a late bloomer (she doesn't seem to have taken any notice that her male friend is interested in her), she's had other things going on that would reasonably keep her from thinking about it. Also, even if it's been changing lately, Japan's still a "Don't ask, don't tell" sort of place. Some people have a lot of difficulty coming to terms with being gay even in significantly more open places, so it's really not a stretch for her to not even consider that possibility.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence to the contrary, but in this sort of manga I think it would have come up if she'd actually thought about it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 14, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cuntellectual posted:

That said, I would totally believe Shino having not consciously thought about her sexuality at all, let alone come to the somewhat difficult conclusion of "I'm gay (for my sister in law.)"

Other than the possibility of her just being a late bloomer (she doesn't seem to have taken any notice that her male friend is interested in her), she's had other things going on that would reasonably keep her from thinking about it. Also, even if it's been changing lately, Japan's still a "Don't ask, don't tell" sort of place. Some people have a lot of difficulty coming to terms with being gay even in significantly more open places, so it's really not a stretch for her to not even consider that possibility.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence to the contrary, but in this sort of manga I think it would have come up if she'd actually thought about it.

ok.
my point was portraying it as a fixation is messed up, not "she isn't in the closet to herself"

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Cuntellectual posted:

I honestly don't know if I'd say for certain that it actually is a yuri manga.

There's obviously really heavy yuri undertones, but it's entirely possible neither of them view the relationship in anything but a platonic way and that's okay too.

Ah yes... their platonic relationship... What a pure display of sisterhood.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 14, 2019

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

(she doesn't seem to have taken any notice that her male friend is interested in her)

neither have i he barely exists lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

Ah yes... their platonic relationship... What a pure display of sisterhood.

That one was a hell of a chapter. Nozomi destroying people at a work drinking party was almost as good, though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

That said, it actually is kind of funny how the other series (the name of which escapes me) manages to evoke feelings of "There's only 23 chapters?" and "There's already 23 chapters?" with how much of it has been completely forgettable filler. (I liked it at first but man, that series has Hatsukoi Zombie levels of "nothing happens" most of the time).

It definitely has some oddness in the writing and pacing, but when I last read it (admittedly a while ago), it at least felt like it had enough moving parts to stay decently entertaining. Though I'm biased since I liked the author's doujin work and give a massive grain of salt to anything that's only available through FB scans.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

next time people are stupid about this manga i am going to curse them with this image i just made

imagine the power

imagine all the things you could put in your mouth

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
okay, i'm imagining all the things the mean coffee teacher could put in my mouth

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've mentioned before that I feel like not enough yuri manga deals with actually questioning if any of the characters are gay or not. I randomly stumbled onto this touhou AU doujin on dynasty reader that actually hit that in a way kinda close to home.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/facing_each_other_a_step_away

I liked it, at least. :shrug:

Motto posted:

It definitely has some oddness in the writing and pacing, but when I last read it (admittedly a while ago), it at least felt like it had enough moving parts to stay decently entertaining. Though I'm biased since I liked the author's doujin work and give a massive grain of salt to anything that's only available through FB scans.

I feel like it didn't do a very good job of establishing why we should be invested in the main character getting together with her brother's wife beyond the fact that the brother is an insensitive douchebag who doesn't seem to care about how his wife feels.

Generally I feel like it's best in romance stories when you can at least picture the main character moving on with their life if they don't get with the object (or objects) of their affection. I just don't think she has much else going on. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of credits pages that aren't absolute trash, Mochi Au Lait and Majoccoid did a story and while it's not normally the sort of thing I like to read since it involves school girls, it's pretty cute in a way.

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is absolutely great :allears: