Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can totally design a glass to look like it's bigger than it is. I had some drinks with some friends one Summer and was really confused because we all had the same number of schnapps but I ended up a lot more drunk. Turns out that despite not looking like it, my schnapps glass was 2½ times the size of the ones everyone else was drinking out of (because I didn't have enough of that type).

https://youtu.be/1xSDI9Gg63I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can totally design a glass to look like it's bigger than it is. I had some drinks with some friends one Summer and was really confused because we all had the same number of schnapps but I ended up a lot more drunk. Turns out that despite not looking like it, my schnapps glass was 2½ times the size of the ones everyone else was drinking out of (because I didn't have enough of that type).

Are restaurants not forced to put the amount of fluid they're serving on the menu where you live?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Feranon posted:

lol did any place on the internet hate women as much as 2000s SA did? at the time I mean

:dings:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lambert posted:

Are restaurants not forced to put the amount of fluid they're serving on the menu where you live?

Yes?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't have enough of that type

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Senju Kannon posted:

the tap water at my mom's house is so bad you can literally smell the sulfur while it's running, but it's technically safe to drink i think. it really needs a filter to not be completely disgusting tho

dirty lousy tramp posted:

"It's technically safe to drink" is damning with faint praise

from pages back but water treatment is actually a more difficult and local problem than people realize

making it safe to drink is actually the easy part - the real trick is making it clear and tasteless because people lose their minds if what's coming outta the tap has a yellow tint and tastes like wet feet, or whatever your local source's chemistry leads to

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have lost all trust in the tap water after finding out that apparently most of the country is on some Flint level lead pipes just waiting to become a disaster and also that the tap water can be lit on fire where fracking occurs.

Say what you will but water shouldn't be flammable.

e: also if you live anywhere near industry / coal / similar then that poo poo is probably seeping into the ground water

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
some places can have their tap sold as bottled water -- in the extreme, one of those raw water companies was just selling some municipalities tap water since it was just untreated spring water that was perfectly fine

other places have water you're surprised is safe to drink

the water i drank as a kid was pumped from the village well, which was re-located to across the street from me when i was in 7th grade or so

the water i drink now sometimes comes from a nearby reservoir and it smells like i'm showering in old leaves sometimes

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Moridin920 posted:

I have lost all trust in the tap water after finding out that apparently most of the country is on some Flint level lead pipes just waiting to become a disaster and also that the tap water can be lit on fire where fracking occurs.

e: also if you live anywhere near industry / coal / similar then that poo poo is probably seeping into the ground water

PFAS is all the rage now, it's even in the rich suburban neighborhoods

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't seem to be able to find a picture of it, or if i even took one, but I know i saw a notice by a stream in the santa cruz mountains once that the water was contaminated with lead or something else and you should avoid drinking it and other stuff

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

Some US states still mandated the use of lead pipes for water decades after most countries stopped using them.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

from pages back but water treatment is actually a more difficult and local problem than people realize

making it safe to drink is actually the easy part - the real trick is making it clear and tasteless because people lose their minds if what's coming outta the tap has a yellow tint and tastes like wet feet, or whatever your local source's chemistry leads to

"safe to drink" doesn't really help to think about when the smell of eggs is strong enough to make me gag every time i turn on a faucet at my girlfriend's apartment.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

lancemantis posted:

some places can have their tap sold as bottled water -- in the extreme, one of those raw water companies was just selling some municipalities tap water since it was just untreated spring water that was perfectly fine

other places have water you're surprised is safe to drink

the water i drank as a kid was pumped from the village well, which was re-located to across the street from me when i was in 7th grade or so

the water i drink now sometimes comes from a nearby reservoir and it smells like i'm showering in old leaves sometimes

When I was a kid we had a well. The water smelled metallic and it had little black flaky flecks in it. If I drank more than a little bit at a time I'd barf and get a headache. Farm runoff had something to do with it, supposedly. Now I live in a place that has decent municipal water (it is one of those places where they sell water "from municipal sources" in gallon jugs at the grocery store), but I still filter my tap water probably because I've been conditioned to associate tap water with puking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

While we're talking about water stories my ex was 100% convinced that the water from water treatment plants never found it's way back into the city water because "they aren't allowed to give us poop water"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

i vomit kittens posted:

"safe to drink" doesn't really help to think about when the smell of eggs is strong enough to make me gag every time i turn on a faucet at my girlfriend's apartment.

yeah that one's nasty, and could actually be a problem since that can gently caress up your pipes and water heater or indicate contamination from a sewerage leak

(if it's only present when you turn on the hot water then it just means that the water heater's old and breaking)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Len posted:

While we're talking about water stories my ex was 100% convinced that the water from water treatment plants never found it's way back into the city water because "they aren't allowed to give us poop water"

that's called "toilet to tap" and it's in widespread use across west texas. the apocryphal story i've heard is that by the time it becomes los angeles municipal water it's gone through the digestive systems of four people

if you've ever seen "reverse osmosis" water that's just the nice way to say "recycled from wastewater"

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 22:18 on May 13, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I drank a lot of sulfurous water laced with flecks of rusted metal as a kid due to my best friends living on a Canadian reservation, back before bottled water was a thing.

I wouldn't recommend drinking it, I'm nowhere close to being a normal person.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Weird. In Australia the tap water here is some of the highest quality in the world. I drink straight from the tap and it's fine.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Elman posted:

Guillotines don't work in zero-g.

In space we have something cooler than a guillotine.

An airlock.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Anidav posted:

Weird. In Australia the tap water here is some of the highest quality in the world. I drink straight from the tap and it's fine.

Did lead pipe manufacturers in Australia lobby states to keep lead pipes until the 80s, long after the dangers were obvious?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2PnI5xh28

Amazon plans to introduce new packaging machines at its warehouses that could eliminate 1,300 jobs nationwide, according to a new report from Reuters. Coincidentally or not, Amazon also announced this morning that it was launching a new program to encourage some existing Amazon warehouse employees to quit and start their own businesses delivering Amazon goods.

Amazon has also announced that it would launch a new program to encourage existing warehouse employees to quit and start their own businesses delivering packages for Amazon. The initiative, an expansion of what it calls the Delivery Service Partner program, will offer existing employees the equivalent of three months of their gross salary and up to $10,000 for company costs to create what Amazon calls a “startup” that delivers packages.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ya'll should try Phoenix, Arizona tap water. It's like drinking pool water, tastes awful and is sourced from the most bargain basement contractor pipes. And half of it goes to insane white people who want to have a lush green lawn in 120 degree heat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-man posted:

Ya'll should try Phoenix, Arizona tap water. It's like drinking pool water, tastes awful and is sourced from the most bargain basement contractor pipes. And half of it goes to insane white people who want to have a lush green lawn in 120 degree heat.

Every spring as the snow melts here, the water goes from kombucha to straight chlorine in like 3 days.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

T-man posted:

When I went to the Grand Canyon, this was my experience with the pipes on trail. It was some of the worst water I've had the misfortune to drink. (Which isn't saying much, Flint et. al.)

Compare that to UV purified stream water in Kentucky. That was the best water I've ever had.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Anidav posted:

Truth. I lived in western Queensland where the town water came from artesian bores. It was slippery as hell and had a bit of a sulphuric scent to it but was perfectly drinkable. We did have rainwater tanks for drinking water though. The artesian water was for everything else.

On the same topic, I started (but never finished) reading a book by a previous governor of Tokyo where in the first chapter he jerked himself senseless about how awesome and state-of-the-art the Japanese municipal water system is and how OMG you can drink it straight from the tap, a feat which is possible overseas in only <six places, one of which was Sydney>. I wanted to write and correct him but :effort:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

T-man posted:

look at this guy who hates capitalism

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

T-man posted:

Tempe water in Summer is even better because it's like drinking pool water with algae. It rocks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

arizona alone has over 300 golf courses, in a loving lifeless desert, that must be kept green year-round.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
All for the most garbage "sport" ever

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've never known anybody who willingly lived in arizona that was worth saving

sucks for the kids and ppl who can't afford to move but :capitalism:

everyone else tho, i'd piss on their dessicated bones. starting with sheriff joe

"IT'S A DRY HEAT" lol it goddamn will be

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Arizona", AKA the Conservative Boneyard.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I grew up there. I escaped, my sister remains.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

not a guy, but yes, with all my heart

I'm mostly sticking around to see the rich get what's coming to them, and to eat MREs in a hole somewhere after climate change goes causes mass extinction chains

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

T-man posted:

Who would have known water from an uninhabitable desert would taste bad?

Chomp8645 posted:

"Arizona", AKA the Conservative Boneyard.

I call it west Florida

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Who would have known water from an uninhabitable desert would taste bad?

The actual groundwater in pure, unfucked desert areas is fine, it's the urban decay, runoff from the Motorola plant and algae blooms in tepid reservoirs that make it godawful.

Source: Lived in the middle of the desert on a well, and routinely go back to the middle of the desert and drink from wells.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Warmachine posted:

In space we have something cooler than a guillotine.

An airlock.

too bad you cant hear the ceo screaming

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

got any sevens posted:

If you make his wife watch you'll hear all sorts of screaming.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

Just pull a No Remorse and use a decompression chamber.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'll be over here drinking chlorine- and fluorine-free, UV-sterilized sand dune filtered tap water. It tastes like bottled water.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

spankmeister posted:

I'll be over here drinking chlorine- and fluorine-free, UV-sterilized sand dune filtered tap water. It tastes like bottled water.

Sounds like someone's due for a guillotine/airlock appointment, buying water. There are starving children in Africa who could have drunk that water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

T-man posted:

Sounds like someone's due for a guillotine/airlock appointment, buying water. There are starving children in Africa who could have drunk that water.

It just comes out of the tap m8