Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cerebral posted:

It is really cool seeing the overall skill progression in this game. I saw a guy duck and jump swings on Friday and thought it was amazing, and that he must be some kind of super-alpha player, and by Sunday evening, I'm seeing it multiple times per game. Executioners and Zweihanders become a lot less scary when a simple crouch eliminates about 99% of your average user's moveset.

My personal progression for the weekend was that I went from barely being able to chamber (and completely unable to capitalize on it when I did manage to chamber), to being very competent with it by the end of the weekend. Just a few minutes of playing with a slowed down bot answered a lot of questions I had about the mechanics and gave me the confidence to try against real people. Suddenly thrust spam became something to look forward to instead of fear.

Setting up a slo-mo bot match goes like this:

1) Fight => Local Match => Deathmatch => 0 bots =>Pick Map => Start
2) Open console with ~
3) Type: toggledamage 0
4) Type: togglestamina 0
4) Type: slomo 0.7
5) Type: addbot 1

You can adjust the slow motion as you get a feel for things until you get up to full speed, but being able to see everything happening and being able to experiment against a bot for 10 minutes will help you more than watching a thousand youtube videos.

I didn't know you could slomo that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

eonwe posted:

I didn't know you could slomo that's cool

If you guys want to get better, fight eonwe, he is extremely good at this game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnaEObmB2xk

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's really crazy how much just a little camera movement enables you to dodge headshots and overheads, really gotta start working on that on my end.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, firebomb spam is getting kinda dumb. Just had a game on mountain peak where the opposing team had several people with 2+ firebombs, and basically the entire objective area was on fire 24/7

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Had the day off. Did some streaming. Here's a few clips:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastBusyAlpacaHumbleLife

https://clips.twitch.tv/CloudySpunkyDovePoooound

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lol on frontlines me and some dude are fighting hard and we are both hurt but he's getting the best of me. I whiff my swing and am ready for my coup de Grace as load up my next attack too late. Lo and behold an enemy team mate runs up to "help" and swings wildly like a jackass and clips my opponent, staggering him and my maul knocks off both their heads.

He was raging in the chat and I actually felt sympathy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol on frontlines me and some dude are fighting hard and we are both hurt but he's getting the best of me. I whiff my swing and am ready for my coup de Grace as load up my next attack too late. Lo and behold an enemy team mate runs up to "help" and swings wildly like a jackass and clips my opponent, staggering him and my maul knocks off both their heads.

He was raging in the chat and I actually felt sympathy.

It is one thing to not check your own shots in a crowd or mistake a blood covered teammate for the opposite team or whatever. And clipping people you did not see next to you on a wide swing? Accidents happen. Running in front of you in the middle of a fight, however, is on them.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I hit my teammates all the time with wild swings as a fast low armor executioner sword, and avg 2 tk’s a match I think. But I’m usually 35+ kills near or at top of kill count, usually under 20 deaths.

Sometimes I just f up and my k/d is like 10/20. I have those matches where my timing is off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mystery Machine posted:

Wait if i have a regular shield and a pavaise, will I be, in fact, immortal?

Shields that you're not actively blocking with will do nothing against melee attacks, but they'll still stop projectiles.
For the cost of 2 points and a weapon slot, you'll be immune to archers or axe-throwers nailing you in the back. Apparently doing this was pretty popular in Chiv but then again that game didn't let you parry arrows so it was the only defense.

On the subject of axe throwing: I am Extremely Disappointed that throwing axes with the huntsman perk only do 96 damage to default-loadout archers instead of 100.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Shields that you're not actively blocking with will do nothing against melee attacks, but they'll still stop projectiles.
For the cost of 2 points and a weapon slot, you'll be immune to archers or axe-throwers nailing you in the back. Apparently doing this was pretty popular in Chiv but then again that game didn't let you parry arrows so it was the only defense.

On the subject of axe throwing: I am Extremely Disappointed that throwing axes with the huntsman perk only do 96 damage to default-loadout archers instead of 100.

I can imagine a funny mostly naked, double shielded anti archer assassin build in the works. Will report.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

The dudes swinging their swords/mauls/war axe while moving in figure eights and just hewing through two and three people at a time. They're not fun to fight even if you know how and it looks ridiculous.
Going from the Maul's micro distance to using the greatsword more has been hilaaaaarious, and I'm a filthy casual who's idea of "abuse drags" is to wildly swing my mouse from side to side and pray to Odin.

As is murphy's law, this was paired with the first time I ever saw someone crying "Mauls are the ONLY broken weapon in the game!" once I started enjoying being able to accidentally kill enemies I hadn't even seen yet without even dragging, jst plain old regular walking forward facing forward swings.

So many tears over 99% thrust weapons, but it's always a real loving eye opener whenever I pick up a reasonable length choppy weapon and it's like I'm back in Chivalry where Vanguards will cry over shortswords.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm disappointed in that I remember ready that the devs were trying hard to avoid the helicoptering bullshit

They did avoid Chivalry helicopters. In the sense Chivalry helicopters were insane 720 blenders, people bent over backwards at a 90 degree angles, walking backwards into people so their overhands will hit people behind them faster than they would hit someone in front of them.

So yes, it's way "Better" than chivalry on avoiding helicopter bullshit. But even a 270 degree angle would be "Better" than Chivalry.

I assume it's probably worse in the most tryhard of duel servers, but on average most attempts at extreme twisting are things even I can perceive (if not always so hot at blocking), which still feels like a huge improvement. That and blocking feels more generous than I remember from Chivalry, so people attempting 45 degree angle thrusts have at least felt way easier to block on panic reflex than helicopter blade swords. (People trying to run away and then 180 with a micro length maul meanwhile, spirals between "Aw that's adorable, even I don't fall for that!" and then watching in confusion as top frag gods run face first into it constantly).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2019

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Mystery Machine posted:

I can imagine a funny mostly naked, double shielded anti archer assassin build in the works. Will report.

I do exactly this with a 0/0/0 bastard sword, kite shield, pavise shield with Rat for extra sneakyness. Players have called me a turtle. It works surprisingly well since the bastard sword rules.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
People with 100s or even 1000s of hours practicing playing this game and chivalry are going to be way better at it than you or other people who just got it or are really out of practice, since its a skill based game.

Being way better at it than you means better footwork and a better feel for the speed of attacks and the lengths of weapons and the acrs where they hit and stuff and they will poo poo all over you and everyone else.

Its what made chivalry such a phenomenally good game, it took a little while to get good at it, but really mastering it was something else entirely. And there was more than one way to master it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

cock hero flux posted:

two knights approach to do battle. the first swings his sword, the second parries it and then drops into a backwards crab stance as 4 additional arms made entirely out of ethereal light explode out of his torso, each of them holding a different weapon. the first knight staggers back and attempts to block, but he can only block so much as the second knight begins to rotate furiously, his form twisting and contorting as his many arms strike and feint and strike again. finally, the first knight's sword falls from his hands and he drops to his knees, exhausted. the second knight's spectral arms rip the first's soul from his body and cram it into the gaping maw of the second. satisfied, the second knight ascends into the heavens in a beam of light as the first's body turns to stone, his face locked forever in an expression of pure horror

from a hill top, the wise master watches. "the first knight lost because his form was inferior. such is the fate of those who neglect their studies of the blade".

It certainly feels that way sometimes.

But really,

hakimashou posted:

People with 100s or even 1000s of hours practicing playing this game and chivalry are going to be way better at it than you or other people who just got it or are really out of practice, since its a skill based game.

about this... I want to know how can he get away with not looking at people. I get being great at chambering and parrying etc, but sometimes he is just looking elsewhere while people are around him and, I think, attacking him... and still he manages to not get hit? If I turn my side to the enemy and try to reposition like he does, I get ganked in about 3 seconds... also he attacks people he can't even see, drat

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 13, 2019

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think the most fun I've been having with this game is a 2/1/1 halberd buiild with Friendly, skirting around the edges of huge melees and fishing for kills with stabs and overhand strikes. The halberd is surprisingly good 1-on-1 as well, people just don't seem to realize how large the hitbox of it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TorakFade posted:

about this... I want to know how can he get away with not looking at people. I get being great at chambering and parrying etc, but sometimes he is just looking elsewhere while people are around him and, I think, attacking him... and still he manages to not get hit? If I turn my side to the enemy and try to reposition like he does, I get ganked in about 3 seconds... also he attacks people he can't even see, drat

People get very predictable when they've got you outnumbered to the point that even I can 1vX and come out with some measure of success, though exceedingly rarely as much as Trix or Hadeus shows. Moving through or around a group guarantees that everyone you moved away from is going to rush in with a swing for that easy kill, meaning you can buy yourself at least one swing of time against most groups by just placing a friendly (enemy) between you and them.

Also Trix isn't human.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know he's Australian but that seems a little harsh, dude. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean if you think about it what is a human?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

My friend made an Archer assassin with throwing knives and appropriate traits it's quite the thing to behold

I wonder what's the minimum amount of team coloring you can pull off while still reasonably covering yourself (that is, not just stripping to the worker shorts).

Glenn Quebec posted:

Are you talking about the crouch guys who think it's slick to crouch then attack as they stand? Just overhead attack them

I do this while brawling and shout either SHORYUKEN or TOASTY when I connect, depending on mood

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

When I think of "skill ceiling" this is the kind of gameplay that comes to mind, not the crazy contortionist windmills.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Orv posted:

The dudes swinging their swords/mauls/war axe while moving in figure eights and just hewing through two and three people at a time. They're not fun to fight even if you know how and it looks ridiculous.

I've seen guys like this who run away then insta-180 and lop off 1-3 heads with the executioners sword, racking up 50+ kills a game and they're infuriating. I know you can just not be baited into charging them, but their swing speed is ridiculous and they've eyes on the back of their heads.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 13, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The contortionist windmills are just old chivalry players trying to do the same thing in this game even though it offers little advantage here. They're winning because of the other good-at-videogames stuff they carried over from chiv IMO.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
You know a guy has played chiv a ton when he starts sniffing the ground to hide his cleaver's diagonal slash. At that point I just start praying.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Sword Barbie

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I think my main problem right now is not getting attack angles and parrying "flow" yet. I never manage anything useful in attack angles from mouse movement (am I dragging? Am I not? I have no idea) and whenever I parry I don't get the timing down for riposting or whatever so I'm incredibly predictable. Once someone forces me into parrying, I never get out of the defense again. Any tips? What stuff should I practice here?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ripostes have an extremely narrow window, you basically have to input the parry and the riposte at the same time, which threw me off for a long time.

Dragging I'm kind of in the same boat, I'm not entirely sure when it works or not other than obviously someone fails to stop it.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Trying out the bot chamber practice, is there a way to get bots to do feints and whatnot?

E: Also for chambering is it just a left side right side or do you have to also mirror overhand/underhands?

That Gobbo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 13, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nordick posted:

Sword Barbie

wish there was a more "breastplate" looking t2 armor, even a tiny one like the padded t3 one, but the metal scale rules in its own way

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 13, 2019

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol I'm not bad at this game and played it a lot. I've really never seen this wild spectral arms stuff

I assume at this point he's talking about getting owned by morphs or something lol. "This game has a limited lifespan because eventually people will get better than me and thus losing will not be fun and htere's nothing I can do but quit."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is it just me or does this game seem way easier in 3rd person? Being able to see your actual animations and the real physical reach of the sword has prevented a lot of "why the gently caress did my blade not reach" stuff that having no true 3D in first person does for melee combat.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Borsche69 posted:

I assume at this point he's talking about getting owned by morphs or something lol. "This game has a limited lifespan because eventually people will get better than me and thus losing will not be fun and htere's nothing I can do but quit."

*Scrolls down but then quickly scrolls up and changes his attacks. *

Spectral magic bullshit dead game

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Songbearer posted:

Is it just me or does this game seem way easier in 3rd person? Being able to see your actual animations and the real physical reach of the sword has prevented a lot of "why the gently caress did my blade not reach" stuff that having no true 3D in first person does for melee combat.

It definitely helps for stabs, side-swings are fine in first person but stabs and sometimes overheads/underhands can be drat near invisible without the parallax that the third person camera's offset provides.

I bet this game would be dope as all getout in 3D.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I cannot play in third person to the life of me. I think it helps my brain register the audio more accurately when I'm in first person. Ever since they increased the volume of stuff like footsteps I don't really get snuck up on that often anymore.

Until some maul dude takes cat and loving blows my head up lol but whatt'ya gonna do

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Songbearer posted:

Third person makes it easier to see where your swings are going and judge range etc but personally I can't block for poo poo with it active. I end up parrying way off to the side from where a swing is actually hitting me. First person makes it easier to face the direction the swing is coming from when you're parrying.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TorakFade posted:

It certainly feels that way sometimes.

But really,

In chivalry fighting off your shoulder instead of in front of you was a viable thing

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I've noticed a bug since last night where every time I try to buy a piece of equipment, I get a spinning loading wheel forever :( It buys the item and it works after restarting, but this happens buying something every single time now. I'm verifying files on steam now in the hopes that fixes it.

edit: no

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 14, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just tried BR for the first time, kicked major rear end, got to the last 5 or so people and then the screen started going black and then the match just ended for some reason. WTF?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Midgetskydiver posted:

Just tried BR for the first time, kicked major rear end, got to the last 5 or so people and then the screen started going black and then the match just ended for some reason. WTF?

There's a purple wall of death that slowly moves in from the edges of the map, in order to shrink the play area as the number of players left decreases. I expected it to do damage over time or something but instead the screen goes all dark and then it seemlingly instantly kills you (or at least it did the one time I walked into it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hakimashou posted:

In chivalry fighting off your shoulder instead of in front of you was a viable thing

Plenty of the longer weapons in this game have horizontal arcs that start and end off the screen, unless you're in third person or have the FOV jacked way up into fisheye range. I'm not a great player by any means but I've pulled a few samurai :c00l: kills by starting a swing just as someone goes offscreen and popping them out of sight.

Telltolin posted:

I've noticed a bug since last night where every time I try to buy a piece of equipment, I get a spinning loading wheel forever :( It buys the item and it works after restarting, but this happens buying something every single time now. I'm verifying files on steam now in the hopes that fixes it.

edit: no

I've seen similar reports in the official forums, along with buying equipment and having it remain locked while it takes your gold. I'd refrain from buying new gear for now.