Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's your opinion on Azure Sentinel, Lain?

I’m about to evaluate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm quite literally excited for your take on this.

We're also examining Logarythm, which has some really cool features like Incident quick actions and playbooks.

Sentinel also has playbooks, and quick or auto actions based on alerting.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

We're also examining Logarythm, which has some really cool features like Incident quick actions and playbooks.

Sentinel also has playbooks, and quick or auto actions based on alerting.

Stay the gently caress away from LogRhythm.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Welp, I can't think of a more impactful anti-endorsement than that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

Welp, I can't think of a more impactful anti-endorsement than that.

No poo poo.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

Look at all of that hot garbage.

One day when I am not writing a tonne of documentation on said hot garbage.

Is the Y axis short for "Ability to Remote Code Execute"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

geonetix posted:

Is the Y axis short for "Ability to Remote Code Execute"?

I think they prefer the term “cross-organization administration capabilities”.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For something to do on a saturday or sunday if you have nothing else to do, you can always watch this talk by Matt King and Paul McMillan on "Securing Bare Metal Hardware at Scale":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEVVRkd-wPM
It goes into some of the ways we can try to guarentee that the runtime and attestation of firmware, at least in datacenters - and more importantly, the fact that if more of the vendors customers want it, there's a bigger chance we can actually have it.

It also contains a pretty great image that can be used as an avatar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

:stare: I don't know if that will be up to me, but please give me some talking points?

We currently have Symantec MSS, which is garbage. We have Splunk, but we don't have anyone capable of building out a working Security dashboard.

I mean, I use ELK a lot without issue...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lain Iwakura posted:

Everyone knows the rhythm method is unreliable.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Walking in rhythm attracts the worms.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: I don't know if that will be up to me, but please give me some talking points?

We currently have Symantec MSS, which is garbage. We have Splunk, but we don't have anyone capable of building out a working Security dashboard.

Lack of available extractions and availability of apps, their API was trash for the longest time and is still their biggest weakness, and it's really poor at scaling. Splunk's problem is that it requires ES and is a complete crapshoot when it comes to licensing these days, but at least it scales and has a variety of half-decent apps available.

Honestly I just have such a firm opinion on LogRhythm having had to develop for it and told my boss I'd sooner quit than deal with it when it came up as a joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

Lack of available extractions and availability of apps, their API was trash for the longest time and is still their biggest weakness, and it's really poor at scaling. Splunk's problem is that it requires ES and is a complete crapshoot when it comes to licensing these days, but at least it scales and has a variety of half-decent apps available.

Honestly I just have such a firm opinion on LogRhythm having had to develop for it and told my boss I'd sooner quit than deal with it when it came up as a joke.

The Security suite they showcased is fantastic looking, I hope its not just a farce. Most of the other engineers on my team are already sold, and we're bringing on a Managed Services team to help build/configure it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CommieGIR posted:

The Security suite they showcased is fantastic looking, I hope its not just a farce. Most of the other engineers on my team are already sold, and we're bringing on a Managed Services team to help build/configure it.

That's because you saw the showcase. it looks like magical christmas-land because they need to.

my personal theory is that if the presenters can talk even a little bit of shop of how the product would fit without handing me a phamplet, then its worth looking at.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

I've been burnt many times in my career over fancy demos only to be disappointed. The reason why log collection has gone so well at my company is because I used to sell the product we use when I worked as a consultant but otherwise it would have been dead in the water. Unless you got someone on your team who is well-versed in this sort of stuff, you're not going to get the fancy setup that the sales engineers will attempt to convince you'll get.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

I've been burnt many times in my career over fancy demos only to be disappointed. The reason why log collection has gone so well at my company is because I used to sell the product we use when I worked as a consultant but otherwise it would have been dead in the water. Unless you got someone on your team who is well-versed in this sort of stuff, you're not going to get the fancy setup that the sales engineers will attempt to convince you'll get.

Yeah, I wish I had more to go off of to sway the other engineers away from Logrythm, then :(

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CommieGIR posted:

Splunk wouldn't play ball with us on licensing so we're moving to Humio which saves us a ton on licensing and allows us to take on staff to do the dashboard build out. Shoot me a PM if you want any info, your existing Splunk hardware probably won't get repurposed well due to the way to works under the hood.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
Btw everyone complaining about Splunk, are you talking about the rea,l here's the server it lives on, Splunk or the Cloooouuuud version of Splunk which has those annoying limits on upload and download?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

EVIL Gibson posted:

Btw everyone complaining about Splunk, are you talking about the rea,l here's the server it lives on, Splunk or the Cloooouuuud version of Splunk which has those annoying limits on upload and download?

with our current log generation, on-prem splunk would be licensed in the 7 figure range

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

with our current log generation, on-prem splunk would be licensed in the 7 figure range

So like, double digit gigs per day? :homebrew:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

On-prem licensing costs are already terrible, cloud was a complete non-starter. We're trying to ingest upwards of 2TB/day

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Docjowles posted:

So like, double digit gigs per day? :homebrew:

lol, gigs.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Judge Schnoopy posted:

that loving sucks. it used to be on prem was cheaper than cloud and it was obvious which one was better especially with the daily caps on cloud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are people on those license levels just startups burning through cash on Splunk licenses because they don't know any better, or is there a valid reason to go down that route vs. bringing on some devs to dedicate their time to your logging platform?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Thanks Ants posted:

Are people on those license levels just startups burning through cash on Splunk licenses because they don't know any better, or is there a valid reason to go down that route vs. bringing on some devs to dedicate their time to your logging platform?

probably because they have enough traffic spread out across a wide infrastructure (like among several countries) that trying to fit them together any other way for investigation would be days of time instead of going to one place and searching logs of all locations at once.

if its a multinational or large enough national company you are probably paying way more on other systems like salesforce.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Security folks want all the data. If you're over 10,000 heads, that's probably about 2TB+ data per day, and millions of dollars on the Splunk licenses.

Now the fun one is Splunk in Private Cloud. 700k+ in cloud resources a year plus 1+ mil in Splunk licence costs, and you've got an expensive rear end log system that hardly gets used.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Mustache Ride posted:

Security folks want all the data. If you're over 10,000 heads, that's probably about 2TB+ data per day, and millions of dollars on the Splunk licenses.

Now the fun one is Splunk in Private Cloud. 700k+ in cloud resources a year plus 1+ mil in Splunk licence costs, and you've got an expensive rear end log system that hardly gets used.

We're doing about 8,000 endpoints, a few thousand servers, and around 12,000 users and we're just doing under 500 GB/day. We also went through a migration two-years ago where we dropped our Splunk Cloud for on-premise and that was because Cloud was a complete pile of poo poo to deal with. I want to get into a rant about Splunk licensing but I am not ready to talk about the bullshit we're dealing with right now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What’s a good on-site password manager (preferably capable of storing extra information related to the accounts) that allows multiple log-in accounts? Access logging would be a nice feature too.

My company stores admin account information for servers that contain extremely valuable client data on Sharepoint. I’m not sure whether that is better or worse than it sounds to me, but it doesn’t sound good. That’s potentially millions in fines, even more from legal fees and damages from lawsuits and a destroyed reputation if someone gets on the Sharepoint and takes the credentials.

Granted you need an account that can access the servers hosting the VMs, but still.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You've probably already figured this out, but don't store the credentials you need to restore and gain emergency access to your password management system solely within that password management system.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

keepass will do all of that except the logging part

Otherwise you're looking at deploying something like Secret Server.

Secret Server itself seems to have fallen out of favor, but I'm not familiar with any of it's alternatives for an on prem password vault.

We use 1pass for teams at my work.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What’s a good on-site password manager (preferably capable of storing extra information related to the accounts) that allows multiple log-in accounts? Access logging would be a nice feature too.

My company stores admin account information for servers that contain extremely valuable client data on Sharepoint. I’m not sure whether that is better or worse than it sounds to me, but it doesn’t sound good. That’s potentially millions in fines, even more from legal fees and damages from lawsuits and a destroyed reputation if someone gets on the Sharepoint and takes the credentials.

Granted you need an account that can access the servers hosting the VMs, but still.

We use PMP at my company. From my perspective as a user (I'm a server admin who needs to look up a shared credential now and then), it works great, but I never see the back end so I have no idea if it's a pain in the rear end or not. But I don't recall ever hearing the team that manages it complain about it, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

keepass will do all of that except the logging part

Otherwise you're looking at deploying something like Secret Server.

Secret Server itself seems to have fallen out of favor, but I'm not familiar with any of it's alternatives for an on prem password vault.

We use 1pass for teams at my work.

Thanks. I thought keepass could only have one password for the DB, and that would invariably mean using one simple obvious password, which is a poo poo solution. They actually already have keepass set up for other stuff, so I might actually be able to sell them on that.

Odds are nothing actually comes of this, even if I point out that it could do huge amounts of damage to the company to not protect client data better than a goddamn Sharepoint page. But the company has a few new directors and a new-ish VP so it's worth a shot. At the least it's a small amount of effort to propose and might help my director think of me as having potential for something other than crap-tier support.

Got to build up that reputation so I have some leeway when I burn out and start slacking off and doing the absolute minimum :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/1128066136447143938

What's Upp?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We use CyberArk and have little complaints. It will even record RDP and SSH sessions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I thought keepass could only have one password for the DB, and that would invariably mean using one simple obvious password, which is a poo poo solution. They actually already have keepass set up for other stuff, so I might actually be able to sell them on that.

Sorry, you are right, a keepass database can only have a single key.

Before we switched to 1pass we had a long randomly generated key that we all stored in our personal keepass databases that was used as the key for the shared database.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

We use CyberArk and have little complaints. It will even record RDP and SSH sessions.

CyberArk is what we are using as well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

azure key/secret tools are turning out to be sexy as hell for me :chef:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

azure key/secret tools are turning out to be sexy as hell for me :chef:

Yes, this.

Azure Key Vault integrating with Azure Devops Pipelines is super easy and super nice.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

If you don't have Azure DevOps, but still want something try Hashi's Vault

Pretty good logging, fully API based key vault, and can even work as a PKI service.

And Free if you don't need replication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Vault is very good and it's open source. Just make sure you have good backups and reliable storage (or put it in the cloud).