Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Fun fact: Gorbachev is still loving alive.

another fun fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Seems like a cool dude

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despera posted:

Seems like a cool dude

From hit game Stalin vs Martians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mOFWV0x6ek

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Legaslov and Scherbina still cant beat Fomin and Bryukhov for laughs

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
gently caress

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Communists knew they were missing out on pizza after 7 and a half decades. The USSR was never going to last forever.

Stuff like western music and pizza and blue jeans and a laundry list of other minor amenities we take for granted played a big part in the fall of that empire.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Still having a panic attack watching this... :sweatdrop:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
This is a nightmare. Jesus Christ.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
All is well. Everything fine. Continue work.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
*Curb your enthusiasm theme plays*

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Well theres your non theoretical worse case scenario

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Imagine having to tell the leader of your country that you guys are mega ultra turbo hosed to a level not seen before in mankind's history.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

400 Rubles wow big spenders.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Imagine having to tell the leader of your country that you guys are mega ultra turbo hosed to a level not seen before in mankind's history.

My midlife crisis: should I buy a new truck?

These guys midlife crisis: I'm about to murder 100,000,000 people.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Skarsgard's acting his rear end off here.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Jesus at least give them Heros of the Soviet Union

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Despera posted:

Jesus at least give them Heros of the Soviet Union

Don't worry, some iodine will fix them right up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it spoilers to post the fate of these men?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So like there are statues of these dudes right

Because these three dudes are beyond heroes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol what’s even the point of carrying around Geiger counters here? You know you’re basically standing on the surface of the sun, there’s nothing you need to read. Probably just thematic license.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is literally a loving horror series.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This is a hell of a show

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Well that was some quality television

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

That sound is gonna haunt me in my sleep tonight.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Dear HBO please greenlight more impeccably acted and directed miniseries on the most brutally horrific incidents in human history thanks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

That sound is gonna haunt me in my sleep tonight.

I’ve never heard a Geiger counter freak out like that before, my heart stopped

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Loved the "show, don’t tell" with the announcement during the evacuation. Other HBO shows could take advantage of this device!

Also holy poo poo this show is incredible and I will be sad when it’s finished.

Edit: The lady scientist that predicted a water-explosion in the 2-4 megaton range had to have known she was wrong. Did she lie and up the stakes so that the party members would take her more seriously?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 14, 2019

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone post a nice Nuclear Energy 101 video for us dumbasses who don’t understand how these magic things called “atoms” make the electricity that makes my computer turn on?

Like seriously I have no goddamn idea what a control rod does except that it’s apparently really important. Like what is nuclear material in a reactor?

Imagine a big cube (of graphite) with a bunch of tubes running through it like a block of swiss cheese. Some of these tubes have radioactive material, which give off heat as they radiate, and when their radiation hits the other radioactive rods those rods give off even more radiation. This is the "chain reaction" of a nuclear reactor. When it happens very fast, you have a bomb. When it happens very slowly and in a controlled fashion, it just gives off a lot of heat, which is good for boiling water to run a turbine generator like any other power plant.

This nuclear chain reaction is controlled by having a bunch of control rods that absorb radiation in the graphite block, and usually they are on a lift that pulls them into or out of the cube to speed up or slow down the nuclear reactor. There's usually a lot more control rods in the cube than there are rods of radioactive material. There's also a bunch of water flowing through the cube that picks up excess heat and carries it away. The flaw with Chernobyl's reactor was that if that water got too hot, the void of space from the steam caused the reactor to radiate more and get even hotter, which caused more steam, which caused a run away reaction. This combined with the test and ignoring other safety features is what caused the accident, when everything got too hot and caused (either a steam explosion or a small fission explosion, like a faulty atomic bomb; we aren't sure which)

Modifications where made to other RBMK reactors throughout the USSR to fix this after Chernobyl's disaster.

If you want a slightly more visual idea of what went wrong, I found a cool simulation: http://www.articlesbyaphysicist.com/ch2.html

Scroll down to the image and type in and enter "rod 0", "target 700", "cool off", then wait a minute and type "eccs off". Then just type "rod 1" to reinsert the control rods if you see the power spike too much. :)

Minera fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 14, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Minrad posted:

Imagine a big cube (of graphite) with a bunch of tubes running through it like a block of swiss cheese. Some of these tubes have radioactive material, which give off heat as they radiate, and when their radiation hits the other radioactive rods those rods give off even more radiation. This is the "chain reaction" of a nuclear reactor. When it happens very fast, you have a bomb. When it happens very slowly and in a controlled fashion, it just gives off a lot of heat, which is good for boiling water to run a turbine generator like any other power plant.

This nuclear chain reaction is controlled by having a bunch of control rods that absorb radiation in the graphite block, and usually they are on a lift that pulls them into or out of the cube to speed up or slow down the nuclear reactor. There's usually a lot more control rods in the cube than there are rods of radioactive material. There's also a bunch of water flowing through the cube that picks up excess heat and carries it away. The flaw with Chernobyl's reactor was that if that water got too hot, the void of space from the steam caused the reactor to radiate more and get even hotter, which caused more steam, which caused a run away reaction. This combined with the test and ignoring other safety features is what caused the accident, when everything got too hot and caused (either a steam explosion or a small fission explosion, like a faulty atomic bomb; we aren't sure which)

Modifications where made to other RBMK reactors throughout the USSR to fix this after Chernobyl's disaster.

Are the rods the radioactive material itself or is it the graphite? Where is the radiation coming from?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are the rods the radioactive material itself or is it the graphite? Where is the radiation coming from?

There's two types of rods; the radioactive material, usually uranium or plutonium, and control rods, radiation absorbing material. Graphite is just carbon, like what you'd find in your pencil. It serves the purpose of slowing down the speed of the radiation so that it can more easily be controlled.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes will I finally unlock the mystery of the atom for myself? Because I’ve had that on a deep reading backlog for many years.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So basically the graphite absorbed an absurd amount of radiation and basically became literal death rocks

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’ve never heard a Geiger counter freak out like that before, my heart stopped

:stonklol:

Uh. That's horrifying.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Holy gently caress what an ending

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I read The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes will I finally unlock the mystery of the atom for myself? Because I’ve had that on a deep reading backlog for many years.

Probably! I spent like a week reading a ton of articles about radiation and nuclear bombs/reactors a few months ago to cap off a World War 2 history kick I went on, and I felt a lot of it started to make sense for me afterwards. :v:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

If anyone wants an :unsmith: story about the three divers, I've spoiled the correction section from an online article.

CORRECTION: This Trumpet article below was based on a 2011 report from The Scotsman, which says the three men died shortly after their foray into the radioactive waters at Chernobyl. However, since this Trumpet article was written, it has come to our attention that the three men did not die as a result of entering the waters, but survived the ordeal. In April of 2018, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko presented state awards to Alexey Ananenko and Valery Bespalov for their bravery, and posthumously to Boris Baranov (who had died in 2005). The fact that the three survived does not detract from the heroism they displayed back in 1986. The Trumpet regrets the error.

The pump turner guys from the first episode, Akimov and Toptunov did die horribly like I said earlier in the thread, however. One article said (don't read if you don't want to read gross radiation stuff) 'Later, in hospital, Akimov tried to stand up and the skin fell off his leg like a sock.'

But Goddamn, those three guys volunteering to go in there, even after the officials were like 'yeah, you got us, everything's hosed but a lot of people are gonna die if somebody doesn't go.' That is some fuckin fortitude.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 14, 2019

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

So basically the graphite absorbed an absurd amount of radiation and basically became literal death rocks

Correct. Normally the whole reactor cube is encased behind a ton of shielding, and there's walls around the reactor room packed with sand, etc to keep everything contained and safe for humans to be near. Obviously all of that got blown apart when the core exploded.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Show continues its horror-movie vibe in the last sequence: the monster was in the room with them...
:stare:

This is very my poo poo. I stan Jared Harris so hard.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I was gonna watch the latest Gentleman Jack but now im like all gray and whats the point :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

If anyone wants an :unsmith: story about the three divers, I've spoiled the correction section from an online article.

CORRECTION: This Trumpet article below was based on a 2011 report from The Scotsman, which says the three men died shortly after their foray into the radioactive waters at Chernobyl. However, since this Trumpet article was written, it has come to our attention that the three men did not die as a result of entering the waters, but survived the ordeal. In April of 2018, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko presented state awards to Alexey Ananenko and Valery Bespalov for their bravery, and posthumously to Boris Baranov (who had died in 2005). The fact that the three survived does not detract from the heroism they displayed back in 1986. The Trumpet regrets the error.

The pump turner guys from the first episode, Akimov and Toptunov did die horribly like I said earlier in the thread, however.

It’s crazy how so much about Chernobyl is still a mystery because of Soviet attempts to bury as much as possible. Like how well never accurately know how many people really died.