Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Percelus posted:

are you really this uninformed? journalists that don't tow the line are absolutely blacklisted, that's why chris hedges hasn't found a gig in mainstream media since he left the nyt during the lead up to iraq. they reprimanded him for writing a piece critical of the case for war and told him to knock it off

phil donahue was also let go from msnbc during the build up for war according to an internal memo because he opposed it

no billionaires don't actually dictate the day to day operations of nyt or wapo but the people who land high paying jobs there quickly learn to self-censor if they want to keep them

That's not the narrative I'm seeing on Chris Hedges wiki, you got an article or something that discusses what you're describing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That's not the narrative I'm seeing on Chris Hedges wiki, you got an article or something that discusses what you're describing?

it was for a speech he gave not an article i got that part wrong but here you can listen to him talk about how the whole ordeal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9kxcnAEiVQ

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Sounds like Mr.Hedges chose to continue to speak out against the war after he very publicly upset quite a lot of people at a college graduation ceremony? I'm looking through his older NYT articles and many of them seem to question the narrative of the war - it only appears that after he literally set a crowd to weeping that the NYT called him in and said he had to change his manner of reporting.

He says as much on that video.

I don't think that what happened to him is appropriate necessarily, but having a very visible and public PR disaster centering around your opposition to a war does sound like it might bring into question your employer's impartiality in how that conflict is covered. But for that graduation speech it doesn't seem like he would have been reprimanded by the NYT.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 13, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sounds like Mr.Hedges chose to continue to speak out against the war after he very publicly upset quite a lot of people at a college graduation ceremony? I'm looking through his older NYT articles and many of them seem to question the narrative of the war - it only appears that after he literally set a crowd to weeping that the NYT called him in and said he had to change his manner of reporting.

He says as much on that video.

I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing, if you're reporting horrific poo poo in a way that elicits horror.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, that's not necessarily a bad thing, if you're reporting horrific poo poo in a way that elicits horror.

I don't disagree, but the NYT editors are free to edit the paper as they choose. Being known as an individual who values the opportunity to have their voice on a certain topic heard over the demands of their editors seems like a pretty legitimate reason they might be fired and not hired back into a newsroom.

The Donahue thing is pretty blatantly worse. The claim that I'm somehow in the dark because I wasn't aware of these two instances seems kind of disingenuous to me, and I don't think they collectively suggest a widespread policy of blackballing individuals with dissenting opinions.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 13, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

yes, the NYT editors are free to edit the paper in the way the State Department tells them to, that was never in question

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

dirty lousy tramp posted:

yes, the NYT editors are free to edit the paper in the way the State Department tells them to, that was never in question

Do you ever post anything of substance or are you satisfied with being white noise?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The Donahue thing is pretty blatantly worse. The claim that I'm somehow in the dark because I wasn't aware of these two instances seems kind of disingenuous to me, and I don't think they collectively suggest a widespread policy of blackballing individuals with dissenting opinions.

I dunno man, taking a prominent journalist out back and firing him because of his opinions is something you would melt down over if it was an unfriendly regime doing it, but the NYT should be allowed to do it because __________________________________

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I dunno man, taking a prominent journalist out back and firing him because of his opinions is something you would melt down over if it was an unfriendly regime doing it, but the NYT should be allowed to do it because __________________________________

That's not what happened though? He chose to quit rather than accept a restriction of his critique of the war that resulted when he very publicly upset an entire crowd of people at a college graduation? It's not like he wrote a piece and was canned.

Did you actually read any of this stuff?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 13, 2019

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That's not what happened though? He chose to quit rather than accept a restriction of his critique of the war that resulted when he very publicly upset an entire crowd of people at a college graduation? It's not like he wrote a piece and was canned.

Sounds like the NYT is a propagandistic rag

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

brugroffil posted:

Sounds like the NYT is a propagandistic rag

lol can you say that in spanish for me?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Do you ever post anything of substance or are you satisfied with being white noise?

the substance is there, but I'm not surprised you can't see it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol can you say that in spanish for me?

I'm not sure "we forgot about Guaidó calling for US invasion literally a day ago" is quite the dunk on me for listing Guaidó's terrible ideas you think it is

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

brugroffil posted:

I'm not sure "we forgot about Guaidó calling for US invasion literally a day ago" is quite the dunk on me for listing Guaidó's terrible ideas you think it is

I'm sure it was just a stylistic decision to list two things in the foreign language tweet and one thing from an earlier news article as your only commentary to the tweet itself.

dirty lousy tramp posted:

the substance is there, but I'm not surprised you can't see it

The substance is that you are more interested in pithy one liners than having a discussion, and it's the definition of white noise.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The substance is that you are more interested in pithy one liners than having a discussion, and it's the definition of white noise.

what discussion is possible with someone as consistently wrong as you?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Lol at pretending Hedges was giving some gory traumatizing speech and not a boring milquetoast denunciation of war, and that the kids were weeping and not hooting and hollering "go back to France" and trying to climb onto the stage to attack him.
Imagine making excuses for that kind of cultural psychosis.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm sure it was just a stylistic decision to list two things in the foreign language tweet and one thing from an earlier news article as your only commentary to the tweet itself.

yeah it was a list of lovely things Guaido is calling for from foreign countries, happening literally in back-to-back days, with the calls for US invasion being previously posted itt? either way what sort of sick burn is that supposed to be, given Guaido has called for both US invasion and EU intervention?

idk this just seems like a really weird deflection from some really weak attempts to defend corporate media as stalwarts of truth and justice and objectivity!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So Hedges “chose to quit rather than accept a restriction of his critique of the war,” but you don’t think this is an example of censorship at work in the private media?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Kingfish posted:

So Hedges “chose to quit rather than accept a restriction of his critique of the war,” but you don’t think this is an example of censorship at work in the private media?

It is but I don't think it is really indicative of an industry wide attempt to squelch alternate viewpoints. Mr. Hedges had a very public and embarrassing public reaction to his choice to express his views at a college graduation. I don't know much about the university but that doesn't really strike me as the time or the place, but he chose to make the day about his opposition to the war and he made use of the platform he had available to him.

It sounds like he chose his own morals and ethics and decided that expressing them was more important than adhering to the editorial decisions of the paper where he worked. Instead of seeking employment somewhere else where he might be able to express those opinions with the blessing of an editorial board he raised them publicly, and in doing so raised his political profile at a time when the USA was in the midst of going loving crazy. His subsequent reprimand was heavy handed and lovely but understandable given the industry in which he worked and the topic on which he reported.

I even agree with his views for the most part, but if this is the leading example of how the MSM blacklists journalists for having opposing viewpoints I'm just not seeing it.

Edit: For the record I think American MSM sucks because people are lazy and apathetic and the media is giving them what they want. It's not some concerted effort at conspiracy, American society is so backwards they just don't even want to examine the problems of the day.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 13, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I even agree with his views for the most part, but if this is the leading example of how the MSM blacklists journalists for having opposing viewpoints I'm just not seeing it.

Where has he worked since?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jose posted:

Where has he worked since?

Would you hire a journalist who had made it clear that they value communicating their own unedited opinions over the reputation of your paper?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Every post you write builds the case against your own thesis. Like you just described the same thing that I said previously - that the best way to keep your media on the company line is to employ the people who don't have to toe it because they already believe it.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I don't disagree, but the NYT editors are free to edit the paper as they choose. Being known as an individual who values the opportunity to have their voice on a certain topic heard over the demands of their editors seems like a pretty legitimate reason they might be fired and not hired back into a newsroom.

Are you a libertarian? Authoritarianism and manipulation of the public are perfectly acceptable when they're done by private entities (even if it's done to advance the interests of the state) but an intolerable injustice when done directly by the state, is what I'm hearing from you. Also the fact that counter intervention narratives are constantly avoided and pro intervention ones repeated ad nauseam until it gets into people's heads that intervention HAS to happen is something you should take into account as evidence, along with individual instances of blackballing. Also people have recommended some books on this topic, like Manufacturing Consent and Inventing Reality, maybe look into those. And kicking out people critical of war is not a choice of style, it's a choice of ideas that you're going to publish. They may have the right to only promote war if they want, but then the logical thing to do when reading anything from them is that should always take into account that they are very very likely to twist the truth or outright lie in cases that could lead to war, like this one

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit:For the record I think American MSM sucks because people are lazy and apathetic and the media is giving them what they want. It's not some concerted effort at conspiracy, American society is so backwards they just don't even want to examine the problems of the day.

The argument isn’t that there is a deep-state conspiracy where spooks tell newspaper owners what they can publish. Instead, media in Democratic capitalism is manipulated in a way that seems to obvious to discuss, namely, by the pursuit of capital.

https://youtu.be/AnrBQEAM3rE

E: goddamn phone posting makes it too hard to link videos properly. Please watch Manufacturing Consent. Even if it’s just to properly refute the propaganda model.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 14, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit: For the record I think American MSM sucks because people are lazy and apathetic and the media is giving them what they want. It's not some concerted effort at conspiracy, American society is so backwards they just don't even want to examine the problems of the day.

It's not a "conspiracy" it's just chasing ratings aka profit. Not everything has to happen in a smoke filled room with the Illuminati in it, but that is a convenient way of framing all of the people who think you're wrong as "dumb and so goddamn crazy" because they clearly believe in conspiracy theories like "the MSM is poo poo" which you also agree with.

Go take your time in kitty jail to listen to those two Citations Needed episodes I posted and loving educate yourself or prepare to continue to be proven wrong over and over when it comes to Venezuela, the media, or literally anything related to US imperialism.

I still can't believe anyone treats the MSM's characterization of Venezuela seriously after they bungled that whole truck molotov cocktail story months ago.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has the US ever come this close to couping and not couping?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So the cops gave notice they were going to raid the embassy, got set up to do it, but then apparently didn't.

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1128069567367077895

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1128097989933916165

https://twitter.com/AliMortell/status/1128104591436939264

Shaocaholica posted:

Bay of Pigs? The Albanian Subversion, I guess?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

The events prior to the run up to the invasion of Panama are somewhat reminiscent.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

rest assured i am currently pursuing my copy of shattered glass to maintain all standards of journalistic excellence*

you have been warned

i would have liked to have it be a jayson blair reference but there isn't a jayson blair movie on par with the hilarious hayden christensen one

hello if you would like to discuss the NYT and its handling of the buildup to the iraq war in 2003 and various other things about the media at large please direct the discussion to the media criticism thread

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Somehow I'm getting the impression no one here reads / watches Telesur on a regular basis.

Least of all the people willing to go to bat for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Guaido has to be worried that Bolton appears to be getting his war with Iran instead

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bay of Pigs? The Albanian Subversion, I guess?
Syria 56-57 is a better example of failed coup.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1128253626026053638

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

that drat china loving with our seige warfare :argh:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yet another example of chinese imperialism that tankies will ignore while criticizing the good(explosive) kind of humanitarian aid.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What's the ratio of chinese investment in VZ compared to the russians?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
so the dude was sworn in like 4 months ago where are the elections

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Themage posted:

so the dude was sworn in like 4 months ago where are the elections

he's asked the CNE repeatedly to hold them but for some reason they're refusing

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

huh I guess the guy who still controls the levers of power didn't actually abandon his office???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

brugroffil posted:

huh I guess the guy who still controls the levers of power didn't actually abandon his office???

But I thought the reason for having an interim president was that the actual president abandoned his office? :confused: