Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

bobfather posted:

Loved the "show, don’t tell" with the announcement during the evacuation. Other HBO shows could take advantage of this device!

Also holy poo poo this show is incredible and I will be sad when it’s finished.

Edit: The lady scientist that predicted a water-explosion in the 2-4 megaton range had to have known she was wrong. Did she lie and up the stakes so that the party members would take her more seriously?

Keep in mind there still three very hot reactors nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
I dug up the video on the chopper crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuNtgYtF4FI

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm kinda surprised Jared Harris's character didn't get shitcanned(killed?) for that explanation to the party. "I dropped tons of sand on it to put out the fire, and I thought it was safe to do but it wasn't and now it's going to cause an even bigger disaster."

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Despera posted:

Keep in mind there still three very hot reactors nearby

Fine, but you don’t get supercritical reactions from a fission reactor despite the failure mode. Also, a megaton is an absurd amount of explosive power. All explosions in WWII including the two atom bombs we used were like 3 megatons.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

OldTennisCourt posted:

So basically the graphite absorbed an absurd amount of radiation and basically became literal death rocks

Yep, the graphite chunks that got thrown out of the building were basically doom rocks while the graphite that remained in the core caught on fire after the second explosion pumping even more radiation into the atmosphere.

The story of how the West found out about the accident is really fascinating by itself. Chernobyl radiation was first detected at a nuclear plant in Sweden which promptly SCRAMed because they thought the radiation was from their own reactor. On closer inspection the radiation they were detecting contained elements that would not be expected from their own reactor which even led to some thought a nuclear weapon had gone off somewhere and they were catching the fallout. Other plants started detecting the radiation so the Swedes got together and busted out some wind maps and ultimately traced things back to the Ukraine. When Swedish diplomats confronted the USSR the response was, "lol wut?". It wasn't until Sweden threatened to go to the IAEA that the Soviets admitted there had been an "incident" at Chernobyl.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Well if they are looking for a man made soviet disaster for a sequel, nothing quite as horrifying as eating your children a la Holodomor

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Minrad posted:

Imagine a big cube (of graphite) with a bunch of tubes running through it like a block of swiss cheese. Some of these tubes have radioactive material, which give off heat as they radiate, and when their radiation hits the other radioactive rods those rods give off even more radiation. This is the "chain reaction" of a nuclear reactor. When it happens very fast, you have a bomb. When it happens very slowly and in a controlled fashion, it just gives off a lot of heat, which is good for boiling water to run a turbine generator like any other power plant.

This nuclear chain reaction is controlled by having a bunch of control rods that absorb radiation in the graphite block, and usually they are on a lift that pulls them into or out of the cube to speed up or slow down the nuclear reactor. There's usually a lot more control rods in the cube than there are rods of radioactive material. There's also a bunch of water flowing through the cube that picks up excess heat and carries it away. The flaw with Chernobyl's reactor was that if that water got too hot, the void of space from the steam caused the reactor to radiate more and get even hotter, which caused more steam, which caused a run away reaction. This combined with the test and ignoring other safety features is what caused the accident, when everything got too hot and caused (either a steam explosion or a small fission explosion, like a faulty atomic bomb; we aren't sure which)

Modifications where made to other RBMK reactors throughout the USSR to fix this after Chernobyl's disaster.

If you want a slightly more visual idea of what went wrong, I found a cool simulation: http://www.articlesbyaphysicist.com/ch2.html

Scroll down to the image and type in and enter "rod 0", "target 700", "cool off", then wait a minute and type "eccs off". Then just type "rod 1" to reinsert the control rods if you see the power spike too much. :)

oi

https://i.imgur.com/iaH0I15.gifv

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Comrade Dyatlov! Comrade Dyatlov!

(You can actually "beat" that simulator, by the way, by very slowly upping the reactor and cooling systems at a certain rate to burn off the excess xenon so the reactor can run clean again. It's loving hard, though, and not what they were trying to do that night regardless.)

Minera fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 14, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Remember how that 1st responder picked up that rock that had a groove in it and a few minutes is screaming in pain...that was graphite

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l3g3m8Vrgs

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What was the significance of the geyser of water the three dudes pointed at and ran from?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is literally a loving horror series.

I know, and I loving love it. So many incredible moments:

Like the explosion in episode 1, the helicopter unceremoniously falling out of the sky on the first goddamn drop was extremely effective. Mazin does an amazing job of dramatizing little things while also understating big things, which makes both really get under your skin.

The increasing horrified realization of the central committee when they're explaining how Ukraine and Belorussia will be permanently uninhabitable and the food supply of Eastern Europe poisoned forever if there's a full meltdown.

The colonel/captain volunteering to go take the measurement himself...balls of steel.

The doctor getting radiation burns on her hands from disrobing the firefighters.

Goddamn amazing show. See, HBO? We don't need tits and dragons!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

:catstare:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I didn't think this could get even more terrifying but I was very, very wrong. The lights going out and the geiger counter going apeshit is the stuff of nightmares.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What was the significance of the geyser of water the three dudes pointed at and ran from?

I believe the only ingress for water into that area is through more severely irradiated parts of the reactor building.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

LadyPictureShow posted:

If anyone wants an :unsmith: story about the three divers, I've spoiled the correction section from an online article.

CORRECTION: This Trumpet article below was based on a 2011 report from The Scotsman, which says the three men died shortly after their foray into the radioactive waters at Chernobyl. However, since this Trumpet article was written, it has come to our attention that the three men did not die as a result of entering the waters, but survived the ordeal. In April of 2018, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko presented state awards to Alexey Ananenko and Valery Bespalov for their bravery, and posthumously to Boris Baranov (who had died in 2005). The fact that the three survived does not detract from the heroism they displayed back in 1986. The Trumpet regrets the error.

Not trying to be a downer again, but we literally just watched 2 hours about how the state will totally lie like a rug to its citizens to minimize how huge a problem it is.

It's nice they gave a medal to 3 guys, but are they the same 3 guys who did that? :iiam: and it's not like there are a lot of their coworkers around!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

400 Rubles wow big spenders.

400 Soviet rubles in 1986....

....equalled 99 US dollars in 1986.

Biiiiiiiiiig spenders

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I love how watching the decontamination fluid dripping off the truck and onto the ground is just screaming “this all has to go somewhere. Everything has to go somewhere.”

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
My only complaint was not enough Fomin and Bryukhanov. Also no Dylatov

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IT BURNS posted:

Actually we do, but there is no reason we can’t have them and the invisible creeping horror of radiation.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Was all that sand lava what formed the infamous elephant foot?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Despera posted:

Well if they are looking for a man made soviet disaster for a sequel, nothing quite as horrifying as eating your children a la Holodomor

boy, if you thought watching people projectile vomiting blood and their skin falling off was harrowing. Ukraine just can never catch a break it seems :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jared Harris working hard to catch up with Sean Bean.

https://twitter.com/JaredHarris/status/1126806813964427264

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s crazy how so much about Chernobyl is still a mystery because of Soviet attempts to bury as much as possible. Like how well never accurately know how many people really died.

we know how many people died acutely, but when it comes to radiological or other toxic accidents you can only measure mortality on an epidemiological scale. like "statistically we can assume that 5-8% of this type of cancer seen in this group of people in this area are likely attributable to the incident". like, if we have a 70 year old man who smoked heavily to deal with the stress of being a chernobyl evacuee and survivor, and he gets lung cancer, is he a victim of the accident or not? it's not really a knowable number even with perfect information

clown shoes posted:

Was all that sand lava what formed the infamous elephant foot?

yeah, it's a mineral called corium and it is made of the various substances in a reactor all melted together in a meltdown. the specific composition varies based on what was in the reactor and how it melted down, the chernobyl corium has a lot of silica in it because since the chernobyl reactor did not have a containment vessel it was more easily exposed, and thus the soviets had to try to dump poo poo on the core to prevent a release which would have otherwise been prevented by keeping the reactor contained. so the chernobyl corium was able to pick up material from the surrounding reactor/building plus all the stuff being thrown into it like a glowing volcano

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"You've made lava. :geno: "

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

By the way, if they hadn’t drained those water tanks?

This is the radius of the explosion that would’ve occurred.

Much of Europe owes it’s current existence to those three men.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

IT BURNS posted:

So, you're saying the show still has tits-and-dragons growth potential.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Gonz posted:

By the way, if they hadn’t drained those water tanks?

This is the radius of the explosion that would’ve occurred.

Much of Europe owes it’s current existence to those three men.

Pretty sure that 2 - 4 megaton statement was exaggerated. Would have still been a devastating event either way though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The actual quote states 3-5 megatons. They toned it down for the show. Anyone here know if corium hitting water could really create a steam explosion rated in the megatons? All the quotes from the actual people are all very loose with exactly how it would happen.

Anne Whateley posted:

Not trying to be a downer again, but we literally just watched 2 hours about how the state will totally lie like a rug to its citizens to minimize how huge a problem it is.

It's nice they gave a medal to 3 guys, but are they the same 3 guys who did that? :iiam: and it's not like there are a lot of their coworkers around!

There’s something not right about this. For years everyone reported these guys as dead. Then a book comes out and says the story was overblown and they were fine and one still works in the nuclear industry. And none of them want to talk about it. Oh and they’re healthy apart from the guy that died of a heart attack. That water would have water from the feed pipes in it. The feed water giving off 5000 roentgens. I’d love for them to have survived but... how? Unless that water was like 90% from the fire hoses or something.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 14, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

The actual quote states 3-5 megatons. They toned it down for the show. Anyone here know if corium hitting water could really create a steam explosion rated in the megatons? All the quotes from the actual people re all very loose with exactly how it would happen.

I dont think its so much the "explosion" as it is the amount of radiotactive material being thrown into the atmosphere. Its three whole, and a half, of reactor cores being scattered around the greater part of the continent.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

Hell yeah, Fringe represent!

That ending tho, holy gently caress :stare:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

I dont think its so much the "explosion" as it is the amount of radiotactive material being thrown into the atmosphere. Its three whole, and a half, of reactor cores being scattered around the greater part of the continent.

Ah I get it. I was thinking in terms of boom instead of radiation. Thanks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Megaton specifically means a million tons of tnt

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

How is it that I knew that this was that loving Pizza Hut commercial?

Also, I don't know what's more terrifying, the God-tier environmental disaster that was Chernobyl or Soviet bureaucracy.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone post a nice Nuclear Energy 101 video for us dumbasses who don’t understand how these magic things called “atoms” make the electricity that makes my computer turn on?

Like seriously I have no goddamn idea what a control rod does except that it’s apparently really important. Like what is nuclear material in a reactor?

https://youtu.be/-Nc0wCrkk00

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Despera posted:

quote:

The word Holodomor literally translated from Ukrainian means "death by hunger", or "killing by hunger, killing by starvation".[28] Sometimes the expression is translated into English as "murder by hunger or starvation".[29] Holodomor is a compound of the Ukrainian words holod meaning "hunger" and mor meaning "plague". The expression moryty holodom means "to inflict death by hunger". The Ukrainian verb moryty (морити) means "to poison somebody, drive to exhaustion or to torment somebody". The perfective form of the verb moryty is zamoryty – "kill or drive to death by hunger, exhausting work".

quote:

A U.N. joint statement signed by 25 countries in 2003 declared that 7–10 million perished.[16] Research has since narrowed the estimates to between 3.3[17] and 7.5[18] million.

:stare:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
This show is stressful to watch.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/1127791433124012032

She was also in the AC-12 interrogation room, a place even more terrible then the two mentioned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wondered if they could hold up after that incredible first episode and happily they did, that was incredible. The shots of the deserted city were almost as incredible as that giant balls dude coming back and saying,"Yeah so it's not 3.61, it's 15,000 :manning:"

That final shot of the lights going out leaving the three poor bastards in the dark, the only sound their panicked breathing and the Geiger building up to a scream was loving terrifying.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My god this show is incredible and horrifying. Does anyone know, did their flashlights really go out down there? Would the radiation do that? I know the elephants foot fried some cameras they tried to use on it, so it certainly seems possible.

It's always a fun day when you have to amend your list of greatest fears because you discovered a new one, but "be trapped in a dark basement with rising water and radiation so bad that it fried your flashlight and all you can hear is the sound of water splashing and the geiger counter screaming in the dark" is definitely going on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
The helicopter crash happened like 5 months after the explosion, in October. Not sure why they chose to move it up to where they did, considering there's plenty of drama going on already. Unless I'm misremembering my Chernobyl facts and there was a second crash. Which I could be.

Those three dudes who went in there to open that sluice gate and drain the tanks are probably up there with Norman Borlaug as far as true heroes go.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 14, 2019