Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I know nothing about that book, and I don't have the time or scratch right now to buy, then read, such a phone book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Facetious posted:

Remember the 'Doctor's Book of Home Remedies' commercials?

That thing was as thick as a Bible; did it have anything that wasn't bullshit in it?

Most of those books are really full of rehashed "working remedy for a minor issue, but it's not particularly good" stuff to bulk them out. And then the creator doses in their specific scams along with the tips that are merely like "you can keep an aloe plant around and break open a leaf if you get a sunburn".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was packed with filler, redundancy and contradictions.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

The stereotype is that it's destructive, but that's a side effect of a whole range of agents that have varying effect profiles.

I'm not an expert on cancer by any means, but there's basically a genre of pseudoscience that's "purgative" - this thing hurts/feels strange to do, so it must be either good for me, or killing the disease. It's important to emphasize that these other substances and methods aren't equivalent to chemotherapy just because they're destructive. See also: bleach enemas, all sorts of "cleanses" and "purges", self-destructive diets, etc.

Isn't that kind of how a fever works? It's not good for you but hopefully it kills the infection before it cooks your brain.

Also I'm now kind of sad I tossed that giant book on natural cures my old boss gave me. I could have passed to curse onto you instead of some rando at Goodwill.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Found on Google Maps. Hiring, closing, I just can't keep up!!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It's a bit alarming because one of the most important lessons a child can learn is a healthy skepticism and a need to test other peoples claims against their understanding of the universe. The kind of person who accepts something as stupid as "move the neurotransmitters to balance them out" and "be vegan" is probably passing on their sheeplike naivete.

this hasn't been a directive in schools since bush II at the latest.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

wassssuuuuuuuup

https://www.wsj.com/video/why-amazon-is-gobbling-up-failed-malls/FC3559FE-945E-447C-8837-151C31D69127.html

evade paywall by opening up an incognito window, entering https://facebook.com/l.php?u= as a prefix, then append the wsj URL. tah-dah, you are now pretending that you got linked through facebook

Quoting this for later. Thank you fair goon.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

BlueBlazer posted:

Quoting this for later. Thank you fair goon.

im a brunette tho.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Schubalts posted:

Aren't you glad that there are commercials for a "home treatment option" that are trying to get people to believe that they don't have to go back to the doctor regularly while on chemo?

I thought they were referring to the Neulasta device they give you after certain chemotherapy sessions so that you don't have to come back the next day for a shot?
Or are you referring to the types of chemotherapy drugs that take so long to infuse they send the patient home with the pump?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

The stereotype is that it's destructive, but that's a side effect of a whole range of agents that have varying effect profiles.

I'm not an expert on cancer by any means, but there's basically a genre of pseudoscience that's "purgative" - this thing hurts/feels strange to do, so it must be either good for me, or killing the disease. It's important to emphasize that these other substances and methods aren't equivalent to chemotherapy just because they're destructive. See also: bleach enemas, all sorts of "cleanses" and "purges", self-destructive diets, etc.

It's not a stereotype it's simply what it is. Cancer cells metabolize stuff faster than the rest of your body, so if you literally inject yourself with poison the cancer will hurt more as you literally go scorched earth on your body in the hope that the problem areas die before you do. Cancer patients get nauseated because their body has trouble purging all the dead tissue. Their hair falls out as their bodies find themselves unable to service their extremities (this results in numbness in their fingers and toes too).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

There is no such thing as "made properly" in the context of homeopathy.

tHATS THE JOKE

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2019/05/13/tasty-store-bought-tomatoes-are-making-a-comeback/

quote:

The analysis also revealed a rare form of a gene that imparts tomato flavor to the fruit is missing in most modern, domesticated tomatoes. Yet, more than 90 percent of wild tomatoes have the flavor-punching version of the gene, the researchers report today in the journal Nature Genetics. Their analysis also shows that this flavor gene, called TomLoxC, uses carotenoids — the pigments that make tomatoes red — to make tomatoes tasty.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This seems like both good news and an incredible indictment of tomato breeding up til now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beachcomber posted:

This seems like both good news and an incredible indictment of tomato breeding up til now.

Well to be fair, the tomato they bred for predated genetic studies by a good 70+ years.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mister Facetious posted:

Well to be fair, the tomato they bred for predated genetic studies by a good 70+ years.

True but tastes good/tastes bland shouldn't require a microscope.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I once saw an $8 heirloom tomato and was like, "gently caress it, I'm going to find out."

Three things stood out:
  • Flavorful and delicious
  • Irregular internal structure
  • Soft and delicate.

In comparison, regular tomatoes are bland, crunchy bricks of scaffolding.

If they could fix tomatoes, it'd be a boon for GMO acceptance.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 14, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just eat tomatoes straight off the vine from your aunt's dacha????

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Got a couple tomato plants this spring from a teammate who ordered like 20 different varieties in some kind of bundle and didn't want them all. Tomato discussion here has me hoping that they'll taste substantially better than standard grocery store stuff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Do snake oil salesmen ever try to discredit each other?

Yes. I saw a debate about astrology and the astrologist said that the horoscopes you read In the newspaper are a sham while personal horoscopes are the real deal.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cicero posted:

Got a couple tomato plants this spring from a teammate who ordered like 20 different varieties in some kind of bundle and didn't want them all. Tomato discussion here has me hoping that they'll taste substantially better than standard grocery store stuff.

My father grows tomatoes in a little garden every year, and they taste incredible. I literally look forward to them.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cicero posted:

They will. You can bet money on it. You'll be able to eat them like apples. The study I posted went on to say that molecule was found in 2%-7% of grocery tomatoes, and while timely, doesn't explain in any way how it is that I can take a seed from a flavorless grocery tomato variety, sprout it, put it in the sun, and harvest delicious tomatoes from it several months later, but I think we covered that with discussion about refrigeration.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i am harry posted:

They will. You can bet money on it. You'll be able to eat them like apples. The study I posted went on to say that molecule was found in 2%-7% of grocery tomatoes, and while timely, doesn't explain in any way how it is that I can take a seed from a flavorless grocery tomato variety, sprout it, put it in the sun, and harvest delicious tomatoes from it several months later, but I think we covered that with discussion about refrigeration.

Pretty sure it's because they're not actually ripe when they're picked and artificially gassed with ethylene to redness.
Basically just compounding the problem.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Is it also because some of the genes for the grocery store breeds are recessive and just growing straight from seed means you'll get a wider range than cultivated ones? A dude living next to me had tomatoes and the way he seeded was stomping down the ones he didn't pick into the ground. He had weird off-color, misshapen tomatoes that tasted fantastic.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Pretty sure it's because they're not actually ripe when they're picked and artificially gassed with ethylene to redness.
Basically just compounding the problem.

Yes that’s got to be it; I picked a green tomato off one of my plants last year right as the first snow was falling and sat it on a window sill in the sun for the next month until it reddened. Tasted like the no-flavor grocery kinds, maybe a slight bit better

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

Is it also because some of the genes for the grocery store breeds are recessive and just growing straight from seed means you'll get a wider range than cultivated ones? A dude living next to me had tomatoes and the way he seeded was stomping down the ones he didn't pick into the ground. He had weird off-color, misshapen tomatoes that tasted fantastic.

More than that, lots of plants are just cuttings and are just copies of the same exact plant, and don't grow from seeds at all normally.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If you live in the south good luck with the army worms, tobacco worms, and various other worms that eat the roots.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Retail Collapse 2019: Tomato Gardening Advice

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Retail Collapse 2019: Tomato Slavery Advice

https://www.audible.com/pd/Tomatola...WAGPG650QZCGZKY

quote:

Throughout Tomatoland Estabrook presents a who's who cast of characters in the tomato industry: the avuncular octogenarian whose conglomerate grows one out of every eight tomatoes eaten in the United States; the ex-Marine who heads the group that dictates the size, color, and shape of every tomato shipped out of Florida; the U.S. attorney who has doggedly prosecuted human traffickers for the past decade; and the Guatemalan peasant who came north to earn money for his parents' medical bills and found himself enslaved for two years.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

drat foreigners, refusing to appreciate our freedom!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

If you live in the south good luck with the army worms, tobacco worms, and various other worms that eat the roots.

You can also wake up one morning to find that a single hornworm has eaten every leaf on the plant.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Thats why they invented 7 dust.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe don't live in the South. Get a jump on the inevitable Northern migration once global warming spins up.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for states inhabited by one old coot getting three electoral college votes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe don't live in the South. Get a jump on the inevitable Northern migration once global warming spins up.

Jokes on you, I like the heat and desolate wastelands.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Lambert posted:

Can't wait for states inhabited by one old coot getting three electoral college votes.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

Isn't that kind of how a fever works? It's not good for you but hopefully it kills the infection before it cooks your brain.

Also I'm now kind of sad I tossed that giant book on natural cures my old boss gave me. I could have passed to curse onto you instead of some rando at Goodwill.

Yeah that's why crunchy moms know fevers are good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm the color scale that shoves purple inbetween orange and red

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

there wolf posted:

And you can use it to kill unrelated infections like syphilis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotherapy

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

Nah, soon I'm gonna have beach front property.

And I wasn't really suggesting fevers as some sort of cure-all; that's just the logic behind why they happen at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/20/dressbarn-is-going-out-of-business-to-shut-all-650-stores.html

Dressbarn has gone under and is closing all 650 of it's retail locations.