Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I seem to recall that Onex corp wanted to acquire air Canada back in the 90's, and the minister of transportation was all over that. I cannot remember the general outcry, but there was enough public pushback to cancel the deal. It is imteresting, then, that Onex Corp. has acquired Westjet for the benefits of the shareholders.

"Who do you think you're foolin?"
"The Shareholders, sir! It's good PR to be seen, flying with real westjet-onex customers..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

Northern Ontario is nice, dude.

...compared to what?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Let's talk about airline software.

WestJet adopted Sabre in 2010 or possibly earlier. Sabre is an industry standard piece of software that WestJet acquired so they could do codeshares and play with the big boys. The trouble is that it is a byzantine piece of poo poo with a laggy GUI stuck on top. It lets you gently caress with things you shouldn't while preventing you from doing the things you want.

Name changes are incredibly stupid to do and basically require a bug to do correctly. How do other airlines do it easily? They either a. Don't use Sabre or b. Use native Sabre which has and feel and syntax of using DOS. Native lets you break the program over its knee but is Dark Magic not easily taught.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

...compared to what?

New Jersey?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Oh, yeah, that's probably true.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Unless Northern Ontario stretches down to North York or maybe Ottawa, I think I'll take my chances in Jersey. I haven't seen a horsefly or a blackfly in years.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 13, 2019

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1127980841005658113

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Nine of Eight posted:

I’m gonna cool down the whole Quebec memes thing for a bit, I’m running out of good content about current events that isn’t the dead horse of PL-21 being flogged some more. That said I’m not going out of business yet.

These things have been great, thanks for posting them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

...compared to what?

My recollection of NO is curvy tree-hugged roads in the middle of a nice forest, it wasn't particularly efficient to travel through but it was very pretty. I'll take that any day over the "get there directly but maybe kill yourself from despair before you reach it" Prairie drives I used to do frequently.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My recollection of Northern Ontario is peeling tarpaper shacks and exposed styrofoam insulation and crushing poverty and meth smiles and being eaten alive by bugs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I assume that you're all familiar with The Blackfly Song but if not watch this now.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
So how long do we think it's going to take Onex to fully strip mine Westjet and send them into bankruptcy? My guess is a little over five years, assuming they don't get "assistance" from the feds at some point. I don't like Westjet any more than anyone else in this thread but this isn't going to end well for anyone who's not an Onex shareholder.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Jagmeet Singh Grilled On B.C. LNG Project In Light Of NDP Push For More Climate Action

Jagmeet Singh appears to be walking back support for a major liquified natural gas project in British Columbia that has the backing of that province's NDP government.

Singh spoke to reporters outside of the House of Commons Monday to introduce an NDP motion calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to declare a climate emergency, end subsidies to the fossil fuel industry, and scrap the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

The federal NDP leader also pledged to make massive cuts to Canada's greenhouse gas emissions over the next decade if his party forms government after this October's election.

He was asked how he could reduce emissions in light of his support for the $40-billion LNG Canada project in northern B.C., which involves hydraulic fracturing or fracking, a pipeline, and export facility.

"LNG involves fracking, fracking means more emissions," a reporter noted.

Singh said he has made it clear that "the future of Canada does not include fracking" or relying on fossil fuels as an energy source.

Pressed further on how he squares his earlier support for the LNG project with his opposition to fracking, Singh lauded the B.C. government's plan to fight climate change.

"But I want to make it clear in terms of my values and my priorities," he said. "As leader of the New Democratic Party... I do not believe that fracking or fossil fuels (are) the future of our country."

Asked directly if he supports the initiative or not, Singh said that he has always maintained that "the project has problems." Resource projects need to be in line with climate change goals, respect Indigenous rights and create jobs, he said.

"It has not satisfied all of those criteria," he said.

Singh had a much different answer when asked about the LNG project during an interview with CTV's "Question Period" in January. The NDP leader was, at the time, set to run in a byelection in B.C.'s Burnaby South.

Host Evan Solomon noted that a planned pipeline to support the LNG project has the support of Indigenous communities along the route.

"I ask you a simple question: do you as the leader of the NDP support this LNG pipeline?" Solomon asked at the time.

"Yeah, I've already mentioned my support for this project given the fact that they've done consultation in a very meaningful way, broadly speaking," Singh said.

"As you mentioned the vast majority of Indigenous elected bands and chiefs have all shown support and the consultation process was done in a very meaningful way, very much in line with what we'd like to see going forward."

While on the byelection campaign trail in February, Singh told The Canadian Press that the LNG project has "demonstrated some clear, positive steps" around consultation.

"There was an exhaustive and pretty thorough consultation around Indigenous communities, First Nations communities and elected bands and chiefs," he said.

But Singh has faced pressure from his own candidates over the issue — most notably by former NDP MP Svend Robinson.

Robinson left federal politics in 2004 and is seeking to make a comeback this fall in Burnaby North. He has expressed concerns about how the LNG project will increase emissions.

"The most important issue facing our planet and our country today is climate change. We have to effectively put the country on the same kind of wartime footing that we did at the time of the last world war to fight climate change," Robinson said in February.

Climate change and environmental matters are poised to be election issues this fall.

Former NDP leader Tom Mulcair has said that progressives "looking for a home on environmental issues" could gravitate to Elizabeth May's Green Party, rather than New Democrats, because of the LNG issue.

Singh's effort to step up his credentials on fighting climate change comes on the heels of a Green byelection win in B.C.'s Nanaimo-Ladysmith last week.

Green candidate Paul Manly won the seat previously held by former NDP MP Sheila Malcolmson. Manly told supporters the results showed voters want to see "political courage to deal with climate change properly."

When asked by HuffPost Canada in March where she stands on the LNG project, May was direct and blunt.

"We are opposed to the destruction of life on Earth, therefore we oppose any new fossil fuel developments," she said. "We advocate for a rapid reduction of Canada's fossil fuel production so we're able to ensure a livable world for our kids. And that's the bottom line."

There's an embedded video of the scrum and Singh is spinning and being pretty evasive. It's hard to get a feel for if this is a genuine policy shift where the Fed NDP are backing away from any LNG support, or whether he's proposing some sort of Trudeauesque, 'we can do both' policy on LNG where certain projects could be allowed if aggressive climate targets can still be met.

If the Fed NDP is suggesting no more LNG projects going forward well then is there any daylight between the NDP and Greens on environmental issues?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Maybe it's because Svend and many members aren't supporting the LNG pipeline. I hope it's part of their yet-to-be-announced GND.

Regardless, I'm not sure other party leaders would have been grilled as much.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

My recollection of Northern Ontario is peeling tarpaper shacks and exposed styrofoam insulation and crushing poverty and meth smiles and being eaten alive by bugs

oh sure but the question was about places that are nice to drive through and it's a gorgeous part of the country as long as you don't mind only ever eating in family diners and sleeping in lovely motels.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Winnipeg Transit is taking job action tomorrow and will collect no fares.

http://www.atu1505.ca/index.cfm?action=article&articleID=01AE704A-008A-4D9A-9D84-6FF7AFA979C3

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

oh sure but the question was about places that are nice to drive through and it's a gorgeous part of the country as long as you don't mind only ever eating in family diners and sleeping in lovely motels.

We're nearing the day that most of those 50s motor inns that predate affordable commercial air travel are going to be go from "quaint but pretty iffy" to "flat out unlivable"... Or are we already there?

Rental RVs will be the only way to do domestic vacations through the hinterland... And I dunno how many of you have driven those, but boy do they have crappy gas mileage. Lots of room for big old batteries, though... Need an EV RV, once the charging infrastructure is there.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My guillotine is gonna need some sharpening for all y'all who make enough to go on vacations.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

James Baud posted:

We're nearing the day that most of those 50s motor inns that predate affordable commercial air travel are going to be go from "quaint but pretty iffy" to "flat out unlivable"... Or are we already there?

Rental RVs will be the only way to do domestic vacations through the hinterland... And I dunno how many of you have driven those, but boy do they have crappy gas mileage. Lots of room for big old batteries, though... Need an EV RV, once the charging infrastructure is there.

Infrastructure won't be a problem once you slap some aerodynamic solar panels on top of (and on the sides of, and behind) the RV. And replace the kids' seats with a couple of stationary bikes.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

MikeSevigny posted:

So how long do we think it's going to take Onex to fully strip mine Westjet and send them into bankruptcy? My guess is a little over five years, assuming they don't get "assistance" from the feds at some point. I don't like Westjet any more than anyone else in this thread but this isn't going to end well for anyone who's not an Onex shareholder.

If Onex is one of the really shady private equity funds like Bain Capital, the way they do their business fucks over everyone including their shareholders. I remember an article about Bain Capital where it pointed out that the average shareholder did see marginal increases in their share price over the time period where Bain was buying up and doing the leveraged bankruptcy buyout stuff, but nowhere near what you would expect given the obscene amount of cash the top people at Bain were pulling in.

If I remember correctly, the true scam is to arrange to have WestJet pay your directors massive management fees, then those fees become the debt / expenditure that justifies WestJet having to sell off any valuable assets they own / lay off employees to balance the books. Thus begins the great cycle of selling off the assets of WestJet and extracting all value possible out of the company in the form of the management fees. How long the company lasts depends on how solid it is to start off with, and with all you hear about WestJet 5 years might be an optimistic projection.

long story short, if you work for WestJet I think it's time for you to start looking for a new job.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My company was owned by ONEX for quite a while, purchased directly from private ownership. They were far and away the best private equity group that has owned us, we're on #3 now and getting the hard shaft from the new ones.

They seemed less interested in stripping the company for all it was worth than doing some serious capital investment.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

incontinence 100 posted:

My guillotine is gonna need some sharpening for all y'all who make enough to go on vacations.

My vacations these days consist of driving 2 hours to Moncton Costco. Please have pity.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/regina/2019/5/13/1_4420575.html

What the poo poo

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mik posted:

My vacations these days consist of driving 2 hours to Moncton Costco. Please have pity.

Comrade, our time will come when we line all the bourgeoisie up against the baked goods section.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

incontinence 100 posted:

Being incapacitated by a car accident is the working class vacation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lets just take a moment and in the absence of any specific information assume the investigation is in fact into the guy flying the Nazi flag and not the guy who took them down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Entorwellian posted:

Being incapacitated by a car accident is the working class vacation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv43UsG6fhY

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Storytime.

A guy I worked with used to be a prison guard, and when he was young and stupid he had the misfortune to be out in the yard when a con got beaten to death in the yard. Picture a ring of cons, then a big empty space, then a guy down on the ground and my former colleague and his then-older-and-wiser boss next to what was obviously a body. Old fart pulls out his pocket mask, puts it over what's left of the con's face and starts doing chest compressions. "Breathe", he tells his protege. Young guy asks him why bother, because the guy's dead, he might have friggin hep, no way I'm doing CPR on a dead man. Boss stops. "Look around. See them? Cause they see us. And if they see us standing here doing nothing while one of their own dies, guess how that's gonna go later? Breathe."

And that's how I learned that what you're seen to be doing sends just as much of a message about what you're actually doing.

The nazis are watching the cops to see what they do. If they ignore this theft and mischief, that'll send a message the cops don't want these lunatics receiving. I should hope that prosecutorial discretion will handle the rest.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

RCMP says displaying the flag is not illegal, but discussed the feeling of the community with the home owner.

"It's this no-brainer kid -- 34-years old and never grew up," Kelliher Mayor Darcy King said Friday.

"I contacted his parents ... and they didn't know it was happening,” King said.

A 34-year-old Nazi gets the benefit of the doubt because he's just a kid who never grew up, but indigenous teens are threats to life and limb who need to be shot if they enter your property.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

^It is with a moon-eyed optimism unseen outside of puppies in pet-store windows that I anticipate this "investigation" was undertaken specifically to stop a racist guy with a gun from drawing that same conclusion and lying in wait next to a racist flag of his own.

Lets just take a moment and in the absence of any specific information assume the investigation is in fact into the guy flying the Nazi flag and not the guy who took them down.

quote:

“I made the decision when the authorities weren’t going to make it,” said Pelletier. “I believe it affected so many of our people so I took matters into my own hands and now they are taken down and burned.”

Pelletier, from the George Gordon First Nation, said he wanted to take the flags down because the flags are offensive to Indigenous people.

I don't feel good about that assumption.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

^It is with a moon-eyed optimism unseen outside of puppies in pet-store windows that I anticipate this "investigation" was undertaken specifically to stop a racist guy with a gun from drawing that same conclusion and lying in wait next to a racist flag of his own.

I don't feel good about that assumption.

Nor do I but I also don't want to be that pissed off this morning, so I too am going with moon-eyed optimism.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

:canada: that's the stuff

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
So I guess Canada is going to declare a climate change emergency tomorrow. :toot:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A short while ago Elizabeth May was being interviewed on the CBC and was asked what real climate change looks like for every day Canadians. She was vague and the interviewer had to ask again, but May's final answer was home retrofits, a west/east electricity grid, solar panels and electric cars. That's some real bold action on climate change that I'm sure snow bound Canadians will not laugh at at all.

It reminds me of Layton focusing on high cell phone bills and an airplane travellers bill of rights.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Femtosecond posted:

A short while ago Elizabeth May was being interviewed on the CBC and was asked what real climate change looks like for every day Canadians. She was vague and the interviewer had to ask again, but May's final answer was home retrofits, a west/east electricity grid, solar panels and electric cars. That's some real bold action on climate change that I'm sure snow bound Canadians will not laugh at at all.

It reminds me of Layton focusing on high cell phone bills and an airplane travellers bill of rights.

It might also look like having to spend a fortune re-doing the dock on your summer cabin and higher insurance premiums on your waterfront home. These are the sort of things I really hope the Greens have a plan for and there will be subsidies and tax rebates to ease the burden on our already taxed to death home owners.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Femtosecond posted:

She got pilloried when she blamed the fort mac fire on climate change

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

So I guess Canada is going to declare a climate change emergency tomorrow. :toot:

The House of Commons is going to pass a non-binding motion affirming "that Canada is in a national climate emergency which requires, as a response, that Canada commit to meeting its national emissions target under the Paris Agreement and to making deeper reductions in line with the Agreement's objective of holding global warming below two degrees Celsius and pursuing efforts to keep global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius."

That's uh very different.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need to support middle temperature ranges and climates working towards joining the middle temperature class.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's got to be tons of people who are actively rooting for Climate Change in hopes that it will make Canadian weather less cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Actually, I think you'll find the average temperature in Canada, between Alert and Point Pelee is a balmy 22°. Everything is fine.

BC is on fire and Quebec is under water. On average everything is just peachy.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 14, 2019