Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I appreciate how the LoN season has both of the "collect all sets on two characters" conquests.

I'm not really sure what I want to build: the LoN build that sounds most fun is frenzy barbarian, but I just played barb in the last season...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'm torn. Barb or Crusader this season. I'm leaning towards sader, because I haven't really done a thorns sader.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Zarin posted:

Statistically, you'll find one within the first 10 leggos that drop (give or take).
Statistics don't work that way. The probability of having gotten an ancient in your first 10 legendaries is only about 65%.

If you're reasonably competent and reasonably lucky, you're going to complete your Haedrig's before finding more than a couple ancients. Maybe you get a free GR20, if you've got a set with all of its damage in its 6pc, but LoN doesn't outrank even the weakest 6pc damage bonuses until like four ancients deep, to say nothing of its defensive component scaling rather slowly.

Some classes benefit more than others, sure, but I dunno. I just don't find it compelling.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bio347 posted:

Statistics don't work that way. The probability of having gotten an ancient in your first 10 legendaries is only about 65%.

If you're reasonably competent and reasonably lucky, you're going to complete your Haedrig's before finding more than a couple ancients. Maybe you get a free GR20, if you've got a set with all of its damage in its 6pc, but LoN doesn't outrank even the weakest 6pc damage bonuses until like four ancients deep, to say nothing of its defensive component scaling rather slowly.

Some classes benefit more than others, sure, but I dunno. I just don't find it compelling.

Haha, I realized that's not how stats work (learned that the hard way with Jin'rokh).

Maybe I'm looking back at the start of this season with rose-colored glasses, but I felt like I had a functional LoN build completed pretty quickly.

I guess I'll pay more attention this time around!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Zarin posted:

I guess I'll pay more attention this time around!
As will I! It's been a bit, after all, it's entirely possible that my memory is just poor.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bio347 posted:

The problem with LoN for me is that it takes longer to gear a spec than I have attention span for season-doings. Lately, I really enjoy playing a new season, finishing the journey, and putting in, y'know, 25-40ish hours (total) fully assembling whatever build I set out to play that go 'round. I don't think I've even come close to accidentally completing a worthwhile LoN set during any of these recent seasons.

Yep, this is me. I'm thinking I'll do monk because their gift set is good and it's been a bit. If I find an ancient on the way through Ch. 1-4 then swell but otherwise it'll probably be moot for me. In all this time playing I've never really given LoN a shot because all the builds seem way less good than the sets, generally. There's too many useless or poo poo legendaries that aren't used in the sets already. There's rarely a time when I'm like "man I wish I could fit X into my set build" when really another set within the class probably uses that item/skill better anyway. I don't like wiz and nec and high GR play so this season bonus is pretty meh to me. :geno:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mewse posted:

Season 17: The Season of Nightmares Begins 5/17
▪️ Torment 14/15/16
▪️ Updated Legendary Powers
▪️ Season of Nightmares buff
Read More: https://blizz.ly/2VQAIte

this is out of date, right?:

"You’ll earn one additional tab each Season by finishing the Conqueror tier, up to a maximum of five"

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Rinkles posted:

"You’ll earn one additional tab each Season by finishing the Conqueror tier, up to a maximum of five"

How many are you supposed to get? Haven't played in a while

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I think it's correct; the old cap was 4, which many players have probably hit by now. (Not me though! :v: )

They were gonna up it so that those players could get another tab for the next 5 seasons, but have seemed to backtrack on that citing "technical difficulties".

My own theory on this is that 5 new tabs required a rework of the stash UI, and the current intern doesn't have any art skills, so they'll look for an art major next semester and we'll see about it then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zarin posted:

but have seemed to backtrack on that citing "technical difficulties".

Ugh, for real?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rinkles posted:

Ugh, for real?

Edit: For this season, it won't much matter I suppose. That means they have another few months to get it right, I guess.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone put out a tier list or convenient list of LoN builds? I've honestly never bothered to farm enough gear for one. Though I'd like to try a thorns necro...

Also if anyone missed it - this season we will have enough DB from CR to be able to craft & upgrade a lvl 70 weapon. It can then be equipped in the cube for leveling. Unless of course, it rolls reduced lvl requirement and ancient.
:getin:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

paid money to post posted:

Has anyone put out a tier list or convenient list of LoN builds? I've honestly never bothered to farm enough gear for one. Though I'd like to try a thorns necro...

Rhykker hasn't released one yet, but it's probably coming soon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any prior LoN build guides will be outdated since having access to both ring slots is going to be a huge deal.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I noticed after increasing to Torment 6 difficulty that the Wizard's Archon no longer seemed to be as effective. It used to be my Elite/Illusionist/Horde Killer, but it just wasn't cutting it against higher monster HP. I could use the Legendary which starts it off with 40-50 stacks or that bonus in passive form, but I LOVE my Cord of Sherma's blinding bubble, it completely cripples almost anything inside it, which means free damage.

With Archon ineffective, and my new focus on keeping Nephalem Globe bonuses going, I started switching up my skills more, bringing back Blizzard and Meteor or Black Hole in some combination. However, in the course of looking around three pieces of the Firebird's Finery set dropped, so I switched to that. I had a couple other uniques which would also boost fire and lower recharge.

Does anyone else make a habit of checking the corpse of Haedrig's apprentice? He's guaranteed a minimum of a magic item, and I've gotten at least two legendaries and a set item off his body, not bad odds for something which doesn't take more than a minute to check 90% of the time.

Chiltara finally dropped the drat gemstone so I could craft the staff. Took friggin' forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Archon requires a very specific set of legendaries that won't entirely come together until you have basically all of them. No advanced Wizard builds incorporate a Cord of the Sherma unfortunately, there is always a more desirable option in that slot. For T6 this probably doesn't matter.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Spending time hunting down clickable corpses is a waste, you will find legendaries faster (and without wanting to kys) by just running rifts and bounties.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Rinkles posted:

I completed the first season of my time with D3 this season (I had it on xbox but didn't play enough). Does the extra stash get added after the season ends?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

Archon requires a very specific set of legendaries that won't entirely come together until you have basically all of them. No advanced Wizard builds incorporate a Cord of the Sherma unfortunately, there is always a more desirable option in that slot. For T6 this probably doesn't matter.

Well, I'm really only killing time until the new season starts, so I'm not going to be terribly concerned about getting max gear. I'm not surprised to hear about the belt, even I have found so many belts with good bonuses that it can be hard to choose.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Spending time hunting down clickable corpses is a waste, you will find legendaries faster (and without wanting to kys) by just running rifts and bounties.

I figured. Getting a legendary to drop the first time colored my perception a little. It was something to do between Chiltara attempts. I'm on Torment 6 because of the guaranteed legendary from bounties.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Sean posted:

I completed the first season of my time with D3 this season (I had it on xbox but didn't play enough). Does the extra stash get added after the season ends?

It unlocks automatically once you complete the relevant chapter of the season journey.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I figured. Getting a legendary to drop the first time colored my perception a little. It was something to do between Chiltara attempts. I'm on Torment 6 because of the guaranteed legendary from bounties.

Note that bounties have their own special pool of legendaries. Some very useful stuff, some trash, but you won't get anything else. Also specific legendaries from this pool are tied to specific acts. E.g., iirc, the avarice band can drop from act 2, 3 and 4 bounty caches (and nowhere else).

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Rinkles posted:

Note that bounties have their own special pool of legendaries. Some very useful stuff, some trash, but you won't get anything else. Also specific legendaries from this pool are tied to specific acts. E.g., iirc, the avarice band can drop from act 2, 3 and 4 bounty caches (and nowhere else).

only act3 and act4 for avarice band.

Act 4 can be any legendary from acts 1,2,3, and 5 (not 100% sure on 5)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Idk if clickables are "worth it" but I always click em if they're in my path. It's probably suboptimal but they give you beams sometimes and it adds a little variety in what you're clicking!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Can legendaries that you buy from the blacksmith spawn as ancient?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Yes.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I managed to clear a 119 on crusader today. It was essentially a god rift. 17 yellows, 4x 3 packs, 1x 5 pack. Skipped one of the 3 packs because it had shielding and skipped the 5 pack. RG was tethrys which was less than ideal, but we got there in the end.

the video if anyone wants to watch me click yellow and mash 1-4 for 15 minutes

Puts me at 63rd on the americas leaderboard and I think I'm gonna call it there. I might have played enough invokers this season for one life time, looking forward to something new next season.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm planning to get one character of every class up to 70. I don't have the Necro DLC. I already have half the Firebird's Finery set on my last-season Wizard. I don't think I want to go for a melee Demon Hunter, and I'm not sure I want to do a "Thorns" build.

I don't have strong opinions on the other possibilities, so speaking as The New Guy, which set should I go for as the seasonal reward?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Probably demon hunter. Impale is strong, and the build's supporting legendaries are really easy to obtain.

If you don't want melee go with monk, though the build takes a few supporting legendaries to get off the ground.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There are no melee DH builds, shadow impale throws a dagger and is super easy to gear up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlike most other DH builds you really do want to be right up in the monsters’ face though.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
That Impale set is so fun, I am torn between it and crusader this next season.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Huh I accidently stumbled on almost this exact build.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/monk-wave-of-light-build-with-sunwuko-or-inna-set-patch-2-6-4-season-16

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Just a seasonal friendly reminder that if you want to start off your season with a nice advantage, don't complete the upcoming Challenge Rift. It's currently still the old one (Crusader), but will roll over in about 35 minutes to the new one (Demon Hunter).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

DrSeRRoD posted:

Just a seasonal friendly reminder that if you want to start off your season with a nice advantage, don't complete the upcoming Challenge Rift. It's currently still the old one (Crusader), but will roll over in about 35 minutes to the new one (Demon Hunter).

And once the season does start, remember to create your seasonal character first before doing the challenge rift.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Do DHs have a dot that can sustain massacre bonus? I might be leveling solo this season :/

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What website do people use for builds these days, given diablofans shut down?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I already played:

Necro Rathma
WD (Chicken + Jades sets)
Mage a weird janky Frozen Orb build I had fun with (Never finished the set)
A Lot of Monk builds (easily my favorite class, especially with last season's set buffs)
DH most sets that weren't Impale

It's time to try either Barb or Crusader, but it looks like the free DH set is impale and I kinda wanted to try that?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you've never tried Barb, this season is leap quake. Throwing daggers and murdering elites is fun but loving leap quake, man. It's a hoot.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Here's a nice guide for the CR. There's also a map picture with the elites and pylons if you want to skip the video. It's an LoN Demon Hunter setup with strafe. Remember to wait until the season starts to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHu8E_yFow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

If you've never tried Barb, this season is leap quake. Throwing daggers and murdering elites is fun but loving leap quake, man. It's a hoot.

You have sold me on the barb