Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
imagine if armor was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

imagine if armor was good.
T3 helmets letting me walk away from a throwing spear through my skull seems to be pretty good (Given they list 100 damage vs T2, I can only assume THOSE occasions survived were friendly fire :v: )

That or calmly walking away as some throwing knife spam ninja keeps uselessly plinking them off me.

Armor is pretty great! It's just more notable when not facing off against people using weapons as tall as they are.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 14, 2019

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Armor stinks, I say, as I take no pants and dodge on another character immediately before I back dodge someone sprinting with an executioner's sword, who is running fast enough that it doesn't do anything and I die in one hit

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I mean, real armor wasn't like... a joke, that poo poo worked. If a guy in full plate was standing before you it would take real effort to skewer that boy with a spear. This game of thrones one lame little stroke with a sword instantly flooring a fully armored knight poo poo just ain't satisfactioning me. I'd be down with armor getting buffed is what I'm sayin'

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Heavy armours not making actions cost more stamina has always seemed a bit odd, honestly.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Finally getting an average of 25ish kills a game.

The best build I've settled on for actually helping the team push up is 1/1/1 - Arming Sword + Heater Shield - Bloodlust and Dodge.

You can sneak in extremely fast attacks, dodge around, block cleaving swings for your teammates, and get behind people really easily. And if you find yourself in a 1 on 1 with a plate user you have so many different tools to mix them up, especially if you pick up a two handed or throwing weapon.

Learning to parry and chamber with a 2 hander's first is important though so you dont become reliant on shielding only.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The fact you can parry with light weapons is odd as well. There is no way if someone is swinging one of those heavier weapons that you are going to successfully parry IRL.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Motherfucker posted:

I mean, real armor wasn't like... a joke, that poo poo worked. If a guy in full plate was standing before you it would take real effort to skewer that boy with a spear. This game of thrones one lame little stroke with a sword instantly flooring a fully armored knight poo poo just ain't satisfactioning me. I'd be down with armor getting buffed is what I'm sayin'

If the game was realistic the fully armored knights would be immune to almost all of the weapons except big blunt ones plus poleaxe/halberd/crossbow, and to kill anyone in full armor you would have to wrestle them into submission until you could hold them still long enough to shove a dagger through their helmet's eyeslit.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I want to play the Mordhau WWF game where I have to use the Stone Cold stunner to take down a knight.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zotix posted:

The fact you can parry with light weapons is odd as well. There is no way if someone is swinging one of those heavier weapons that you are going to successfully parry IRL.

The parrying you see in fighting games like this has nothing do with reality anyways. The entire point was to deflect rather than block weapon strikes because even attempting to fully block even with a large, heavy weapon would leave you with a twisted wrist at best and outright breaking it at worst. Incidentally daggers were perfectly fine for deflecting large weapons.

John Clement's Medieval Swordsmanship is probably the most comprehensive piece ever published on medieval weapons use for those curious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like the directional aiming is almost clicking, 80-90% of the time it does what I want, and then the other 10-20% it just does whatever, to the likely dismay of any nearby teammates. It's still not fully reliable for me, but it's already really satisfying when it works out.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Personally, I don't use direction aiming at all. Wheel up for thrust, wheel down for overhead, left mouse for slash, mouse thumb button for uppercut, hold alt for reverse side. That's mostly just because that's what I'm used to from chivalry, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

They do seem to get a fairly significant penalty to stamina drain when parrying larger weapons, though. Like when I'm up against a rapier with my maul or war axe, I basically just have to pummel into their parry a few times before the sword goes flying and I get the free kill.

Of course now all the loving rapierists just roll around with kite shields that completely obviate that penalty, so that's not much help anymore. :negative:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Personally, I don't use direction aiming at all. Wheel up for thrust, wheel down for overhead, left mouse for slash, mouse thumb button for uppercut, hold alt for reverse side. That's mostly just because that's what I'm used to from chivalry, though.

I have 1000+ hours in Chivalry as well, but one of the main things that attracted me to Mordhau was that it promised to be more freeform. And it is, and the directional aiming feels good to use when it works, but often I find myself going 'wait, why did it do that?'. I guess I have to keep reminding myself to wind up my swings.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

I have 1000+ hours in Chivalry as well, but one of the main things that attracted me to Mordhau was that it promised to be more freeform. And it is, and the directional aiming feels good to use when it works, but often I find myself going 'wait, why did it do that?'. I guess I have to keep reminding myself to wind up my swings.
I ended up trying setting to "Hybrid" to see what happens and it seems to have made for a convenient "Last mouse direction determines left vs right, Buttons are Horizontal/thrust/overhand/underhand"

It's been working out pretty nice so far, even if I mostly use it for twitch 'pick the side that won't cut the head or legs off a teammate' rather than dueling master progress. But hey, easier than fishing for an alt key or setting 8 individual attack buttons.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 14, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If the game was realistic the fully armored knights would be immune to almost all of the weapons except big blunt ones plus poleaxe/halberd/crossbow, and to kill anyone in full armor you would have to wrestle them into submission until you could hold them still long enough to shove a dagger through their helmet's eyeslit.

Sounds rad to me!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rynoto posted:

The parrying you see in fighting games like this has nothing do with reality anyways. The entire point was to deflect rather than block weapon strikes because even attempting to fully block even with a large, heavy weapon would leave you with a twisted wrist at best and outright breaking it at worst. Incidentally daggers were perfectly fine for deflecting large weapons.

John Clement's Medieval Swordsmanship is probably the most comprehensive piece ever published on medieval weapons use for those curious.

I'll swing the maul/sledgehammer, you parry it with the dagger. I promise I won't hold back, wouldn't want a compromised test now!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Is everyone else also using the max FOV possible? (101)

I don't really like the slight fisheye thing going on, but being able to get more peripheral vision seems worth any compromise, I already get stabbed from people I don't see all the time with max FOV, can't imagine how it would be with FOV restricted to normal

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
95 is plenty and looks much better

but if you really want maximum awareness you've gotta learn to play in third-person mode

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if it was truly realistic all your teammates would get angry at you afterwards because a fully plate armored dude would get a nice ransom from his dad

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

if it was truly realistic all your teammates would get angry at you afterwards because a fully plate armored dude would get a nice ransom from his dad

I could fully see mount and blade going for a system like this.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I'm having a ton of fun with my ranger 2/2/0 Recursive Bow + Arming Sword with Ranger and Tenacious. I sit just behind the front line and pop people in the face. If anyone gets close I just pull out the sword and wade in. I really enjoy watching someone spot and come running at me, so I plink them a few times and then sword them in the face when they go for the big swing. Throwing the sword as they march up is also funny.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Is everyone else also using the max FOV possible? (101)

I don't really like the slight fisheye thing going on, but being able to get more peripheral vision seems worth any compromise, I already get stabbed from people I don't see all the time with max FOV, can't imagine how it would be with FOV restricted to normal

I play with max FOV too and I don't notice the fisheye effect anymore. Even with it maxed out though the FOV feels tiny.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKh3G3v6Bg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Babe Magnet posted:

wish there was a more "breastplate" looking t2 armor, even a tiny one like the padded t3 one, but the metal scale rules in its own way

Yeah I find the tier 2 chest armor options a bit lacking. I wanna just use the basic chainmail for my pseudo-viking war axe dude but it takes away all the waist slot options for no goddamn reason. :argh:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what do chivalry-swingers, archers, and horse mains have in common?

they all take the game WAY too seriously and will chase me down over all other targets whenever i'm barding

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

this is a pro click :discourse:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

Yeah I think light weapons should only be able to parry other light weapons and maybe a few of the mid sized one handed weapons. A dagger parrying a maul or Zweihander is pretty loving stupid.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's almost as if gameplay concessions over realism are sometimes necessary

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Your overhead Maul swings should be able to ignore the opponent's shields and pop their little bitch head like a grape.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Motherfucker posted:

We got a live one

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Nordick posted:

It's almost as if gameplay concessions over realism are sometimes necessary

Like you said, sometimes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah I think light weapons should only be able to parry other light weapons and maybe a few of the mid sized one handed weapons. A dagger parrying a maul or Zweihander is pretty loving stupid.

This would just make those people free kills because your average player is never going to be any good at strike chambers.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lol reading about people's complaints that directly correlates to what killed them last always makes me laugh

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol reading about people's complaints that directly correlates to what killed them last always makes me laugh

Edgy.

There's a legitimate argument to be made about the state of stab attacks, and the effort needed to counter it. Maybe Spears, need their costs readjusted, maybe it needs to use more stamina, maybe it needs less damage. But you can't go on the offensive vs someone with a short spear, armor, and a shield. You have to wait for them to attack(which comes out in .5 seconds from 10 feet away), perfectly time a chamber, and counter. It's a problem. I'm not saying nerf it in the ground, but I am saying that it needs to be looked at because the game is going already gravitating toward stabbing in Frontline, and will only get worse.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I dunno I've had good success circling and attacking trying to get rid of their stamina + leading them back to friendlies if it's frontlines.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The worst part of a Short Spear nerf would be the increased odds of people going "Wait a minute, that Estoc just did 51 damage to my chainmail, AND is as long as a short spear!" instead of letting me get free pokes while half the enemy team has tunnel vision over a spear user :ohdear:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

The worst part of a Short Spear nerf would be the increased odds of people going "Wait a minute, that Estoc just did 51 damage to my chainmail, AND is as long as a short spear!" instead of letting me get free pokes while half the enemy team has tunnel vision over a spear user :ohdear:

lol, yeah Estoc is the one thing that's gotten "srs business" players cussing me out for being dishonorable.

I'm surprised Maul hasn't gotten more rage yet amongst the community though because holy poo poo can it lay down the pain.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People who can actually fight with the maul instead of just swinging into a melee are absolutely horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Avynte posted:

lol, yeah Estoc is the one thing that's gotten "srs business" players cussing me out for being dishonorable.

I'm surprised Maul hasn't gotten more rage yet amongst the community though because holy poo poo can it lay down the pain.
I think I've seen literally one person in chat cry over the maul at length so far, and they doubled down with "The maul is the only broken weapon in the game".

It's probably the fact it is the slowest weapon in the entire game, along with it's baby reach, that keep people from complaining usually. Pure shame is a strong thing for if people complain when something kills them or not. If they crush your skull, deep down you know you probably deserved it more than any other weapon in the game. Even when some monster in human form makes you imagine the Donkey Kong hammer music because holy poo poo :stare:

See also, I've never seen anyone complain over accidentally killing themselves on spikes unless it's some rear end in a top hat trying to box in your own spawn. But if someone survives a bear trap in front of the enemy spawn, they will chase a teammate to the ends of the earth declaring their intentions to team kill them. (Or when it's enemies crying over beartraps, but if they open a door and run directly into spikes like a cartoon character, no comment).