Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicFrog posted:

Good to know, especially since I am a sucker for good footnotes and wished more authors used them -- in fiction especially the only examples of good footnote use that come to mind are Pratchett and Cuppy.

This is the one titled "Three Kingdoms, A Historical Novel: Complete and Unabridged"?

To be precise, I got this edition: ISBN-10: 7119005901

Size comparison with the PNR I'm also reading.

They are endnotes, my bad, but they're split up by book so you don't have to have the whole set with you - just flip to the back of whatever volume you're reading and there they are. They're well-written and help provide context and so on.

This edition has typos in it (about one or two per chapter. Not bad but not great), and the paper's pretty thin, but since I just wanted a reading copy in paperback it's perfect for me. Easy to carry around and read.

This was the novel purchase guide I used, after a lot of googling. I could've spent a lot more on a set that has even more maps and notes, but the appeal of paperback is very strong, haha.

From what I can tell, your other translator choices are either super dated, or abridged. Moss Roberts is the only dude who hits that balance between being readable and translating the whole dang thing.

e: Oh and for completeness' sake, I spent about 12$ + shipping on my set on ebay - full four volumes, listed as "acceptable" quality, no box. Again, as I was just looking for a reading copy that was perfect and I'm very happy reading this thing.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ToxicFrog posted:

Good to know, especially since I am a sucker for good footnotes and wished more authors used them -- in fiction especially the only examples of good footnote use that come to mind are Pratchett and Cuppy.

Susanna Clarke, David Foster Wallace, Robert Grudin

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yes. Inconveniently, they're actually endnotes, so you have to have both books open to use them...

Oh for gently caress's sake :negative:

quote:

Note that these are editors' and translator's footnotes, not part of the actual novel.

I'll take what I can get, and I do appreciate a well-footnoted translation as well.

StrixNebulosa posted:

From what I can tell, your other translator choices are either super dated, or abridged. Moss Roberts is the only dude who hits that balance between being readable and translating the whole dang thing.

Aggravatingly, it looks like Moss also did an abridged translation, which makes searching occasionally tricky. So thanks for the ISBN!

It also looks like the abridged version might be available as an ebook, but the full version is hardcopy only?

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

less laughter posted:

Those first two were exactly what I thought of immediately. Also, Jeff Vandermeer's Shriek: An Afterword makes good use of footnotes. The book is a biography if fictional historian Duncan Shriek, written by his sister Janice. The footnotes are Duncan's commentary on the manuscript. I guess I would describe it as "mushroom horror"?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Anyone else excited for the sequel of Empire of Silence, The Howling Dark? I really liked Empire of Silence -- clearly closely inspired by Dune, but still a well written coming of age scifi story.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The latest Kencyrath book... did not do it for me. "Rote" and "perfunctory", are the words I'd use. A shame too as Sea of Time was a great romp and Gates of Tagmeth was... solid.

This is also one of those fantasy series which insists on recapping every previous plot point at the beginning of every book. Not in, like, a short "previously on" bit, but scattered throughout the opening third in awkward little asides and expository fragments. Only it was just the first third this time, because this is book nine and Jesus loving H Christ Hodgell just let it go already, four fifths of the book is choking to death under the weight of this poo poo and half of it isn't even relevant this time.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

less laughter posted:

george macdonald fraser

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Anyone else excited for the sequel of Empire of Silence, The Howling Dark? I really liked Empire of Silence -- clearly closely inspired by Dune, but still a well written coming of age scifi story.

yes! preordered it the day it became available.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The latest Kencyrath book... did not do it for me. "Rote" and "perfunctory", are the words I'd use. A shame too as Sea of Time was a great romp and Gates of Tagmeth was... solid.

This is also one of those fantasy series which insists on recapping every previous plot point at the beginning of every book. Not in, like, a short "previously on" bit, but scattered throughout the opening third in awkward little asides and expository fragments. Only it was just the first third this time, because this is book nine and Jesus loving H Christ Hodgell just let it go already, four fifths of the book is choking to death under the weight of this poo poo and half of it isn't even relevant this time.

I'm so disappointed with the series that I don't think I made it past book six (six, ffs!). The ridiculous covers aren't helping.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

I have literally never read a more derivative book than Empire of Silence.
I can only wonder how many more almost word-for-word passages I could have spotted if I'd read Dune more than once a few years back.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

pretty sure those plagiarism checkers you ran your stuff through in school would flag that as completely unacceptable

sue em Pat lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:toot:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I have literally never read a more derivative book than Empire of Silence.
I can only wonder how many more almost word-for-word passages I could have spotted if I'd read Dune more than once a few years back.

Googled the book and the term “ the next Rothuss “ came up.
I guess damning with faint praise is an apt description.

Back when I still had the time to browse bookshops, my criteria for an interesting book was based on having the description contain as few stereotypical fantasy/sci-fi descriptions as possible.
This one manages to fill in the stereotypical ones with a rather impressive amount.

Btw, latest Luna book by McDonald is out.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hell yeah this and the new Guy Gavriel Kay book coming out on the same day is cool

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Googled the book and the term “ the next Rothuss “ came up.
I guess damning with faint praise is an apt description.

Back when I still had the time to browse bookshops, my criteria for an interesting book was based on having the description contain as few stereotypical fantasy/sci-fi descriptions as possible.
This one manages to fill in the stereotypical ones with a rather impressive amount.
Yeah, it's not very good. But hey, no accounting for taste, even if it is Rothfuss in space.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Would the Dune books be good to read if I've never read them before? I mean like how people watch Aliens today and think it's boring because every other action movie afterward copied it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Tokelau All Star posted:

Would the Dune books be good to read if I've never read them before? I mean like how people watch Aliens today and think it's boring because every other action movie afterward copied it.

I don't know if anything has copied Dune as thoroughly as that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tokelau All Star posted:

The first book is a messianic coming of age ecology adventure. The other ones are other things entirely.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Dune books are still fairly unique -- they've never really been copied successfully by anything except maybe Star Wars -- but the one rule is, keep reading till you don't like the series any more, then stop, it will never get better. Different people argue over which is the "last good Dune book" but nobody thinks they don't get progressively worse.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Dune books are still fairly unique -- they've never really been copied successfully by anything except maybe Star Wars -- but the one rule is, keep reading till you don't like the series any more, then stop, it will never get better. Different people argue over which is the "last good Dune book" but nobody thinks they don't get progressively worse.

I don't think they get progressively worse, I just think they are talking about something totally different than the first book. Herbert had some philosophical ideas and ideas about how the human mind works he was exploring, the same themes are in the voidship book and the Planet trilogy. It's just most people aren't into that kind of stuff. And in the end, Dune is kind of like when you hear a single from a band you think is really neat, and then you buy the album and nothing else in the album is anything like the single.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

[...]

e: Oh and for completeness' sake, I spent about 12$ + shipping on my set on ebay - full four volumes, listed as "acceptable" quality, no box. Again, as I was just looking for a reading copy that was perfect and I'm very happy reading this thing.

I got the same set a few years back and the box is just a flimsy cardboard case so you're not missing out on anything. Also note the "Printed in the People's Republic of China. Not for sale in North America" bit on the first page. :china: There's similar compact editions from the same publisher for some of the other Chinese Classics if you ever get interested in them: Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh, Journey to the West, and Dream of the Red Chamber, though I can't comment on the translation qualities since I don't have them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xcheopis posted:

I'm so disappointed with the series that I don't think I made it past book six (six, ffs!). The ridiculous covers aren't helping.

The Book Barn › The SF&F Thread: so disappointed with the series I didn't make it past book 6

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tokelau All Star posted:

A) Those people are nuts, Aliens still rocks. B) There still aren't really any works like Dune. A modern audience is much more likely to have a political problem with Dune than an aesthetic one.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

I got the same set a few years back and the box is just a flimsy cardboard case so you're not missing out on anything. Also note the "Printed in the People's Republic of China. Not for sale in North America" bit on the first page. :china: There's similar compact editions from the same publisher for some of the other Chinese Classics if you ever get interested in them: Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh, Journey to the West, and Dream of the Red Chamber, though I can't comment on the translation qualities since I don't have them.

For Journey to the West the definitive version is this four-volume unabridged version translated by Anthony C. Yu.
Though I'll note that having read it I can see why it's usually abridged.

Every Chapter posted:

Tripitaka: "Look Wukong, an innocent woodcutter in need of our help!"
Wukong: "Master, it's a demon in disguise. It will try and eat you."
Tripitaka: "Don't be silly Wukong. Ho there good fellow!" *is kidnapped*
Wukong: "Wuneng, Wujing, stay here while I go and beat the demon and recover the Tang Monk."
Wuneng/Wujing: "Duh, okay."
Wukong: "Have at you, demon!" *is soundly defeated*
Wukong: "Guan Yin, save us please!"
Guan Yin: *sighs* "Fine." *destroys the demon utterly*
Tripitaka: "Oh thank you merciful Bodhisattva! Thank you loyal Wukong! I promise I'll listen to you next time you warn me about demons!"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

I totally missed that "not for sale" thing, oh my goodness. Oh China.

I'm tentatively curious in the other Chinese classics, but since I'm on page 194 out of 2000+, it'll be a while before I get to them!

The_White_Crane posted:

For Journey to the West the definitive version is this four-volume unabridged version translated by Anthony C. Yu.
Though I'll note that having read it I can see why it's usually abridged.

I mean, I'm not going to lie, I can see why the abridged versions of Ro3K abridge what they do - "and then Lu Bu forced Cao Cao to flee for his life, again, and Cao Cao regrouped and figured out a new scheme" - and it's like, would you two stop.

Thank you for the ideal translation though, I'll mark that down for when I get to it!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ted Chiang's story "Exhalation" is real cool. It's about argon pressure powered robots who discover that their source of power is losing pressure. I'm only disappointed there wasn't a group of them that decided to depressurize even faster. I call them exhalerationists

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Ted Chiang's story "Exhalation" is real cool. It's about argon pressure powered robots who discover that their source of power is losing pressure. I'm only disappointed there wasn't a group of them that decided to depressurize even faster. I call them exhalerationists

Writing a post just to post a pun is bad and you should feel bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Writing a post just to post a pun is bad and you should feel bad.

It was a good pun.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He means stop at God Emperor of Dune.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Time to post about my favorite fantasy series that nobody has read: The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney.

It's a flintlock fantasy series (even though they use matchlocks) set in a Western Europe equivalent, where the Muslims are doing much better in the circa 1500s religious wars. The book begins with the destruction of the equivalent of Vienna, and in the vacuum the Western church uses the chaos to start purging magic users (which they see as violating the precepts of their religion). It's a pretty expansive military series, which also includes a fairly cool magical world, journeys of exploration to new continents, naval battles, pikes and flintlock guns!).

Anyone else read this?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Time to post about my favorite fantasy series that nobody has read: The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney.

It's a flintlock fantasy series (even though they use matchlocks) set in a Western Europe equivalent, where the Muslims are doing much better in the circa 1500s religious wars. The book begins with the destruction of the equivalent of Vienna, and in the vacuum the Western church uses the chaos to start purging magic users (which they see as violating the precepts of their religion). It's a pretty expansive military series, which also includes a fairly cool magical world, journeys of exploration to new continents, naval battles, pikes and flintlock guns!).

Anyone else read this?

I'd never even heard of this and apparently it came out during the period when I read all kinds of fantasy, even horrible dumb poo poo like Forgotten Realms novels. Anyway I've marked it as something to check out, thanks!

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Anyone else read this?

I read the first one when it came out - was it the one with the fleeing ship heading to north america in a st brennan / mayflower ish journey?

i hadn't thought of it since but i've just bought the first one for 3.49 on the kindle.

Thanks!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

branedotorg posted:

I read the first one when it came out - was it the one with the fleeing ship heading to north america in a st brennan / mayflower ish journey?

i hadn't thought of it since but i've just bought the first one for 3.49 on the kindle.

Thanks!

Yes -- one of the kings gathers many of his magic users and sends them on a ship to a fabled new continent. (I won't spoil what happens, but it is not what you'd expect)

There's a couple 'main' POV characters:

* A soldier who fled the sack of his city by the foreign invaders and continues fighting against them
* The soldiers wife who is captured, enslaved, and becomes part of the sultan's harem
* A monk who is located in the Western religion's religious capital and is doing research
* A ship captain/pirate who is fleeing the religious wars to find a new continent
* A mage who travels with him and is trying to find sanctuary
* A leader of the Western faith who sees the religious wars as a way to seize power
* A young king who wants to free his country from the yoke of religious authority

The setting also has some interesting conflicts between magic, which represents 'older' technology, and the growth of religious faith/modernism and how they come into conflict. One thing I especially like is the exploration of the religious conflict is sophisticated and nuanced, and isn't just "Christianity-equivalent good! Muslim-equivalent bad!" and that most people involved in large scale conflicts are simple, uneducated peasants who don't really give a poo poo about political boundaries, and how their experiences are different than professional soldiers.

The specific military technology is flintlock pistols and pikes, with cannons and primitive mortars.

here's the first omnibus (first 2 books) for $5.38 https://www.amazon.com/Hawkwood-Kin...=gateway&sr=8-1
and the second (last 3 books) for https://www.amazon.com/Century-Sold...0Z9X74E7RWM4ERX $5.38 as well

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 15, 2019

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

The Book Barn › The SF&F Thread: so disappointed with the series I didn't make it past book 6

For me, this is true for so many books I wouldn't admit to reading in polite company.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Jedit posted:

This would be a good GRRM thread title.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Jedit posted:

The Book Barn > The SF&F Thread: so disappointed with the series I didn't make it past book 6

Make that series > author and book > chapter(or honestly 'page' if it's a Brust book) and that's extremely accurate for me.

Anyway, Bauchelian and Korbal Broach + Emancipor Reese remain the most re-readable Malazan series stories for me. Something about those gay murderhobos, the three stooges of murder, the marx(ed for death) brothers of demonic-necromantic hijinks, whose deaths will be epic and quite deserved, etc.

HBO is doing a Chernobyl series. Adam Higginbotham's Midnight in Chernobyl was pretty good and covered the underlying issues with Russian command economy, the two dueling Russian nuclear power programs, and the selection + construction process that had 4 nuclear power plants half-assedly built 10 kilometers away from the village of Pripiat.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
ah yes, that fantasy classic Midnight in Chernobyl

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kinda was, if you read the book and get to the USSR fantasy command economy vs USSR economic reality, then all the nuke reactor technical specs + advisories for the 4 reactors at Chernobyl being locked down in ultra-secret clearances that nobody at the Chernobyl power complex ever knew existed (or even saw until the 1987 Chernobyl trials). Luckily most of that is mentioned in the first 70 pages of the book if you just wanna watch the HBO series instead of reading the rest of the book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Kinda was, if you read the book and get to the USSR fantasy command economy vs USSR economic reality, then all the nuke reactor technical specs + advisories for the 4 reactors at Chernobyl being locked down in ultra-secret clearances that nobody at the Chernobyl power complex ever knew existed (or even saw until the 1987 Chernobyl trials). Luckily most of that is mentioned in the first 70 pages of the book if you just wanna watch the HBO series instead of reading the rest of the book.

I'm okay with this category creep if it means we can talk about Red Plenty in here and hell why not the book it was based on which I can't remember the title of but was a nonfiction study of Soviet planning from 1948 - 1963 or thereabouts ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Neurosis posted:

I'm okay with this category creep if it means we can talk about Red Plenty in here and hell why not the book it was based on which I can't remember the title of but was a nonfiction study of Soviet planning from 1948 - 1963 or thereabouts ^^

No idea what Red Plenty is, honestly.
Do know, however, that Mack Reynolds wrote a bunch of short stories in the scifi genre where the official USSR command economy statistics were taken at face value, and therefore feel very 'what-if?'-ish or cartoony for a modern reader. Mack Reynolds as I've stated before (in this thread) was one of the earliest scifi authors/literal hardcore socialist badasses to feature socialism/racism/class conflict in any nuance during the Cold War era, which makes it sad that no-one really remembers Mack Reynolds existed.