Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Getting a female Salandit with a decent nature definitely made me want to stop someone's face, that's for sure.

Honestly? After the whole budew debacle I found breeding one of those and a Vespiquen downright soothing in comparison. I mean yeah I got a flawless pair of rose babies out of it but part of my soul died in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Honestly? After the whole budew debacle I found breeding one of those and a Vespiquen downright soothing in comparison. I mean yeah I got a flawless pair of rose babies out of it but part of my soul died in the process.

Budew debacle?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh jeez you didn't hear that story huh? Want me to go dig it up for ya? For the record I'm a breeder and it details the most nightmarish month and half long breeding session I've ever endured.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

To make it harder to breed more of them without a ditto.

It's this. Starters and Eevees are meant to be rare and starters at least are quite strong, especially early in the game. If you have a male starter, you have to wait until you get a Ditto to start breeding from it, which is usually a fair way into the game. If you get a female one, you can start breeding as many as you like the second you get a male Pokemon of the same egg group. This unbalances the early game a fair bit so they have a high male:female ratio (7:1) so it's difficult but not impossible to get a girl one. I'm of the personal opinion that the long time between "being able to save your game" and "being able to actually pick your starter" in Sun and Moon especially is also an attempt to stop people soft-resetting over and over until they get a shiny/female/shiny female starter.

Interesting note aside, in G2 shininess and gender were determined by the same random number value meaning you couldn't actually get a female shiny of Pokemon with a 7:1 male:female ratio. (In theory if there were 7:1 female:male Pokemon in G2 you wouldn't have been able to get a male shiny of that species, but there were no 7:1 female:male species at the time.) This has since changed so now it's perfectly possible to get a girl autumn leaf Chikorita.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1128172705260494848

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's this. Starters and Eevees are meant to be rare and starters at least are quite strong, especially early in the game. If you have a male starter, you have to wait until you get a Ditto to start breeding from it, which is usually a fair way into the game. If you get a female one, you can start breeding as many as you like the second you get a male Pokemon of the same egg group. This unbalances the early game a fair bit so they have a high male:female ratio (7:1) so it's difficult but not impossible to get a girl one.

Alright that makes sense. Though they kinda messed it up in gen 7 by having Eevee being catchable in the wild (though now I can at least get them in matching balls easier). And I know HGSS has Ditto's right next to the day care right near the start of the game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RatHat posted:

Is that where you trade 2 Pokemon and some teleporter accident combines them into a horrible abomination? Basically Pokemon Fusion but ingame.

It was a warp digivolve joke.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The Detective Pikachu twist is kind of guessable by reading a one paragraph summary of the plot. It's not the most shocking.

Yeah... I know. I got it from the first trailer. I was just saying the game is not being subtle at all about the foreshadowing. That's all.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Not shocking, though I kinda doubt it because they could’ve just reused the original design.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I can see that not making it to the games. It looks kinda crazy complex for what pokemon are, and on top of that, it's not simply another Mewtwo model, it seems to be actual detachable models for Mewtwo, so the game would have to redo this wacky thing all over as a single model if it were to be included.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I've got two gym badges in X now, and so far I think Alpha Sapphire was a much better game. But X has like three times as many Pokemon, I keep running into new Pokemon all the goddamn time. So big points for that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, I can see that not making it to the games. It looks kinda crazy complex for what pokemon are, and on top of that, it's not simply another Mewtwo model, it seems to be actual detachable models for Mewtwo, so the game would have to redo this wacky thing all over as a single model if it were to be included.

Plus in lore terms, it's supposed to make Mewtwo weaker, so it doesn't make a lot of sense if it's supposed to essentially be Mega Mewtwo Z. I guess an in-game implementation might be that it reduces Special Attack and Speed while boosting Defense and Special Defense and making it Psychic/Steel instead of pure Psychic, and you don't use up your Mega Evolution slot the way MMX and MMY do.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I've got two gym badges in X now, and so far I think Alpha Sapphire was a much better game. But X has like three times as many Pokemon, I keep running into new Pokemon all the goddamn time. So big points for that

Im also playing Y right after OR. This definitely feels true. Especially when I tried to Gold star the dexnav for the first half of OR, there were lots of repeat Pokemon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Plus in lore terms, it's supposed to make Mewtwo weaker, so it doesn't make a lot of sense if it's supposed to essentially be Mega Mewtwo Z. I guess an in-game implementation might be that it reduces Special Attack and Speed while boosting Defense and Special Defense and making it Psychic/Steel instead of pure Psychic, and you don't use up your Mega Evolution slot the way MMX and MMY do.

If we're talking about the Mewtwo armor in the the first movie, the armor "focused" his psychic power. Whatever that means. No idea how it would translate to game mechanics either.

If that's not what we're talking about, then I got nothing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Silver Falcon posted:

If we're talking about the Mewtwo armor in the the first movie, the armor "focused" his psychic power. Whatever that means. No idea how it would translate to game mechanics either.

Focused it so he didn't loving murder them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Silver Falcon posted:

Giovanni lied. He told Mewtwo it was a “focus” but all it really did was weaken Mewtwo while he used it as a tool. When it found out, it blew the armor to bits and flew off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Im also playing Y right after OR. This definitely feels true. Especially when I tried to Gold star the dexnav for the first half of OR, there were lots of repeat Pokemon.

I have my issues with XY, but that wild pokemon roster is crazy fun. Just so much to go around, it does make it a bit hard to go to previous games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Giovanni lied. He told Mewtwo it was a “focus” but all it really did was weaken Mewtwo while he used it as a tool. When it found out, it blew the armor to bits and flew off.

:psyduck: Oooooookay that was definitely not in the movie.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

:psyduck: Oooooookay that was definitely not in the movie.

That was explicitly in the movie

quote:

Giovanni: Trust me, and I'll show you a way to focus your powers that will make you invincible.
Mewtwo: Show me! [Mewtwo is shown being suited up in armor] You say this armor protects my body, yet it suppresses my powers.
Giovanni: Your powers are not being suppressed, they're being focused. Learn to use them to accomplish your purpose.
Mewtwo: What is that?
Giovanni: Patience, my friend. Your purpose will become clear.
Mewtwo: [Mewtwo is put on a battlefield, while Giovanni snaps his fingers and Mewtwo easily beats an Onix] So, this is my power. [a group of Tauros stampede towards Mewtwo but he lifts up them using his psychic powers while Team Rocket grunts capture them] I am in control now. [continues fighting Pokémon, still winning each battle easily] But why am I here? [later] Now I fully perceive my power. But, what is my purpose?
Giovanni: To serve your master. You were created to fight for me. That is your purpose.
Mewtwo: [outraged] That cannot be. You said we were partners. We stood as equals.
Giovanni: You were created by humans to obey humans. You could never be our equal.

Once Giovanni spells out the plan and tries to use the armor to subdue Mewtwo it blows the armor off and almost collapses the area while flying away.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

In G7 we got one, not two, but three sexy femdoms who will stomp on your face and call you a sick gently caress!

I'm surprised and a little guilty that I was immediately able to guess what three you were talking about. although aren't we all technically pokemon paypigs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Nasgate posted:

this is wild to me, I thought AS was one of the worst pokemon games. it was so plodding and uninteresting until the postgame. plus I've never really been a fan of gen 2 or 3 pokemon so doing the thing where you only have new mons on your team kinda dampened my enthusiasm

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I kinda thought the alleged domminess of Tsareena was exaggerated but then I saw that Steenee evolves into it specifically if it levels up knowing Stomp. :negative:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I kinda thought the alleged domminess of Tsareena was exaggerated but then I saw that Steenee evolves into it specifically if it levels up knowing Stomp. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAfvL-JKvDk

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

another question I have about the games' general design decisions is why do they put access to fresh water after the second or third gym at the earliest when grinding isn't nearly as tedious or important? even just reducing potion cost to 150 would be wonderful when you have no money and don't want to run back to the pokecenter after every other battle

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zore posted:

That was explicitly in the movie

Once Giovanni spells out the plan and tries to use the armor to subdue Mewtwo it blows the armor off and almost collapses the area while flying away.

That's the opposite of explicit. He never outright says "Hahaha you fool that armor actually supresses your powers!"

Implicitly, sure, that's what's going on, but I think it's quite easy to not entirely get what's going on, considering how old the movie is and how long it's been since I've seen it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm playing Black right now and I feel like my team is made of glass. Currently around the lvl 35 mark, with:

Simisear
    Oshawott
    Pidove
    Boldore
    Swoobat
    Scraggy

Did I just pick a team with really low defense?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Farecoal posted:

I'm playing Black right now and I feel like my team is made of glass. Currently around the lvl 35 mark, with:

Simisear
    Oshawott
    Pidove
    Boldore
    Swoobat
    Scraggy

Did I just pick a team with really low defense?

Well, apart from your crippling weakness to rock, Boldore/Gigalith and Scrafty have good defenses. Simisear, Swoobat, and Pidove won’t take you very far, sadly; they’re just not very good

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow the Ultra Beast worlds are really well done, they even made unique music for them. I’m a bit skeptical about a single Guzzlord ruining a whole planet though.

Also am I the only one who finds Celesteela to be the creepiest UB? That long thin neck really creeps me out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RatHat posted:

Also am I the only one who finds Celesteela to be the creepiest UB? That long thin neck really creeps me out.

She's like the ghost of the Challenger Space Shuttle mixed with the fairy tale of the Bamboo Princess. And (because of the former) she's the tallest Pokemon of all at 10 meters tall. So yeah, definitively intended to be creepy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, Mega Steelix and Mega Rayquaza(stretched out), and Alolan Exeggutor are slightly taller.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

thetoughestbean posted:

Well, apart from your crippling weakness to rock, Boldore/Gigalith and Scrafty have good defenses. Simisear, Swoobat, and Pidove won’t take you very far, sadly; they’re just not very good

Is Darumaka any good? The only other fire type I have access to is Litwick

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yes it evolves into a really good fire type.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Darumaka is a god and if you pick it up when first available, it melts the gym that's around it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RatHat posted:

Wow the Ultra Beast worlds are really well done, they even made unique music for them. I’m a bit skeptical about a single Guzzlord ruining a whole planet though.

It didn't, if you talk to the NPC you get the backstory: humans ruined the planet, the Guzzlord is just eating the scraps left behind.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It didn't, if you talk to the NPC you get the backstory: humans ruined the planet, the Guzzlord is just eating the scraps left behind.

Yeah you’re right, and there are more than one Guzzlord. Seems like they’re used as living garbage disposals.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Farecoal posted:

It evolves into a physical powerhouse that can beat down most opponents. That said, its defenses are terrible, so don’t think that it will last if the battle goes too long.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Farecoal posted:

Almost all fire-types have bad defenses, so you want to focus on ones with good offense instead. As the thread has said, Darumaka and Darmanitan are pretty strong

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I should make a list of the anime's stock plots. There's a lot of them, and sometimes they're used in combination with each other (and of course with the basic character-of-the-day stock plot).

• Ash and friends are lost in a forest (not even a particular forest from the games, just a generic forest).
  • Ancient ruins (possibly with an associated prophecy) contain a secret involving powerful ancient Pokemon, which usually awaken and go on a rampage. (I like how the anime writers eventually parodied their own stock plot in "Claydol Big and Tall.")
  • A small Pokemon is turned kaiju-sized by mad science.
  • Everybody gets separated (usually due to one of Team Rocket's schemes backfiring), leading to random team-ups (e.g., Pikachu has to work together with Meowth).
  • A wealthy woman's Pokemon runs away because it prefers going on adventures to being pampered.
  • Two groups of Pokemon (often split evolutions) dislike each other for reasons that are never really explained.
  • Our heroes arrive in a town just when it's having its annual festival.
  • Humans are disrupting some Pokemon's habitat, leading the Pokemon to wreak havoc, but the humans change their way and become environmentally conscious after being lectured by the twerps.
  • A Romeo and Juliet pastiche (forbidden love between Pokemon whose trainers or families don't get along). Weirdly enough, I don't think I've seen any episodes based on other Shakespeare plays (unless "Love, Petalburg Style" counts as based on Much Ado About Nothing, which is a stretch); it's always Romeo and Juliet.
  • Team Rocket convinces a rather stupid person or Pokemon that they're the good guys and the twerps are the bad guys.
  • Ash meets a member of the Elite Four who defeats and/or lectures him, and he realizes he has a long way to go before he reaches their level. (Rather annoyingly, this is pretty much the only context in which Elite Four members other than Lance appear. Lance saves the day in two-parters right before the seventh gym instead.)

Any I've missed?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I should make a list of the anime's stock plots. There's a lot of them, and sometimes they're used in combination with each other (and of course with the basic character-of-the-day stock plot).

• Ash and friends are lost in a forest (not even a particular forest from the games, just a generic forest).
  • Ancient ruins (possibly with an associated prophecy) contain a secret involving powerful ancient Pokemon, which usually awaken and go on a rampage. (I like how the anime writers eventually parodied their own stock plot in "Claydol Big and Tall.")
  • A small Pokemon is turned kaiju-sized by mad science.
  • Everybody gets separated (usually due to one of Team Rocket's schemes backfiring), leading to random team-ups (e.g., Pikachu has to work together with Meowth).
  • A wealthy woman's Pokemon runs away because it prefers going on adventures to being pampered.
  • Two groups of Pokemon (often split evolutions) dislike each other for reasons that are never really explained.
  • Our heroes arrive in a town just when it's having its annual festival.
  • Humans are disrupting some Pokemon's habitat, leading the Pokemon to wreak havoc, but the humans change their way and become environmentally conscious after being lectured by the twerps.
  • A Romeo and Juliet pastiche (forbidden love between Pokemon whose trainers or families don't get along). Weirdly enough, I don't think I've seen any episodes based on other Shakespeare plays (unless "Love, Petalburg Style" counts as based on Much Ado About Nothing, which is a stretch); it's always Romeo and Juliet.
  • Team Rocket convinces a rather stupid person or Pokemon that they're the good guys and the twerps are the bad guys.
  • Ash meets a member of the Elite Four who defeats and/or lectures him, and he realizes he has a long way to go before he reaches their level. (Rather annoyingly, this is pretty much the only context in which Elite Four members other than Lance appear. Lance saves the day in two-parters right before the seventh gym instead.)

Any I've missed?

I think Kid Is Too Shy To Adventure Needs Ash To Teach Him How To Be Brave is somewhat common?

My favorite thing of Sun and Moon is that there's, like, two of the plots from that list, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1128347346721337344