Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New paint bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

BULBASAUR posted:

whatchya nerds arguing about today

The same thing as every day, nothing of consequence.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hustlin Floh posted:

New paint bad

Kinda surprised GW didn't take it a step further and get people onboard with zenithal priming. Fast results with their new glazes and they coulda sold people extra primer colors.

e: here's the guide for new people, I mixed the green paint to make it basically the same consistency as the new glaze product
https://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 14, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BULBASAUR posted:

whatchya nerds arguing about today

weird new paints bud how you doin

Hustlin Floh posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40,000: New paint bad

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What if, new paint actually good?

When do I get to order me some hovercraft?

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I don't have a horse in this fight, but literally the same effect can be reached using current GW products.

These are a friends he painted in January. He's not a two thin coats kind of guy and did these quickly to knock out troops to a battle ready standard.

his recipe for the skin:
(using gloss washes)
"Prime white. Wash with 70/30 drakenhoff nightshade (and agrax). Wash with straight agrax"

If he can do the same thing even faster, he's gonna be happy (and already plans on getting the whole set).

My thought is that you can already get rattlecans of satin primer/spray paint at box stores, and could probably get the same effect nearly as fast using inks and washes available from other companies. The big difference here is that GW is incorporating it into their painting system and providing all the materials and instructions to do this easily (along with their unique paint formula).

Skails fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 14, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Credit for y'all's incredibly stupid derail being somehow on topic for a change.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am excited for the new paints because I am a lovely painter who is too lazy and stupid to try harder, the perfect demographic to target.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

But enough about your Infinity models
:vince: Hahaha, well-played, sir, well-played.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
new paints good

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I for one am disappointed by how limited a showing the new Sisters of Battle had. I wonder how much money you'll have to spend to get that preview model.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am excited for the new paints because I am a lovely painter who is too lazy and stupid to try harder, the perfect demographic to target.

Same here. I mean I am also in the cusp of just quitting the hobby and am only staying on to possibly get some Sisters of Battle, so anything to help me cut down on painting time would make me staying a more sure thing.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Gaussian posted:

I for one am disappointed by how limited a showing the new Sisters of Battle had. I wonder how much money you'll have to spend to get that preview model.

The army isn't releasing until the end of the year at the very earliest, what exactly is your complaint? They can't develop an entirely new line fast enough?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Booley posted:

The army isn't releasing until the end of the year at the very earliest, what exactly is your complaint? They can't develop an entirely new line fast enough?

I was just hoping that they were further along, that's all. I guess I just wanted a "just one more thing" type reveal. I'm still going to buy them!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Gaussian posted:

I was just hoping that they were further along, that's all. I guess I just wanted a "just one more thing" type reveal. I'm still going to buy them!

They were announced as "emperor willing we'll have them in 2019". With a statement like that I'd be surprised to see an announcement in november of 2019, much less in may.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
It’s not that I dislike the Admech hovertank/troop barge thing it’s just... I wish it were weirder? This is the army of spider tanks and whatever the gently caress Sydonian amputee gimp mounted ostrich mechs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It’s not that I dislike the Admech hovertank/troop barge thing it’s just... I wish it were weirder? This is the army of spider tanks and whatever the gently caress Sydonian amputee gimp mounted ostrich mechs.

It’s pretty dope. Really like that it stands out and they didn’t just use the rhino.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's a fair point. I really like it, but I wouldn't mind if it was weirder. There is a slight dichotomy in the army, where some of it is just "big rear end robot" and the other parts are body-horror cyborgs.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I would've liked it a lot more for the Imperial Guard.

It's open-top specifically so they can die en masse before they ever get a chance to shoot, that's so Guard.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is literally a back to front Rhino with hover skirts. And yeah, every deployment is the start of Saving Private Ryan for the Skitarii, and that's how they like it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Of course the first thing someone did was to photoshop dunecrawler legs onto the tank.
Which barely works I think.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

new paints good

"New paint bad
New paint good
New paint do stuff that ya paint wish she could
New paint bad
New paint good
New paint do stuff that ya paint wish she could
New paint bad, badder than yours
My new paint bad, badder than yours
My my new paint bad, badder than yours
My new paint bad, badder than yours
Ride or die paint with a pocket full of relish
GW fetish keep me fresh like lettuce
Bitches get jealous cause I'm quite cocky
Since fourteen ain't nah hoes stop me
Money I get it, on the sprues I spend it
That’s why the credit cards don't come with no limits
Y'all just don't get it, an army with no tenets
Walk through painted closets like I’m walking outta limits
Now that’s swagger on a hundred thousand trillion
Row of painted minis and they all look Golden Demon"
-Ludacris

crazystray fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 14, 2019

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Seldom Posts posted:

It's a fair point. I really like it, but I wouldn't mind if it was weirder. There is a slight dichotomy in the army, where some of it is just "big rear end robot" and the other parts are body-horror cyborgs.

Some of the pre-codex fluff has really good descriptions of skitarii that I guess look sort of like roided out terrifyingly gaudy ruststalkers, covered in plumage and quills and weapon limbs etc. What I'm saying is I don't need more projects but I would love some properly decked out magos' private reserve skitarii.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cooked Auto posted:

Of course the first thing someone did was to photoshop dunecrawler legs onto the tank.
Which barely works I think.

I saw three of these on the first day and those mockups were the only thing I didn't like related to the Higginscraft.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Have my soulless ninja assassin.

Re:Paintchat

This guy was done according to the Alpha Legion tutorial posted earlier and he is massively more complex than metallic + wash.

Steps are:
1. Basecoat Leadbelcher
2. Highlight VMA Steel
3. Highlight VMC Silver
4. Wash Gulliman Blue
5. Wash Gulliman Blue
6. Wash Waywatcher Green
7. Wash Gulliman Blue

If there is a way of compressing it into even 3 steps (metal, blue, green) then its already a massive saving on effort.

Edit - Thumbnailed image which was massive - sorry.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 14, 2019

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eSportseXpert posted:

Some of the pre-codex fluff has really good descriptions of skitarii that I guess look sort of like roided out terrifyingly gaudy ruststalkers, covered in plumage and quills and weapon limbs etc. What I'm saying is I don't need more projects but I would love some properly decked out magos' private reserve skitarii.

That does sound cool, and I, like most ad mech players, have a ton of extra tech priests laying around for conversions. Where would I look for this fluff?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I wouldn't mind possibly some heavier armor Skitarii all embellished like some robo-landsknecht a-la the ones in Abnett's Titanicus.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I leapt head first back inti 40k and forgot my primer. Is Citadel Chaos Black spray worth it or should I look elsewhere?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Seldom Posts posted:

That does sound cool, and I, like most ad mech players, have a ton of extra tech priests laying around for conversions. Where would I look for this fluff?

Titanicus, by Dan Abnett. He writes the Skitarii as roided-up techno-barbarians who are big on visual display, as mentioned above.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

I leapt head first back inti 40k and forgot my primer. Is Citadel Chaos Black spray worth it or should I look elsewhere?

If you're in the UK buy Halfords Spray Primer. Cheaper and better.

GW coloured sprays I've used are good though - Zandri Dust and Leadbelcher.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Chaos black is good

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Titanicus, by Dan Abnett. He writes the Skitarii as roided-up techno-barbarians who are big on visual display, as mentioned above.

Thanks.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hell yes, thread is now about the best assassin. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

And yeah, every deployment is the start of Saving Private Ryan for the Skitarii, and that's how they like it.

You know what it needs for use by the Imperial Guard?

A giant hydraulic ram, like a garbage truck in reverse. Just force those troopers out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cessna posted:

You know what it needs for use by the Imperial Guard?

A giant hydraulic ram, like a garbage truck in reverse. Just force those troopers out.

That's being very generous.

If it was for the Guard, the squad would all be pushing it from the back, being sniped at. As it finally makes it to the front line, the last guardsman topples, and an untouched, empty transport is left.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Z the IVth posted:

Have my soulless ninja assassin.

Re:Paintchat

This guy was done according to the Alpha Legion tutorial posted earlier and he is massively more complex than metallic + wash.

Steps are:
1. Basecoat Leadbelcher
2. Highlight VMA Steel
3. Highlight VMC Silver
4. Wash Gulliman Blue
5. Wash Gulliman Blue
6. Wash Waywatcher Green
7. Wash Gulliman Blue

If there is a way of compressing it into even 3 steps (metal, blue, green) then its already a massive saving on effort.

Edit - Thumbnailed image which was massive - sorry.

You can do very easily this by: 1. prime black, 2. spray silver, 3. spray tamiya clear blue + clear green mixture.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Riatsala posted:

The black is very expensive Vs Halfords car primer, but their coloured sprays are better value as they prime too and give you a good base colour which saves a step. Leadbelcher spray for example is a lifesaver for things like Knights.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Halfords Matt Black for black, their white primer for white (don't prime white!) and GW for colours is my preference for spray undercoat.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Lungboy posted:

The black is very expensive Vs Halfords car primer, but their coloured sprays are better value as they prime too and give you a good base colour which saves a step. Leadbelcher spray for example is a lifesaver for things like Knights.

It's a strange day when Halfords is the cheaper option than, well, anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's also about quality, GW white has always tended to be a bit poo poo (all white spray UC is poo poo to some extent), and halfords matt black is just gorgeous.