Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Live study stick figures from the lakeside the past week. I think I'm already seeing some improvements in terms of capturing motion and stuff when you compare the first picture (4th of May) to the second (12th of May)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah! It's such a good way to improve, and you get to exercise your MAGIC PSYCHIC POWER to make people move just by starting to draw them.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

That came out really sweet. The gouache highlights is how you are supposed to do it, it is far from cheating such as using a white uni-ball signo gel pen. At least the gouache is water based.
I was wondering how you got the layering done on the black and still got the stripes color so nice. The shadows are cool too. This one is enjoyable and I look forward to your future postings here.

This weekend was a motorcycle trip with my brother to Germany and I have some little chapel in the works that should be done in a few days. For now, here is a super fast thing I did while waiting for dinner. Amazing how low standards are for people to be all like "ZOMG THAT IS AMAZING"

Keetron posted:

I went into the store for a tube of indigo blue and left with a 45EU brush among other stuff (did not forget the indigo blue).
Came back from the motorcycle trip to see my brushes all over my desk, I suspect my 5yo...

Colored in the chapel

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 12, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keeping up the good fight against noses. I'd forgotten how much I adore drawing in charcoal, I've not enjoyed just drawing so much for a while. :haw:

e: Anyone have any advice for large-scale pencil drawing? The first pic shows my lack of success on that front.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Charcoal pencils, imo. But it looks like you are using them already?

I prefer them over graphite pencils for larger media. Another thing you can try that I enjoy greatly for animal figure studies are brush pens and water pens. You can always draw over them in a regular pen once they dry, too.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That was just normal charcoal, heads 2-5. I do have a charcoal pencil, but whenever I could use it, I forget it exists.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I've always liked using the woodless graphite pencils for large drawings. Usually on the softer side, like 4B or 6B. Using the side of the pencil, it lets me lay down really thick lines that gets more and more defined as I progress on the drawing. You just have to be careful not to drop them, because they'll snap into two or three pieces if they land on a hard floor.

More dry erase board drawings:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

That came out really sweet. The gouache highlights is how you are supposed to do it, it is far from cheating such as using a white uni-ball signo gel pen. At least the gouache is water based.
I was wondering how you got the layering done on the black and still got the stripes color so nice. The shadows are cool too. This one is enjoyable and I look forward to your future postings here.

This weekend was a motorcycle trip with my brother to Germany and I have some little chapel in the works that should be done in a few days. For now, here is a super fast thing I did while waiting for dinner. Amazing how low standards are for people to be all like "ZOMG THAT IS AMAZING"

Came back from the motorcycle trip to see my brushes all over my desk, I suspect my 5yo...

Colored in the chapel

The short answer was patience and using the black to cover up the mess. I used plain water on the whole torso of the frog and then dabbed the colours at each end. I let it do as much as I could by itself, and used yellow to try to blend between the green and orange. I only think it worked because the orange and green I used were not very opaque and the yellow was a common base colour between the two so it didn't produce an overt "edge" between the colours despite using wood paper. Even then I had to move the paint around a bit while it was sitting on the surface to stop it separating. The untidiest bits I tried to move under where I knew the black stripes were going to be. Then I let the whole thing dry out naturally (no hairdryer). Then I used ivory black for the stripes. It took 2 coats (waited until the first coat was dry) to get that dark. It's pretty opaque to start with (Windsor and Newton Cotman ivory black). Very hard to use in mixtures with anything else as it's overpowering, bit if you need a deep black, you get it. Then highlights with the white to help make the black look like shiny wet frog skin rather than just a flat black slab.

If I did it again I'd be braver with the black. Faster brush strokes would probably have helped make it less wobbly.

heavy liquid posted:

I've always liked using the woodless graphite pencils for large drawings. Usually on the softer side, like 4B or 6B. Using the side of the pencil, it lets me lay down really thick lines that gets more and more defined as I progress on the drawing. You just have to be careful not to drop them, because they'll snap into two or three pieces if they land on a hard floor.

More dry erase board drawings:

I haven't watched that show since cartoon network at least 20 years ago but the themesong started playing on my head. Good job

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok not a daily exactly

could use some critique since i shitload of time on it

Al! fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 13, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

The short answer was patience and using the black to cover up the mess. I used plain water on the whole torso of the frog and then dabbed the colours at each end. I let it do as much as I could by itself, and used yellow to try to blend between the green and orange. I only think it worked because the orange and green I used were not very opaque and the yellow was a common base colour between the two so it didn't produce an overt "edge" between the colours despite using wood paper. Even then I had to move the paint around a bit while it was sitting on the surface to stop it separating. The untidiest bits I tried to move under where I knew the black stripes were going to be. Then I let the whole thing dry out naturally (no hairdryer). Then I used ivory black for the stripes. It took 2 coats (waited until the first coat was dry) to get that dark. It's pretty opaque to start with (Windsor and Newton Cotman ivory black). Very hard to use in mixtures with anything else as it's overpowering, bit if you need a deep black, you get it. Then highlights with the white to help make the black look like shiny wet frog skin rather than just a flat black slab.

Thanks for the insight, especially the explanation on the deep black. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to cover something like you did.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Al! posted:

Nice! For a critique, the main issue I see is I'm not sure what you want me to focus on in the drawing. Usually your focus will have the most detail and lighting. If I squint my eyes at your painting, I focus on the windows which is the brightest thing in your painting. I also cant tell what the green object is in the center of your image. If that is your focus, I'd lighten it up a bit with some of the light from the windows shining onto it, because it pretty much disappears into the background if you squint at the painting.

Ze barn owl

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dig that face.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Al! posted:

ok not a daily exactly

I started writing a bunch of detail-related points, but I think Heavy Liquid was bang on about the main problem being focus. Usually your composition and storytelling are really good, I think you've lost sight of that on this pic. It feels like it's pointing my attention at the family(?) in the lit windows, but then not saying anything about them.

I'm not sure what I'd suggest to fix it, honestly. I feel bad just being all 'nah, mate' and not offering suggestions, but to me it feels like the basic concept isn't working on this one. More thumbnailing in future? (Always more thumbnailing in future.)

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

heavy liquid posted:

Ze barn owl

They're so weird looking. I heard somewhere people think barn owls are the source of the Flatwoods Monster cryptid and I can see it.

I'm not so great at cartoony styles or line art. So I chose some axolotls since they're basically irl cartoons already.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have access to a proper scanner today so here's my frog, scanned instead of a phone camera picture of it:

Also I did a test of the way the colours blend on cotton paper here. Much, much easier than on the Strathmore paper. It was quick to do too. I really like watercolour.

The other thing I noticed was that the Windsor and Newton cotton book paper still warps like the Strathmore, but once dried the warp goes away almost completely, unlike the Strathmore. Closing the book presses it flat and keeps it that way in a way the wood pulp doesn't. Though I found a trick that helps: gently curl the wood paper a little bit towards the side that doesn't have the picture on it and stroke the inside of the curve a bit. It kind of stretches the paper back to a more flat shape. Works better on the cotton paper too.

Long story short, I'm going to use the Strathmore just because I have it, and for unblended basic stuff it'll do the job, but it's cotton all the way for me from now on.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 13, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Also I did a test of the way the colours blend on cotton paper here. Much, much easier than on the Strathmore paper. It was quick to do too. I really like watercolour.
Happy to hear that! Yesterday I was working on a ladybug and some abstract galaxy thing in watercolour and it is just so very satisfying and visually pleasing.

Carth Dookie posted:

Long story short, I'm going to use the Strathmore just because I have it, and for unblended basic stuff it'll do the job, but it's cotton all the way for me from now on.
Hell yeah. Now go and mess with reactivating and/or lifting colours that dried up, but only if you want to do so.

About the warping, I just use painters tape to affix a sheet to a piece of hardboard even tho if you go really wet any paper will warp simply because it expands. On youtube I saw someone who just soaked his paper in the sink for a while before using it so they could go all wet-on-wet :wink:
Protip: have a few pieces of hardboard and work on multiple pieces at the same time so they can take turns drying and you don't have to reactive your paints every time.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If warping is an issue, you need to stretch your paper - the person you saw wetting their paper was doing that. You wet it thoroughly, then use wet-gum tape to tape it to a board. As it dries and shrinks it stays stretched like a canvas, and will dry non-buckled from future wettings.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm using a visual journal type thing:

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/winsor-newton-hard-bound-water-colour-visual-journals

so wetting it and sticking it to a board isn't really an option. It's not a problem per se, just something I noticed. The windsor and newton stuff dries flat anyway so its not a big deal, and the strathmore journal is getting repurposed for more basic paintings/scribbles.

Eventually when I start doing the occasional big piece I'll look around. I like having stuff neatly contained in a book/journal though.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

I have access to a proper scanner today so here's my frog, scanned instead of a phone camera picture of it:

It's pretty crazy how different the colors are between the scanned frog and the phone pic. Would you say the scanned image is closer to the true painting?
I've noticed that when I take pictures of my drawings, they can drastically change depending if I'm taking the picture in direct sunlight, shade, time of day, incandescent vs. florescent light, etc.

Hyenas are weird and creepy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

White balance on cameras is an rear end in a top hat.

Last night I went to 'circus robotica', one of the local drawing circus events. Basically, a bunch of models in thematic semi-costumes do creepy-circus stories (think Carnivale but with less clothes) and pause mid-story for you to draw. tl:dr, I love this loving batshit city.

<- my favourite

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

heavy liquid posted:

It's pretty crazy how different the colors are between the scanned frog and the phone pic. Would you say the scanned image is closer to the true painting?
I've noticed that when I take pictures of my drawings, they can drastically change depending if I'm taking the picture in direct sunlight, shade, time of day, incandescent vs. florescent light, etc.

Hyenas are weird and creepy.

I'd say so. I took the photo inside under a yellowish light so that put a wash on it that wasn't there. The scan is closer if a bit more vivid and sharp than it actually is. I think some of the tiny shadows caused by the paper texture is lost in the scan. The colours are close though.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I tried krita after all these years..though i'm gonna ink the rest in csp

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

That was fun, I'll prolly make more

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You should. A night sky/nebula is something I definitely want to do and may end up being one of my "big" paintings once I have more practice.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

:swoon:

lofi posted:

Last night I went to 'circus robotica', one of the local drawing circus events. Basically, a bunch of models in thematic semi-costumes do creepy-circus stories (think Carnivale but with less clothes) and pause mid-story for you to draw. tl:dr, I love this loving batshit city.

Wtf. That's insane! And great! Casually dropping "local drawing circus event" as if this is just something we all obviously do in a bigger way in bigger cities and this was just your local drawing circus, for local people. I'm so baffled and jealous. You got so much done, too. I dunno who this beardo is but I wanna be bffs with him.

Keetron posted:

That was fun, I'll prolly make more

Aaaaaah so pretty! Turned out fabulous.

I never took this further 'cause ehhhhhn not feeling it

They told me to go fast..

They never told me where I'd end up.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Wtf. That's insane! And great! Casually dropping "local drawing circus event" as if this is just something we all obviously do in a bigger way in bigger cities and this was just your local drawing circus, for local people. I'm so baffled and jealous. You got so much done, too. I dunno who this beardo is but I wanna be bffs with him.

I know, right? They had an all-day event a couple of years back, with a bunch of models doing long-poses in the 'centre ring', and downstairs a load of booths with short-pose sideshows (including a mermaid and conjoined twins!) for £30, it was crazy. Oh, and live music throughout. Check out the photos!

This city is insane, it's got a lot of wealth from being near london, plus tourism from being right on the south coast, plus gay capital of the uk, it all feeds into the town being rammed with arty-types, so that sort of event happens a lot. Downside is that there's crazy competition for art sales.

I really like that! The white stars really make it all pop, and the forest gives it depth beyond just 'pretty sky'. There's an artist I like on Mastodon who does a lot of work in a similar style, you might enjoy her stuff.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

I know, right? They had an all-day event a couple of years back, with a bunch of models doing long-poses in the 'centre ring', and downstairs a load of booths with short-pose sideshows (including a mermaid and conjoined twins!) for £30, it was crazy. Oh, and live music throughout. Check out the photos!

This city is insane, it's got a lot of wealth from being near london, plus tourism from being right on the south coast, plus gay capital of the uk, it all feeds into the town being rammed with arty-types, so that sort of event happens a lot. Downside is that there's crazy competition for art sales.

Oh man, that is so cool! I wish I had something like that near me. At least I have a figure drawing group near me I can go to, but nothing like that cool event. I should really get back to the figure drawing group now that I think about it, it's been a year or two!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Forgotten how to draw send help

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

More final fantasy 14 buddies!

edit one more!

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 15, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

people posted:

nice comments on galaxy
I had a ton of fun making it, but to be honest I just followed a tutorial from youtube so it did not feel like much effort. Strange, how that works.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

They told me to go fast..

They never told me where I'd end up.
This hits hard.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Today I drew a bandicoot. I somehow knew nothing of this animal before, and realized "OH! So that's what Crash Bandicoot is!" I had honestly never given it any thought.
Basically what I'm saying is, I was this guy:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I drew a marryo, I find him super hard to draw for some reason.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i tried painting from life this time

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

23rd day straight of drawing 10+ minutes a day. I need to start setting some kind of goal because my sketchbook is all over the place. Also need to figure out my camera settings because everything I post I need to resize down by ~70% first.

Fruity20 posted:

I tried krita after all these years..though i'm gonna ink the rest in csp

Is that all in Krita or did you start on paper? Looks nice! Also, thanks for reminding me that I bought Krita on Steam a few months ago and have yet to actually try it out.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ThreeStep posted:

23rd day straight of drawing 10+ minutes a day. I need to start setting some kind of goal because my sketchbook is all over the place. Also need to figure out my camera settings because everything I post I need to resize down by ~70% first.
What did you use for the shading?
Instead of posting full size with [img] you can use [timg] and the forums will resize for you.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ThreeStep posted:

Also, thanks for reminding me that I bought Krita on Steam a few months ago and have yet to actually try it out.

When did Krita stop being freeware?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

When did Krita stop being freeware?

Even more than freeware; it's Open Source. You can buy it on Steam to get automatic updates and support the development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008