Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

YaketySass posted:

I think the plotlines of Kat's robot cult, the Court working to influence the Ether and the Ether being influenced by belief are meant to converge at some point. If you can create a new species with its own belief system, you can bypass humanity and do some potent poo poo.

The Court is "Man's Endeavor to Become God", according to Coyote. And who's being treated as an emerging God among the Court characters?

I'm just thinking in terms of the old trope of advancing technology muting faith and how that would physically manifest into a plot point in this world where faith is pretty much a basic building block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I guess the best god is someone who neither aimed to, nor particularly wants to, be a god.
Kat doesn't even want to be a wizard, which is like a previous stage on the Scale of Paranormal Potency.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think Kat's on track to be a god who doesn't even /realise/ she's a god

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At this point it seems to me that Gunnerkrigg is set to be the story of a whole bunch of differently created gods colliding.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

There's been no shortage of them turning up at the Court. Coyote, Brynhild, Chang'e, Kat... many famous names.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The chapter being called New Contract is getting more and more worrying by the page. It could still be whatever but it's starting to look like something quite serious.

Then again this could just be part of the ceremony that weirdo from Cardiff has to do to implant souls into bodies.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It might be the psychopomps telling Annie² that since no one deals with robots - and no one wants to - it's their job now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The ROTD is here to register a new category of souls.

e:fab

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We still do not deal in electrical appliances.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

maswastaken posted:

It might be the psychopomps telling Annie² that since no one deals with robots - and no one wants to - it's their job now.

Before we let you create a new form of life, we have some details to work out.

Hmm?

Yes, it's nice in Bali this time of year! Thank you for asking.

e: there were only three people on hand and creation and destruction were taken so that's why Reynard is robot Vishnu now.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Looking likely that the ROTD is going to cash in on their debt with Annie(s). Though I imagine Kat would be capable of playing robot psychopomp at some point? And if Kat can't do it now and Annie gets sucked into it, I could see Kat making it a goal to reach the point where she could lift that burden from her friend.

Also, this page is the source for the image on this chapter's cover page.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Realm of the Dead and the Psychopomps are not the same entities. They don't even like each other very much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also you don't put your senior developer in charge of post human relations

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Regy Rusty posted:

The Realm of the Dead and the Psychopomps are not the same entities. They don't even like each other very much.

Oh. Huh. That was a pretty big detail from those ROTD chapters, wasn't it. They certainly have a working relationship but, yeah, that complicates what I was thinking.

E: I miss Mort :(

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 13, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The new Gunnerkrigg retrospective is up on YouTube. Reading into the final few moments of it, I think it hints that robot might not be a good guy

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

The new Gunnerkrigg retrospective is up on YouTube. Reading into the final few moments of it, I think it hints that robot might not be a good guy

Oh, good! I was having a hard time reading the actions of the robot cult that kidnapped a bunch of students to force one of them to make a living robot whale. Glad that's cleared up!

Robot is pretty well established to be dangerous from the reader's perspective. I don't think anyone in the story actually realizes this though, since the Seraphs still seem to be viewed as their own autonomous faction rather than as the True Believers of a larger cult. Which does make me a bit anxious, especially for what comes next after this chapter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoops, I accidentally created a race of unstoppable self-replicating machine knights! If only we had some kind of existing record of someone doing such a thing long ago and discovering that it was a pretty bad idea! Darn!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'No wait its okay! They're biological and feel pain!'
'Uh, this one seems to be getting off on feeling pain'

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Oh my dear sweet teenage girl machine god, I was poking back through “New Data” and right after Robot talks about a “rebirth in our future” the next panel is Arthur standing among the crowd.

loving hell, Tom. You are entirely too good at this.

Also did Robot have a talk about his feelings of caring and love too? Seems like an important thing coming up.

Er, also the teething issues inherent in a new body.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

M.c.P posted:

Oh my dear sweet teenage girl machine god, I was poking back through “New Data” and right after Robot talks about a “rebirth in our future” the next panel is Arthur standing among the crowd.

loving hell, Tom. You are entirely too good at this.

Also did Robot have a talk about his feelings of caring and love too? Seems like an important thing coming up.

Er, also the teething issues inherent in a new body.

I caught onto Arthur in the robo cult a while back, probably from that very panel.

Robot has absolutely delved into his feelings; most of it's in the chapter where he gets his bio arm. But even if that didn't exist, Robot and Shadow are very much an emotional/romantic couple in some form.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think I should re-read this whole thing from the beginning, a lot is coming together that I might have forgotten a lot of development for...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I think I should re-read this whole thing from the beginning, a lot is coming together that I might have forgotten a lot of development for...

:yeshaha:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I caught onto Arthur in the robo cult a while back, probably from that very panel.

Robot has absolutely delved into his feelings; most of it's in the chapter where he gets his bio arm. But even if that didn't exist, Robot and Shadow are very much an emotional/romantic couple in some form.

For the love of God, Robot even blushes when he's about to hold hands with Shadow, he's so adorable in this relationship :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Oh, good! I was having a hard time reading the actions of the robot cult that kidnapped a bunch of students to force one of them to make a living robot whale. Glad that's cleared up!

Robot is pretty well established to be dangerous from the reader's perspective. I don't think anyone in the story actually realizes this though, since the Seraphs still seem to be viewed as their own autonomous faction rather than as the True Believers of a larger cult. Which does make me a bit anxious, especially for what comes next after this chapter.

Yeah, I'm waiting for him to do something.
To me however it's not entirely clear if he's really malevolent or if he has noble intentions that are going to backfire for the humans.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Watching that made me remember that this is not the first time we've seen a Robot being affected by the Ether. The Ship does have it's etheric form, although it takes Zimmy to manifest it. So in a way, Robots are already a factor in this whole Etheric mess, so maybe what's happening now is not as much Kat creating life, but concentrating some very strong etheric energy into one body.
Hope he can handle it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, I'm waiting for him to do something.
To me however it's not entirely clear if he's really malevolent or if he has noble intentions that are going to backfire for the humans.

Personally I think he's misguided, not malevolent. It's a situation that kinda spiraled out of control because the machines all got together and decided their place in the world in isolation, without asking anyone else. It was their first major act of autonomy really, and I think it's about to hit the point where they wouldn't just say "oh, whoops, sorry" and back down if confronted about the whole faction-of-robot-wannabe-templars thing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Is that even spoiler-worthy considering this is all regarding extremely old news? I'll do it anyway though, yeah robot seems just misguided. He's genuinely a friend to everyone present but his devotion to Kat and the twisted way he views everything she does supercedes that. I think he's perfectly willing to throw everyone else under the bus in pursuit of becoming human, but I wonder if he'd be willing to put Shadow in danger.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Last panel on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=434

:discourse: foreshadowing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why are you people using spoiler tags

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Regy Rusty posted:

reasons

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

Last panel on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=434

:discourse: foreshadowing

whoa

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kikas posted:

Watching that made me remember that this is not the first time we've seen a Robot being affected by the Ether. The Ship does have it's etheric form, although it takes Zimmy to manifest it. So in a way, Robots are already a factor in this whole Etheric mess, so maybe what's happening now is not as much Kat creating life, but concentrating some very strong etheric energy into one body.
Hope he can handle it.

I'm not sure you can really use anything that happens around Zimmy as evidence of its nature in the ether. Her whole deal is spitting ether everywhere uncontrollably, to the point of creating monsters out of nothing (like the white spiders). The robots having form in her world comes from her applying ether to them, rather than revealing what they already look like behind reality.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I like to think Zimmy is so repulsive she scares all the ether away and the spiders et al are what fills the vacuum.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The person above me did. That's it. That's the only reason. :geno:

In retrospect that's a really dumb reason.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Half of these problems wouldn't be happening if the Court put some spoiler tags on their stuff.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Samuringa posted:

Half of these problems wouldn't be happening if the Court put some spoiler tags on their stuff.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1688

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

one of the greatest pages of all time

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love the bottom left panel in today's page. Kat and the Annies going UHHHHHHHHHH :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd like to imagine new ghost's got BMO's voice :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Warmachine posted:

The person above me did. That's it. That's the only reason. :geno:

In retrospect that's a really dumb reason.

Ditto. I like you am a sheep. :(

CJacobs posted:

Personally I think he's misguided, not malevolent. It's a situation that kinda spiraled out of control because the machines all got together and decided their place in the world in isolation, without asking anyone else. It was their first major act of autonomy really, and I think it's about to hit the point where they wouldn't just say "oh, whoops, sorry" and back down if confronted about the whole faction-of-robot-wannabe-templars thing.

Glagha posted:

Is that even spoiler-worthy considering this is all regarding extremely old news? I'll do it anyway though, yeah robot seems just misguided. He's genuinely a friend to everyone present but his devotion to Kat and the twisted way he views everything she does supercedes that. I think he's perfectly willing to throw everyone else under the bus in pursuit of becoming human, but I wonder if he'd be willing to put Shadow in danger.

Yes, that fits more into the general theme of the series. But ever since I first read about robot something just didn't sit well with me. With him being just a pile of parts apparently because he was talking about an angel?
I just have a hard time completely trusting him.

Current strip: We don't need a translator. He's obviously just saying hello.