Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
For me I tend to go to goodreads and read the one star reviews. While many times it’s hyperbole, they can give you a good snapshot of the negative parts to balance a meaningless 3.5 star review or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Goodreads is mostly fine. I have not yet had a good recommendation from its "suggested because you read X" algorithm though, and classic books tend to get lower overall ratings because of sooper smart online readers who "don't get all the hype"

if you read good books the suggestion thing very occasionally throws up something cool

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

goodreads ratings are terrible unless you're looking at books which have been reviewed once in a language you don't read

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Protip: if the book is translated and not a genre novel, it's probably decent

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

if you read good books the suggestion thing very occasionally throws up something cool

sometimes if you read the cool obscure books that weird cliques of people read on there it will start giving you other good ones as well.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If anything Goodreads review aggregates are way too high, especially for genre stuff. There's a load of very bad fantasy, sci-fi, and horror rated at 4+ stars so take most of it with a grain of salt.

Insert obligatory "all fantasy, sci-fi, and horror is bad" response from whoever here

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

If anything Goodreads review aggregates are way too high, especially for genre stuff. There's a load of very bad fantasy, sci-fi, and horror rated at 4+ stars so take most of it with a grain of salt.

Insert obligatory "all fantasy, sci-fi, and horror is bad" response from whoever here
Yeah. There's a lot of that. Also the fact that every book is basically 3.2-4.1. The lowest rated GR book I've read, No Knives in the Kitchens of this City, was really pretty good.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Yeah. There's a lot of that. Also the fact that every book is basically 3.2-4.1. The lowest rated GR book I've read, No Knives in the Kitchens of this City, was really pretty good.

I was curious, turns out the three lowest rated books I've read were Twilight Pariah, The Graveyard Apartment, and Universal Harvester. Twilight Pariah is an obscure just-okay horror novella by Jeffrey Ford so I can kind of get that rating, and I blame Universal Harvester's low rating on the fact that it was very stupidly marketed as a horror novel, but I'm not sure why GR hates The Graveyard Apartment. It's not a book that will blow you away but it's a pretty good supernatural horror novel and deserves a bit more attention than it got in the US.

Though "hates" may be a strong word here. Like you said, even Twilight Pariah is at a 3.16.

edit: I looked a little deeper in the list and it turns out The Grip of It, The Deep, The Cipher, Ararat, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, House of Small Shadows, and The Turn of the Screw are all in the "bottom" 20 on GR, of books I've read and logged, so maybe GR just generally hates horror. Hilariously, Heart of Darkness is down there too.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 7, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
You inspired me to go back and check, No Knives in the Kitchens of this City was about 3.25 when I read it. It's down to 2.88. Many of those low reviews are in Arabic, and given that the book is about the degradation of a family over the last half century under the Assads, I have to feel like there's some motivated downvoting there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1743-PLUCH...tYAAOSwOLVc1G9A

Does anyone here know how much a book like this is really worth? I want it for various reasons, and I am thinking of capping my bid at around 150, but I have no idea if that's underpaying or overpaying.

Why can't this be like pawn stars where I can just call Rebecca in and have her tell me what it's worth before I bid?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Does anyone here know how much a book like this is really worth? I want it for various reasons, and I am thinking of capping my bid at around 150, but I have no idea if that's underpaying or overpaying.

Why can't this be like pawn stars where I can just call Rebecca in and have her tell me what it's worth before I bid?

There are probably auction records or dealer listings for it. Remember that to collectors things like specific edition matter a lot, whereas if you just want the text you won’t care about anything except condition.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

on the right day i would buy it for anything under 50, but idk that its worth anything in itself. i would never pay 150 though, thats too much for any book unless i guess its personally signed for you or something. i guess watch the bids and see if they go above?

the problem with antiquarians is they know what people will pay. imo scour lovely old used bookstores and buy stuff there instead. you might not get the crown jewels, but youll get some golden nuggets for sure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/erocdrahs/status/1127132182789742592

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's a second edition and only one volume of a two volume set. That said, it's a 250 year old book that looks to be in decent condition, though I didnt see any statement regarding whether the binding is original or not.

Ultimately it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Personally, I wouldn't go much above $75 or so without some additional information.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i too use the word consume for assimilating the concept literature

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
books mostly consume me tbh

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

people like that just read self-help and "rich dad poor dad" type poo poo so I wouldnt get offended

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Imagine getting an email from a CEO of a silicon valley tech start up wanting to talk about your book he self admits to just skimming through

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What sort of person is so self-obsessed that they are so absolutely certain a bunch of pop psychology and business-lite authors are dying to hear all of your shower thoughts and hot takes on their work that you'd actually suggest they sit through your half-baked book report?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MockingQuantum posted:

What sort of person is so self-obsessed that they are so absolutely certain a bunch of pop psychology and business-lite authors are dying to hear all of your shower thoughts and hot takes on their work that you'd actually suggest they sit through your half-baked book report?

CEO of a tech startup

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

CEO of a tech startup

Yeah I guess that is pretty self evident

tbf to the CEOs of tech startups of the world, most of the books targeted at them can actually be summarized in a half sheet of pithy, usually unoriginal and obvious aphorisms, so I kinda doubt he's missing out on much. At least I hope he's not speed-audiobooking, like, One Hundred Years of Solitude and trying to track down the ghost of Marquez to discuss the meaning of the golden fishes or something like that.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I do wish it was that

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"Dear Mr. Benjamin.

I recently read your work about contemporary and digital art, and I have a few takes about your concept of 'aura' as it pertains to Instagram filters I'd like to share with you (...)"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

coincidentally discovered this exists today lol

https://readitfor.me/

now you can pay people to create lovely summaries for you!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

coincidentally discovered this exists today lol

https://readitfor.me/

now you can pay people to create lovely summaries for you!

Of course its for loving stupid ceo self help bullshit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my school has this terrible habit of assigning 10-part pop-psy ceo thunk books to our students and I end up having to teach them and they all loving suck

I once told my boss if he ever assigned a Malcolm Gladwell book I would punch him in the throat

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my school has this terrible habit of assigning 10-part pop-psy ceo thunk books to our students and I end up having to teach them and they all loving suck

I once told my boss if he ever assigned a Malcolm Gladwell book I would punch him in the throat

Would that be your... Tipping Point?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

His boss gone in a blink of an eye

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
TIL a film adapation of michael mcdowell's cold moon over babylon was released in 2017 and tommy wiseau appears in it

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
My Mom used a site called FictFact to track series she's read, was currently reading, or stopped reading. It also would show her what the next book in a series was and she'd get alerts about new releases. Unfortunately the site just shut down and she's absolutely crushed. Does anyone know of something similar she could switch to?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Spaseman posted:

My Mom used a site called FictFact to track series she's read, was currently reading, or stopped reading. It also would show her what the next book in a series was and she'd get alerts about new releases. Unfortunately the site just shut down and she's absolutely crushed. Does anyone know of something similar she could switch to?

Goodreads?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Spaseman posted:

I don't know if you can track reading (I'd recommend Goodreads for that), but Book Series In Order can take care of the rest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1130222658904367105

edit: I have discovered twitter is good for finding Neat Old Book Stuff

this was a tool for reading -- like a line marker type thing.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 22, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/MedievalMss/status/1130900425450954752

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

goddamn

post it in the "book of cspam" thread and watch a goon's head explode

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
This was a really interesting interview about the writing process:

https://twitter.com/WGAWest/status/1134160266029965313

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1134688689416810496

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

was waiting for the vote it go for like an hour or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

was waiting for the vote it go for like an hour or something?

Sorry, I got behind this month and 1491 has done well in several prior polls so I went ahead and picked it by fiat.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Guuuuuys, I held over 200-years-old book today! :swoon:

It was Johnson's Dictionary, btw. Published 1755

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A long time ago, there was an announcement about Dutton having acquired the manuscripts of two unpublished novels by the incomparable Ellen Raskin: The Westing Quest and A Murder for Macaroni and Cheese.

I have never heard anything more about them.

Does anybody have any information at all on those two books, or what state they were in or what happened to them?