Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Dark Void was a stupid, lovely attempt at making a rocketeer videogame and its own joke tie in game was better than it was.

Oh yeah not every Dark game is good. See Dark Souls, for instance.

(I tried out the Dark Void demo back in the day and at first I thought "hmm this looks nice" and then I thought "what the gently caress is this poo poo?" and I guess the full game is like that too?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its just a huge mess without the budget to fix it. It has three divergent gameplay modes; vertical cover based shooting (this sucks because its just cover shooting with more akward controls but loving hilarious enemy deaths), open arena flight combat (this sucks because its absurdly absurdly difficult. You can die during QTEs), and 3rd person combat with a jetpack (this doesnt suck until you realize they put dumb limits on your ability to do this constantly and the level design falls to poo poo cause who cares they got a jetpack!!!).

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

Worse, it was originally going to be a licensed game. There has to have been a secret settlement agreement between a blizzard and the Warhammer company. The Warhammer company is apparently the worst at business ever and never sells anything, but they’re still around somehow. It would be hilarious if they only exist because they were sipping a few royalties off of Blizzard.

I will give cudos to Games Workshop that they finally realized they were pretty much up poo poo creek and decided to let anyone make games with the license. Sure, most of it is utter garbage, but there are some really good games like Inquisitor Martyr. It's a Diablo clone with a great single player campaign and it's soon getting coop.
There's also weird stuff like Herald or Dorn that's a old school choose your own adventure book and it owns.
And obviously the Vermintide games are great. Who doesn't want Left 4 Dead with ratmen?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, Jim "Chungus" Sterling has yet another video about how much of a poo poo Randy Bitchford is. It's 30 minutes long but well worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ4ZHUboz70

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Was Sterling always good? I guess I never gave him a chance because he's a video game youtuber who looks like....that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

What was the story with that one guy who is still mad at Warhammer because he can't write more of his warhamsonichu fanfic as canon because they own the rights or something like that, anyway?

You might be thinking of the Battletech unicorn furry. I actually used to be acquainted with that guy.

Games Workshop had a major change of management recently pulling them back from the corporate cult they'd turned into.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You might be thinking of the Battletech unicorn furry. I actually used to be acquainted with that guy.

Games Workshop had a major change of management recently pulling them back from the corporate cult they'd turned into.

Battletech, Warhammer; potato, potato vOv

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

is pepsi ok posted:

Was Sterling always good? I guess I never gave him a chance because he's a video game youtuber who looks like....that.

jim sterling is good when it comes to talking about workers rights and shining a light on the abuses in the industry (that, well, let's be honest his viewers will never attempt/be able to affect). he tells it like it is and isn't afraid to say poo poo like the ESA and GDC are just unionbusting bastards.

otoh when it comes to talking about anything else he's thoroughly :geno:, an artifact that retains momentum from the period of time on the internet where merely having a british accent instantly made you an authoritative expert on whatever you were talking about

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 14, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He can be clever and sometimes even enjoyable, but 90% of his shtick is outrage and stirring up drama so he's basically the worst type of Youtube personality. Also I just want to take his dumb hat and stomp on it so badly.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Ocarina of time was boring and tedious, it is held up due to nostalgia.

Wind waker is superior.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Wind waker is superior.

Did... did you finish Wind Waker?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I'm glad this is becoming an increasingly popular opinion. I was a huge Zelda nerd when that game came out and I could never understand why I didn't like it. Looking back on it now it's legacy should be closer to "clunky first steps into the 3d action RPG genre" than "goat 10/10 masterpiece"

It also didn't help that the previous 2 games in the series were masterpieces of the end of the 2d era.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wind waker is the only 3D Zelda game that actually feels fun to play, all the other ones just seem to be latching onto various platformer/RPG conventions and slapping them onto the Zelda format. At least with wind waker they just picked a gimmick that was fairly unique for the time and still holds up ok

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Now that it’s been out long enough for the hype to die down, Breath of the Wind or whatever is still okay, or naw?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I liked it but the hype o re it confused the heck out of me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably in the top 10 most enjoyable games I've ever played, but some people love to hate on it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Now that it’s been out long enough for the hype to die down, Breath of the Wind or whatever is still okay, or naw?

I think its pretty poo poo even if Id recommend it to other switch owners, but the people who love it unbelievably love it and will defend every decision in it to the bitter end to the point where the current atatus of its reappraisement is begrudgingly admitting that ok, the cooking could be better.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man you think ocarina of time was a dumb fuckin name then they come up with wind waker.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I think its pretty poo poo even if Id recommend it to other switch owners, but the people who love it unbelievably love it and will defend every decision in it to the bitter end to the point where the current atatus of its reappraisement is begrudgingly admitting that ok, the cooking could be better.

ngl around the time it came out i saw my friend playing it spend like 5-10 minutes throwing random poo poo together to cook and clear out the hundreds of ingredients cluttering up her inventory and i was like "i don't get it"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A ton of people who love it have a lot of issues with it. It's not perfect. I could make a huge list of stuff I'd like to see changed for a sequel, but at the end of the day it was still the most interesting open world to explore that I can think of.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's real cool to hear positive opinions re: Wind Waker, since it's the only game in the series I've never actually played, and WiiU emulation is at the point where I can play it in 4K with several visual improvements, so I actually just started it up the other day.

It looks real purty :swoon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In the WiiU version there is a new item added to the game at the auction house which is a magic sail. Get this literally the moment it is available to you and youll never regret it. It improves the game so tremendously that it should have just been forcibly shoved into your inventory against your will.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

In the WiiU version there is a new item added to the game at the auction house which is a magic sail. Get this literally the moment it is available to you and youll never regret it. It improves the game so tremendously that it should have just been forcibly shoved into your inventory against your will.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Every "revolutionary advancement" Halo made was based on a Quake mod at least two years prior.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Every "revolutionary advancement" Halo made was based on a Quake mod at least two years prior.

But Halo was so revolutionary, dumbass

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Good. It's nice that someone decided to take them from a bad game to make a good game :mmmhmm:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
The Marathon series would be an amazing modern release instead of the abortions of Halo 4/5/6.

I miss Durandal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

I'm glad this is becoming an increasingly popular opinion. I was a huge Zelda nerd when that game came out and I could never understand why I didn't like it. Looking back on it now it's legacy should be closer to "clunky first steps into the 3d action RPG genre" than "goat 10/10 masterpiece"

It also didn't help that the previous 2 games in the series were masterpieces of the end of the 2d era.

the 2d era never "ended". Zelda Oracle of Ages and Oracle of seasons came out 2 years after ocarena of time and they are both superior.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

poisonpill posted:

It was always bad, like every Zelda game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Breath of the Wild has something around every corner and over every hill, and all of it ranges between annoying at worst and mildly interesting at best

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Death
Taxes
The Zelda Cycle
Three things that can never be more certain.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Breath of the wild took the Zelda formula which is a pretty great setup for a game and then added 80 hours padding

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Breath of the Wild would be so much better if it had the standard puzzle dungeon>new item>new possibilities flow. Giving you all of your tools in the tutorial area was a bit of a misstep.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

There's never been anything special or revolutionary about Halo or Destiny or Anthem.

They've simply taken basic decades old PC FPS/MMO tried and true elements and made them accessible to console gamers who had never had a chance to experience those types of games before.

A crowd ignorant and incapable of realizing for just how much of a ride they're being taken for on account of having no other frame of reference.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

console gamers who had never had a chance to experience those types of games before.

That's the dumbest conclusion and I don't understand how people keep coming up with it. Everyone back then as now who has a console has experienced what PC games have to offer which is exactly why they bought a console.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It's not some crazy radical notion that consoles have always been more accessible, more approachable and easier to game with than PC.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It's not some crazy radical notion that consoles have always been more accessible, more approachable and easier to game with than PC.

lol buddy idk what exactly you're smoking but pc games for well over a decade have all been "push butan-> play game" fuckin' simple, it literally is not possible to be more accessible than that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The thing is both pcs and consoles are great but the only reason anyone would only use a console is financial

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

food court bailiff posted:

lol buddy idk what exactly you're smoking but pc games for well over a decade have all been "push butan-> play game" fuckin' simple, it literally is not possible to be more accessible than that

Maybe for your mobile games on your phone. I don't know a single person who bought Anthem who didn't have to either upgrade their graphics card or troubleshoot their way to get the drat thing running.

But maybe that's an unfair comparison given that game could allegedly brick consoles as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Eh. It has gotten easier but you still have to be willing to tinker with stuff if something doesn't work properly. When I got Dying Light I had to do some ini tweaks to get it to run. Consoles don't require that at all.