Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thats the efficiency of the free market baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
thats how cops and firemen began

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bushiz posted:

Theres a wild underground economy of people that charge them doing things like breaking into other people's houses to get at their scooters, and like picking them up and taking them off grid because the companies offer a bounty for returning "lost" scooters

I sit in my recliner with feet raised. It's dark. The garage is unlocked. My gun is loaded. The scooters are piled high.

The game begins

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1128298593377505281

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I roam the dusty byways and highways of this shattered nation with wagon filled with the lost and begotten wages of hubris. Its all gone now. Monuments to our excess stand crumbling and proud above the teeming mass of pedestrian desperation. Only men like me hold the key to their escape. Call me Scooterman.

Lol. Market forces at work.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The other thing to note with the Bird scooters (and other dockless bikeshares) is that they get some of their money from selling your data. It's a great way to track where you travel to.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah i had a friend try to do the picking up scooters thing for some extra money and turns out there are like roving gangs working together to collect them all and intimidate others into not even trying.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjjZNwudgc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i'm just gonna make their room a faraday cage

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

young teens growing up constantly using burner phones is very cool cyberpunk

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lol that they confiscated her friend's phones when they came round for sleepovers.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Necrothatcher posted:

Lol that they confiscated her friend's phones when they came round for sleepovers.

you won't believe what this teen did to escape her abusive household! zoomers, am i rite????

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Are we sure the teens aren't just drug dealers?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

General Dog posted:

Are we sure the teens aren't just drug dealers?

Zoomers find quick way to get lots of CA$$$$$H!! MILLENIALS HATE THIS!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm just gonna make their room a faraday cage
And they can earn their keep servicing secret scooters. Genius!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah i had a friend try to do the picking up scooters thing for some extra money and turns out there are like roving gangs working together to collect them all and intimidate others into not even trying.

because of course

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

What's worse, this or the American kids who talk with English accents because they spend more time watching Peppa Pig than talking to people?

I refuse to believe that these people exists. If evidence is presented to prove that they do, I will willfully ignore it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

That's extremely cyberpunk.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

tino posted:

I watched a scooter charger video. It seem that you make on average $8 for each scooter reup. A decent complimentary gig if you are already driving uber.

My favorite part of the whole scooter debacle is that there's absolutely no way that any of these companies will turn a profit. It's a grift on a grift on a grift.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Do they ride around on like mad max style customized scooters with like chains and the boards from obsolete cell phones glued on them?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Do they ride around on like mad max style customized scooters with like chains and the boards from obsolete cell phones glued on them?

the app eula says you can only use the scooters if you're wearing bdsm gear

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

we live in the shittiest possible post-apocalyptic wasteland

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WITNESS ME! *drives into a culvert at 9 mph*

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

purple death ray posted:

WITNESS ME! *drives into a culvert at 9 mph*

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

You can also just kill someone with one of the scooters.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/27991/woman-bludgeoned-to-death-with-bird-electric-scooter

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This road looks *super* dangerous to stand alongside of and totally justifies this gadget. :jerkbag:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

This road looks *super* dangerous to stand alongside of and totally justifies this gadget. :jerkbag:

I like how they put a helmet on it for no functional reason

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's good for the safety of the stopped driver lol. Now you can reach for your wallet with less fear of getting shot!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that feeling when you reread transmetropolitan and their world is less hosed up and more interesting as well lol

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
like imagine a world where a journalist reveals an incredible tale of political corruption and it causes change and societal upheaval

lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

That's good for the safety of the stopped driver lol. Now you can reach for your wallet with less fear of getting shot!

you must be new to american cops. instead, they will shoot through their own windshield and riddle the stopped car with bullets when they reach for their wallet to fast

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

you must be new to american cops. instead, they will shoot through their own windshield and riddle the stopped car with bullets when they reach for their wallet to fast

callin in aerial support and setting the police car in neutral with the door ajar so you can make a tactical rolling approach while unloading 20 rounds blindly from the window view of the ajar door as if it were a ballistic shield as you crouchwalk in out-of-shape agony

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Platystemon posted:

It’s just like the real police, very authentic.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Vox Nihili posted:

My favorite part of the whole scooter debacle is that there's absolutely no way that any of these companies will turn a profit. It's a grift on a grift on a grift.

If one of these scooter companies is large enough, they can lobby the corrupted city officials and pass the scooter recovery to the police/tax payer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lastgirl posted:

callin in aerial support and setting the police car in neutral with the door ajar so you can make a tactical rolling approach while unloading 20 rounds blindly from the window view of the ajar door as if it were a ballistic shield as you crouchwalk in out-of-shape agony
The robot is 90% C4 by mass. The helmet is extra shrapnel.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lol

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/miyhnea/status/1128391764191191052?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Do you greet the psycho who wrote this Best Buy employee quiz when they are sent to the gulag?

No, and also they’re “Best Buy associates” not “employees”.