Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Maybe for your mobile games on your phone. I don't know a single person who bought Anthem who didn't have to either upgrade their graphics card or troubleshoot their way to get the drat thing running.

But maybe that's an unfair comparison given that game could allegedly brick consoles as well.

i don't know anyone who bought anthem because that game looked loving awful on it's face

it's possible you're just a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
"My laptop is 2 years old, and it still totally runs everything I buy on it."

*turns off anti-aliasing, v-sync, shadows, lighting, and lowers resolution to lowest possible aspect ratio*

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

*turns off anti-aliasing, v-sync, shadows, lighting, and lowers resolution to lowest possible aspect ratio*

let me reiterate that this dumb motherfucker bought a bioware game that was like, a budget destiny clone

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

food court bailiff posted:

let me reiterate that this dumb motherfucker bought a bioware game that was like, a budget destiny clone

Haha, no.

I spent my money on Dragon Ball games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

which ones, the xenoverse games are fantastic guilty pleasures of mine and fighterz seems cool but i suck at it after years of GG

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
All of them, even that 10 yr old card game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Eh, my pc only has a single component that's less than 8 years old (a 970 which I think is already 2-3 years old now) and somehow I can run almost any AAA game with all the settings maxed at 1080/60. Obviously the graphics card is most of that but it's still kind of cool.

e: but lmao at buying Anthem, jesus

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do i gotta post that long rear end list of PC issues Ive had stretching over decades? Because PC gaming has been terrible to me.

Regarding halo, I dont know if all of its features existed prior in an FPS game*, but its absolutely influential in so far as how all of those pieces were stitched together to establish a style of FPS design that everybody is still riffing on to this day. Kill.switch might be the first modern cover shooter but its Gears of War that showed everybody why that concept was revolutionary.

*Iirc some FPS had a true dedicated grenade button prior to Halo for example

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

jim sterling is good when it comes to talking about workers rights and shining a light on the abuses in the industry (that, well, let's be honest his viewers will never attempt/be able to affect). he tells it like it is and isn't afraid to say poo poo like the ESA and GDC are just unionbusting bastards.

otoh when it comes to talking about anything else he's thoroughly :geno:, an artifact that retains momentum from the period of time on the internet where merely having a british accent instantly made you an authoritative expert on whatever you were talking about

To be honest, I don't watch many of his Jimquisitions these days. Every week he does the Podquisition with Laura Dale and Gav who does some music. Jim is way more laid back there and it's always a treat.
It's just three friends having a chat about games and stuff they stuff up their butt.

Also, Gavin is really good at his music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_LHnXPlinI

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The thing about Jim Sterling is that if you are going to have a lot of opinions about a very sedentary hoby you shouldn't be the size of 2 people.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
What new features did halo introduce? I guess vehicles were more fleshed out and a bigger part of the game?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Magnitogorsk. posted:

What new features did halo introduce? I guess vehicles were more fleshed out and a bigger part of the game?

Carrying 2 weapons

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

this may fuckin' shock people but something doesn't have to be super cutting-edge innovative to be good or even great

the beatles weren't like, making up those chords, you know?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The thing about Jim Sterling is that if you are going to have a lot of opinions about a very sedentary hoby you shouldn't be the size of 2 people.

This is like thinking a good cook needs to be slim. Counter-intuitive and wrong.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Link's Awakening remake looks real bad. It's not supposed to be that cheerful looking, it's a moody game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lambert posted:

This is like thinking a good cook needs to be slim. Counter-intuitive and wrong.

I will only accept video game opinions from Chad, the ubermensch Cuphead art director.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Like I said, these all may have existed prior but these are the things that together made everybody change how FPS games are made: Grenade button, drop-in/drop-out vehicles, non-centered crosshair, two weapon limit, melee button, radar, and the most important regenerating health (1 and 2 use different systems and devs making other games went almost unanimously with the 2 system when given a choice).

I dont think the AI had anything brand new, but the total package definitely was especially within context of showing off how the above influenced the games encounter design.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You dont need to look like david beckham but you do need to look like you understand what "exercise" and "healthy food" are.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Magnitogorsk. posted:

I think it just refined some mechanics to streamline single player design. The real issue is that every game post Halo was trying to crib off its success so it was years of games that tried to do what Halo did but poorly. Just like how every game now has a battle royal mode.

Bring back CTF, rocket arena, and multiplayer that didn't require 45 minutes to play one round/game/map.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I still don't know how blizzard managed to get away with blatantly stealing and filing the serial numbers off of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k.

the same way warhammer and dungeons and dragons got away with blatantly stealing a whole bunch of poo poo straight out of tolkein and other fantasy and scifi novels

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Good sound design that, among other things, made the monsters you're about to kill seem alive. Obviously better controls than what PCs at the time could offer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Good sound design that, among other things, made the monsters you're about to kill seem alive.

there was plenty of good sound design in gaming well before halo

obviously there were technical limitations in earlier phases of video game history but "good sound design" is not remotely something that halo invented or introduced to the world

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Earwicker posted:

there was plenty of good sound design in gaming well before halo

Nah not really.

Also I forgot the best thing: co-op.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Link's Awakening remake looks real bad. It's not supposed to be that cheerful looking, it's a moody game.

I'm more excited for the Zelda/Crypt of the Necrodancer crossover tbqh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

it really does but i'm getting it anyway because it's still my favorite zelda

it's not like the actual gameboy/color version was actually dark and moody in the graphics, though, it was all in the writing and sound design. for a game boy game it was insane, i can still hum the song of awakening all these years later

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Jerry Cotton posted:

Obviously better controls than what PCs at the time could offer.

loving lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it really does but i'm getting it anyway because it's still my favorite zelda

it's not like the actual gameboy/color version was actually dark and moody in the graphics, though, it was all in the writing and sound design. for a game boy game it was insane, i can still hum the song of awakening all these years later

Yeah, but this version looks a bit like everything's made of rubber. They tried to go for a Minish Cap sort of look almost (the ugliest Zelda). The original didn't look moody per se but at least it left some room for the imagination.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah, but this version looks a bit like everything's made of rubber. They tried to go for a Minish Cap sort of look almost (the ugliest Zelda). The original didn't look moody per se but at least it left some room for the imagination.

Minish Cap graphics would be a huge improvement. The remake looks like they were going for a Yoshi's Woolly/Crafted World type stylized look but it just falls so flat.
Original:

Minish Cap:

Switch remake:
:wtc:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I loved Link's Awakening and the Switch remake has me crazy excited. I think it looks insanely charming, like I want to make dioramas of it to sit on my desk at work.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You dont need to look like david beckham but you do need to look like you understand what "exercise" and "healthy food" are.

Why, because exercise and healthy food are so important to videogame criticism? Doesn't make any sense.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i think it looks really good i just am not sure how it's going to translate to the tone of the game at all

i think it's possible to lean into the toyetic while also keeping some nice dreamlike qualities, just....remains to be seen how it actually plays out

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's also just like, I've already played that goddamned game. I welcome a remake but at least make it a different experience in some meaningful way, I would actually prefer it in full 3D style, especially since the island setting lends itself to that, being able to see the egg in the distance from every part of the island and all that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I would actually prefer it in full 3D style

my throat just erupted in some kind of angry animalistic growling hiss

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my throat just erupted in some kind of angry animalistic growling hiss

Full 3D Zelda can be done well, it has never been done well but it is not impossible.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

turn your monitor on

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Switch remake:

that screenshot looks like link's nose is going to light up red and he's going to save christmas. that's awesome.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

that screenshot looks like link's nose is going to light up red and he's going to save christmas. that's awesome.

Link is a gay dentist now

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Maybe regen shields? Good console shooter than controls well could be a feature.
It just did a bunch of things very well that turned out good for a game hacked together in a year from a 3rd person mac shooter hacked together from a rts.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

First impression I got too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont have particularly strong opinions about link's awakening because i did not play the original but i have to say am getting pretty tired of the Tilt Shift aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Switch remake:

I get that you hate it, but this honestly looks cool as hell.