Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

I disagree. I rewatched S7 before S8 and:

Dany wanted to attack instantly but was told no, thus losing her soldiers when Tyrion hosed up

Dany flies North and loses her child to help the man she loves

Fights for a whole region that doesn't even like her, loses half her forces and a man she loves

Begs the man she loves not to betray her, he does lol

Listens to her dumb advisors again for peace, her best friend is executed for zero reason

Her trusted confidante betrays her

Everyone now thinks some other guy has the best claim to the throne after she spent her whole life thinking she did

She finally does what she wants and easily destroys Cersei

Yeah, might not work for you but it works for me.

and this all explains how a character who has been repeatedly characterized as a lover of the common people and a hater of the nobility spends 20 minutes mercing peasants before remembering about the queen how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm going to drop a thought and see how it lands: in the end, Game of Thrones has basically turned out to be a lengthy retelling of Frank Herbert's Dune.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alizee posted:

For the people that don't think these episodes are universally unsatisfying episode 4 and 5 of this season have a 6.2 and 6.9 rating on IMDB. Prior to this season, the show has never had an episode rated lower than 8.1. It also has many more reviews already than almost any episode from previous seasons.

Clearly, all russian bots!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

you folks are really telling on yourselves here.

What do you mean you folks?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

have you seen the wire

Two hardboiled peasant detectives spend 10 minutes walking through the wreckage of King's Landing only saying "gently caress", settle on a theory that a dragon may have burned it all down.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

The Walrus posted:

and this all explains how a character who has been repeatedly characterized as a lover of the common people and a hater of the nobility spends 20 minutes mercing peasants before remembering about the queen how?

They didn't overthrow Cersei so they are her enemies too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nail Rat posted:

Telling your family who your real parents are = betrayal

Her whole claim to the throne is her birthright, so if there's someone with a better birthright, isn't it betraying them to try to ask them to keep it a secret?

Tyrion was seriously the only person talking any remote amount of sense about this and I legit went "HOLY gently caress HOW IS NOBODY ELSE SEEING THIS" at his suggestion

Like, yes, they're theoretically competing... but they're also both part of the same family, a family that is pretty much famed for incest, and in love with each other. Jon marrying Dany and them just being King and Queen would have made this a complete and utter non-issue. Like the literal only problem with it that isn't just Varys spitballing is "ick incest," and given this is loving Game of Thrones and the Targs are incesty even by Game of Thrones standards, I genuinely don't think it makes sense for anyone to care (and Dany clearly loving doesn't, at the bare minimum).

D&D need to play more Crusader Kings before they write this kind of story.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

PostNouveau posted:

Two hardboiled peasant detectives spend 10 minutes walking through the wreckage of King's Landing only saying "gently caress", settle on a theory that a dragon may have burned it all down.

"I got the crossbow, you got the coinpurse. It's all in the game, though, right?"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

PostNouveau posted:

a grand experiment is put in place where a ward is designated to allow all the dragons it wants, to keep the dragons from burning down the rest of king's landing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Tyrion was seriously the only person talking any remote amount of sense about this and I legit went "HOLY gently caress HOW IS NOBODY ELSE SEEING THIS" at his suggestion

Like, yes, they're theoretically competing... but they're also both part of the same family, a family that is pretty much famed for incest, and in love with each other. Jon marrying Dany and them just being King and Queen would have made this a complete and utter non-issue. Like the literal only problem with it that isn't just Varys spitballing is "ick incest," and given this is loving Game of Thrones and the Targs are incesty even by Game of Thrones standards, I genuinely don't think it makes sense for anyone to care (and Dany clearly loving doesn't, at the bare minimum).

Jon cares. It's all his fault.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

socialsecurity posted:

There is a difference between murdering the woman who killed your baby and mass murdering fleeing surrendering peasants.

No poo poo. I'm not drawing an equivalence between the two. And the more sensible execution would have Dany roasting a couple more increasingly ambiguous actors before she went full Mad Queen.

No Wave posted:

By the logic of the show I don't think executing the person who killed the warchief is outrageous or disproportionate.

Neither is sacking King's Landing- a repeat of an awful event that was one of the main antecedents to the current story. That's the point- Dany isn't any better than any other player of the Game of Thrones. We've just sided with her until now because the targets of her cruelty have always been 'deserving'. What happens when her definition of 'enemy' no longer lines up with the viewers?

Chalks posted:

it'd be nice if she could point to some basic explanation rather than "lol yeah that was a bit nuts huh woop woop wibble wibble"

"Your shithead cousin Bran warged my dragon!"

Edit:

No Wave posted:

she can't even have children! It's victimless incest.

I'd be frankly blown away if D&D remembered Dany was infertile.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

she can't even have children! It's victimless incest.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PostNouveau posted:

"Ain't no shame in holdin' on to your dragons! As long as you make room for other things too!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alchenar posted:

I'm going to drop a thought and see how it lands: in the end, Game of Thrones has basically turned out to be a lengthy retelling of Frank Herbert's Dune.

Who's Sting in a thong in this analogy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The show didn't put in the effort for the heelturn so although it was foreshadowed quite a bit it just delivered like garbage.

Also what was the point of Bran and all the time spent on him exactly? Dude ends up doing nothing. Like in the end he's basically just Rickon.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Idk in CK2 a family member with a claim to your titles is someone who is likely to stab you or be a puppet around which rebellious vassals organize.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 14, 2019

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Moridin920 posted:

The show didn't put in the effort for the heelturn so although it was foreshadowed quite a bit it just delivered like garbage.

With another season, or at least a couple more reminders that Dany loves conquering and cruelty a little bit more than justice, I think it would have felt like a decent payoff. I don't think they were that far off from making it work- but Varys was more or less our first reminder that Dany can be merciless to characters we like.

Also a better inciting event than bells- like roasting the Lannister soldiers anyway or being accosted by the peasants as a 'foreign queen' before going full ham.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Would it have been better if Drogon turned his head around and told Dany Son-of-Sam-style to burn em all?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Missed opportunity to have Dany slowly cracking or going power mad such that leading up to KL they have some scene where they ask her what she's gonna do if X happens and she flippantly responds "burn them all" and then her advisors (esp Jaime if he's anywhere around?) share an awkward nervous laugh.

e:

Bip Roberts posted:

Would it have been better if Drogon turned his head around and told Dany Son-of-Sam-style to burn em all?

heh

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

I disagree. I rewatched S7 before S8 and:

Dany wanted to attack instantly but was told no, thus losing her soldiers when Tyrion hosed up

Dany flies North and loses her child to help the man she loves

Fights for a whole region that doesn't even like her, loses half her forces and a man she loves

Begs the man she loves not to betray her, he does lol

Listens to her dumb advisors again for peace, her best friend is executed for zero reason

Her trusted confidante betrays her

Everyone now thinks some other guy has the best claim to the throne after she spent her whole life thinking she did

She finally does what she wants and easily destroys Cersei

Yeah, might not work for you but it works for me.

And this gives her a reason to just snap and massacre random civilians when she can easily fly to the red keep?

It would have made at least a bit more sense if she had just flown straight to the red keep and burned it down first, *then* burned down the rest of king's landing in some sort of crazy bloodlust.

That's the main reason the scene is godawful, not the fact she went crazy or ended up burning down KL.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They should have had Varys not go all in for betraying and only vaguely hint at it, so she can still kill him while it looks way more paranoid

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

JVNO posted:

Also a better inciting event than bells- like roasting the Lannister soldiers anyway or being accosted by the peasants as a 'foreign queen' before going full ham.

The peasants one is the one I expected. She always tried to paint herself as a champion of the common person and a liberator. This was only true in her earlier conquests because those were slaves, bur she seemed to assume that somehow the people of Westeros would view her the same way. Instead they likely would view her as a foreign conqueror and just another tyrant. Combine that with her rash, aggressive action when challenged, and I think her going all Trogdor on the city makes sense once the citizens clearly do not love her.

They even laid the groundwork for it with the "Nobody here loves me like they love you" stuff with Jon.

That "Let it be fear then" line would have been excellent aimed at a population who did not love her as she wanted.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Raffles posted:

At least it's not Lost

There’s plenty of time left to find out everyone is dead and this is all one of Bran’s visions though.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

How do you guys think finale plays out? All of it in KLin the immediate aftermath or we getting a lot of jumping around including time jumps.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

series closes on hodor playing with a snow globe

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
wait where's Yara Greyjoy and her fleet, they forgot about her again, also am i the only one who almost spit his drink out laughing when the magical dothraki riders charged out of the blue?

oh and, huh, why would you put the entire golden company in front of the city walls to defend your city? the gently caress? how do they even fall back if they need to? just play two loving hours of any total war game writers holy poo poo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bigass Moth posted:

There’s plenty of time left to find out everyone is dead and this is all one of Bran’s visions though.

Ending will be redeemed if it pans out to Bran playing with a snow globe

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Raccooon posted:

How do you guys think finale plays out? All of it in KLin the immediate aftermath or we getting a lot of jumping around including time jumps.

I think most of it will be immediate fall out followed by the last 30 minutes or so as an epilogue.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Ends like the Nick. Cage movie Next where the holy ending was just Brans future vision and he goes I know what to do now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Raccooon posted:

Hopefully with the completely unscathed Dorne walking in and easily claiming the throne.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Bigass Moth posted:

Hopefully with the completely unscathed Dorne walking in and easily claiming the throne.

they cant, drogon has plot armor now

dany didnt even really need her army to take KL

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Dyz posted:

And this gives her a reason to just snap and massacre random civilians when she can easily fly to the red keep?

It would have made at least a bit more sense if she had just flown straight to the red keep and burned it down first, *then* burned down the rest of king's landing in some sort of crazy bloodlust.

That's the main reason the scene is godawful, not the fact she went crazy or ended up burning down KL.

I thought she was just gonna burn down the Red Keep. That would have been horrifying enough as the Lannister forces already surrendered. When she started burning civilians I was like oh, okay. cool cool cool.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Raccooon posted:

jon gonna kill her and his sword will catch on fire and we'll cut to tormund finding wildlings splayed out in that spiral symbol the night king arranged bodies in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

Exactly like the spoilers that have been correct all season say it will.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's entirely possible to laugh at the people that thought dany was a good person this whole time despite horrible things she did but also realize that the showrunners hosed up completely by rushing through the last two seasons. they should've had her start going legit mad last season (in a full 10 ep season) and slowly built it up.
It's has been slowly building up though, since season 2 at least.

The problem seems to be she was presented as a straight protagonist while it was happening, so people put her in the "good guy" box in their heads and that's where she's stayed no matter what.

They turned it up to 11 the last episode for sure, which was a very abrupt change that could've benefited from a lot more buildup (just like everything else this season, it was rushed and ham fisted). But it's a lot less abrupt than people are making out, because she was at a 5 at least already. I'll reiterate, she's killed people in ways that are as cruel as any of the villains on the show. Remember when Stannis burned his daughter in one of the most harrowing scenes on loving TV? Daenerys has been doing that to people for six years.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

The first Night King was just a ruse. A trick. The real Night King would never reveal his power level so early.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Drogon, the Dothraki and the Unsullied all return to their respective home planets

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Admiral Ray posted:

jon gonna kill her and his sword will catch on fire and we'll cut to tormund finding wildlings splayed out in that spiral symbol the night king arranged bodies in.

Ending the series on some huge cliffhanger is just the kind of utter poo poo ending d&d would come up with, so I'm down

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Azhais posted:

Ending the series on some huge cliffhanger is just the kind of utter poo poo ending d&d would come up with, so I'm down

They loved how the Soprano's just cut to black so I'm expecting something outrageous.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Toplowtech posted:

GoT actually died with Strong Belwas, from a broken heart, while eating a sandwich and crying because he wasn't cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Raccooon posted:

Ends like the Nick. Cage movie Next where the holy ending was just Brans future vision and he goes I know what to do now.

It's like that scene they made up for the last Twilight movie where they had everyone getting killed in a big fight and then they were like, 'oh haha that was just a vision'

Admiral Ray posted:

They loved how the Soprano's just cut to black so I'm expecting something outrageous.

It's gonna be them focusing on Jon's face as he decides he is running away to take the black again because he's had it. end scene.