Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish
Found the unicorn.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/star-citizen-sells-concept-motorcycles-at-36-and-48.html

Joe must have shortkeys installed. Feel like I've seen him say this a few times. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

rePool posted:

Found the unicorn.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/star-citizen-sells-concept-motorcycles-at-36-and-48.html

Joe must have shortkeys installed. Feel like I've seen him say this a few times. :hmmyes:

The problem being Joe is spending an insane amount of cash on new keyboards. Because the ctrl, C and V keys break too quickly.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

tuo posted:

Question: that Shiver-guy is one of us? From the hundreds five streams I watched from that group, he seems like the mostly normal guy.

Of course, with these guys, I assume I missed some strangling or cultish behaviour....but seriously....one of us is Shiver, right?

I find I skip through a lot of those relay things because they're quite boring but the bits I've seen of Shiver he's talking the normal cultist talk (wanting the full Chris Roberts experience, bemoaning doubters, standard narratives, etc). Maybe he's more normal but I doubt anyone who makes these > hour long podcasts about Star Citizen can actually be that normal.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Peter.Quint posted:

I find I skip through a lot of those relay things because they're quite boring but the bits I've seen of Shiver he's talking the normal cultist talk (wanting the full Chris Roberts experience, bemoaning doubters, standard narratives, etc). Maybe he's more normal but I doubt anyone who makes these > hour long podcasts about Star Citizen can actually be that normal.

He's getting the full Chris Roberts experience right now. Preternatural levels of extreme incompetence and unparalleled stupidity, all documented in real-time, and easy to participate in. He couldn't possibly have been talking about a "game."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ben Lesnick, Developer

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

rePool posted:

Found the unicorn.

Those weren’t independent auditors, and the valuation has a direct impact on what 10% of the company actually is.

Right now, it’s effectively worth a liquidation of assets; the Calders are working on the basis of the sold product exceeding the current base of people who’ve already bought Squadron 42. And an actual lower valuation by liquidators means that the Calders get more of the corpse when it comes time.

Does blobers do bitcoin? I feel he should.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

Those weren’t independent auditors, and the valuation has a direct impact on what 10% of the company actually is.

Right now, it’s effectively worth a liquidation of assets; the Calders are working on the basis of the sold product exceeding the current base of people who’ve already bought Squadron 42. And an actual lower valuation by liquidators means that the Calders get more of the corpse when it comes time.

Does blobers do bitcoin? I feel he should.

Its a bit hard to call it an independent valuation when it was done by the guys giving money. That's not exactly independent, more like invested.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Its a bit hard to call it an independent valuation when it was done by the guys giving money. That's not exactly independent, more like invested.

No, it's really easy. It's an independent valuation. See? Similarly the game is good, it's been in development for only four years, Croberts was a millionaire before the kickstarter, etc.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

The Roberts Horizon : A zone of fundspace so warped and bent that most properties of money are lost upon entering, while nothing can escape, not even a game.

Sometimes, money will return to the observable universe through Yachting Radiation.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Nothing says Mother's Day quite like a space helmet and gloves, but you really take the cake with the loving gun. Really guys???

I think you'll find that the "plant" on the left is for the mother. The helmet, gloves and gun are just things the backer took off as he came out of his Star Citizen basement dwelling to congratulate his mom.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

Dark Souls is an interesting one as levelling up really is a crutch for you to overcome things that are too hard (or too bullshit) for you personally. The entire game can and has been completed with the most basic, unlevelled characters. It isn't perfect, but it is the model I wish most games followed.

Isn't that basically the Zelda 2 model of doing things?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

What else are they going to talk about? Content? The latest releases in-game? Incredible developments they've witnessed in the last patch? I could create a brand new twitter account and tweet "SC is bad" and it'd be headline news on reddit until someone else said it.

Also, they're not mad. YOU are mad. So mad, because Gio gives them money to make you more mad. He's literally purchasing your anger.
They will probably calm down in time for the actual magazine edition of the article to be published, so someone can rile them up again by posting a JPEG of the magazine.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That is a good one :allears:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sandweed posted:

As Vertisce I can say that you should stop stalking me.

Oh and also Line of the Defense is bad!

Line of Defense is only resting! Pining for the Game-of-the-year-Awards.

Everyone who says it's dead is a dirty FUDster!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Peter.Quint posted:

Yeah, but tally up the time we spend in this thread, reading about that failure of a game, or even shitposting about it.

I mean....we don't have moving pictures here, but it's not far from it. Someone do the math, please, what gets more attention in regard to time spent consuming it: this thread (per person) or the Relay thingy? I have no idea what the outcome would be, but I have a really bad feeling about it....

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sillybones posted:

Dark Souls is an interesting one as levelling up really is a crutch for you to overcome things that are too hard (or too bullshit) for you personally. The entire game can and has been completed with the most basic, unlevelled characters. It isn't perfect, but it is the model I wish most games followed.

Also, you need to play more rogue-likes.

It's got a retro feel and I'm sure I've played something exactly like it back in high school, but I can't remember which game. Maybe all of them. Back in the day, games were always like this: you were fighting the controls for the most part, you had to memorize and learn the layouts, level design didn't hand hold you. Half the difficulty I've been having is unlearning the standard control schemes nearly every other game assumes you already know. It's like driving a car where the wheel turns you the opposite way and the brake and gas pedals are reversed. It's not "hard" per se, you just have to unlearn a lot of habits.

The hardest part to me, by far, is getting all the new mechanics in my head. I don't know what to do with all this extra inventory, I realized some can be consumed for souls which appear to be currency of some kind, I bought a storage box and a repair kit which definitely opened stuff up. There's this "humanity" mechanic that does little more than confuse the gently caress out of me. But for the most part I'm coming along. Soon I will be the terror of Boneberg or whatever it's called, and then I'll move on.

Took a while to even realize the gear I started with is pretty much all I'll need, and the level-up mechanic is marginal and also not really a requirement. Very different kind of game.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When in doubt, pump endurance so you can roll around more, and wear heavier stuff.

And souls are both money and XP.

And if you get an item called Firekeeper’s Soul DO NOT “USE” IT. Give it to the lady chained up in a cell directly under the Firelink bonfire.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
I'm sad to see that CIG hasn't been confirmed yet for the PC Gaming Show at E3 2019. I was looking forward to another lame trailer that the studio audience laughs at.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Inkel posted:

I'm sad to see that CIG hasn't been confirmed yet for the PC Gaming Show at E3 2019. I was looking forward to another lame trailer that the studio audience laughs at.

They will be hanging out someplace with swag bags just outside the location.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Inkel posted:

Anyone laughing in the studio audience was just another DS alt.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Anyone laughing in the studio audience was just another DS alt.

This would make a good "Price is Right" game.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

There's a sandi joke in there, but i can't quite wrap my hands around it

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Colostomy Bag posted:

They will be hanging out someplace with swag bags just outside the location.

Bar Citizen event where they're just shotgunning warm Natural Ice out of the back of Lando's hatchback in the parking lot before security chases them off.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Speaking of gear progression, I gotta mention this because it's been bugging me. I put in my zillion or whatever requisite hours into AC:Odyssey which, in its current form, was more than worth the $5 I dropped on it. It's basically not even an Assassin's Creed game because the movement and combat are easy to control and engage in. If I'm not fighting with esoteric controls and spasmodically jumping and sticking to the wrong walls, it's not an AC game. That said, I enjoyed it nearly as much as Black Flag, which is saying something. It wasn't until I was level 70-something that I realized, why are there levels in this game? You level up incredibly rapidly so the fact that early on some zones are leveled our of your range means nothing by the time you reach them. Yet the rest of the game continuously levels with you, making your level progression not really have an impact. On top of that, the game rains gear on you, which is all the exact same gear with different levels on it. Wear the newer poo poo and keep up with it, and you can kill everything with ease. Which, in my opinion, makes the leveling pointless, and adds a lot of unnecessary maintenance activities. You're no more powerful at 70 than at 40 (assuming you've unlocked the talents you want) and the extra bonus skillpoint tree is a pointless sink that adds very minor benefit that doesn't really translate into a noticeable advantage. It's a weird mechanic that takes away from an otherwise great game.

I see a lot of things like this in games lately. Leveling that's just there to make a number happen, but doesn't inform gameplay. I'd love to see more horizontal scaling in games, where your character's power comes from slightly better gear you equip along the way, new tools, and most importantly, knowledge. The Witcher almost gets this right by making some of the tougher monsters easy or hard based on what you've learned as a player and character, rather than by tweaking health bars and hit power. I think a good feeling is when a game has experience "Situation X always made me die until I learned about Y or got ability Z now I have a strategy." Prey did a good job of this - the first few hours of that game were loving brutal to the point where I thought it was broken. By the end you're hunting those same fuckers down and it's a great feeling. Subnautica does the same thing but more with you against the situation rather than specific enemies.

What I'm getting at here is that I'm sure Chris Roberts has already figured all this out and when Star Citizen releases it will be my dream game, and everyone else's too.

Levels after there to sell the level up potions from the cash shop.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Speaking of gear progression, I gotta mention this because it's been bugging me. I put in my zillion or whatever requisite hours into AC:Odyssey which, in its current form, was more than worth the $5 I dropped on it. It's basically not even an Assassin's Creed game because the movement and combat are easy to control and engage in. If I'm not fighting with esoteric controls and spasmodically jumping and sticking to the wrong walls, it's not an AC game. That said, I enjoyed it nearly as much as Black Flag, which is saying something. It wasn't until I was level 70-something that I realized, why are there levels in this game? You level up incredibly rapidly so the fact that early on some zones are leveled our of your range means nothing by the time you reach them. Yet the rest of the game continuously levels with you, making your level progression not really have an impact. On top of that, the game rains gear on you, which is all the exact same gear with different levels on it. Wear the newer poo poo and keep up with it, and you can kill everything with ease. Which, in my opinion, makes the leveling pointless, and adds a lot of unnecessary maintenance activities. You're no more powerful at 70 than at 40 (assuming you've unlocked the talents you want) and the extra bonus skillpoint tree is a pointless sink that adds very minor benefit that doesn't really translate into a noticeable advantage. It's a weird mechanic that takes away from an otherwise great game.

I see a lot of things like this in games lately. Leveling that's just there to make a number happen, but doesn't inform gameplay. I'd love to see more horizontal scaling in games, where your character's power comes from slightly better gear you equip along the way, new tools, and most importantly, knowledge. The Witcher almost gets this right by making some of the tougher monsters easy or hard based on what you've learned as a player and character, rather than by tweaking health bars and hit power. I think a good feeling is when a game has experience "Situation X always made me die until I learned about Y or got ability Z now I have a strategy." Prey did a good job of this - the first few hours of that game were loving brutal to the point where I thought it was broken. By the end you're hunting those same fuckers down and it's a great feeling. Subnautica does the same thing but more with you against the situation rather than specific enemies.

What I'm getting at here is that I'm sure Chris Roberts has already figured all this out and when Star Citizen releases it will be my dream game, and everyone else's too.

At this point I'm pretty sure Subnautica is the best game I've ever played.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Reading up on the thread but I wanted to point out that Train simulator is at 9k for all dlc for it, however unlike sc this is a game that exists and the dlc is more than jpgs.

I just looked, the most expensive DLC for that game is $58aus, or $40usd, so for 5 bucks more, you get an actual existing extension of a existing game

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I can be angry no more, Sandi has seized my crown

"Rage" may not the most indicated game for you but they are out to get us!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Why are us all under attack?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

jarlywarly posted:

Subnautica, once again, epitomizes the argument that the thing that makes single player games great is not mechanics or story or graphical fidelity, it is flow. That game has the most intuitive flow of anything I've played in the last five years. The story's fine, the mechanics are polished but not particularly original base-building survival, and the graphics are cute but simplistic. Take those elements and put them in any other game, and you have one of a million rubber-stamp clone games on steam. It's the flow, the design of that world, that makes it so effective. That and the fact that they didn't base their progression around combat, I think- they had to make exploration the most rewarding activity because that was the main thing the player was going to do. All the other survival games focus on murder as a be-all and end-all.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jarlywarly posted:

I wish i could say the same. Everything about it is really nice, from the story, to the progression, to the graphics, to the mechanics... but it just doesn't click for me. Not sure why, it really should, it ticks all the right boxes.

Sometimes a game just does that (or not as the case may be).

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

stingtwo posted:

I just looked, the most expensive DLC for that game is $58aus, or $40usd, so for 5 bucks more, you get an actual existing extension of a existing game

I don't know if SC people set up big dioramas for their games but I know Train Simulator fans, Truck Simulator and flight simulator fans and such can spend thousands to build a simulated cockpit for their game.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I don't know if SC people set up big dioramas for their games but I know Train Simulator fans, Truck Simulator and flight simulator fans and such can spend thousands to build a simulated cockpit for their game.

Yes, they do, and in some situations it's unironically very sad.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

You can bet they do. Which pretty sad considering the game will never be out.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Neltharak posted:

Yes, they do, and in some situations it's unironically very sad.

Is it as sad as someone building a 1:1 scale boeing airliner cockpit in their home?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Is it as sad as someone building a 1:1 scale boeing airliner cockpit in their home?

It's... not really sad, tho? They are living up a passion, playing a game they enjoy and that is released, and so long it doesn't consume their life, who are we to say anything about it? Citizens won't ever play the game they build their sim pit for.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Full Version

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Iceclaw posted:

It's... not really sad, tho? They are living up a passion, playing a game they enjoy and that is released, and so long it doesn't consume their life, who are we to say anything about it? Citizens won't ever play the game they build their sim pit for.

Let's also not forget a significant number of flight sim enthusiasts are actual pilots using it to keep their real life skills up and relevant. I'm sure some day professional pirates and stranglers will have detailed wank pods to keep their real world skills up to snuff.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Store Citizer is really coming together now. Watch how this mission goes craaaaaaazy off the rails!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDITUnzOnpQ

Haha, they stole all the drugs! It took hours of hauling crates one at a time! I'm guessing the whole thing was edited to eliminate about 50,000 crashes and restarts! In the end they made 170k, almost enough for a... <checks notes>... literally nothing. You cannot buy anything with that amount of money. The most worthless ship in the game costs 250k.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also woops it turns out that the "Rental" store no longer works!
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/bod5uk/how_does_one_acquire_rec/?st=jvo7xy5h&sh=b7717523

I'm sure that'll get patched soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I mean we use the term wankpod for a reason.