Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Watching Aliens and just noticed on Frost's armor the heart and arrow with Heath written in the middle. Has this been discussed already? AVP fandom suggests it's short for Heather. I don't like that backstory as much as and prefer to think of Ricco Frost and some dude named Heath in a passionate romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It says "Health", he just livin his best life

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He's a fan of wuthering heights

Or the orange cartoon cat that isn't Garfield

But in a way that he doesn't want to make it super obvious

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Since we're chatting about The Thing now, here's a really good fanfic written from the creature's perspective. It's absolutely chilling and you should definitely read it if you haven't already.

I'm not a big fan of that story because it openly disregards and contradicts things (har har) we saw in the movie. Like, drat near every character ends up being a Thing for the entirety of the story, and Macready's blood test is apparently totally unreliable and certain Thing-people don't reveal themselves during the test because of... reasons. That and it tries to frame the Thing as a misunderstood and confused creature, when the movie really, really clearly shows the Thing operating as a malevolent, duplicitous force.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Drunken Baker posted:

Never underestimate the lengths sycophantic fans will go to in order to defend their sacred cows.

You mean like Aliens? :v:

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not a big fan of that story because it openly disregards and contradicts things (har har) we saw in the movie. Like, drat near every character ends up being a Thing for the entirety of the story, and Macready's blood test is apparently totally unreliable and certain Thing-people don't reveal themselves during the test because of... reasons. That and it tries to frame the Thing as a misunderstood and confused creature, when the movie really, really clearly shows the Thing operating as a malevolent, duplicitous force.

It's an excellent story, contradicting another story does not diminish it in any way. Do you think Carpenter's film is bad for not being 100% faithful to the original novella? I think you're reading it a bit too literally as well. It's told from the obviously extremely biased and ignorant perspective of the Thing itself. It ends with it finally figuring out the concept of individuality, and deciding that it needs to be stamped out by whatever means necessary. The final lines go:

"These poor savage things will never embrace salvation.

I will have to rape it into them."

Not exactly subtle.

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 12, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Happy birthday Xeno. Mine was the 7th.

:toot:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Happy birthday Xeno. Mine was the 7th.

:toot:

Happy birthday!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hell Stink posted:

Watching Aliens and just noticed on Frost's armor the heart and arrow with Heath written in the middle. Has this been discussed already? AVP fandom suggests it's short for Heather. I don't like that backstory as much as and prefer to think of Ricco Frost and some dude named Heath in a passionate romance.

Frost is in the film bragging about having sex with someone with a penis, so him dating a guy named Heath could happen.

There's actually a bit of some writer showing his son and friends Aliens as a chaperone for a sleepover and he forgot about that line about "Arcturian poon-tang" until it popped up, but apparently the kids were hip to it already when one of them explained to the group that Frost was probably bisexual and that was a good enough to keep the film going.

Speaking of queer themes in the Alien franchise, has anyone heard about the bit that Dallas and Lambert are transgender? Supposedly, it comes from the character notes Scott, Dan O'Bannon, and Walter Hill came up with, the idea being that transgender people were a lot more commonplace in the future. Those notes were used as part of the background text in the W-Y arbitration with Ripley in Aliens. However, the Alien Legacy boxset scrubbed those details when the character bios were made as an extra after some fans became vocal about that piece of trivia.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

On a 10 hour flight to London and just threw alien on.

The one thing that has always stood out to me is those drat drinking birds. I remember watching it as a little kid and those things stood out.

Alien is good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zartosht posted:

It's an excellent story, contradicting another story does not diminish it in any way. Do you think Carpenter's film is bad for not being 100% faithful to the original novella?
I don't quite think that's comparing apples to apples - Carpenter's movie is a remake of the novella, "The Things" is meant to be a companion piece that reinterprets the movie but is otherwise meant to exist within it. Changing key details from the original work that you're meant to tie into is more akin to, say, what the Alien prequel movies did; things like making the Space Jockey into a giant albino human, or totally discarding the "ancient cosmic horror" angle of the Xenomorph in favor of making it the science project of an unhinged android and only a couple decades old.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Young Freud posted:

Speaking of queer themes in the Alien franchise, has anyone heard about the bit that Dallas and Lambert are transgender? Supposedly, it comes from the character notes Scott, Dan O'Bannon, and Walter Hill came up with, the idea being that transgender people were a lot more commonplace in the future. Those notes were used as part of the background text in the W-Y arbitration with Ripley in Aliens. However, the Alien Legacy boxset scrubbed those details when the character bios were made as an extra after some fans became vocal about that piece of trivia.

Huh, there's a thing I didn't know.

E: Plotwise, it is a trivial point - certainly compared to the 'Dallas and Lambert were lovers' hidden plotline which cold have affected his actions towards her.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 12, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

But I like griping

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Xenomrph posted:

Today is my birthday and while I'm not thrilled with that for reasons unrelated to Aliens or this thread, expect photos of some of my random Aliens (and maybe Predator) merchandise posted later today.

Well happy burst day*.

*probably not so happy for the poor SOB that was impregnated with your egg though....

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Got my dad a cameo of Michael Biehn saying congrats on retirement to my dad, who is a sci-fi horror junkie. I was traumatized by horror movies as a kid lol.

He did a thing about my dad needing to watch out for AI/Artificial Intelligence. It was kinda nice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Runaktla posted:

Got my dad a cameo of Michael Biehn saying congrats on retirement to my dad, who is a sci-fi horror junkie. I was traumatized by horror movies as a kid lol.

He did a thing about my dad needing to watch out for AI/Artificial Intelligence. It was kinda nice.

That's awesome! Once I'm not so lazy I'll maybe do the same for us.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well I paid for Michael Biehn to send SA a message. It says I should get it within a week so we'll see. I'm not sure how busy his schedule is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well I paid for Michael Biehn to send SA a message. It says I should get it within a week so we'll see. I'm not sure how busy his schedule is.

If he's not saying to nuke the website from orbit, I'll be very disappointed.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

<Looks up IMDB>

I reckon you won't have to wait too long.

quote:

'The Farm', Action, Horror

Storyline:
A man is suddenly not alone on his farm.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fister Roboto posted:

If he's not saying to nuke the website from orbit, I'll be very disappointed.

I had 250 characters to work with and I had to edit it about 10 times to get the words in that I wanted. I may have mentioned that precisely.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I watched BlackKKlansman this weekend, and the one guy in the movie is totally a clone of Michael Biehn:

Edit: Jasper Pääkkönen
Now with a link.

He was also in Vikings

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 13, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AFewBricksShy posted:

I watched BlackKKlansman this weekend, and the one guy in the movie is totally a clone of Michael Biehn:

From The Abyss.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat. Since I asked him to do it for the SA forums he can't because it's considered "promotional." :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

What a fuckin loser.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Someone posted this in a discord chat and I noticed something.

"A Xenomorph is a furry."

No it's not!!!! :argh:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

drat. Since I asked him to do it for the SA forums he can't because it's considered "promotional." :(

have him do it for me, forums user watermelongun

tell him to say “AWOOOOOOOOOOGA” like a Tex Avery cartoon

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Someone posted this in a discord chat and I noticed something.

"A Xenomorph is a furry."

No it's not!!!! :argh:

Can I get a 2nd aye to ban you from this thread?

I'm aware who created it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Creamed Cormp posted it in a discord and I should have known from that source that I shouldn't have posted it.

I just saw a xeno and "furry" and had to post it. Please don't kill the messenger.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Don't get harsh because furries are horny for phallus-head monsters.That isn't Pennywise's fault.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Can I get a 2nd aye to ban you from this thread?

I'm aware who created it.

You can have a neigh haha like a horse which furries want to do sex to

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Better off discussing Ron Cobb, who imagined the poo poo out of just about everything

roncobb.net

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WatermelonGun posted:

have him do it for me, forums user watermelongun

tell him to say “AWOOOOOOOOOOGA” like a Tex Avery cartoon

Tell him to wish me a happy birthday or something :haw:

Additionally have him say “AWOOOOOOGA”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What a fuckin loser.
DSYP

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have Resurrection on in the background, it's been a while, and it's the director's cut. So apparently it is now canon that Walmart bought out Weyland-Yutani.

:|

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sci fi movies can be short sighted aout just how enduring the corporate titans of the day will be. Giant Atari billboards in Blade Runner, Pan Am flights to the moon in 2001...
I don't think Wal Mart will be much of a going concern in a couple hundred years.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

Sci fi movies can be short sighted aout just how enduring the corporate titans of the day will be. Giant Atari billboards in Blade Runner, Pan Am flights to the moon in 2001...
I don't think Wal Mart will be much of a going concern in a couple hundred years.

They'll just rebrand as Buy'N'Large

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

I liked that Blade Runner 2049 still included the anachronistic billboards.

‘Aliens’ has some anachronisms - the futuristic-looking pistols that Frost and Gorman carry are H&K VP-70s, which ceased production in 1989, 3 years after the movie came out. Likewise, Ripley’s interrogation at the start of the movie mentions the ICC, meant to be the Interstellar Commerce Commission, a futuristic update of the Interstate Commerce Commission... which was dissolved in 1996.

I have Resurrection on in the background, it's been a while, and it's the director's cut. So apparently it is now canon that Walmart bought out Weyland-Yutani.

:|

If it makes you feel any better, expanded universe materials set after Resurrection establish that WY reconstituted itself (although it’s a little vague how it does this).

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Xenomrph posted:

‘Aliens’ has some anachronisms - the futuristic-looking pistols that Frost and Gorman carry are H&K VP-70s, which ceased production in 1989, 3 years after the movie came out.

Not to mention the MG42 WWII machine guns

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
imagine that chart of all the phone company splits and mergers stemming from at&t except its wetland-yutani
except instead of stealing hundreds of billions of dollars in government grants that was intended for residential fiber optic wiring its some kind of brilliant WT corporate maneuvering

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

Not to mention the MG42 WWII machine guns

If Han Solo can wield a loving Mauser with a cone up front, Aliens can have MG42s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

And the thompson sunmachineguns with a bunch of plastic poo poo on them.