Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Around three years ago we decided that Anakin Skywalker being Darth Vader was expected so we decided that Padmé would be the one to do it.

She's been training her whole life for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Around three years ago we decided that Anakin Skywalker being Darth Vader was expected so we decided that Padmé would be the one to do it.

She's been training her whole life for this.

Anakin: Wow I just murdered a whole village, kids and everything.

Padme: drat Anakin that's pretty hot, let's get married.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I can't wrap my head around how this is the episode where they needed to develop Dany into an insane villain but they still spend the first part on portraying her as totally reasonable and in the right. :wtc: Like, she was absolutely right about Jon betraying her. She was absolutely right about the consequences of him betraying her. And then this totally reasonable person just snaps, for absolutely no reason and goes on a killing spree. Wtffffff

I was always in the camp of her being a lovely ruler(basically being fantasy GWB) but this garbage came out of absolutely nowhere. She slaughtered children by the thousands. That's not Bush, Bush never went on a children shooting spree. That's the Aurora cinema nail ghost guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
She slaughtered younglings!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Not just Tommen

But the Tomwomen and Tomchildren too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This time the Sand People were on her side

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This all started because a stupidly honorable Stark descendant couldn't keep his mouth shut about who some boy's real father was, and it all ends because a stupidly honorable Stark descendant couldn't keep his mouth shut about who some boy's real father was. It's like poetry. It rhymes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Opferwurst posted:

That's not Bush, Bush never went on a children shooting spree.

He had the military that he was commander in chief of do it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Ironically much like Ned, Jack was supposed to die in the Lost pilot after being set up as the hero and the main character/Leader archetype was actually going to be Rose (I think they were going to go with a Kerry Washington type) but the studio made them change it iirc

They were going to double down on that twist by casting Michael Keaton as Jack and heavily promoting it as a Michael Keaton series.

When the studio wussed out, they lost Keaton, who had no interest in being in a full series.

https://screencrush.com/michael-keaton-lost-pilot-jack-shephard/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DrNutt posted:

I thought there were rumors that they were doing a trilogy set in the Old Republic. Which despite how this season of GoT is progressing I am still 100% in for.

The old republic thing that they've confirmed is going to be a TV show.
Which sounds interesting.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
BREAKING: Woke 'Thrones' Creators Commit Unprecedented Gender Error After Eight Flawless Years

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

General Dog posted:

A key difference is that the people who bombed Dresden were not planning on immediately taking up residence in Dresden.

Another difference is that Dresden was in the midst of a long, drawn out war with progress towards victory being made very slowly and was used as a tactic to demoralize the enemy and hopefully hasten the end of the way.

Dragon-nuke happened literally after the enemy had surrendered and the war was won.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
In the end, author George R.R. Martin’s story is in part that of a woman who spent her entire life training and studying to one day become the leader of Westeros, only to become someone the country’s elites deem “too dangerous” to be allowed to take power. It looks increasingly likely that the savior of the country will be a man who knows almost nothing about ruling it. Even knowing this is based on an ending Martin had plotted out decades ago, the shades of the 2016 election are too hard to ignore.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Opferwurst posted:

I can't wrap my head around how this is the episode where they needed to develop Dany into an insane villain but they still spend the first part on portraying her as totally reasonable and in the right. :wtc: Like, she was absolutely right about Jon betraying her. She was absolutely right about the consequences of him betraying her. And then this totally reasonable person just snaps, for absolutely no reason and goes on a killing spree. Wtffffff

I was always in the camp of her being a lovely ruler(basically being fantasy GWB) but this garbage came out of absolutely nowhere. She slaughtered children by the thousands. That's not Bush, Bush never went on a children shooting spree. That's the Aurora cinema nail ghost guy.

It's really not mad queen Dany, just gas-lit queen Dany. They're bad writers. They don't know what motivates people; they lack empathy and is been evidenced they do not consider motivation and information the characters they have available would display.

Mad queen could've even worked if they just had her say something or act more irrationally about being right earlier this season, but they forgot we know what Dany looks and acts like at her highest and lowest, and her behavior doesn't fall into that spectrum anywhere -- meaning the whole thing is cheap because it's now putting the onus of figuring out the motivations onto the audience.

This has been a shortfall of later seasons. They're extrapolating that Z works narratively because Y and X, but the reality is that they're pointing at examples that aren't correlated to either of those things. Arya becoming an assassin was motivated by revenge, her stabbing the NK is narratively too important to not explain -- and not in a post script interview.

That's what is the worst storytelling crime. They're not telling us anything compelling. They're not letting us, through dialogue, flashbacks, etc understand motivations THAT ARE TRUE TO THE ESTABLISHED CHARACTER. Sure, it's better to show it, but dang, they could've even flashed images from all the times she tried to rule "nicely" and was undermined or the thing on her mind -- SOMETHING to justify an outrageous action.

Even our most cruel villains had clear motivations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zohar posted:

In the end, author George R.R. Martin’s story is in part that of a woman who spent her entire life training and studying to one day become the leader of Westeros, only to become someone the country’s elites deem “too dangerous” to be allowed to take power. It looks increasingly likely that the savior of the country will be a man who knows almost nothing about ruling it. Even knowing this is based on an ending Martin had plotted out decades ago, the shades of the 2016 election are too hard to ignore.

In the books, Dany has only been a leader for a couple of years. She spent most of her life getting abused by her rear end in a top hat brother.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

regulargonzalez posted:

Another difference is that Dresden was in the midst of a long, drawn out war with progress towards victory being made very slowly and was used as a tactic to demoralize the enemy and hopefully hasten the end of the way.

Dragon-nuke happened literally after the enemy had surrendered and the war was won.

It was basically a what if the allies had one more nuke reserved for Tokyo, and after japan surrendered after nagasaki said have a little more just in case you weren't scared enough

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zohar posted:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

kcroy posted:

Dinklage says that line at the end as if he's in a hostage video.

Mr. Dinklage, blink twice if they have a gun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I just had a caffeine-induced hallucination of the perfect final scene of the final episode, it involved Bronn, Martin, a dozen whores and the Space Jam theme. I'm sad that it will never be real :(

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zohar posted:

the central thesis of the story is that oligarchy is bad

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/game-thrones-fates-cersei-daenerys-targaryen-send-mixed-messages-about-ncna1005046

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zohar posted:

What does Daenerys actually know about how to rule the Seven Kingdoms? She knows how to conquer cities and that's it. Her response to anything about needing allies among all seven kingdoms and to work with the nobles was "They're all part of the wheel. I will break the wheel :smugdog: "

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Could some other author write the two last books and then replace Grum's character names? How much do you need to change the setting for it not to violate IP rights? I'm ready to chip in on a Kickstarter. I need some kind of closure for ASOIF

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Lol, NBC getting in on the GoT hate train but chose to go the "patriarchy is bad" angle instead of "The writing has gotten crazy awful". Gotta have priorities, I guess.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s HER TURN

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Opferwurst posted:

Could some other author write the two last books and then replace Grum's character names? How much do you need to change the setting for it not to violate IP rights? I'm ready to chip in on a Kickstarter. I need some kind of closure for ASOIF

I for one can't wait to hear if the rumors about Jomb Snug and Daniel Tergerwerger are true.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When I see Jon Snow, I immediately think of Donald Trump.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Opferwurst posted:

Yeah I agree. I feel like Dany became more sympathetic as the season progressed. She starts as this privileged outsider but she put her life on the line to defend humanity, lost some of her closest people, her boyfriend turns out to be her nephew who then blabs everything to his absurdly hostile sister, another of her advisers tries to murder her...

porfiria fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 14, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah Varys trying to poison her again seems to have gotten lost in the noise of the battle since it was so early in the episode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

Yeah I agree. I feel like Dany became more sympathetic as the season progressed. She starts as this privileged outsider but she put her life on the line to defend humanity, lost some of her closest people, her boyfriend turns out to be her nephew who then blabs everything to his absurdly hostile sister, another of her advisers tries to murder her...

Well you see, when the gods make a Targaryen they

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

porfiria posted:

Yeah I agree. I feel like Dany became more sympathetic as the season progressed. She starts as this privileged outsider but she put her life on the line to defend humanity

She keeps saying this, but had she taken kings landing without helping out she'd have been hosed, as the army of the dead would have kept marching towards KL growing in size, and with no dragonglass, they'd have to hope the NK would expose himself to someone with a valyrian steel sword (not likely since Bran would be dead).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Well you see, when the gods make a Targaryen they

Aerys, Viserys, and Dany all turned out to be lovely. Granted Dany got a helping push here and there, but in the end she's still an rear end in a top hat.

And on thinking about it I really liked the wildfire caches going off. It kinda showed that even the Mad King's most horrific plan was smaller in scale than Dany's.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aerys, Viserys, and Dany all turned out to be lovely. Granted Dany got a helping push here and there, but in the end she's still an rear end in a top hat.

And on thinking about it I really liked the wildfire caches going off. It kinda showed that even the Mad King's most horrific plan was smaller in scale than Dany's.

Between Tyrion and Cersei hadn't most of it been used up at this point

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well both Rhaegar and Aemon turned out good, so who knows, it could have ended up above 50% with Rhaegar's kids but we won't know thanks to Gregor.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Variety ranked all episodes of Game of Thrones (excluding the finale).
https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/game-of-thrones-episodes-ranked-1203212161/
Lol the writer of this list regularly has huge baby meltdowns on twitter about people not liking the latest season

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Writing...bad? How? They were just following Gurm's decades-old edicts!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zohar posted:

Between Tyrion and Cersei hadn't most of it been used up at this point

Who knows. Even all that stuff Cersei used to blow up the Sept was on a super small scale to what Dany did. Add that to the one ship in Blackwater Bay and she's still waaaaay worse than what Aerys could have pulled off.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Well both Rhaegar and Aemon turned out good, so who knows, it could have ended up above 50% with Rhaegar's kids but we won't know thanks to Gregor.

Rhaegar was a loving dumbass.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Randarkman posted:

Rhaegar was a loving dumbass.

Yeah but he wasn't evil. Jon's a dumbass but he's "good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

mp5 posted:

Yeah Varys trying to poison her again seems to have gotten lost in the noise of the battle since it was so early in the episode

Why would he poison her if she is the one that the dragon and the dothraki and unsullied listen to? Are they going to storm kings landing with a rabble of tired northmen?