Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the game informer saga with their mario party reviews still makes me laugh when I think about it. they were giving the games extremely low scores because they were consistently bad games, like 1s and 4/10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Random Stranger posted:

Continuing Dragon Quest 5 thoughts:

I reached the first twist. Now I could tell that something was coming a mile away since the opening is pretty obviously a tragic backstory, but the timeskip was handled well and once you're out of the first area the mechanics start opening up. I'm looking forward to going full pokemon on this game.

It's a great game. I've considered replaying it to see what the story is like if you pick the really awful girl to marry. I believe I read that she was added to the DS version of the game. There's some really fun writing throughout that whole game and some pretty surprising moments along the way.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rock My Socks! posted:

What are some must-haves for the system?

Dunno about must-haves, but I had a Game Gear extremely briefly and one of the few games I had for it was GG Aleste II. I think it was a JP cart, but there was no region lock or anything. It was very very impressive considering the hardware.

"How to keep your equipment clean" Ugh, I know what that is. Basically pushing you towards buying a cleaning kit. FuncoLand and their loving cleaning kits. I worked at FuncoLand in 99-00 and one of two items they made you push onto customers were cleaning kits. Grossly overpriced considering what they were (cheap plastic, canvas strips, and standard isopropyl alcohol), staff members were given a small commission for each and their sales performance were measured by the amount you could move per pay period. I was never written up for my lack of sales but I was spoken to about them frequently because I knew it was a scammy angle and never sold them unless the customer asked specifically. The other commissionable push item was a Game Informer subscription, and at that time the rag was pretty decent, so I had less of an issue recommending those.

Random Stranger posted:

Continuing Dragon Quest 5 thoughts:

I reached the first twist. Now I could tell that something was coming a mile away since the opening is pretty obviously a tragic backstory, but the timeskip was handled well and once you're out of the first area the mechanics start opening up. I'm looking forward to going full pokemon on this game.

There's more, just you wait.

Jolo posted:

It's a great game. I've considered replaying it to see what the story is like if you pick the really awful girl to marry.

It's highly amusing is what it is. She's also quite strong in combat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zand posted:

the game informer saga with their mario party reviews still makes me laugh when I think about it. they were giving the games extremely low scores because they were consistently bad games, like 1s and 4/10s

I remember them putting on the cover some PS1 Ninja game nobody remembers and doing a huge spread on it then a few months later it came out and they gave it like a 6.5 out of 10 and I was like whoa, real ethics in games journalism.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

falz posted:

Cool but it's just an article saying to check again later for content?

In all fairness that's like half the news in this thread.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Isn't Game Informer just about the only old gaming mag left outside of PC Gamer? I think they reigned in the propaganda a little bit lately and they do publish the occasional interesting article on video game related crap, things like the history of MECC, how they design Pokemon cards etc. I'd be just a tiny bit disappointed if they went under with Gamestop.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I think Electronic Gaming Monthly got revived a few years back.

JB Lars
Nov 25, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

I think Electronic Gaming Monthly got revived a few years back.

Yeah, with an editorial in one of the first issues of the revival denouncing used games as piracy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I remember that Game Informer managed to make the game for Superman Returns look cool when they had it as the cover story back in like 2006 or something

Also best old gaming magazine will always be Tips & Tricks

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

JB Lars posted:

Yeah, with an editorial in one of the first issues of the revival denouncing used games as piracy.

lmao what

JB Lars
Nov 25, 2005

My reaction entirely. Last issue I bought of that new version. I still have it around, I think. I should dig it up and transcribe the piece.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JB Lars posted:

Incredible

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

JB Lars posted:

Well then the only game I haven't pirated since 2010 is Sonic Mania. (Not counting humble bundles full of retro games I guess)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JB Lars posted:

My reaction entirely. Last issue I bought of that new version. I still have it around, I think. I should dig it up and transcribe the piece.

Holy poo poo, please do. I honestly thought EGM died again like a year or two after the revival though, and if the rest of the "new" magazine was as out of touch as that editorial...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JB Lars posted:

Oh man, I kind of miss the game industry shills declaring that buying used games was evil. That was a whole thing for a while, but I guess people laughing at them and telling them to gently caress off ended that.

Edit: Looked up monster recruitment charts for DQ5. A metal slime has 1/256 chance of recruitment when you beat one so I guess that's not happening even if I'm using them to level up my monster hoard fast.

I also ran into some kind of bug where a monster I recruited didn't appear in my wagon until I went back to the monster rancher guy, he told me I didn't have anything, and then suddenly the monster was available after that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Oh man, I kind of miss the game industry shills declaring that buying used games was evil. That was a whole thing for a while, but I guess people laughing at them and telling them to gently caress off ended that.

What actually ended that was the overwhelming shift to digital games, codes-in-boxes, DLC, and games-as-a-service models, which combine to mean that the industry no longer gives a poo poo about used physical games.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Lemon-Lime posted:

What actually ended that was the overwhelming shift to digital games, codes-in-boxes, DLC, and games-as-a-service models, which combine to mean that the industry no longer gives a poo poo about used physical games.

Well Microsoft is trying to push Game Pass hard. Their idea of the future is effectively a monthly subscription games as a service that will run on anything. I really am not comfortable with that. Granted I am the guy that buys almost every console game physically still too. It isn't as convenient but I know I will be able to play any of my games is 20 years too.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Djarum posted:

Well Microsoft is trying to push Game Pass hard. Their idea of the future is effectively a monthly subscription games as a service that will run on anything. I really am not comfortable with that. Granted I am the guy that buys almost every console game physically still too. It isn't as convenient but I know I will be able to play any of my games is 20 years too.

Not DOA 5 Ultimate. It won't let you play until you download ALL the DLC. It won't even let you download it in game. It refuses to do anything. You have to search the store for all the free ultimate DLC and hope you got them all. (There's like 30) Then you don't even have a third of the available costumes you still have to buy the rest. I JUST WANT TO PLAY DRESS UP WITH MY VIRTUAL DOLLS AND MAKE THEM FIGHT!

Edit: searching the Microsoft store for a anything is a nightmare let alone churning through the 200 DOA5 DLCs looking for the right ones.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 15, 2019

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

RodShaft posted:

Not DOA 5 Ultimate. It won't let you play until you download ALL the DLC. It won't even let you download it in game. It refuses to do anything. You have to search the store for all the free ultimate DLC and hope you got them all. (There's like 30) Then you don't even have a third of the available costumes you still have to buy the rest. I JUST WANT TO PLAY DRESS UP WITH MY VIRTUAL DOLLS AND MAKE THEM FIGHT!

Edit: searching the Microsoft store for a anything is a nightmare let alone churning through the 200 DOA5 DLCs looking for the right ones.

Oh god that Microsoft store is a loving nightmare. There is still not a way to see what you have bought easily.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im still genuinely delighted Microsoft has made it possible for me to play my digital titles bought in 2007 on a sequel device in 2019. I like the disc thing as well but obviously thats a little funny since you arent actually playing the disc.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Zand posted:

I also remember a period where they flat-out said something like, "We are giving every Army Men game from here on out a 1/10 until they start doing something other than release the same garbage every two months."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you were a big Electronic Gaming Monthly fan back in the day, give this podcast a listen. I found it really interesting just how much BS went on behind the scenes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Djarum posted:

I also buy a lot of my games on disc for various reasons, but there are a frightening number of games that at least need patches, if not full-blown internet connectivity. Here are some fun (?) examples.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is missing one of the game DLCs from the disc, because it wasn't ready in time for when the discs were pressed. The remaining DLC is only playable via a patch.
Street Fighter V has two different disc versions that are out there, each of which is just at a different patch level (1.0 versus 2.0). You only get the base 16 playable unless you have internet connectivity initially to get DLC or whatever use rights sorted. You're looking at a 22 gig patch at minimum.
Halo MCC requires a full 72 gig redownload to be patched.
Overwatch does a complete redownload of the game on PS4 and Xbox One, the disc is just a license now since the game is online only. Ditto for Black Ops 4, The Division 2 and I think a few other games, especially online-only ones. Some games like Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 still make use of the disc's data so they save 30-40 gigs of downloading, but you still have 40-80 gigs of downloading to look forward to.
In order to prevent a disc leak from causing premature spoilers, Kingdom Hearts III intentionally doesn't have some ending cutscene stuff on the disc. You must patch for this to be accessible.
There's a nice stack of games on Switch where the publisher cheaped out on the cart size and mandate a download for the game to be meaningfully playable. 2K is particularly egregious with this, but they aren't alone.
Many of Nintendo's own titles had a decent post-launch set of feature additions. A good thing, but again you're not getting these without internet/server connectivity.
A stupid number of games are broken at launch in various ways and effectively required a day one update to not be a trainwreck.

Later pressings of games which aren't just new 1.0 discs and include everything post-launch without needing a DLC voucher are frustratingly rare.

There are a few games with strange regional differences, in some cases to account for language options.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War, for example, has a "Definitive Edition" more or less worldwide, however in North America it's "1.0 disc plus a season pass code"; in Europe and South-East Asia you get two discs and you get to straight-install the game and its DLC.

Diablo III: Eternal Edition in North America is a rolled-up version, you install it and the Necromancer is playable immediately. In Europe it's a weird 1.0 disc where the disc also has the Necromancer DLC license embedded, but said Necro isn't accessible until you download the game's patch which is about 10 gigs for the EU version.

There are a very tiny number of games which stay as-released with their 1.0 or whatever was on the disc. Almost always this isn't the game's first release; it's a remastered PS3 game, or a late Western release of a Japanese game that had its bugs fixed well before Western release, stuff like that.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
On the other hand, once the online is shut down, there’s no fear of getting banned so you can jailbreak and patch manually. Which is still a pain compared to “put in cartridge/disc, play game,” but at least it’ll be possible as long as the game itself doesn’t need to phone home.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

rujasu posted:

I also remember a period where they flat-out said something like, "We are giving every Army Men game from here on out a 1/10 until they start doing something other than release the same garbage every two months."

even as a kid i knew gaming media was all crooked, but i was still dumb enough that little token things like that earned my trust

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I like how there's still no Sega CD ODE but there's one for the FM Towns Marty

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

This is why I've given up on physical releases. I wrestled with the idea for a long time, but at the end of the day preserving the game in its ideal form is my priority. This is my philosophy/justification for my Everdrives with complete ROM sets, and my whole retro set up in general.
So I feel like buying a 1.0 disc is really pretty useless towards this goal. I'll have some form of the game if the servers eventually go down but it won't be how the game was meant to be played.
Ideally I guess I should be making multiple backup hard drives of all my digital content but I've been too lazy so far.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dragon Quest V pokeymen journey update: there's six recruitable monsters in the area. I decided to just grind until I recruited one of them. I have not recruited anything with over an hour of doing this, though my slime is now almost ready to start racing. I have open slots in my party, in fact I went back and dumped off everyone who wasn't just hanging out in the front line to make sure I had open slots. Now not all of them are the same difficulty to recruit, but you'd think after around a hundred fights I'd catch somebody!

On the positive side, I'm definitely overleveled for the next gym leader.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I like how there's still no Sega CD ODE but there's one for the FM Towns Marty

A Sega CD is leagues more complicated than the FM Towns Marty's CD drive. It's almost passive compared all the IC's than on a Sega CD that have be programmed on the FPGA.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pegnose Pete posted:

This is why I've given up on physical releases. I wrestled with the idea for a long time, but at the end of the day preserving the game in its ideal form is my priority. This is my philosophy/justification for my Everdrives with complete ROM sets, and my whole retro set up in general.
So I feel like buying a 1.0 disc is really pretty useless towards this goal. I'll have some form of the game if the servers eventually go down but it won't be how the game was meant to be played.
Ideally I guess I should be making multiple backup hard drives of all my digital content but I've been too lazy so far.

I doubt that any console maker or developer is going to turn off DRM once they pull the plug. Your games are going to be unplayable.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A Sega CD is leagues more complicated than the FM Towns Marty's CD drive. It's almost passive compared all the IC's than on a Sega CD that have be programmed on the FPGA.

Could still replace just the CD drive itself, Dreamcast or Saturn style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think you're forgetting how fatally buggy even the best games on old consoles can be. Patches are a Good Thing and your Day One patch comes from developers being able to keep om working PAST that arbitrary date to press the gold master right up until the ACTUAL release date.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

I also buy a lot of my games on disc for various reasons, but there are a frightening number of games that at least need patches, if not full-blown internet connectivity. Here are some fun (?) examples.

One more game that's tangential to your lists: most versions of 007 Legends, the final Eurocom Bond game from several years ago, did not have the final act of the game on the disc because MGM or whoever didn't want Skyfall spoilers to leak, so they forced Activision to release it as a free digital update after the movie came out. The servers for that game are down so that content is completely lost for most versions of the game, and it's a pretty significant chunk of the game too.

The Wii U version, which came out a couple months later than the others, is now the only version that lets you play that final act.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

azurite posted:

Could still replace just the CD drive itself, Dreamcast or Saturn style.

That’s still complicated. They have to program not only the CD I/O but an entire 68k, sound hardware, etc.. It’s not just a simple replacement yet.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So...I have a really old G6 Lite for the DS Lite and forgot about the whole passme process. I have a couple other DS Lites I need to reflash with passme but have no clue how to do it now. I had an EZ pass way back when but don't know where it is now.

Anyone know if there's a way for me to hack these using an R4i Gold 3DS Plus (gently caress that's a long name).

Edit: ah found it!
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/FlashMe

Bank fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 15, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We are definitwly at the point where if you want a perserved copy of a game you need both it and all its patches. Once youre at that point the physical disc is irrelevant anyway.

Spyro remastwr is gonna have the same issue since the game comes with 1/3rd the games in the package.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
PS3 and Xbox 360 hacking scenes have this pretty well managed. Everything is archived and pretty seamless to apply updates and DLC. I imagine the PS4 scene is similar but with the Xbox one being unhacked up to this point that one is probably a question mark.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I wanted to pick up Mega Man Legacy for Switch but only half the games are on the cartridge. I think the same goes for the Mega Man X collection too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GutBomb posted:

PS3 and Xbox 360 hacking scenes have this pretty well managed. Everything is archived and pretty seamless to apply updates and DLC. I imagine the PS4 scene is similar but with the Xbox one being unhacked up to this point that one is probably a question mark.

Also no system is perfect, and eventually whoever owns the hardware in question is gonna stop trying to plug holes. Past that point somebody will crack the console wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That’s still complicated. They have to program not only the CD I/O but an entire 68k, sound hardware, etc.. It’s not just a simple replacement yet.

I brought up the DC and Saturn comparison because they have ODEs available that physically replace the CD assembly and only the CD assembly. The rest of the console remains more or less intact.

I realize the Sega CD is not just a drive. However the CD drive is a component of it, and that component can be replaced or bypassed.