Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Think I might just stick with alert, I need to top the order if I want to get advantage, and being immune to being surprised/snuck up on seems fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'd rather drop variant entirely and just make normal human not awful so you'd still have a reason to play a human.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Anyone have any good let’s play podcasts of D&D (any edition really) that aren’t too memey or rightist?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

In fact, the Fighter/Gloom Stalker combo is a way stronger "1st turn nuke" setup: eight 1d8+1d6+15 attacks, all with advantage, and two of them with an additional 1d8 on top. And you know what? That's perfectly fine - a focused, optimized level 14 archer should be good at its job. It's not going to break anything.

Sorry to necro this from a few pages back, but I was away for the weekend. Where is the advantage for this coming from? I figured out the rest, (Fighter 11/Ranger 3 - Action Surge + Hunter's Mark + Dread Ambusher) but not that part (There may be multiple options? The one I saw that seems most obvious was Fighting Spirit from Samurai, but the fact you said fighter rather than Samurai makes me wonder if there are other ways).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Gloomstalkers, through their 3rd level ability Umbral Sight, are invisible to creatures who rely on darkvision to see them while in darkness (and have +30ft darkvision if you're already getting it from any other source), so it's fairly easy to position yourself away from any lights to count as Heavily Obscured and thus gain advantage on all your attacks.

They are legit better assassins than the Assassin archetype.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 14, 2019

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Aha. Amazing, and then you could combine that with BM for a stronger fighter side. Thanks!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

I more meant the whole "hobgoblins are an aggressive, expansionist power" and I then compare it to all the human kingdoms and just sort of raise an eyebrow.

I find most fiction and D&D stuff does not tend to treat them differently. Hobgoblins culturally are an aggressive expansionist power. But aggressive human kingdoms are treated just as villainously as them. Evil Empires tend to be the villains no matter what race is running them.

Take Greyhawk for example, roughly half of the map is covered in evil empires and kingdoms, most of them human. One of them the Scarlet Brotherhood are basically Nazis. The only one considered worse is the Empire of Iuz which is run by the God of Pain and Oppression.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Anyone have any good let’s play podcasts of D&D (any edition really) that aren’t too memey or rightist?

I listen to The Adventure Zone, Critical Role, and Dungeons And Daddies.

You're probably already familiar with the first two, but Dungeons And Daddies is only like right episodes in. It's about four dads end up in the Forgotten Realms looking for their kids. Anthony Burch is the DM, and Freddie Wong, Will Campos, Matt Arnold, and Beth May play the four dads. It's really good so far, but it's honestly probably a bit to memey for you. I can't shut up about it though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Marathanes posted:

Aha. Amazing, and then you could combine that with BM for a stronger fighter side. Thanks!

Samurai does let you pull off a fun first turn nova at like level 18, but probably not worth it over Battlemaster in the end.

Also, make sure to check if your GM allows for Revised Ranger, which pushes the multiclass even further with the insanely frontloaded early levels.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 14, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soysaucebeast posted:

I listen to The Adventure Zone, Critical Role, and Dungeons And Daddies.

You're probably already familiar with the first two, but Dungeons And Daddies is only like right episodes in. It's about four dads end up in the Forgotten Realms looking for their kids. Anthony Burch is the DM, and Freddie Wong, Will Campos, Matt Arnold, and Beth May play the four dads. It's really good so far, but it's honestly probably a bit to memey for you. I can't shut up about it though.

I mean, my ear-time is p.worthless so I'll give all three a try. Worst thing that happens is I come back here and bitch about it but even that seems kinda :effort: for me, IMO?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Alright, going now off the recent discussion of BM vs Samurai - for a gishy sorc build taking 4-6 levels in fighter depending on how many ASIs I end up wanting (already not an optimal build, I know), is BM or SAM the better choice? The character is only 1/2 Fighter/Divine Soul at the moment, but I'm trying to plot out where to go from here. Primarily I'm responsible in the party for frontline DPR and spot healing if needed (in a 6 person party, a Paladin and I are the only people that can heal at all - our current strategy, which seems to work okay, if not great, is just to murder the enemy before healing becomes necessary - our Abjurer will hopefully be able to help more with that as time goes on).

At a certain point, being able to get shadow blade up and running, then using appropriate blade cantrips can kick out respectable damage (Assuming level 8 - 5 DS/3 Fighter - 3d8+1d8+potentially/ideally more per attack, with potentially 7 attacks (twin blade cantrip, twin action surge blade cantrip, quicken blade cantrip, reaction twin blade cantrip in a round) assuming I'm willing to suboptimally burn sorc points for more attacks. But which fighter archetype plays into it the best?

BM seems to give a lot of versatility, and fits my dex based flamboyant, swashbuckly caster/fighter character well with options like parry, riposte, and feint. Precision attack would likely replace one of those just because it's so good, and because it would help to assure sorc points didn't get wasted by missing a twinned attack. However, only ever having 4 d8s for superiority dice makes this somewhat less attractive.

However, the SAM level 3 fighting spirit would still allow for a pretty drat mean nova, and assure the attacks are more likely to hit, at the expense of losing the quickened spell (which is the least efficient use of sorc points in the nova as is). It would also give 3 uses per short rest, which would likely last longer than the 4 superiority dice would. SAM could fit pretty easily into my character concept as a cool discipline underlying the flamboyant, swashbuckly bits.

The others don't seem to offer much to this sort of build. AA and EK are clearly out, Cavalier and Banneret also don't offer any additional offense. Champion doesn't offer too much with just the 19-20 critical but I'm not sure if I'm missing something else. Also let me know if I'm somehow misreading this and I have something wrong about how this should shake out. Thanks as always for pointers / feedback!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Note that Fighting Spirit recharges on LONG rest for some loving reason. So the Superiority Dice would likely end up giving you more if you get even one short rest in a day. Assuming you REALLY want this specific combination of classes, BM is almost certainly your best bet.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Thank you for pointing out that mistake to me, and for the input. I figured BM would probably be best in the end, and BM was my plan since the beginning, but I wanted to see if SAM might be a contender. The class combo, as I said, is knowingly suboptimal, but it's what I have and what I wanted at the core, so I'm trying to do my best with the concept to make sure I'm still carrying as much weight as possible, since we have some newbies and other folks that don't really care to optimize at the table.

I honestly don't think, in ~3-4 years of playing 5e, that I've ever taken a short rest. If I ever did, over the course of 4 separate campaigns, it would have only been a few times. I think others have pointed out that this is an issue at other tables broadly. I'll talk to my DM and see what his plans are for short vs long rests and how long short rests take, etc. SAM might be a better choice if we're never going to really get shorts.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone got any good articles on a good Session 0?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Marathanes posted:

Thank you for pointing out that mistake to me, and for the input. I figured BM would probably be best in the end, and BM was my plan since the beginning, but I wanted to see if SAM might be a contender. The class combo, as I said, is knowingly suboptimal, but it's what I have and what I wanted at the core, so I'm trying to do my best with the concept to make sure I'm still carrying as much weight as possible, since we have some newbies and other folks that don't really care to optimize at the table.

I honestly don't think, in ~3-4 years of playing 5e, that I've ever taken a short rest. If I ever did, over the course of 4 separate campaigns, it would have only been a few times. I think others have pointed out that this is an issue at other tables broadly. I'll talk to my DM and see what his plans are for short vs long rests and how long short rests take, etc. SAM might be a better choice if we're never going to really get shorts.

My groups take plenty of short rests, mostly because there are clearly telegraphed mid dungeon spots with campfires or otherwise designated "relatively safe" spaces with a clearly signposted "bad stuff this way" ahead. Or I just bake them into traveling from point a to point b on the world map (i.e. you travel for a few hours at a leisurely pace, count it as a short rest).

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Yeah, this is true in OD&D. Law is conflated with communal values and Chaos with individualist ones, and the early books basically said outright that chaotic behavior tended to resemble "evil". You could be a chaotic hero or lawful villain in theory, but in practice that isn't how things worked.

Re: the politics question, I honestly think it's fair to map Good/Evil to the Left/Right axis and Law/Chaos to Auth/Anti-auth on the political compass. A sane, rational Chaotic Evil person is basically just a "true" objectivist: the only thing that matters is what they want, and they don't give a gently caress about the damage they cause other people or society in the taking.

This is so wrong. Its hard to even even address this. You cannot map D&D alignments to real life political structures.

Now you can map Law / Chaos to political structures in like Warhammer but it doesn't make any sense in D&D.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone played an evil campaign without it devolving into constant theft and random murder? Just because you’re a bad guy doesn’t mean you’re a bad guy, to quote a movie.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

change my name posted:

Has anyone played an evil campaign without it devolving into constant theft and random murder? Just because you’re a bad guy doesn’t mean you’re a bad guy, to quote a movie.

Just like an ordinary heroic campaign, you need to have hooks for a bigger plot, or players quickly become murderhobos.

I once played an evil campaign where the players were the devil and four horsemen of the Apocalypse (in humanoid form) and traveled around planting the seeds of destruction, causing wars, tempting mortals to indulge their darker natures... it was great fun and some great roleplaying.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I played in a campaign years ago that was basically our party, which was predominantly a bunch of selfish assholes (probably half of us had some form of evil alignment), vs an evil overlord that was after us for nicking his magic book, vs a wicked powerful necromancer who was also after us because he wanted that drat book. The book had chosen our wizard as its owner, so to get their hands on it, he would have to die, and though we were evil, we were still friends and didn't want him to get murdalized (not to mention they would probably murder the rest of us as well and we stood a better chance of survival by sticking together). We weren't traditional heroes, but we did a lot of heroic poo poo just trying to save our own drat hides from these fellas and their minions who were after us and were even more unscrupulous than we were. Sure, we lied, cheated and stole when we needed to, but mostly we were just trying to survive half of the time. A lot of notable Realms locations and other old supplements made an appearance (Undermountain, Dragon Mountain) and the DM was really good at leading us to choices that weren't super railroaded (the conceit of the campaign was that the book was sealed and we had to find all the seals to unlock it, which would be our best chance of surviving), but at the same time gave us a chance to make allies among good inclined folks that probably wouldn't have ever helped us out if we didn't have this book and weren't clearly the lesser evil compared to the other parties that were after it. Many of the evil party members evolved to neutral or good over the course of the campaign, if only because we began to realize how this magic book (an artifact that ensured nothing written in it was ever forgotten) could really gently caress up the world if any of the folks hunting us for it got their hands on it, and because of the help others gave us along the way.

Long story short - an evil party can work if their enemies are even worse, and/or if they are forced to work together to survive (and don't tear themselves apart with infighting).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

change my name posted:

I have seen Lawful Evil players gently caress people horribly over poorly worded demands. It beat chaotic evil murder hobos.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

The way I see it, you can play Evil vs. Good as selfish vs. altruistic tendencies. That means you probably have to work a little harder (as DM or player) to come up with motivations for working together, but it's not impossible.

Personally all my successful "evil" games have been in VtM (I mean you're a loving vampire, support for being evil is built into the game), worst person I've played in D&D is LN.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I’m about to enter a game as an LE kobold rogue and I think I’ll steal things to give the other party members as gifts, to establish positive relations with my new packmates, on whom my survival and wellbeing will depend.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I’m about to enter a game as an LE kobold rogue and I think I’ll steal things to give the other party members as gifts, to establish positive relations with my new packmates, on whom my survival and wellbeing will depend.
Just straight lying to people is a move not enough PCs take. Not as a distraction, just straight up forment intrigue. Be evil, lie to people, destroy friendships and supporters and take advantage of the chaos you cause. Littlefinger is evil, too, and on the plus side, his evil doesn't have to be at the expense of the rest of the party.

Blackmail, too. Tricking people into doing bad things (that you make sure are bad things), and then getting favors out of them), classic evil move.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

had this idea for playing a tabaxi ranger where I'd go out into the wilderness and bring back goblin limbs for my party to show that I really appreciate them

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

change my name posted:

I ran a Ranger in 13th Age that woulda been Neutral Evil in 5e. Its surprisingly easy. The things that kept people guessing on his alignment:

Picked a big fluffy dog as a companion

Bought gifts for party members

Genuinely cared for aforementioned dog

Tipped generously

We were halfway through the game before it tipped that he was an absolute fucker to everyone not in the party, used his dog as an excuse to get overly violent, and was overtipping to willfully crash economies.

On our last mission it came out that his plan for the artifact we were chasing was to overpopulate dogs everywhere so they would outcompete and starve out magical creatures.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah you just have to give them a hook. If players don't have a motivation they'll find their own and without alignment to guide them away from acting like total bastards, their motivation will become "gently caress that guy in particular"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Marathanes posted:

Alright, going now off the recent discussion of BM vs Samurai - for a gishy sorc build taking 4-6 levels in fighter depending on how many ASIs I end up wanting (already not an optimal build, I know), is BM or SAM the better choice? The character is only 1/2 Fighter/Divine Soul at the moment, but I'm trying to plot out where to go from here. Primarily I'm responsible in the party for frontline DPR and spot healing if needed (in a 6 person party, a Paladin and I are the only people that can heal at all - our current strategy, which seems to work okay, if not great, is just to murder the enemy before healing becomes necessary - our Abjurer will hopefully be able to help more with that as time goes on).

At a certain point, being able to get shadow blade up and running, then using appropriate blade cantrips can kick out respectable damage (Assuming level 8 - 5 DS/3 Fighter - 3d8+1d8+potentially/ideally more per attack, with potentially 7 attacks (twin blade cantrip, twin action surge blade cantrip, quicken blade cantrip, reaction twin blade cantrip in a round) assuming I'm willing to suboptimally burn sorc points for more attacks. But which fighter archetype plays into it the best?

BM seems to give a lot of versatility, and fits my dex based flamboyant, swashbuckly caster/fighter character well with options like parry, riposte, and feint. Precision attack would likely replace one of those just because it's so good, and because it would help to assure sorc points didn't get wasted by missing a twinned attack. However, only ever having 4 d8s for superiority dice makes this somewhat less attractive.

However, the SAM level 3 fighting spirit would still allow for a pretty drat mean nova, and assure the attacks are more likely to hit, at the expense of losing the quickened spell (which is the least efficient use of sorc points in the nova as is). It would also give 3 uses per short rest, which would likely last longer than the 4 superiority dice would. SAM could fit pretty easily into my character concept as a cool discipline underlying the flamboyant, swashbuckly bits.

The others don't seem to offer much to this sort of build. AA and EK are clearly out, Cavalier and Banneret also don't offer any additional offense. Champion doesn't offer too much with just the 19-20 critical but I'm not sure if I'm missing something else. Also let me know if I'm somehow misreading this and I have something wrong about how this should shake out. Thanks as always for pointers / feedback!

Just stick to Fighter 1, maybe Fighter 2 for Action Surge. Champion's expanded critical range is in fact nice if you plan to use Shadow Blade extensively (in darkness/dim-light, with Elven Accuracy), but a) Sorcerer progression is better and b) there are also generally better uses of your Concentration than Shadow Blade, like Twinned Haste or Twinned Polymorph or Twinned Greater Invisibility.

(Since you're a Divine Soul, there's also Twinned Shield of Faith, Twinned Protection from G&E, and Spirit Guardians)

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 14, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

change my name posted:

I tried so hard to make it work, it didn't. A year and a half of running from town to town loving up jobs and running from the authorities before they ended the world.

Also if you're still looking for a group, my table is in much better shape now with a catering/restauranteur campaign that is decidedly not murerhobo'ing. You should come to one of AR's game nights to hang, and I can find a way to write in another employee if you end up in.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I was def planning to go to at least 3 in fighter, and once I do that it seems foolish to not go to 4 to pick up the ASI. Fighter 5-6 is something I've been debating a lot over but honestly they're almost certainly not worth it. I was planning on using shadow blade a lot (though we do have one human in the party that threatens to foul that up anyways), but you're very right that twinned haste/greater invis are drat powerful, and will be especially so since we have 2 sorcs in our 6 person party.

If I elect to not use shadow blade and instead haste myself and our paladin or fighter, I guess my default turns look like - action blade cantrip (potential twin), haste action blade cantrip (potential twin), any potential bonus action spell/quickened spell, and a reaction spell or OA/War Caster opportunity blade cantrip. I'd be losing a d8 or two per attack by using a rapier instead of shadow blade, but that'd likely be more than made up for by the twinned haste on the paladin or fighter. Greater invis would cost an attack but disadvantage to be hit and advantage to hit are huge, especially twinned.

You've got me mostly sold on that, but my mind is stuck on getting to at least fighter 3 - it seems like I lose out on some really solid potential offensive benefits by not going to at least fighter 3, but that's likely completely offset by additional sorc progression, (especially once I get 3rd/4th level sorc spells) eh? Haste is just so drat good.

So when should I snag the 2nd level in fighter? I was planning on just nabbing it early on, as my next (4th) level, but perhaps I should make it my 7th level, after I grab Haste?

Did they errata something about Spirit Guardians or something? I swear I had looked at that and thought it wasn't twinnable (I think it targets self). The other low level cleric spells for twinning are very helpful.

Thanks for your input, as always, Conspiratiorist.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nephzinho posted:

I tried so hard to make it work, it didn't. A year and a half of running from town to town loving up jobs and running from the authorities before they ended the world.

Also if you're still looking for a group, my table is in much better shape now with a catering/restauranteur campaign that is decidedly not murerhobo'ing. You should come to one of AR's game nights to hang, and I can find a way to write in another employee if you end up in.

Ah cool, maybe. How does a restaurant-focused campaign work even?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is there a professional-sounding D&D podcast that's funny/goon-ran, like the 40K Badcast?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Marathanes posted:

I was def planning to go to at least 3 in fighter, and once I do that it seems foolish to not go to 4 to pick up the ASI. Fighter 5-6 is something I've been debating a lot over but honestly they're almost certainly not worth it. I was planning on using shadow blade a lot (though we do have one human in the party that threatens to foul that up anyways), but you're very right that twinned haste/greater invis are drat powerful, and will be especially so since we have 2 sorcs in our 6 person party.

If I elect to not use shadow blade and instead haste myself and our paladin or fighter, I guess my default turns look like - action blade cantrip (potential twin), haste action blade cantrip (potential twin), any potential bonus action spell/quickened spell, and a reaction spell or OA/War Caster opportunity blade cantrip. I'd be losing a d8 or two per attack by using a rapier instead of shadow blade, but that'd likely be more than made up for by the twinned haste on the paladin or fighter. Greater invis would cost an attack but disadvantage to be hit and advantage to hit are huge, especially twinned.

You've got me mostly sold on that, but my mind is stuck on getting to at least fighter 3 - it seems like I lose out on some really solid potential offensive benefits by not going to at least fighter 3, but that's likely completely offset by additional sorc progression, (especially once I get 3rd/4th level sorc spells) eh? Haste is just so drat good.

So when should I snag the 2nd level in fighter? I was planning on just nabbing it early on, as my next (4th) level, but perhaps I should make it my 7th level, after I grab Haste?

Did they errata something about Spirit Guardians or something? I swear I had looked at that and thought it wasn't twinnable (I think it targets self). The other low level cleric spells for twinning are very helpful.

Thanks for your input, as always, Conspiratiorist.

Sadly you can't cast spells with your additional Haste action, but it's very worth it nevertheless if you're hasting a paladin alongside yourself. As for Spirit Guardians, sorry didn't mean to imply it was - just that it's a good concentration spell used as is.

As for when to grab Action Surge, I'd want until after Sorcerer 6. Sorcerer progression is just so strong, you know? More spells, more slots, more Sorcery Points. If your table is being generous with Short Rests then I can see the point of grabbing Battle Master.

Honestly though, I think the character concept you were going for would've worked better mechanically as either a pure Eldritch Knight (gets to grab Shadow Blade at level 8), or by taking a single level of Hexblade instead of Fighter.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
It probably would have purely mechanically been better, but I'm willing to make a few concessions for the sake of the character feeling right in my mind - which is why I may yet juggle the idea of taking a 3rd level for BM stuff, but if I do it'll be later and once I get war caster and haste I may never look back. I don't love the idea of being a buffbot, but being a selfish assmaster that only uses my concentration on myself is worse - Spirit Guardians may be a good middle ground when i feel like being blastier/rolling more dice personally with my concentration - convince the other sorc or the abjurer to haste the fighter and paladin and I can just roll with them and ghost some fools. We'll see how it plays out.

Thankfully making a few concessions for the sake of flavor isn't such a bad thing at my table, and I'm definitely trying to be as good as I can be given such concessions, but as you've said before, that is not the case at all tables, hence why I'm always happy for the input you and others have.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Marathanes posted:

It probably would have purely mechanically been better, but I'm willing to make a few concessions for the sake of the character feeling right in my mind - which is why I may yet juggle the idea of taking a 3rd level for BM stuff, but if I do it'll be later and once I get war caster and haste I may never look back. I don't love the idea of being a buffbot, but being a selfish assmaster that only uses my concentration on myself is worse - Spirit Guardians may be a good middle ground when i feel like being blastier/rolling more dice personally with my concentration - convince the other sorc or the abjurer to haste the fighter and paladin and I can just roll with them and ghost some fools. We'll see how it plays out.

Thankfully making a few concessions for the sake of flavor isn't such a bad thing at my table, and I'm definitely trying to be as good as I can be given such concessions, but as you've said before, that is not the case at all tables, hence why I'm always happy for the input you and others have.
A Hasted Rogue plus Commander's Strike can do three sneak attacks per round, too, which isn't nothing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Infinite Karma posted:

A Hasted Rogue plus Commander's Strike can do three sneak attacks per round, too, which isn't nothing.

They only get 1 reaction per round so no, two SAs per round is the cap (except for level 17 Thief Rogue).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Conspiratiorist posted:

They only get 1 reaction per round so no, two SAs per round is the cap (except for level 17 Thief Rogue).
My bad, that was obvious. Yeah, buff/Haste the martials. Playing D&D as moneyball where you rely on probability and buffs to carry the day instead of "moar damage now" can be really satisfying, and lets you keep your best spell slots and other limited resources in your back pocket for when you really need them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

change my name posted:

Ah cool, maybe. How does a restaurant-focused campaign work even?

Basically each scenario is "we have an event to cook for, we are going to make this dish, we have this many days to prepare". They have a list of ingredients to go after, some purchased, some bartered, some adventured/hunted, all of varying degrees. Party prioritizes what they want to get and where they want to go within their time limit. After they prep, cooking time is just a d20 check that they might be proficient in, or have some bonuses from good equipment. 1-5 you've ruined the dish (-5 on subsequent checks), 6-10 it was bad (-3), 11-15 meh (0), 16-20 (+3) came out great, 21+ masterpiece (+5). Ingredients scale up to the head chef NPC's final check with the same sliding scale of success. They roleplay through service and are graded based on the quality of the dish, any sides/drinks they come up with, and the service. Some events are more intense than others (I'm going to have a game show at some point where cooking requires you to be in the oven and take passive damage the whole time unless you can fireproof yourself, fighting NPC contestants for ingredients, etc).

Example: for bulette wellington they needed to make a puff pastry (d20 pastry check, +3 because they bartered for some fresh butter), a red wine glaze (d20 mixology check, +3 thanks to having some really nice herbs), a bulette filet (d20 quartermaster check, +0 because it was an elderly one on the edge of the nest), and mushrooms (these were a flat +5 from procuring them in the forest). The head chef rolled d20+proficiency+0 for the mediocre cut meat+3 for the nice glaze+5 for the mushrooms-3 for the messed up pastry. He ended up with an 11, a serviceable dish but not a knockout. The service was good and they used the rest of the red wine in a great cocktail. They ended up with an overall positive review, but 0 stars.

The cooking minigame is meant to be a way of giving them options in what adventuring they want to do and act as a bit of a clock on events to prevent constant resting. Episodic nature makes it easy to keep up to date on what's happening. Restaurant setting makes it easy to add and drop players due to scheduling issues or PC death because the help wanted sign can always go in the window. Kitchen minigames provide me with lots of ways to hand out loot without destroying combat, and even the most OP kitchen tool is still just going to cap out at giving
the head chef's roll a slightly better mod. Right now it is the pastry chef, bartender, quartermaster, and busboy. Head chef is an NPC warlock with a patron rat.

We also order burritos and drink several bottles of wine.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
A new version of the Artficer is out on UA.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer-returns

It looks a lot better than the previous version.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Let's say you have a level 12 party of six people and five of them are hilariously bad at doing damage. What would you play to try and cover for that? Right now I'm an Eldritch Knight and it's working pretty well, but I'm getting that itch to alter the character.

e: rest of the party is life cleric, shepherd druid, devotion paladin (does decent damage, misses a lot of sessions), some sort of ranger (misses a lot of sessions), and a sorcerer (also does plenty of damage, but relies on fire spells a lot and uh...we're fighting a lot of demons and devils right now).

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

wokow6 posted:

A new version of the Artficer is out on UA.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer-returns

It looks a lot better than the previous version.

Lol get hosed Beastmaster Ranger, the Battle Smith is the real pet class. Bonus action commands, better HP and AC than animal companions, self healing, the Protection Fighting Style ability just to start.

Edit: Didn't even notice Battle Smith gets to use Int for attack and damage with magic weapons

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 15, 2019