Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Doesn’t literally everyone who wears a scouter and obsesses over The Big Number get their poo poo pushed in and/or murdered by someone who doesn’t?

Am I crazy or is it not the whole deal that trying to quantify this stuff like that is pointless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone who cares about power levels gets their asses kicked and the only character who uses power levels to flex is Frieza who also doesn't bother keeping track of his own power level outside of amused ramblings that are clearly him just trying to scare the protagonists

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Power level numbers stop being a thing anyone cares about after the Frieza Saga.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Power levels both showed up and went away when Freiza and his forces who rely upon number readings were around.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the joke about numbers go up has nothing to do with actual power levels but instead this

RareAcumen posted:

'Numbers go up' only really seems to matter so far as why people can't fight the new threat...

...Basically it's pretty much like an RPG and if you're fighting someone 40 levels above you then you don't do any damage so that's about the best I can tell that 'numbers go up' is relevant.

Its not saying the show is obsessed with numbers, its that the only escalation for each new villain is for them to be EVEN STRONGER than the last one and everyone has to become stronger to fight them

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That's pretty standard power creep, many video games and MMO's have that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Judge Tesla posted:

That's pretty standard power creep, many video games and MMO's have that.

A manga/anime written like a video game or MMO is not a good manga

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

dragon ball is great so you're wrong

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

escalation of threat is a think literally every manga does and while dbz is more blatant about it than a lot of media after a certain point anything that runs that long will escalate in similar ways

its really honestly not a good joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Monathin posted:

escalation of threat is a think literally every manga does and while dbz is more blatant about it than a lot of media after a certain point anything that runs that long will escalate in similar ways

its really honestly not a good joke

It is because it's a bad trope and DBZ is the biggest embodiment of it and the fundamental inability to take the joke in stride speaks to its power

Just because most shonen manga is written bad doesn't make the ur text of shonen not also bad

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty much every comic, film, TV show and game has threat escalation included, how many times have you seen a scenario where the bad guy is beaten only for the bad guy's boss to appear, literally hundreds.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Pretty much every comic, film, TV show and game has threat escalation included, how many times have you seen a scenario where the bad guy is beaten only for the bad guy's boss to appear, literally hundreds.

A pile of trash is still trash

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

there are so many individual assumptions in that retort that are wrong that i no longer have the time or the patience to hold your hand so instead im gonna go back to ignoring you and tell you that you're a loving idiot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A pile of trash is still trash

it's good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I buried DBZ as a franchise I liked after eighth grade.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Monathin posted:

there are so many individual assumptions in that retort that are wrong that i no longer have the time or the patience to hold your hand so instead im gonna go back to ignoring you and tell you that you're a loving idiot

I am sorry you are upset that I suggest a children's manga might not be as narratively complex as you want it to be.

I am also sorry you are unable to accept criticism of stuff you like without personalizing it. I hope you can grow as a person and not be quite so judgemental about someone who disagrees with you in good faith

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thread post number go up

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
And you wonder why people treat you like a bargain basement BotL.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Deleter posted:

bargain basement BotL.

:lol:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Deleter posted:

And you wonder why people treat you like a bargain basement BotL.

All I've done is presented a perspective which, mind you, Pat and Plague share, and been insulted for it.

I've never said it was bad to like DBZ or that you shouldn't like it. I just said you have to acknowledge there are fundamental weaknesses in the narrative structure that makes a joke funny

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

you don't have to defend your beloved kiddie show to the death it's OK to like + enjoy stuff that is bad, see: everything else on television

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Indecisive posted:

you don't have to defend your beloved kiddie show to the death it's OK to like + enjoy stuff that is bad, see: everything else on television

This

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's good though

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Saying that every piece of media that does threat escalation is bad is as reductive and simplistic a way of thinking as saying that every character that's written like a Mary Sue is bad. A story can have an overdone or simple trope and still tell a brilliant story. "Threat escalation" is so vague and nonspecific a concept that you can do a whole lot of different things with it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Saying that every piece of media that does threat escalation is bad is as reductive and simplistic a way of thinking as saying that every character that's written like a Mary Sue is bad. A story can have an overdone or simple trope and still tell a brilliant story. "Threat escalation" is so vague and nonspecific a concept that you can do a whole lot of different things with it.

Well, another part of the issue is that the tropes of what signifies that "power" never change. Like, Goku was already moving faster than light before he even went Super Saiyan for the first time. He is supposedly many many many times stronger than that now. But, what was the signal he had reached a new power with his new ultra instinct form? He was moving so fast no one could see him!!!

The problem with DBZ power creep is, as Plague pointed out in one of his videos, is that its not even really power creep. They just normalize the former level of strength and then use the same tropes on the new level of strength.

Like, power in DBZ has not changed in its depiction since the Saiyan saga despite the fact that its supposed to have increased like a million times over by now.

For example:
how did we know how strong Vegeta was? He blew up a planet!
how did we know how strong Freeza was? He blew up a planet!
how did we know how strong Buu was? He blew up a planet!
how did we know how strong Beerus was? He blew up a planet!

Like, if the power was actually increasing as depicted it would be at a point Goku should be able to tear a hole in the universe by sneezing

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 14, 2019

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

pro tip if you agree with plague's takes on dbz you're probably wrong because plague's takes are uniformly even more idiotic and anti-fun than woolie or pat's at a baseline and this is not even really arguable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well, another part of the issue is that the tropes of what signifies that "power" never change. Like, Goku was already moving faster than light before he even went Super Saiyan for the first time. He is supposedly many many many times stronger than that now. But, what was the signal he had reached a new power with his new ultra instinct form? He was moving so fast no one could see him!!!

The problem with DBZ power creep is, as Plague pointed out in one of his videos, is that its not even really power creep. They just normalize the former level of strength and then use the same tropes on the new level of strength.

Like, power in DBZ has not changed in its depiction since the Saiyan saga despite the fact that its supposed to have increased like a million times over by now.

Uh they get new hair colors you dummy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Monathin posted:

this is not even really arguable

You seem to have a bad habit of making declarative statements of the "true" way to interpret something and angrilly shutting down anyone who dares to disagree with you.

Like, you don't get to claim Plague is wrong by calling him stupid and being really angry about it

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You seem to have a bad habit of making declarative statements of the "true" way to interpret something and angrilly shutting down anyone who dares to disagree with you.

Like, you don't get to claim Plague is wrong by calling him stupid and being really angry about it

ok, you want me to actually argue with you? here goes.

i'm angrily shutting you down because you keep trying to force the idea that a 15+ year old joke is funny because it's a very reductive criticism of a show you think is bad because you listened to an angry farmer yell about how much he doesn't like a popular thing, which he is known for doing simply because the thing is popular.

Like at the end of the day your appeal to saying "WELL PAT AND PLAGUE THINK THIS TOO" is irrelevant because you are trying to say that this joke, which people have been making since two thousand and loving one at the latest, is still funny, and that because the show is bad you should be allowed to make it despite the fact that multiple people have tried to tell you that the take is 1) factually inaccurate if you examine the source material and 2) hilariously reductive given that the criticism is something that universally applies to most media in some way or another.

you are getting constantly yelled at for this take and either are arguing in good faith but completely ignorant of the ability to read the room that people want you to maybe either shut the gently caress up or admit you don't know what you're talking about, or you're arguing in bad faith and refuse to back down because you're being a loving dillweed. these are literally the only ways to interpret your posting record in the thread.

please go somewhere else to deliver your lukewarm self-assured media savant takes of 'all escalation in media is bad' and 'i can keep making the same ten year old jokes to people who have heard them hundreds of times and have grown tired of them' to somewhere else because jesus christ this thread is bad enough without you making GBS threads in it between devils advocacy, concern trolling, and all around looking like a loving tool.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

so, in summary: Shut The gently caress Up, Mel

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For example:
how did we know how strong Vegeta was? He blew up a planet!
how did we know how strong Freeza was? He blew up a planet!
how did we know how strong Buu was? He blew up a planet!
how did we know how strong Beerus was? He blew up a planet!

Like, if the power was actually increasing as depicted it would be at a point Goku should be able to tear a hole in the universe by sneezing
This is stupid.

Androids were shown as strong by ruining the future of the human race.
Cell by wiping a town in a horrifying way.
Buu by wiping out the highest tier of gods.
Beerus by making every godly character instantly grovel and actually taking down Goku at the very start of the story, something only Raditz had done.

Its ok to enjoy dbz as a fightboy number go up show. I disagree with that, the story is way better than just that and otherwise it would not be this worldwide phenomenom, but people can enjoy stuff in different ways. But youre still just a contrarian fighting the thread, and i blame Funimation for these bad takes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

dragon ball is a land of contrasts

e: To contribute DBZ is a fun show, and has some great bits like Buu not being a direct villain who just wants to take over the world or whatever, and the whole Satan & Buu interaction.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 14, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Monathin posted:

ok, you want me to actually argue with you? here goes.

i'm angrily shutting you down because you keep trying to force the idea that a 15+ year old joke is funny because it's a very reductive criticism of a show you think is bad because you listened to an angry farmer yell about how much he doesn't like a popular thing, which he is known for doing simply because the thing is popular.

Like at the end of the day your appeal to saying "WELL PAT AND PLAGUE THINK THIS TOO" is irrelevant because you are trying to say that this joke, which people have been making since two thousand and loving one at the latest, is still funny, and that because the show is bad you should be allowed to make it despite the fact that multiple people have tried to tell you that the take is 1) factually inaccurate if you examine the source material and 2) hilariously reductive given that the criticism is something that universally applies to most media in some way or another.

you are getting constantly yelled at for this take and either are arguing in good faith but completely ignorant of the ability to read the room that people want you to maybe either shut the gently caress up or admit you don't know what you're talking about, or you're arguing in bad faith and refuse to back down because you're being a loving dillweed. these are literally the only ways to interpret your posting record in the thread.

please go somewhere else to deliver your lukewarm self-assured media savant takes of 'all escalation in media is bad' and 'i can keep making the same ten year old jokes to people who have heard them hundreds of times and have grown tired of them' to somewhere else because jesus christ this thread is bad enough without you making GBS threads in it between devils advocacy, concern trolling, and all around looking like a loving tool.

A. none of that is about why Plague's analysis is wrong so I am not sure why you consider this an argument

B. The reason why I brought up that Plague and Pat agree is because I wanted to show that its not like its a perspective I invented just to troll. Its the vocal perspective of several dudes the thread is about. I am pointing out you cannot claim an objective consensus on how to critique an anime when the people who this thread is about explicitly don't agree with your perspective.

C. I wanna take a second to focus on this

Monathin posted:

Completely ignorant of the ability to read the room that people want you to maybe either shut the gently caress up or admit you don't know what you're talking about, or you're arguing in bad faith and refuse to back down because you're being a loving dillweed. these are literally the only ways to interpret your posting record in the thread.

If you people don't want to argue it, they don't have to reply to me. I don't see why I am not allowed to argue my point just because a small collective thinks they are right by virtue of agreeing with each other. Why am I the one with the onus to "let it drop?". Furthermore, if the only way you can handle someone having a different opinion with you is to assume bad faith or idiocy than that is a character flaw on you. Have you considered your "authority" doesn't come from winning arguments but just from the fact you are so belligerent most people give up on talking to you? Like how dare you determine I cannot possibly be "honest" because you don't agree with what I said.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 14, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Monathin posted:

so, in summary: Shut The gently caress Up, Mel

your more obnoxious than him imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

dragon ball is a land of contrasts

e: To contribute DBZ is a fun show, and has some great bits like Buu not being a direct villain who just wants to take over the world or whatever, and the whole Satan & Buu interaction.

I really enjoyed the first arc of DBS because it seemed like they were making fun of the cliches about the series and having some solid jokes. Probably my all time favorite episode is the one where they keep distracting Goku from finding out about Beerus because they know if he finds out there is a big strong death god Goku will want to fight him like a big idiot

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I had been disagreeing with Woolie about GoT being the gigabotch thinking that title still belongs to Dexter, granted he hasn't seen that, but I have recently come around since Dexter was on a fairly steady decline for more seasons than GoT's decline and then just tanked on the last episode, hard. GoT's botch started much later relatively speaking and seems to be in a downward spiral still, could the last episode save it? It's possible, super duper implausible, but possible.

Also the "numbers go up" joke wasn't funny anymore, but the reactions to it have made it funny again.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://twitter.com/RTXEvent/status/1128374420077142018

Yeah those are the best pictures they could have used for them.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

MagusDraco posted:

Yeah those are the best pictures they could have used for them.
Shoulda used the pic of Pat with the giant chocolate bunny imo.

Or a screencap of him in his gamer high chair.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

Shoulda used the pic of Pat with the giant chocolate bunny imo.

Or a screencap of him in his gamer high chair.

Candy Closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Brightman posted:

I had been disagreeing with Woolie about GoT being the gigabotch thinking that title still belongs to Dexter, granted he hasn't seen that, but I have recently come around since Dexter was on a fairly steady decline for more seasons than GoT's decline and then just tanked on the last episode, hard. GoT's botch started much later relatively speaking and seems to be in a downward spiral still, could the last episode save it? It's possible, super duper implausible, but possible.

Also the "numbers go up" joke wasn't funny anymore, but the reactions to it have made it funny again.

dexter was an amazing piece of trash......a pretty good first season, two seasons of garbage, a pretty good fourth season, and then three seasons where every episode was worse than any previous episode. there was no reason to expect a good finale but there was still hope for some kind of conclusion, but instead of “dexter gets arrested” or “dexter gets killed” or even “dexter keeps killing/stops killing/kills more/kills less” we got “dexter goes somewhere else and might be killing or maybe stopped, who can say? not us”