Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

https://twitter.com/Trumpery45/status/1128293753985175554

my car was delivered covered in bugs and full of trash but i love it!

https://twitter.com/PauljHorton/status/1110614274290999296

also they raised prices today

tesla: where customer satisfaction is job # 42069!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol tesla owners are gonna unionize before the workers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol tesla owners are gonna unionize before the workers

not if he offers them froyo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
or roller coasters

imagine being stoked to ride in a coaster that elong was responsible for in any way

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

infernal machines posted:

not if he offers them froyo

The Android version?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, that's ice cream sandwich

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thank you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flomar

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or roller coasters

imagine being stoked to ride in a coaster that elong was responsible for in any way

I don't want to go in Elon's Tunnel of Love

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
you know what has nice electric drivetrains? actual trains.

https://youtu.be/tJNqpcsvlqI

1500 amps yo

this is old and busted 1960's dc stuff tho

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 14, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

Instead of going with the costly but electrically and mechanically superior synchronous AC Motor they went with a cheap to make electric reluctance unit.
their motor is a 3 phase permanent magnet reluctance AC motor, it's cheap and powerful.

Combat Theory posted:

Their drivetrains are worlds apart in being poo poo drivetrains and the moment you ask them to do more than bro-starting at a stop light like a pimple faced teenager the crappy design becomes apparent.

Combat Theory posted:

Track usage? Overheat literally after a minute
sure, if you're talking about the S/X models.

Combat Theory posted:

Super charging? Will work a few times, literally fries your battery
in the absolute worst cases, tesla throttles supercharging down to about 96 kW if they've supercharged more than 13,125 kWh

Combat Theory posted:

Cold operation? Lmao lose your warranty in the winter, boy.
i averaged about 300 Wh/mi during my 5,000 mile winter road trip, not too bad. most people experience about 40% range loss depending on their commute, lots of stop-and-go traffic kills efficiency due to the car's inability to use the motor's heat to warm up the batteries. why are you bringing up this issue, as it's not a tesla-specific one any way?

Combat Theory posted:

Saying a tesla drivetrain is advanced or great is a statement about ones lack of knowledge about the subject and a testimony of how easily the end consumer is persuaded by a few gimmick features instead of looking at the full picture of his purchase.
i consider you a pretty brilliant dude when you know your poo poo, but you don't know it here.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 14, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nfcknblvbl posted:

their motor is a 3 phase permanent magnet reluctance AC motor, it's cheap and powerful.

in the absolute worst cases, tesla throttles supercharging down to about 96 kW if they've supercharged more than 13,125 kWh

i averaged about 300 Wh/mi during my 5,000 mile winter road trip, not too bad. most people experience about 40% range loss depending on their commute, lots of stop-and-go traffic kills efficiency due to the car's inability to use the motor's heat to warm up the batteries. why are you bringing up this issue, as it's not a tesla-specific one any way?

i consider you a pretty brilliant dude when you know your poo poo, but you don't know it here.

a hearty lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

sorry CT, you just don’t love the car

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
should have added 'hiring an attorney to get basic repair work done' to the tesla cost estimator

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nfcknblvbl posted:

:allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

tesla: where customer satisfaction is job # 42069!

well, safety is #3 and there is no #2, so it's at least #4

Nfcknblvbl posted:

in the absolute worst cases, tesla throttles supercharging down to about 96 kW if they've supercharged more than 13,125 km

dyp is up a forum

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

please everybody shut up and let the two of them argue, this is going to be amazing :suspense:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

please everybody shut up and let the two of them argue, this is going to be amazing :suspense:

Do I really have to

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheFluff posted:

you know what has nice electric drivetrains? actual trains.

https://youtu.be/tJNqpcsvlqI

1500 amps yo

this is old and busted 1960's dc stuff tho

Trains are crazy these days. Diesels really are just a generator unit hooked up to an alternator. They started off generating straight DC current till around 1970, which is when they switched to the alternator, then converted it to DC power as solid-state electronics came in. Now it's AC -> DC -> AC for the motors, because IGBTs are nuts.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

iospace posted:

Trains are crazy these days. Diesels really are just a generator unit hooked up to an alternator. They started off generating straight DC current till around 1970, which is when they switched to the alternator, then converted it to DC power as solid-state electronics came in. Now it's AC -> DC -> AC for the motors, because IGBTs are nuts.

same but for ferries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE_M1n-ClOA

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is that a fancy way of saying they use variable frequency drives, 'cuz that's sure what it sounds like

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not a Children posted:

Is that a fancy way of saying they use variable frequency drives, 'cuz that's sure what it sounds like

Yes, because IGBTs are what make those things work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

also "brushless DC" motors are AC

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sagebrush posted:

where is your av from

A very nice goon in the parrot thread made it for me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i know it's good because i base my identity around it!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

iospace posted:

Yes, because IGBTs are what make those things work.

i normally associate INTJs with trains

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

flakeloaf posted:

i normally associate INTJs with trains

:rolleyes:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol the model 3 has a special track mode that tells the battery to kill itself to impress bazingas. it's still poo poo on a track otherwise

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nfcknblvbl posted:

their electronics, drive train, and battery management system are worlds apart at the moment. it's similar to how apple was ahead with their iphone in 2007. give it a few years, and tesla will lose their edge, especially how they're behaving now.

13:08 if this doesnt jump ahead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DucRxWz_58&t=788s

"Okay they're losing their edge NOW but at the time I hadn't made any mistakes!"

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

leftist heap posted:

lol the model 3 has a special track mode that tells the battery to kill itself to impress bazingas. it's still poo poo on a track otherwise

the model 3 is more than capable of rejecting enough heat on a track

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-track-day-laguna-seca.109818/

this guy did 9 laps on laguna seca until his brakes went to mush, and power to the wheels never was an issue. before any of you guys mention how lovely the performance 3's brakes are, just know that oem pads and rotors aren't built for race tracks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nfcknblvbl posted:

this guy did 9 laps on laguna seca until his brakes went to mush, and power to the wheels never was an issue. before any of you guys mention how lovely the performance 3's brakes are, just know that oem pads and rotors aren't built for race tracks.

No loving poo poo. But they never seem to mention that, do they?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Theory posted:

Do I really have to

no. you don't owe anyone anything

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Are those the musk-special lifetime pads?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol way to miss the loving point that the car is actively damaging its battery capacity because the software is allowing it to operate that far outside its work factor

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol the thread later devolves into everyone bitching about how they can't get new breakpads from Tesla

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol way to miss the loving point that the car is actively damaging its battery capacity because the software is allowing it to operate that far outside its work factor

if you think tesla will allow their batteries to grenade after a few track days you're wrong, they'll go into limp mode before they wreck themselves

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iospace posted:

No loving poo poo. But they never seem to mention that, do they?
eh, for all the things to complain about, a family sedan not having track-appropriate brakes from the factory is really low.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Teslas cannot fail, they can only be failed by not loving the car enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

if you think tesla will allow their batteries to grenade after a few track days you're wrong, they'll go into limp mode before they wreck themselves

lol you have no idea how li-ion cells degrade this is cute. enjoy your deteriorating range