Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I kind of want to see Zilla show up again. Cool design regardless of authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arcsquad12 posted:

I kind of want to see Zilla show up again. Cool design regardless of authenticity.

Zilla would make a good midboss type fight, then later on once you've assembled the whole monster squad you can fight fifty of them.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

It's weird as hell that Godzilla was part of the Marvel universe in the late 1970s, with Thor fighting him, Spiderman photographing him, etc. The design is awful though, and maybe partly why Godzilla is often thought to be green.

Hey Disney, I've got an idea for your MCU if the current US copyright licensing expires...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

It's weird as hell that Godzilla was part of the Marvel universe in the late 1970s, with Thor fighting him, Spiderman photographing him, etc. The design is awful though, and maybe partly why Godzilla is often thought to be green.

Hey Disney, I've got an idea for your MCU if the current US copyright licensing expires...

Don't even

Also the MCU is poo poo with giant monster stuff. Absolute poo poo.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I was lucky enough to meet Herb Trimpe when I was a kid, I asked him about the Godzilla comics, and he said that the decision-making process came down to wanting to depict him as a very large man in a suit. I'll always be partial to his design!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The pictures I've seen of Marvel Godzilla remind me of the t-rex in The Land Unknown (1957). Maybe not flattering samples. Also I have an aversion to green Godzillas so that probably factors in

Sure beats 'Son of Godzilla' Godzilla in any case

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dammerung posted:

I was lucky enough to meet Herb Trimpe when I was a kid, I asked him about the Godzilla comics, and he said that the decision-making process came down to wanting to depict him as a very large man in a suit. I'll always be partial to his design!

Also the art back in the day was very

In consistent

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't blame Trimpe for that. From what I understand from those days, the higher-ups at Marvel decided that once they got the license, they wanted Doug Moench to write and Herb Trimpe to draw it. Herb was picked because of his popularity on drawing the Incredible Hulk, a 'monstrous' character, and Moench was an up-and-coming writer who had also worked on the Hulk. That was literally the only reason they were picked.

There weren't really any James Stokoe level artists back then who wanted to draw the comic. Trimpe was it.

They also couldn't get anyone to ink Trimpe continuously for the same reasons. You need an inker who's familiar with the penciller's style, and no one worked on enough issues in this comic to really click with his style.

It was always farmed out to whomever was available, usually people in the Bullpen who didn't have any regular assignments. Trimpe often wound up inking his own pencils because no one could be found by deadline time who was willing/available to do it. Interestingly, Fred Kida, a Japanese American comic artist seemed to be one of the more popular inkers for Godzilla, but didn't stay on for long.

Moench and Trimpe had some help (Archie Goodwin, a senior editor at the time told him to use SHIELD and Stan Lee himself supposedly gave his blessing to Moench despite being totally unfamiliar with the Godzilla genre) but there were a lot of other things in the way. Toho's contract with Marvel specifically -ONLY- licensed Godzilla to Marvel. They were forbidden from using any other Toho property, like Mothra or Rodan. So Moench had to dream up Marvel original characters for opponents, like Yetrigar, and the terrible trio of Mega-monsters of Rhiann, Krollar, and Triax. And Red Ronin, who was supposed to be a stand-in for Jet Jaguar.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 13, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you look at all the other licensed Godzilla stuff that was being done around this time, nobody was on-model. America had just sort of a general conception of Godzilla as "big dinosaur, plates on his back, spits fire."

And the green thing was as early as the posters for King of the Monsters. Even happened on some Japanese posters, it just makes good contrast for printing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m just going to take this opportunity to say that Godzilla fans should check out Devil Dinosaur.

The Avengers shrink Godzilla. Godzilla fights rats in New York’s sewers, grows to human size and fights the Fantastic Four. The FF send Godzilla back in time to make him pre histories problem, and Godzilla grows to T-Rex size and fights Devil Dinosaur.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean if you look at all the other licensed Godzilla stuff that was being done around this time, nobody was on-model.

To be fair, the licence agreement was that Marvel got to use Godzilla and Toei got to use Spider-Man and Captain America and they were also pretty far from being 'on model' :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To be fair, the licence agreement was that Marvel got to use Godzilla and Toei got to use Spider-Man and Captain America and they were also pretty far from being 'on model' :v:

I know this is a joke but I'm PRETTY sure Toei had nothing to do with the Godzilla Marvel license.

Also Japanese Spider-Man was pretty much the best live action Spider-Man until Raimi came along, the actual suit was not bad at all and the way he moved and fought is actually truer to the comics than any of the movies have bothered to do. Mostly because it looks silly in a kitchy way. The giant robot is something else entirely.

The other also didn't really use Captain America at all- that was the original idea, but they instead decided to do a new Sentai series, using elements of Japanese Spider-Man and the idea of Country Themed Heroes (the giant robot) to become SUPER Sentai

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Toei's another company from Toho, who owns Godzilla. Totally different deal, as Burkion says.

Also, another reason Marvel had to create its own monsters in its Godzilla series: Toho was perfectly willing to license Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, etc. all Marvel had to do was pay for each one. And they would charge the same price for each monster. Marvel could barely afford -just- Godzilla.

Back then, Marvel was nowhere near the moneymaking giant it is now and simply couldn't. But man, if they did, those comics could have rocked more.

Also, Marvel's Godzilla didn't tank because of low sales or reader enthusiasm, it was doing well in both of those, but Toho decided that they were going to increase the licensing fee and that's when it was ended, as Marvel couldn't afford the increase.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 13, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't want Disney to own everything but it would be cool to see Godzilla just stomp on 90% of the Marvel cast in the next movie.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I don't want Disney to own everything but it would be cool to see Godzilla just stomp on 90% of the Marvel cast in the next movie.

Avengers: EndedbyGodzilla

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would be fine with an Avengers Godzilla crossover if it had the Avengers failing to solve some kaiju or giant robot problem, Godzilla shows up, Avengers try to stop him, he swats them aside, fights the real threat, they pitch in, and then they save the day and Godzilla leaves.

Because nothing in Avengers has shown the ability to touch Godzilla short of the infinity gauntlet. Fuckers are able to get by with trick arrows, guns and basic martial arts.

Thanos was nearly put down because he got stabbed in the chest the fucker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla's nuclear energy would protect him from the Infinity Gauntlet. There's no debating it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just wanna see a shot like the one from Ragnarok when Hulk is leaping at Surtur but it's Godzilla charging his atomic breath

Airbrushed on the side of my VW microbus

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 14, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to point out that Captain America, who isn't even as strong as Spider-Man physically, could reasonably hold his own 1 on 1 with a vibrainium super Ultron robot via boxing.

The MCU is some weak rear end poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goodbye now Godzilla... my old friiiiiiend

I want to gently caress Godzilla the song.

Just finished 84 and it holds up but these credits. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq7I8rCTgA

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Goodbye now Godzilla... my old friiiiiiend

I want to gently caress Godzilla the song.

Just finished 84 and it holds up but these credits. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq7I8rCTgA

Yeah there's a reason I now think Godzilla's Resurrection, a fan edit that combines Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 (so all the Japanese stuff if the blu ray recent stuff and subbed, but it has American scenes with theworst of it edited out and some of the really good American score included) as the definitive version

Because not only does it keep the great ending of Return of Godzilla, but it keeps the AMAZING Raymond Burr speech of 85, and it doesn't hard cut to the Godzilla Love Ballad inexplicably added in

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Burkion posted:

I want to point out that Captain America, who isn't even as strong as Spider-Man physically, could reasonably hold his own 1 on 1 with a vibrainium super Ultron robot via boxing.

The MCU is some weak rear end poo poo

Cap is pretty strong in the MCU. He's able to hold down a helicopter that's capable of roughly 3000 lbs of lifting force. Still, he's a basic bitch compared to Godzilla.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Avengers only need Ant Man and Captain Marvel to take care of Godzilla.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Marvel would just fly head first through Godzilla's head and one shot him.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Vince MechMahon posted:

Captain Marvel would just fly head first through Godzilla's head and one shot him.

Godzilla has a mighty noggin, Captain Marvel would just bounce off. What might work, however, would be Captain Marvel putting Ant Man up Godzilla's butt.

Also, just as a fun note, getting struck by Mjolnir was exceptionally painful for Godzilla.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just send Ant Man into Godzilla’s rear end

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

but Godzilla surely has a cloaca

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Burkion posted:

Yeah there's a reason I now think Godzilla's Resurrection, a fan edit that combines Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985 (so all the Japanese stuff if the blu ray recent stuff and subbed, but it has American scenes with theworst of it edited out and some of the really good American score included) as the definitive version

Because not only does it keep the great ending of Return of Godzilla, but it keeps the AMAZING Raymond Burr speech of 85, and it doesn't hard cut to the Godzilla Love Ballad inexplicably added in

This sounds pretty good. Other than the few bad cheesy choices in the American edit it really is paced a lot better than the Japanese cut.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The best part of ‘85 is the dude taking a long swig from a well rotated-so-you-can-see-the-brand Dr. Pepper at the climactic moment.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peacoffee posted:

The best part of ‘85 is the dude taking a long swig from a well rotated-so-you-can-see-the-brand Dr. Pepper at the climactic moment.

That is the only Dr Pepper ad placement left in that fan edit I talked about

It's great

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

At least the product placement in King of the Monsters is sensible. You see the Dunkin Donuts sign when Ghidorah remodels Fenway Park.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tekne posted:

At least the product placement in King of the Monsters is sensible. You see the Dunkin Donuts sign when Ghidorah remodels Fenway Park.

Yeah, but having each head wearing a Red Sox hat was a step too far!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They wanted you to really sense Ghidorah's evil from a glance.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, but having each head wearing a Red Sox hat was a step too far!

Each head is a fan of a different team

Monday Nights are brutal affairs and most of his rampages aren't out of malice, it's just them bickering amongst themselves and things got out of hand, so mom kicked them out of the house

https://twitter.com/_tsk03_/status/1128292609300897793

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

KotM drinking challenge: Take a shot of the corresponding whiskey when that kaiju is on screen

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Can’t find anything about if they’ll be available in the states. I’ve been working my way through some of the various Game of Thrones scotch, and Godzilla whiskey would be a good follow up.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Can’t find anything about if they’ll be available in the states. I’ve been working my way through some of the various Game of Thrones scotch, and Godzilla whiskey would be a good follow up.

Why

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Because I like to drink and collect fun bottles? I recommend the Hellboy Hellwater cinnamon whiskey. Better than Fireball.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because you need to drown out how bad the show is to even watch it?

Also I got down on that hellboy cinnamon water. I don’t mind fireball, or any cinnamon whisky candy water poo poo, but the hellboy whisky tasted exactly like the new movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is the Godzilla anime on Netflix any good? I struggled to get through Mechagodzilla and fell asleep during SpaceGodzilla. Haven't watched Destroyah yet. Should I bother with the Millennium series? I watched Godzilla 2014 earlier and it was a lot better than I remember it being, and will probably watch it again and Skull Island a couple days before King of the Monsters.