Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cash Monet posted:

The Bengals have fielded one of the most talented rosters in the league over the last 4-5 years and Andy Dalton has squandered it. The Jaguars had a shot a couple of years ago and Blake Bortles nerfed them.
Bengals were only really stacked one year and Dalton got hurt, and as weird as it is to say Bortles was definitely not the problem with the Jags in the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s really only worked for the pats in recent years. Otherwise it’s build a good defense and hope your quarterback plays well at the right time or your defense is good enough that it doesn’t matter.

The Dallas Cowboys 2020: Let me tell you about trend regression and a man named Brad Johnson.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/stefenwiz61/status/1127902528547491841

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Thankfully the sixers blew it again so I don't have to tempted by the siren song of basketball again. I'll never forget that lakers finals, it destroyed me.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

I'll never forget that lakers finals, it destroyed me.

I never had any expectations going up against the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. That team was pretty much unbeatable at the time. I just enjoyed the ride.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rujasu posted:

I never had any expectations going up against the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. That team was pretty much unbeatable at the time. I just enjoyed the ride.

Maybe he was talking about the Magic Johnson finals back in the 80's - cause that sucked too.

And yeah there was no loving way Iverson's Sixers were gonna take down LA, especially with the refs allowing Shaq to throw elbows into Mutumbo's teeth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Iverson loving dominating game one is in my top five Philly games of all time along with Game 4 of the 09 NLCS, Game 1 of the 2010 NLDS, Game 3 of the 08 WS (Jamie Moyer is my fav), and of course the superbowl. I'd probably rank it ahead of the NLCS and WS games tbh

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The Eagles were the most injured and banged up team in the NFL (overall roster), and still made and advanced in the playoffs last season

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...impression=true

quote:

72 teams have made the playoffs in the past 6 years; their average AGL ranking is 13.7. Of those playoff bids, nearly double the amount came from top ten ranked teams (40%) than teams ranked in the bottom ten (21%). 9 of the last 12 conference champions checked in towards the top half of the league in AGL. 5 of the last 6 Super Bowl Champions came from the top half of the healthiest teams. The lone exception being last years New England Patriots (18th).

Sidebar: The 2016 Los Angeles Rams were the only team in the last eight years to miss the playoffs after coming in as the healthiest team in the league. If you see a chance to take one last shot at Jeff Fisher, you take it.

Despite missing some key contributors in their 2017 Super Bowl run, the Eagles still checked in relatively healthy overall, ranking 13th. Next year was an entirely different story.

The Eagles ranked 31st in AGL in 2018, making their success highly improbable. How improbable? Their AGL score for playoff teams from 2013-2018 is bested (worsted? is that a word?) by the one-and-done Washington Redskins in 2015. In that same span, the Eagles had the worst score of any team that won a playoff game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The Eagles are still a very strong roster OP. If Wentz and the team as a whole stays healthy they're absolutely a late postseason type of team.

One thing that's interesting is that for the first time in a while I'm also looking forward to seeing Washington. The main reason for that is I like the drafts of the last couple years and I'm also a Dwayne Haskins believer. I think this kid has something and could be a really good quarterback. I'm curious to see how Washington ruins him, I'm sure they'll manage somehow but on paper it looks like a fun and promising team and I hope they do the smart thing and just start Dwayne week 1. Just live or die by that because without him you're poo poo anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l1167E8_LM

I've read a couple features about him recently, he's a really nice kid, really smart, knows his football and has very very good throwing mechanics. If they can keep him upright back there I don't think he'll have any problems running that west coast system, I have no idea why Jay Gruden seems so loving sour about the whole thing. Probably he wanted to draft another interior run stuffer from Alabama or something

Play fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 14, 2019

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Play posted:

I'm curious to see how Washington ruins him

It starts with Bruce Allen repeatedly calling him 'Wayne'

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles could run a second string offense line like this:

LT Andre Dillard
LG Matt Pryor
C Stefen Wisniewski
RG Jordan Mailata
RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai

which would probably be around average.

(I know Mailata was training to be a tackle, but who knows now that they drafted Dillard?)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

deedee megadoodoo posted:

It starts with Bruce Allen repeatedly calling him 'Wayne'

didn't he do the same thing with Cousins or was that someone else

e: oh, you were speaking hypothetically. I was already looking for the story on nfl.com

Play
Apr 25, 2006

indigi posted:

didn't he do the same thing with Cousins or was that someone else

e: oh, you were speaking hypothetically. I was already looking for the story on nfl.com

nah you're right he famously kept referring to Kirk Cousins as "Kurt"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I feel really good about the Eagle's roster this year. Lots of balance, no real weak spots and several ways they can beat you in a pretty weak division. Obviously it mostly hinges on Wentz and his health but, top to bottom, I'll take it and I like Doug as a head coach.

indigi posted:

Iverson loving dominating game one is in my top five Philly games of all time along with Game 4 of the 09 NLCS, Game 1 of the 2010 NLDS, Game 3 of the 08 WS (Jamie Moyer is my fav), and of course the superbowl. I'd probably rank it ahead of the NLCS and WS games tbh

I'm a :corsair: so mine was always the 1980 World Series game 6. Pete Rose catching the bobbled foul ball and Tug McGraw patting his heart after an upper deck foul ball. That whole 1980 NLCS versus Houston was bananas.

Also Dr. J putting that slam down on a fast break to seal a sweep of LA in 1983 and finally getting that ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unxlu85k8zg

Skip to the 1:00 mark for the dunk but watch the whole thing for that crazy up and under wrap around on Kareem.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles could run a second string offense line like this:

LT Andre Dillard
LG Matt Pryor
C Stefen Wisniewski
RG Jordan Mailata
RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai

which would probably be around average.

(I know Mailata was training to be a tackle, but who knows now that they drafted Dillard?)

This would be a roughly Texans-tier offensive line. Eagles build good depth around the roster and do well to scheme around players, but you can't really think this lineup would ever open up a run game or keep Wentz from getting pummeled. That's insane to me.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tom Sellout posted:

This would be a roughly Texans-tier offensive line. Eagles build good depth around the roster and do well to scheme around players, but you can't really think this lineup would ever open up a run game or keep Wentz from getting pummeled. That's insane to me.

Are you nitpicking his "around average" designation? I mean sure it definitely wouldn't be average but the fact that they could field an all-backup offensive line that compares at all to a first-string offensive line is pretty great.

Mailata at left guard is a bit of a projection because we have no real clue how he's developing but at least he didn't put him at tackle

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
The greater point that the Eagles have very good depth has always left me to enviously nitpick in vain

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Also Dr. J putting that slam down on a fast break to seal a sweep of LA in 1983 and finally getting that ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unxlu85k8zg

Skip to the 1:00 mark for the dunk but watch the whole thing for that crazy up and under wrap around on Kareem.

god drat

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The Eagles are smarter than me when it comes to Eagles stuff, so that leads me to believe that they have information that makes them not so concerned about Wentz's health.

The organization has proven to be very well ran after the departure of Chip Kelly.

I will admit, the Redskins had a good draft. Not a fan of them grabbing Haskins. Because he might be good.

But something about him charging a cover to be at his draft party rubs me the wrong way. I'm all about making money, but something like that seems to be a bit of question of character (when it comes to NFL players).

Just a weird move.

89 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 15, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Wentz injuries were both kinda freaky, its not like hes getting several random injuries or has an injury from HS that keeps coming back.

I guess the back injury from last year could potentially do that. But i dont think hes as fragile as a lot of people think

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
He came back too early last year. He didn't have an offseason for 2 seasons. That'll do it to anyone. OTAs started in May 2017. He tore his ACL in November 2017, probably the most common major sport injury. Rehabbed all the way up to September 2018. Started playing again. Got the back injury shortly after (you can see how much slower he gets). Got shut down in November 2018.

That's a long rear end period of time to be busting rear end physically. Dude needed this off-season desperately for both his body and his mind. Kill some quail in Arkansas and spend time with his new wife. Come back healthy and rested. Tear league new butthole with the most talented Eagles offense since Vick & the 2010 Eagles.

Alshon/DJax/Ertz/Agholor/Goedert/Arcega-Whiteside/Howard/Sanders

Let's do this shiiiiiiittttt

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Play posted:

nah you're right he famously kept referring to Kirk Cousins as "Kurt"

Kirk Cousins is an overrated herb, good for Bruce.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cash Monet posted:

Kirk Cousins is an overrated herb, good for Bruce.

Not sure they thought so, considering they franchised him twice and almost did it a 3rd time for 34 million for a year. The main thing about it is it just seemed unnecessary. V curious to see how they eventually alienate Haskins. Seems to have already started with Jay acting like a total bitch because he didn't want Haskins

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Plus Haskins is bad so that’ll hurt too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Plus Haskins is bad so that’ll hurt too

Can you back this up with actual reasoning or are you just throwing it out there?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Play posted:

Not sure they thought so, considering they franchised him twice and almost did it a 3rd time for 34 million for a year. The main thing about it is it just seemed unnecessary. V curious to see how they eventually alienate Haskins. Seems to have already started with Jay acting like a total bitch because he didn't want Haskins

Where did you hear that? SI has an article where Jay seems really positive about him, and talks about how much Gruden put into researching the draft class. Even outside of coachspeak and assuming what they say isn't bullshit they would have considered Haskins to be at worst the third best QB in the draft, and someone worthy of a first round pick.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Play posted:

I've read a couple features about him recently, he's a really nice kid, really smart, knows his football and has very very good throwing mechanics. If they can keep him upright back there I don't think he'll have any problems running that west coast system, I have no idea why Jay Gruden seems so loving sour about the whole thing. Probably he wanted to draft another interior run stuffer from Alabama or something

Washington should have a pretty strong line even if their LG spot seems to be perpetually weak :shrug:

What has Gruden said about Haskins? I haven't seen much other than him saying they're not going to rush him and force him into the starting spot, going to develop him right, blah blah

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Play posted:

Can you back this up with actual reasoning or are you just throwing it out there?

He won’t be able to get through his reads quick enough in the nfl IMO

You’re grabbing a year potential guy that has serious stretches of flaws/tape.

So is post quality inspector above or below mod status

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

He won’t be able to get through his reads quick enough in the nfl IMO

You’re grabbing a year potential guy that has serious stretches of flaws/tape.

So is post quality inspector above or below mod status

Nothing wrong with just throwing it out there, I didn't mean to give that impression. Just curious as to your reasoning. I know Haskins' football IQ is extremely high, so that's a point in his favor. His reads seem okay, not elite like Mahomes or anything but okay. Still a lot to learn in the NFL.

To me, the nervous thing with Dwayne is that he can't move well at all. A lot of the most successful quarterbacks in the league right now have okay to great mobility.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where did you hear that? SI has an article where Jay seems really positive about him, and talks about how much Gruden put into researching the draft class. Even outside of coachspeak and assuming what they say isn't bullshit they would have considered Haskins to be at worst the third best QB in the draft, and someone worthy of a first round pick.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-draft/2019/4/25/18517357/nfl-draft-washington-redskins-dwayne-haskins-dan-snyder

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1121544979179085824

There were some reports before the draft that Gruden didn't want Haskins and that it was all Snyder / Allen. Word was that Gruden actually wanted Jones outside the first round. They may not be accurate, just like always. Of course, once he's already drafted you won't hear him say anything negative to the media. Pretty hard to see past all the smoke and mirrors, maybe Jay just didn't want them to move up recklessly for Haskins.

I actually do think Jay is coming around pretty fast if he actually wasn't into Haskins before. He seems legitimately impressed so far

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He’s great at reading pre-snap but i just don’t like guys i don’t see regularly going to 3rd options

Maybe I’m being nit picky

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Haskins is fat and has mechanic issues that could realistically sink him in the NFL

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Play posted:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-draft/2019/4/25/18517357/nfl-draft-washington-redskins-dwayne-haskins-dan-snyder

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1121544979179085824

There were some reports before the draft that Gruden didn't want Haskins and that it was all Snyder / Allen. Word was that Gruden actually wanted Jones outside the first round. They may not be accurate, just like always. Of course, once he's already drafted you won't hear him say anything negative to the media. Pretty hard to see past all the smoke and mirrors, maybe Jay just didn't want them to move up recklessly for Haskins.

I actually do think Jay is coming around pretty fast if he actually wasn't into Haskins before. He seems legitimately impressed so far

Oh yeah, I remember that stuff now. I think in the end the easiest way to tell how invested the team is in Gruden's opinion is whether or not he survives this season.

I'm not optimistic.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s great at reading pre-snap but i just don’t like guys i don’t see regularly going to 3rd options

Fair enough, you're right about that. He also likes to follow a receiver with his eyes that he thinks is coming open. At Ohio State he was probably right, they were coming open but in the NFL that can be a recipe for interceptions. His overall intelligence is a decent sign that he could show progress there

Doltos posted:

Haskins is fat and has mechanic issues that could realistically sink him in the NFL

As far as mechanical issues, the biggest thing I can see is that he doesn't actually have a ton of power in his arm alone (think Rodgers, Murray, Mayfield who can all throw very well without using their feet at all). He's a guy who needs to set his feet, which is actually how you're supposed to do it but in an NFL game it's pretty useful to be able to throw a few different ways. He maneuvers the pocket effectively, but true scrambling isn't gonna fly. He throws well under pressure (think a guy bearing down and about to sack him) which is good for a guy who doesn't move that quickly. Basically he moves his feet well but he doesn't move them fast

His throwing motion itself is pretty solid. Quick with good fundamentals and gets a lot of nice torque from his hips and his elbow. His general lack of athleticism is a concern, though because athleticism tends to help QBs in every phase of their game. His passing accuracy is going to have to be top notch, but as we've seen with guys like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan that can absolutely be enough to be a great quarterback. Actually, I've heard him described as a smaller Ben Roethlisberger which does encapsulate his game more or less

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

89 posted:

The Eagles were the most injured and banged up team in the NFL (overall roster), and still made and advanced in the playoffs last season

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...impression=true

and the worst banged up offense was Washington. Which gives me hope for the future

so it can get loving dashed again

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

As far as mechanical issues, the biggest thing I can see is that he doesn't actually have a ton of power in his arm alone (think Rodgers, Murray, Mayfield who can all throw very well without using their feet at all). He's a guy who needs to set his feet, which is actually how you're supposed to do it but in an NFL game it's pretty useful to be able to throw a few different ways. He maneuvers the pocket effectively, but true scrambling isn't gonna fly. He throws well under pressure (think a guy bearing down and about to sack him) which is good for a guy who doesn't move that quickly. Basically he moves his feet well but he doesn't move them fast

His throwing motion itself is pretty solid. Quick with good fundamentals and gets a lot of nice torque from his hips and his elbow. His general lack of athleticism is a concern, though because athleticism tends to help QBs in every phase of their game. His passing accuracy is going to have to be top notch, but as we've seen with guys like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan that can absolutely be enough to be a great quarterback. Actually, I've heard him described as a smaller Ben Roethlisberger which does encapsulate his game more or less

He's all arm and he doesn't set at all. His mechanics are super hosed from a traditional sense. Setting is a big deal and completely changes your timing. He also didn't have the best knack for hitting his WRs in stride which again hurts him even further if he's going to be tearing down his mechanics and starting over.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

is getting to the third option a typical college skill though? I figured that was something you developed in the pros (genuine question)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, I hate Washington and all but it's a little weird to be totally down on Haskins before he even takes a snap. I don't pretend to know a lot about mechanics, analyzing film and I hardly ever watch college games but sticking him on this franchise...I doubt we'll even get a chance to know if he is worth a poo poo or not.

Washington has tons of issues all over the field and especially in the front office so the kid is almost hosed before he even takes the field and that's a shame. Washington has done exactly Jack and poo poo since Snyder took over that team and I don't have any reason to believe that will change.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/SnydDa0.htm

139-180-1 since 1999 with a highest win total of 10 (3x) and not one playoff win in a division where every other team has multiple playoff wins and a few championships. Tons of money spent on free agents.

This team will never go anywhere with that jackass owner.

I'm cool with that.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I hate Washington and all but it's a little weird to be totally down on Haskins before he even takes a snap. I don't pretend to know a lot about mechanics, analyzing film and I hardly ever watch college games but sticking him on this franchise...I doubt we'll even get a chance to know if he is worth a poo poo or not.

Washington has tons of issues all over the field and especially in the front office so the kid is almost hosed before he even takes the field and that's a shame. Washington has done exactly Jack and poo poo since Snyder took over that team and I don't have any reason to believe that will change.

139-180-1 since 1999 with a highest win total of 10 (3x) and not one playoff win in a division where every other team has multiple playoff wins and a few championships. Tons of money spent on free agents.

I'm cool with that.

:smith:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

He's all arm and he doesn't set at all. His mechanics are super hosed from a traditional sense. Setting is a big deal and completely changes your timing. He also didn't have the best knack for hitting his WRs in stride which again hurts him even further if he's going to be tearing down his mechanics and starting over.

Man I don't agree with this at all. He does a great job planting his front foot, using his hips to transfer weight and generate force. The one thing is his follow-through relies a bit too much on his arm sometimes, especially for short and midrange throws. But that's okay, honestly, because he's still accurate. Overall he has good weight transfer, he uses his hips in to generate force as he moves from his front to his back leg... all things you generally want from a quarterback.

I went looking for an example and found a throwing motion video and this throw in particular which is a nice long touchdown throw from the 40 yard line, which will show his mechanics when he needs to get the ball somewhere far away. He sets well, steps into it and transfers the weight with great timing. You can also see how whiplike his arm is in the elbow and shoulder when he throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-T2jUMUQOM&t=209s

I feel like he's gonna go in there and blow Case Keenum away in terms of talent. The problem is that Case is like, EXACTLY the kind of quarterback (weak armed semi-athletic undersized white dudes) that Jay loves so who knows

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm cool with that.

I don't think they're an awful team talentwise right now with the exception of passcatchers. They really don't have poo poo for proven weapons there except a constantly injured Jordan Reed. So that's not promising.

Couldn't agree with you more about the organization as a whole. It's a poo poo group from top to bottom but I'm still gonna be cheering my man Dwayne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Haskins' best trait is his mental processing, which is a pretty good thing tbh