Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Please tell me why open world game developers don't understand that if you're going to have a big map you should make sure that poo poo is popping off CONSTANTLY to give you things to do and see

An empty world is pointless, if your game is about chaos make it chaotic or at least give the players a way to generate that chaos whenever they want it

chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I don't know if that's true. Far Cry 5 was an off-putting example of this, you couldn't rest for a minute without some shooting popping off in the background. There is something to be said for more desolate, muted open worlds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No! My beloved peasant village!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lambert posted:

I don't know if that's true. Far Cry 5 was an off-putting example of this, you couldn't rest for a minute without some shooting popping off in the background. There is something to be said for more desolate, muted open worlds.

That something is boring sorry to say, I like things happening around me as I'm driving between towns and bandit bases.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Lambert posted:

Far Cry 5 was a great example of why chaos is preferable, though. The more you emptied out the side events the more the world emptied out until there was basically nothing happening. The main issue is that in Far Cry 5 there were only really two factions, you and the bad guys, so you were always under fire whereas this game has a bunch, and they could easily make it so skirmishes and events were happening constantly that you could intervene with.

I probably will pick up this game a few months down the line when it's cheaper because the shooting does look really good, but I was hoping there'd be enough to do and see to make it worth playing while I'm on holiday. Seems like even if I was dicking around (and I spend a lot of time dicking around in games) I'd probably reach the endgame pretty fast and it doesn't seem to give you enough opportunities to really get into extended gunfights or the like when you've cleared places out.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I preferred the version where no chaos was happening, because sometimes, I want to hunt and fish in peace. And getting shot at constantly while travelling to missions is supremely annoying.

I don't want to "intervene" in random events that repeat every five minutes, that type of generated content is not interesting to me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah there's a balance imo, Far Cry 5 you'd literally be jumped by animals, scouting parties, cars pulling up on the road to shoot you, etc, constantly while on the way between places. It's like they were afraid people would get bored if they went literally 30 seconds without something happening. Sounds like this is on the other end of the spectrum though were almost nothing happens which is also not great. I think the older Far Crys or RDR2 got the balance right, stuff happened and popped off often enough.

Shame this game sounds a bit disappointing, was potentially going to grab it but think I'll just get it on sale at some point. No rush since there's loads of games on my steam list I should play first.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 14, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
On PC, are all the keys fully rebindable? Can you disable mouse smoothing? Is there an FoV slider?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreatGreen posted:

On PC, are all the keys fully rebindable? Can you disable mouse smoothing? Is there an FoV slider?

I haven't found a key that I can't rebind. (but I've only rebound a few of them)
I don't see an option for mouse smoothing
There is an FoV slider.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I don't think you can rebind the accept dialogue/menu/nuisance key from "enter". Thankfully you can also press spacebar when it says enter.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This game commits the worst sin a console game can commit: not letting me jump with L1 and crouch with R3

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game looks aggressively mediocre, and I get strong Red Faction: Guerilla vibes during the driving around bits, not sure why.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like it.

Getting that headshot feels real good. Then drive to next shooty place. Enjoy graphics.

Eat my poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell, I wish this or any other open-world game had anything near RF:G's destruction engine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Maybe nobody knows this yet but how's the replayability? Apparently once you clear a base or do a mission, it's you can't redo it anymore and nothing repopulates.

So, once you beat the game do you just get let loose back into an empty world? Do thing start respawning? Do the credits roll and you start over?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Not every game needs to be World of Warcraft. Bases I've cleared should stay empty, unless it's specifically a Don Quixote game.

(But, no clue whether you'll be able to reset the game world)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Trip report after 3-4 hours with the game: it's a mixed bag so far. On the one hand, the shooting itself is satisfying, but not the frenzied madness the trailers made it out to be. Hell, Doom was more frantic, even at the start of the game. Also not a fan of the fact that every enemy shits grenades with merry abandon. Even on normal, I'm seeing half a dozen grenade icons surrounding me in any decent firefight - if that's a way to disincentivize staying cover, that's loving lazy.

The one major problem I had with the first game was that we had no reason to care about anything: We wake up, John Goodman makes us his bitch, then we're told Authority Bad, Go Kill. For the vast majority of the game, we're never told why Authority Bad, however, and that made it difficult to feel any enthusiasm for anything. They decided to rectify things by dropping us in the middle of a firefight where our home town/military base is under attack and everyone dies. Except we never get to meet anyone before poo poo Gets Craycray so we watch the character's adopted mother die while the game screams 'LOOK AT THESE PEOPLE YOU LOVE THEM YOU CARE ABOUT THEM NOW GET REVENGE ON THEIR BEHALF'. They tried to course-correct so hard, they managed to arrive at the exact same destination but via a different route.

Not to say that the game is bad, per se, just that it's underwhelming compared to what I assume most of us believed we were getting (NuDoom 1.5xBorderlands).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Lambert posted:

Not every game needs to be World of Warcraft. Bases I've cleared should stay empty, unless it's specifically a Don Quixote game.

(But, no clue whether you'll be able to reset the game world)

I've always liked the idea of being able to completely clear out a game but then being able to selectively revive individual parts for replaying if you feel like it.

Like, once you beat the game, you can go to the map, select a fort or mission and then select "replay" or "revive" in the submenu, then play it over again. Seems like a fun way to breathe some extra life into a game you like while being totally ignorable if you don't care about it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 14, 2019

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Sounds like it might have the same problem Mad Max had. Once you beat the game, trying to find enemies to get the Plat was a nightmare.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This screams “Redbox” to me.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Been playing on nightmare here and its pretty hard at first, but once you grab a few arcs it gets easier, although in my case it got far easier when I found the rocket launcher. The weird thing is you would expect there to not be much rocket ammo but the game keeps making GBS threads it at me that i can find like, 6 seperate rocket ammo pack around the area, and even on nightmare a direct hit instagibs most goons.

I would not recommend playing on nightmare for the earlier parts but later on its probably a good idea if you want death to be a possibility. Enemies can do a lot of damage very quickly on that difficulty and headshots with the rifle don't kill easily anymore, so you have to dodge a lot more.

Game is fun, but I would not recommend it until its on sale unless you have money to burn and want a new game. I think I might be enjoying it more because I don't usually play this style of open world game so I don't suffer from burnout.

That being said, plot is so bad it loops around to funny for me.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 14, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
For anybody playing with keyboard and mouse, can you rebind the Focus command to a mouse thumb button?

Seems like it would be a lot easier to hit MouseThumb+Key than Ctrl+Key.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

For anybody playing with keyboard and mouse, can you rebind the Focus command to a mouse thumb button?

Yeah, you can, and actually that's a very good idea i'm going to take.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Is overdrive not working for anyone else ? The skull icon doesn't fill during combat, no matter how high my multiplier gets and using overdrive infusions doesn't fill the meter either :/

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

GreatGreen posted:

I just use Insta cast bindings for all the focus skills. I think Ctrl to focus out of combat is fine

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RAGE 2 has a brutally difficult race that will probably need to be patched to lower its difficulty. The race is required in order to progress further into the game, so it's not something you can just skip or come back to later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

RAGE 2 has a brutally difficult race that will probably need to be patched to lower its difficulty. The race is required in order to progress further into the game, so it's not something you can just skip or come back to later.

wow, it really is a mad max redux

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Even on hard, I’m sad this game falls into the standard open world trap of getting insanely overpowered over time. It’s like I’m being punished for doing side stuff because I’m only 3 hours in but it is already significantly easier than the start.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Go up to nightmare, that will solve that problem, but unfortunately its only by making you far more fragile and enemies durable. Unless you use the rocket launcher, which is able to kill a boss so fast they only get off 3 attacks.

Also I tried one of the voice pack cheat codes and they suck, it never ever stops saying stuff, even when nothing is happening, and its very very unfunny.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Thread title candidate: Yeah, it's a GOON world shitguzzler, and there ain't nothin' you can do to stop us!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I'm only a few min in but so many things about this game just have me LOL'in (like bad movie LOL'in)

Did they seriously name the main character Walker, and also call the mech zombie things Walkers? I think someone said both words in the same sentence early on.
"Walker, get over here, the walkers are here!"

Also when the general pops out, everyone is using their guns on him like 3 feet away. That's not really necessary when using bullets. You can be far away. You don't have to get crushed and die.

Also did my aunt who raised me flick a loving cigarette at me or something? What just happened?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

playing a bit longer really gives me the Mad Max meets Bulletstorm vibe, and all sorts of influences. I think this is just mindless fun after a long workday. Story seems highly uninteresting from every aspect, RAGE wasn't really creative but id always nailed down staging for all their own games, now and before. Tight introductions of enemys, weapons, etc. Good times. Now I'm presented with a tutorial on how to use a loving shotgun... weee. (also the shotgun feels way too weak :( ) I find the visual quality oddly inconsistent for some reason. Mad Max had a much better overall look, and even Just Cause 4 has more consistency to it.

Could be that the fun runs out after half the completion since hunting chests and map icons has never been fun for a longer time but until then I probably enjoy it for what it is, not what it wants to be (and definitively not what marketing dreamt of it to be... lol)

It's not too bad really. But probably not worth the full price for most.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Stupid question, I got a code for this which wouldn't activate on Steam, turns out it's a Bethesda code instead and I was able to activate and install it with the Bethesda launcher. Does this mean I can't get this on Steam? Or can I transfer it somehow? Would prefer to have it on Steam

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jaete posted:

Stupid question, I got a code for this which wouldn't activate on Steam, turns out it's a Bethesda code instead and I was able to activate and install it with the Bethesda launcher. Does this mean I can't get this on Steam? Or can I transfer it somehow? Would prefer to have it on Steam

Can't get it on Steam.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

foreshadowing?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Man everything about this game feels like a horrible chimera of game design and narrative tropes of the current gen

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haldolium posted:

foreshadowing?

This game has a lot of goon hate. :argh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Welp, I think my decision is that I'm excited to play it... for about $25-30.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Man everything about this game feels like a horrible chimera of game design and narrative tropes of the current gen

It's a lot of familiar systems that have meshed better in other games. I like the shooting better than far cry which is a big deal since that's 90% of these games, otherwise I say rent this first. All the criticisms are accurate, it depends on how much those issues bother you.

I was hopeful it'd be another runaway id surprise hit but it's truly Avalanches mad max + id gunplay to a T. If you're on the fence, wait. If you want something to do for the next few weeks, rent it first. This game is the definition of 76%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean I dont mind the gameplay as much as the main villain being a general of a hivemind army who is a serious guy in big armor while you get a special suit and a special title that makes you uniquely important and your mission is to find hidden artifacts with your suit to fight back.

Like, thats the plot of destiny 1, destiny 2, anthem, mass effect andromeda, warframe, etc.