Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I'd be down for a tighter, better designed experience so if that's why they're shrinking the space I'm all for it. Holding off until release this time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Hell, there's probably way more than 20% of Subnautica's map that has literally nothing in it but sand/mountain rock and reapers, with no reason to ever go there, at all.

So I'm not too concerned.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

As long as you can fall out of your submarine all the way to the sea floor and die on impact it'll still have that big, open-world Subnautica feel imo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Subnautica was insanely generous for a $20 game so it's silly to expect more content for less money indefinitely.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Entitled gamers gonna bitch.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Even $25 for the original game is cheap as poo poo. Well worth the money.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'd be interested to know the volume of the maps. I believe they said this one would have a smaller footprint but much more verticality.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
may god have mercy if thy drop below 8 cubic unreal units per penny in the expansion, that's highway robbery

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like to judge my game value in comparison to the value of the beers I've drank while enjoying the game. If I've enjoyed the game for long enough to drink more than it's value in beer while playing it, then I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Subnautica is probably closing in on a 10:1 ratio for me at this point.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

wolrah posted:

I like to judge my game value in comparison to the value of the beers I've drank while enjoying the game. If I've enjoyed the game for long enough to drink more than it's value in beer while playing it, then I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

Subnautica is probably closing in on a 10:1 ratio for me at this point.

That's a clever system. I like it better than comparing it to a movie ticket. I'd have to do some adaptation since candy is my vice of choice, but Subnautica has probably exceeded its value in chewy spree anyway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That's a clever system. I like it better than comparing it to a movie ticket. I'd have to do some adaptation since candy is my vice of choice, but Subnautica has probably exceeded its value in chewy spree anyway.

I used to judge against movie tickets by an hours per dollar metric, but movies got more expensive and I got a projector so I stopped going to the theater much and it just didn't make as much sense.

The beer metric also kind of loosens me up about buying games because I'm a craft beer guy so a few glasses with dinner can easily cost more than a game on sale. If I buy a game and make a sandwich instead of going out to eat I save money.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

JawnV6 posted:

may god have mercy if thy drop below 8 cubic unreal units per penny in the expansion, that's highway robbery

This but angrily restaeted as a statement about principal and ethics and blaming current political issues

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

wolrah posted:

I used to judge against movie tickets by an hours per dollar metric, but movies got more expensive and I got a projector so I stopped going to the theater much and it just didn't make as much sense.

The beer metric also kind of loosens me up about buying games because I'm a craft beer guy so a few glasses with dinner can easily cost more than a game on sale. If I buy a game and make a sandwich instead of going out to eat I save money.

Absolutely. If I was still single my Steam Library would be triple its value (which already shamefully high).

I mean I slammed down my cash as soon as Below Zero hit Early Access because they've already shown they can produce 1 (one) Subnautica, so there's not really any risk that a second additional Subnautica will fail to materialize. It's also one of my wife's favorite games so we'll pretty much take turns going through the current content at various points in the game's development.

To complain that this standalone expansion is the same price as the original game is real fuckin' whiny. Even the content so far is not only so so good, but has such a different feel from the first game to make it stand on its own and make me very, very excited for the final product.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i care a hell of a lot more about them making below zero not the literal most glitchy, buggy, broken game experience i have ever had in my life than i do about world size. hell i'd be pretty tempted to re-buy the original game if they released an un-hosed version of it so i could actually enjoy my time with it, since my one playthrough of the finished game was one of the most disappointing experiences i've ever had with anything ever entirely due to how loving broken everything was.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm willing to let go of my desire for a massive map, in return for randomized map generation.

Otherwise it will be just like the first game, where the joy of exploration and discovery goes away after a single playthrough.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Like half of Subnautica's map is wasteland patrolled by Reapers that you will never go into and has nothing interesting or valuable to find or see. A smaller, well designed map would be great.

enraged_camel posted:

I'm willing to let go of my desire for a massive map, in return for randomized map generation.

Otherwise it will be just like the first game, where the joy of exploration and discovery goes away after a single playthrough.

A procedurally generated map would be the single worst thing they could add.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

uPen posted:

A procedurally generated map would be the single worst thing they could add.

I, too, enjoy memorizing where everything is so that I can bee-line to known points of interests immediately after starting a new game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

enraged_camel posted:

I, too, enjoy memorizing where everything is so that I can bee-line to known points of interests immediately after starting a new game.
Then... Don't?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Then... Don't?

My point is that one of the most compelling things about survival games in general is the joy of exploration and discovery. It is not a good thing when you learn where everything is, because then you stop feeling rewarded for taking risks to explore the unknown.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

enraged_camel posted:

The first game would have been bad with a procedural world, and I imagine the expansion is the same. It's the kind of game that benefits far more from a static world they can design than a randomized world. Like maybe they could randomly put some bases in different places? But they'd still need to be preset places.

enraged_camel posted:

My point is that one of the most compelling things about survival games in general is the joy of exploration and discovery. It is not a good thing when you learn where everything is, because then you stop feeling rewarded for taking risks to explore the unknown.

The vast majority of survival games don't have a strong story to go with them, and are just "here's a world go survive". Random worlds make stories with sensitive locations way more difficult.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 13, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

necrotic posted:

The first game would have been bad with a procedural world, and I imagine the expansion is the same. It's the kind of game that benefits far more from a static world they can design than a randomized world. Like maybe they could randomly put some bases in different places? But they'd still need to be preset places.

I would be okay with that compromise: randomize the locations of wrecks, lifepods, and similar points of interest, and further randomize the techs found inside each. The player should think "oh nice, here's the Grand Reef wreck, I wonder what I'll find inside" rather than "I must go to the Grand Reef wreck at coordinates X, Y to scan the blueprint for technology Z."

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

enraged_camel posted:

I would be okay with that compromise: randomize the locations of wrecks, lifepods, and similar points of interest, and further randomize the techs found inside each. The player should think "oh nice, here's the Grand Reef wreck, I wonder what I'll find inside" rather than "I must go to the Grand Reef wreck at coordinates X, Y to scan the blueprint for technology Z."

Yeah I'd like that level of randomization at least. Though the lifepods are used a bit as guides to get you out into the world.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

They'd have to be careful about randomization vs. depth though, lest you find depth upgrade 1 for the seamoth at 700m down or something.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm sure subnautica having a randomly generated world couldn't possibly make it any more of a buggy trainwreck than it already is, this sounds like a great idea

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

They'd have to be careful about randomization vs. depth though, lest you find depth upgrade 1 for the seamoth at 700m down or something.

They can randomize amongst a list of pre-determined places. So the GR wreck could, for instance, spawn in one of five or six possible locations, all within a certain depth range so as to not make progression impossible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
One small thing what would massively improve the game but doesn't happen for technical reasons: if the pipes were replaced with hoses that could unspool and follow you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pipes would have a use if they were like ten times longer.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Randomization is kind of eh because all that ends up happening is that you enter a random generic biome, find the random quest spawns, and then move on to the next random generic biome and repeat.

Handcrafting it allows you to make memorable locations that don't feel like copy-pasta at the cost of players spending one minute less searching for some wreckage.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I wouldn't want random biomes in a story mode, but having them in something like creative mode could be neat. For story mode, I just want some changing conditions within each biome. Like having different predators out between day and night, or after certain story events, or having certain creatures able to freely move between biomes instead of having a set patrol path.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hwurmp posted:

Pipes would have a use if they were like ten times longer.

I built 2 big pipes before I knew what I was doing and put together a seamoth. One was over an entrance to the lost river, the other somewhere around Jellyshroom.

Even then they're a finicky mess.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'm just imagining even more randomization from a game where you'd already find six laser cutter parts in an enclosed room only accessible via laser cutter :stare:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

Randomization is kind of eh because all that ends up happening is that you enter a random generic biome, find the random quest spawns, and then move on to the next random generic biome and repeat.

Handcrafting it allows you to make memorable locations that don't feel like copy-pasta at the cost of players spending one minute less searching for some wreckage.

I never have to visit the underwater islands or kush zone in most of my playthroughs because I can get all of my tech from safer southern wrecks. I think each wreck should at least have 1 exclusive piece of tech you can't find on any other wreck.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Section Z posted:

I'm just imagining even more randomization from a game where you'd already find six laser cutter parts in an enclosed room only accessible via laser cutter :stare:

Yeah, that's just kind of spitballing. My only real hard requirement for BZ is more bugs, bigger bugs, sys32.exe deleting bugs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A random worldgen mode could be done as a "new game plus" type thing where you keep the tech tree from your fixed world playthrough and then just need to gather resources rather than unlocking new blueprints. They could even throw out the storyline entirely and just have it be pure survival in an unknown world at that point, or just a way to run creative in a new environment.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Subnautica without the story and the fixed locations is not a good game. I'm sorry you can't discover things a second time but not every experience should be twisted so that it can be replayed.

Procedural generation would be pretty meaningless anyway. You wouldn't be discovering anything new on subsequent playthroughs, you'd just be trying to figure out where biome X and resource Y are on your random map. You'd still know you need to get specific resources, tools, and vehicles in a given order. It would still be just as stale as with a fixed map.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I too am against randomized maps in Subnautica!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am for randomized maps, and more play options in general!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have played through Subnautica several times, as soon as I am done with a playthrough I also forget where stuff is.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just smoke vast amounts of weed so I forget where everything is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I just smoke vast amounts of weed so I forget where everything is

truly the pro-est of strats