Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mycomancy posted:

The only way this could've ended better is if all these rich fuckhead Boomers fought each other to the death, with the winner committing suicide.

There was another case out in the country with again, two retired rich boomer professionals who have never been wrong or disrespected in their lives getting into a property dispute. Neither of them farmed their land, they just wanted to hoard acres. One of them put up a big long fence and the other got extremely worried the fence might be slightly on his property and in fact was totally sure it was like 20' off. Guy who built the fence assured him he got a proper survey done and built the fence exactly correctly but he would be deeply offended and counter-sue if the other guy went and surveyed him self. The other guy's survey found the fence was up to a foot off so he demanded it demolished off *his* property. Fence builder knew he did it right and accused him of fudging the survey. In total they got about 6 surveys done and had to get some super expensive millimeter accurate one done. In the end it turns out the fence, in areas, was maybe an inch or two over the property line so had to be destroyed in the name of property rights.

Oh also they were decent friends for years before this happened but both lost their poo poo. Destroyed a friendship and a nice fence and half a million dollars because it was incredibly important to find out who was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Honestly, I like the look of this neighborhood. Each house has its own personality. If every house looked like any one of those it'd be boring as hell. I don't like the house in the center (or really any of them) but it's so much better than the vinyl sided, tiny shuttered, copy paste developments around me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

those windows arent loss >:(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

White boxy house is not the worst thing in that neighborhood.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

peanut posted:

The white boxy house looks quite good and would fit in just fine if it didn't have the windows from a CIA safe-house in the middle east circa 1980. Imagine about a dozen satellite dishes on the roof.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Baronjutter posted:

There was another case out in the country with again, two retired rich boomer professionals who have never been wrong or disrespected in their lives getting into a property dispute. Neither of them farmed their land, they just wanted to hoard acres. One of them put up a big long fence and the other got extremely worried the fence might be slightly on his property and in fact was totally sure it was like 20' off. Guy who built the fence assured him he got a proper survey done and built the fence exactly correctly but he would be deeply offended and counter-sue if the other guy went and surveyed him self. The other guy's survey found the fence was up to a foot off so he demanded it demolished off *his* property. Fence builder knew he did it right and accused him of fudging the survey. In total they got about 6 surveys done and had to get some super expensive millimeter accurate one done. In the end it turns out the fence, in areas, was maybe an inch or two over the property line so had to be destroyed in the name of property rights.

Oh also they were decent friends for years before this happened but both lost their poo poo. Destroyed a friendship and a nice fence and half a million dollars because it was incredibly important to find out who was right.

Is there some sort of brain illness that kicks in and makes old dudes freak out about fences? My grandfather steadily alienated all his neighbors by bickering with them relentlessly over hedges, fences, and the division of a shared driveway (really, the neighbor's driveway and his were side by side so it was basically one giant slab of asphalt across the property line, but he insisted they kepy parking over on 'his side' and trying to steal it away, so he installed dividing poles in the middle to mark the division).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tl;dr: if someone "takes" your property with fences or driveways or whatever for long enough, they can end up having rights to or owning that part of it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always had a theory that old white boomers who have lived such comfortable lives almost have an immune disorder for things they care about or get upset about. While a normal person might get up in arms and go protest to protect their health care system or fight for environmental causes or women's rights, the wealthy old boomer has nothing in their pampered retirement age to get upset about so have to invent things to get upset about.

"The neighbour power washed his side of his adjoined driveway but ended up power washing a couple feet of mine so it looks like his driveway is bigger and now I feel like I'm forced to power wash my half" becomes an injustice that can not be ignored. Bridges will be burned, sided will be taken, lawyers will be hired, hills will be died on.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This also helps them rationalise away everyone else's grievances as being equally trivial. I mean they can just choose to be magnanimous and let the power-washing slide, so why can't others be just as gracious about their lack of healthcare or increased likelihood of being stopped by police?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If every house looked like any one of those it'd be boring as hell.

They're all very much alike in that they're butt-ugly.

Whoops hehe better turn on all my monitors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I've always had a theory that old white boomers who have lived such comfortable lives almost have an immune disorder for things they care about or get upset about. While a normal person might get up in arms and go protest to protect their health care system or fight for environmental causes or women's rights, the wealthy old boomer has nothing in their pampered retirement age to get upset about so have to invent things to get upset about.

Or a slight variation on this, everything in their lives has been hammered flat to such a degree that anything sticking up gets all their attention. So it's not so much inventing things to be upset about so much as not having anything bigger to compare it to and it becomes the biggest issue in their lives.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I can assure you all that territorial oversensitivity knows no bounds regarding race, gender or general appearance of sanity. On the other hand, it is correct that your retired boomer dentist is exactly the sort of person who has enough liquid assets to escalate this sort of thing to the courts.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Honesty, the exposed sloppy looking wires for the TV and the loving sectional in front of a closet almost offend me more than those windows.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

couldcareless posted:

Honesty, the exposed sloppy looking wires for the TV and the loving sectional in front of a closet almost offend me more than those windows.

The closet has sliding doors and it looks as if there's plenty of room for a non-American to access it.

e: I mean everything is still ugly as all hell but the closet isn't a problem :shrug:

ee: I'm the chest of drawers in the nursery that was stolen from a 1983 Finnish Summer cottage.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

the wealthy old boomer spoiled Millennials/GenZ has nothing in their pampered retirement age early-late 20s to get upset about so have to invent things to get upset about.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I am sitting on that identical couch right now! It's pretty comfy for 600 bucks from ikea, and it pulls out into a sofa bed.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Ashcans posted:

Is there some sort of brain illness that kicks in and makes old dudes freak out about fences? My grandfather steadily alienated all his neighbors by bickering with them relentlessly over hedges, fences, and the division of a shared driveway (really, the neighbor's driveway and his were side by side so it was basically one giant slab of asphalt across the property line, but he insisted they kepy parking over on 'his side' and trying to steal it away, so he installed dividing poles in the middle to mark the division).

When we moved into our new house the literal first thing the old dude next door said to my wife was how the fence is a little rickety and we might want to consider replacing it. Seriously, the very first thing was about the fence.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

peanut posted:

Yeah that hip roof monstrosity on the right is 100x worse. Somehow Crappy Construction attracted the picket fence and vinyl column crowd.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Tiny Lowtax posted:

When we moved into our new house the literal first thing the old dude next door said to my wife was how the fence is a little rickety and we might want to consider replacing it. Seriously, the very first thing was about the fence.

Within 48 hours of us entering our house, the retiree next door came over, introduced herself, and told me that I was to remove all weeds bordering her property as well as remove all the ivy on my property that was getting near her house, and that an old tree in the front yard needed removed before it touched her “garden”. Literally within a minute of introducing herself to us.

Leaded gasoline hosed that generation up something fierce, I guess.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If it helps I'm a millenium and fences are also all I talk to my neighbours new and old about.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love my parents but they freak out about dripping two drops of water on the floor of the kitchen if you don't instantly swoop down to wipe it up, complain about running hot water down the garbage disposal (this will make it only last 20 years instead of 30 years), and otherwise focus way too much on stupid tiny details. And one time someone climbed over their back fence, so now the quality, height, and condition of their fence is of constant concern. They are on good terms with their neighbors at least, but that is partially on the basis of a status-quo agreement over territorial claims on the lengths of curb on their block and who gets to park their cars along them, even though they're all actually public street that anyone can park on. If you have a guest who parks in front of a neighbor's house, this infringement will be noted. If it happens frequently, there will be a passive-aggressive note. Or a not so passive-aggressive retaliatory shift of your own vehicles to be partially in front of their house.

They're well off and very comfortable and just need to be annoyed about insignificant details in their lives. All this petty poo poo really is just a symptom of aging I think. My stepdad in particular has always been something of a control freak, but he's gotten a lot worse in the last decade, especially after retiring. He's bored and needs someone to lecture to about anything. This isn't just a boomer problem, it's an old people thing. All they have left as their health fails and their work is gone, is to try to assert control over the remaining aspects ever-shrinking horizons of their lives that are within reach.

We as a society need to find things for our elderly to do that makes them feel important and useful, or else they will do so on their own, to our collective detriment.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leperflesh posted:

We as a society need to find things for our elderly to do that makes them feel important and useful, or else they will do so on their own, to our collective detriment.

https://www.redcross.org/volunteer/become-a-volunteer.html

Keeps my dad and uncle busy, they both enjoy it. They have a lot of different volunteer positions, too. Dad is on a DAT team, responding to house fires and stuff, and also deploys to disaster areas. He just got back from the Nebraska floods. But there are people who just do office work, or maintain CB radio links, or work on the vehicles, install smoke alarms or run public events, tons of stuff.

https://twitter.com/RedCrossNorthFL/status/1115962656404512768

look at this goober, being all helpful and dadly, and letting kids run on his lawn without a care in the world

and before you say it, I know red cross isn't perfect and has it's flaws, but it allows dad to help a lot of people, and he gets a lot of fulfillment from it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 14, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

See this is what model trains are for, that way as you age into senility and dotage, you have the power to command entire towns and fleets of trains to operate at your beck and whim.

In the basement, where you are out of the way and not a burden to the rest of the world.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
e: wrong thread

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://www.redcross.org/volunteer/become-a-volunteer.html

Keeps my dad and uncle busy, they both enjoy it. They have a lot of different volunteer positions, too. Dad is on a DAT team, responding to house fires and stuff, and also deploys to disaster areas. He just got back from the Nebraska floods. But there are people who just do office work, or maintain CB radio links, or work on the vehicles, install smoke alarms or run public events, tons of stuff.

https://twitter.com/RedCrossNorthFL/status/1115962656404512768

look at this goober, being all helpful and dadly, and letting kids run on his lawn without a care in the world

and before you say it, I know red cross isn't perfect and has it's flaws, but it allows dad to help a lot of people, and he gets a lot of fulfillment from it.

Tell your dad he rules.

-signed a Nebraskan

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah my mom has parkinsons and so my dad is chained to the house most of the time since she can't be safely left alone for very long.

Also he spends all day trading, and does not accept suggestions from his kids about what he should do with himself (never has). But, yeah, volunteer work is a great way for the elderly to occupy themselves, if you can steer them towards the better sort of thing like red cross, vs. the sort of busybody volunteer work like being on the board of the HOA.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leperflesh posted:

Volunteer work is a great way for the elderly to occupy themselves, if you can steer them towards the better sort of thing like red cross, vs. the sort of busybody volunteer work like being on the board of the HOA.

TWIST he is also the head of his building's condo board. He successfully campaigned to get pets allowed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My folks have gotten into adult education classes and during the semester they want to go out and drink and talk about the cool stuff they're learning, but inbetween semesters they want to stay in and get increasingly squirrelly about politics. Volunteer work sounds like a good idea.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My dad decided to become an unlicensed handyman doing renovations and house repair projects for side money! I wouldn't be surprised if some of his work might fit on this very thread...

Also they have a stab-lock panel they refuse to get swapped out because it would be "too expensive" but are instead redoing their bathrooms that are perfectly nice already because it will "add value to the house"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You know what adds value to a house? It not being a charred pile of rubble.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Goddamn, start executing boomer CHUDS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crunchy Black posted:

Goddamn, start executing boomer CHUDS.

Why stop at just boomer CHUDS?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

This: "old people doing lame and uncool things that I totally won't do when I become old and uncool" derail sure is interesting!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My family and I moved last July so I could take a new position in a small, rural-ish college town. We bought a gorgeous house with a decrepit but salvageable workshop and garden shed, complete with a dedicated power main.

My wife and I have been ripping out the interior of the section we intend to keep, as it's basically a gigantic fire hazard and ugly as sin. As we're getting to the end of this demo, my job today was to disconnect all the wires leaving the electrical panel so she can pull them down at her leisure. I knew this panel was a mess but I hadn't looked closely at it...until today. Here's what I found.

:stonk: Just...why. What loving possessed someone to connect apparently every ground in the workshop to the neutral bus? And yeah, that's a goddamned black wire jammed in there. One of the lines I removed had the white wire hot and the black line neutral. :wtc:

:yikes: aluminum wire in cloth insulation! How did this thing not burn to the ground decades ago?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As I understand it, the ground's main purpose is to provide a safe pathway for the angry pixies to go, in the event that the neutral connection is broken but the hot connection remains connected. Tying the ground to the neutral at the box accomplishes this, as long as the neutral at the box is not broken. I believe in some cases the neutral at the box is grounded directly from the box, to ensure this works.

e. This also provides a pathway for induced current in the neutral to flow to ground.

This reddit post (yes yes I know) provides a reasonably thorough explanation, but basically: yeah that is OK, although ugly looking and the black wire should not have been used.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/38ocy1/why_bother_having_a_ground_if_neutral_and_ground/

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 14, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

As I understand it, the ground's main purpose is to provide a safe pathway for the angry pixies to go, in the event that the neutral connection is broken but the hot connection remains connected. Tying the ground to the neutral at the box accomplishes this, as long as the neutral at the box is not broken. I believe in some cases the neutral at the box is grounded directly from the box, to ensure this works.

e. This also provides a pathway for induced current in the neutral to flow to ground.

This reddit post (yes yes I know) provides a reasonably thorough explanation, but basically: yeah that is OK, although ugly looking and the black wire should not have been used.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/comments/38ocy1/why_bother_having_a_ground_if_neutral_and_ground/

Neutral should only be bonded to ground at one point, generally the main panel for the house/building. If you run a sub panel to the garage or something, the neutral and ground should be kept separate, according to NEC.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leperflesh posted:

That's handy - I needed to read that. I recently replaced some sockets in my house, and wired in new ones on the same leg, and, while testing that I had wired them properly, discovered that they are not grounded, despite the presence of ground wires in the wiring. I checked several other outlets, and they are likewise ungrounded, so I likely have an issue with the grounding at the breaker box. Whee! Now I at least know what to look for.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cross posting

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh loving god thats the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Neutral should only be bonded to ground at one point, generally the main panel for the house/building. If you run a sub panel to the garage or something, the neutral and ground should be kept separate, according to NEC.

Ah, right. Is there a chance that sub-panel actually has its own drop? If not, it may be a case of the previous owner knowing about that neutral bonding but not knowing that it doesn't apply for a sub-panel.

Darchangel posted:

That's handy - I needed to read that. I recently replaced some sockets in my house, and wired in new ones on the same leg, and, while testing that I had wired them properly, discovered that they are not grounded, despite the presence of ground wires in the wiring. I checked several other outlets, and they are likewise ungrounded, so I likely have an issue with the grounding at the breaker box. Whee! Now I at least know what to look for.

The wiring in the box may be just to ground the outlet to its outlet box. Or, are you saying you see wiring coming into the box consisting of black, white, + a ground wire, but that ground wire isn't registering as grounded?