Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is because it's a bad trope and DBZ is the biggest embodiment of it and the fundamental inability to take the joke in stride speaks to its power

Just because most shonen manga is written bad doesn't make the ur text of shonen not also bad

DBZ isn't the ur-text of modern shonen, that's Hokuto no Ken

Tetsuwan Atom is like

Primordial soup of shonen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

scary ghost dog posted:

dexter was an amazing piece of trash......a pretty good first season, two seasons of garbage, a pretty good fourth season, and then three seasons where every episode was worse than any previous episode. there was no reason to expect a good finale but there was still hope for some kind of conclusion, but instead of “dexter gets arrested” or “dexter gets killed” or even “dexter keeps killing/stops killing/kills more/kills less” we got “dexter goes somewhere else and might be killing or maybe stopped, who can say? not us”

It did this thing where the first episode of each later season seemed good and hopeful then the season would quickly decline to mediocrity. The last episode also had that bullshit with the hurricane that had the same name as his mommy amongst other things.

One of the worst bits was it was on at the same time as the last season of Breaking Bad so the contrast intensified all of that.

Edit: Checking some poo poo and I super forgot that Dexter was also 8 seasons and also the declines, at least user ratings wise, are about the same so now I'm not sure...GoT has higher highs later on and Dexter is fairly meh, both are pretty stuck around an 8.5~9 average...hell Dexter has 12 episodes each season so it's actually longer, but clearly more forgettable.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 14, 2019

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep forgetting Dexter was airing alongside Breaking Bad, why does it always feel like dexter ended before it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

I keep forgetting Dexter was airing alongside Breaking Bad

i watched both of them and i straight up cant believe this is true

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I should watch Dexter

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Captain Baal posted:

I keep forgetting Dexter was airing alongside Breaking Bad, why does it always feel like dexter ended before it

IIRC its series finale was an episode before Breaking Bad's so that's technically true. Yeah, checked and Dexter ended a week early, but it really ended years prior to that, in our hearts :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All of Dexter is on netflix god bless

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Viridiant posted:

Saying that every piece of media that does threat escalation is bad is as reductive and simplistic a way of thinking as saying that every character that's written like a Mary Sue is bad. A story can have an overdone or simple trope and still tell a brilliant story. "Threat escalation" is so vague and nonspecific a concept that you can do a whole lot of different things with it.

I'm sorry but did you just call Dragon Ball Z a 'brilliant story' because that's the stupidest thing thats been said in this thread in months

and i haven't been reading the thread much

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is yeah

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dragon ball is the greatest story ever told

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

I should watch Dexter

u really should......its one of the worst shows ever made. worse than heroes

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

good now this debate can end, no point continuing discussion with people who are not even attempting to hide their trolling

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one is trolling, friendo

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm gonna do it, don't you worry

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Captain Baal posted:

All of Dexter is on netflix god bless

My, and I think everyone's recommendation, is watch the first 4 seasons, maybe skip the third if you don't like it, I didn't think it was that bad yet, then just idk, purposely hate watch it or read/watch summaries of the rest.

Also I found the site, well I think this is a different one as it looks worse than I remember, that has graphs of the imdb ratings for shows. Here's Dexter's and here's Game of Thrones. They're quite similar but yeah, this last season of GoT is indeed tanking harder overall, if the finale isn't great this is indeed going to be a turbo-botch or whatever. Admittedly imdb user ratings aren't the best metric but it's what's readily available.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't actually watched GoT since like Red Wedding, but the discourse around it rn is making me wanna catch up to it. I'll watch all of Dexter, if I watch a show I watch all of it idc how awful it is I think there's something to be said for watching or reading something from start to finish no matter how bad something gets.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Captain Baal posted:

I think there's something to be said for watching or reading something from start to finish no matter how bad something gets.
It's called mental illness.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
anyone who thinks this season of game of thrones is significantly worse than the last two is in denial......imo part of the reason this season is getting hit so hard is bc people who assumed all the dumb stuff from season 5 onward would make sense in the end are finding out they were wrong

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Captain Baal posted:

I'll watch all of Dexter, if I watch a show I watch all of it idc how awful it is I think there's something to be said for watching or reading something from start to finish no matter how bad something gets.
:same:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's called mental illness.

This was touched on in the Dexter thread at the time, it's lost cost fallacy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thinking about the dexter scene where miami pd walk in on two fresh corpses with dexter in the shadows ten feet away and the coroner is like, “i know what happened here. these guys were sucking each other off and then killed each other” and the cops all nod and just leave

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
https://youtu.be/WJ_23QR1-qQ heres the scene

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

scary ghost dog posted:

Nothing is worse than Heroes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vandar posted:

Nothing is worse than Heroes.

Heroes is valuable because it taught me to never care about big genre serials.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

scary ghost dog posted:

I legit forgot that Heroes even existed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
heroes perfectly replicated the experience of reading comic books

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Indecisive posted:

I'm sorry but did you just call Dragon Ball Z a 'brilliant story' because that's the stupidest thing thats been said in this thread in months

and i haven't been reading the thread much

No. I was responding to Mel saying that stories in general that use that trope are bad.

DragonBall is okay. It's hard for me to sit through these days if an episode is too focused on fighting rather than silly poo poo.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
DragonBall Z would be better if it had more Yajirobe.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I think we can all agree that Dragonball is a franchise about good lads who are bad dads, and bad lads who are good dads.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Dragon Ball manga is a fantastic action comic.

The Dragon Ball anime is a mediocre adaptation

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roth posted:

The Dragon Ball manga is a fantastic action comic.

The Dragon Ball anime is a mediocre adaptation

Some of the best parts of dragon ball are after the original manga ended though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I stopped liking Dragonball when I hit eighth grade.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still like Dragon Ball it's just good fun. And one person's number is bigger than the other has not been the case for a while in it.

Not to say it is not stupid, it's quite stupid. But lots of enjoyable things are stupid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I stopped liking Dragonball when I hit eighth grade.

Point on the doll where Master Roshi touched you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still like Dragon Ball it's just good fun. And one person's number is bigger than the other has not been the case for a while in it.

Not to say it is not stupid, it's quite stupid. But lots of enjoyable things are stupid.

Having not seen anything of Super besides clips, that's how I imagine all of the series goes with the exception of Hit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Its Jiren's entire personality "Man with biggest number"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It oscillated between that and "I'll admire you if you don't throw away defining characteristic of yourself so long as you still get stronger anyway but I still have the biggest number. Also gently caress off Goku you're beneath me, I'm fighting Vegeta."

edit: I'm tired I read that as is jiren's entire personality "man with biggest number" instead of its

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And he gets beaten by just basic teamwork not overwhelming strength and he's narratively the big wall the heroes have to get over. The entire deal with super is that pure power isnt going to win over smart fighting. Hell golden friezas shtickwas he was a threat but didn't train well so he burnt out of stamina super fast and boku and vegeta explicitly calls this out so his problem.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The real problem with DBZ for people is that math in their Shonen anime just makes people angry. Even if you just keep it as simple as 320,000 is less than 1,000,000.

Keep it simple, like MegaMan or Inuyasha.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
one piece bounty system is the best. number just represents how abstractly dangerous the government considers character, and number can be skewed, manipulated or outright erased, so it can always potentially not matter

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Valve just trademarked something called "Dota Underlords" and while dota is not very relevant to the guys, the word "Underlords" feels very Pat and Woolie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

The real problem with DBZ for people is that math in their Shonen anime just makes people angry. Even if you just keep it as simple as 320,000 is less than 1,000,000.

Keep it simple, like MegaMan or Inuyasha.

Yeah but power levels are not mentioned again after Freeza.

Heck the villain of the current Manga arc Moro is the weaker than all previous DBSuper Villains.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also DBZ did keep it simple. The powerlevels were just "this guy is very powerful" or "this guy sucks".