Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bash the fash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

the alt right are just temporarily embarrassed mass shooters

Uncle Wemus posted:

I never got into morrisey but why is he important

because rock and roll reverence and celebrity culture

the smiths are a mediocre band compared to say, the cure

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 22:03 on May 14, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
It's nice that Morrissey being a bitchy miserable rear end in a top hat is part of the appeal of the Smiths, rather than if he were an aspirational happy figure.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

coathat posted:

Better not normalize the most popular news channel in the country

Perhaps normalizing is the wrong term, providing a fair and balanced fig leaf? Aiding and abetting their quest for legitimacy which provides cover for advertisers? The end goal is to remove the last vestiges of "We're not JUST a hate filled propaganda network" and advertisers have been listening and more importantly acting. If you're even a mid-tier democratic candidate and you give Fox an hour of you to peddle their journalistic bonafides you're helping their cause.

Bernie and co. are absolutely being peddled right now by Fox News sales folks since their upfronts were apparently yesterday. Was it good for them personally? Maybe, but it's an overall loss if you believe Fox News is a cancer on this country.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Man I forgot that Robert Smith used to look like a human

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

he still looks human, it's just that overall look doesn't look great on a paunchy middle aged person

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I always associate Robert Smith with that really early south park with famous people turning into Godzilla monsters and Robert Smith was Mothra

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

my knowledge of robert smith is pretty much entirely the achewood jokes about how he never showers, and only takes baths, like a true goth

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

my knowledge of robert smith is pretty much entirely the achewood jokes about how he never showers, and only takes baths, like a true goth

sit down baths are the most gothic way of washing one's self

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Uncle Wemus posted:

he is extremely self-important

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Al! posted:

he still looks human, it's just that overall look doesn't look great on a paunchy middle aged person

It really really doesn't but I have to respect a man who's given every opportunity possible to abandon his young weirdo aesthetic and just refuses at every turn.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Whites

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eh the Smiths are an important band in the history of Indie Rock and their songs are mostly about alienation and lonelness and also about gently caress Thacher and the Queen and the ruling classes. Then Morrissey got old and rich and turned into your racist uncle.

Though their music importance is more on Johnny Marr who is not a chud in the slightest.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol at this scrub who doesn't know about the massive bewildering following the Smiths have with Mexicans.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It really really doesn't but I have to respect a man who's given every opportunity possible to abandon his young weirdo aesthetic and just refuses at every turn.

The strangest thing about Robert Smith is that he only started dressing up as a gothy dude after the gothiest period of the Cure was over.
Like look up photos oh him from the early 80's and he just kind of looks like any random period British music person.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Grape posted:

The strangest thing about Robert Smith is that he only started dressing up as a gothy dude after the gothiest period of the Cure was over.
Like look up photos oh him from the early 80's and he just kind of looks like any random period British music person.

when you're on that much heroin playing dressup is too much of a pain in the rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtgAgTqx0w

i dig the pink pyjama pants tho

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Perhaps normalizing is the wrong term, providing a fair and balanced fig leaf? Aiding and abetting their quest for legitimacy which provides cover for advertisers? The end goal is to remove the last vestiges of "We're not JUST a hate filled propaganda network" and advertisers have been listening and more importantly acting. If you're even a mid-tier democratic candidate and you give Fox an hour of you to peddle their journalistic bonafides you're helping their cause.

Bernie and co. are absolutely being peddled right now by Fox News sales folks since their upfronts were apparently yesterday. Was it good for them personally? Maybe, but it's an overall loss if you believe Fox News is a cancer on this country.

You can't "deplatform" Fox News. Ignoring it doesn't delegitimize it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It does if it's struggling for advertisers and needs big audience draws. Which is presently the case.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It does if it's struggling for advertisers and needs big audience draws. Which is presently the case.

Advertisers pull out of problematic programming blocks, not the whole network. They're also still the biggest basic cable network in ratings so "big audience draws" aren't a problem, unless it's a problem to the industry as a whole.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Eh the Smiths are an important band in the history of Indie Rock and their songs are mostly about alienation and lonelness and also about gently caress Thacher and the Queen and the ruling classes. Then Morrissey got old and rich and turned into your racist uncle.

Though their music importance is more on Johnny Marr who is not a chud in the slightest.

I met Marr once at a party for a friend and that guy is cool and chill as hell for a rockstar.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No one actually likes Morrissey and every Smiths can I've ever met is embarrassed by him

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They all say Marr is cool tho

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The bottom line is, if Warren won't go on Fox News because she's going to be asked unfair questions and treated badly, then she's not fit to be the nominee. If the stated reason is the real reason, then why not boycott all cable news while we're at it? There's no real consistently principled stance here, it's all partisan theater.

Pomp posted:

No one actually likes Morrissey and every Smiths can I've ever met is embarrassed by him

Why is Morrissey even getting booked on The Tonight Show in 2019, is what I want to know.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line is, if Warren won't go on Fox News because she's going to be asked unfair questions and treated badly, then she's not fit to be the nominee. If the stated reason is the real reason, then why not boycott all cable news while we're at it? There's no real consistently principled stance here, it's all partisan theater.

lol if a candidate won’t go on Fox they shouldn’t be president? are you a cspam mod?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean partisan theater isn’t a terrible idea. Stoking the base does more than trying to appeal to the Fox News core

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think the point is that everyone else knows Fox News and their core audience are pieces of poo poo because we remind them every day that they are.

But if you start going on to their platform, then you begin to legitimize them when you should be calling them out on the racist/misogynistic poo poo they spout every day.

It's like allsides.com, theoretically it's a good idea, until you realize that the conservative news sources are straight up vitriolic and don't offer unbiased news in any fashion.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol if a candidate won’t go on Fox they shouldn’t be president? are you a cspam mod?

If she's ducking Fox News because she's afraid of being asked about 23andme'ing her way into POC status, that's going to come up on the campaign trail anyway.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

But if you start going on to their platform, then you begin to legitimize them when you should be calling them out on the racist/misogynistic poo poo they spout every day.

They are legitimized by the cable and news industry, regardless of however you feel about them. I don't see how it's mutually exclusive to both go on their platform and call them out for being a toxic element in society. The toxicity is already here, and if you can't confront it then you're not fit to be a politician.

Fox News isn't just something that chuds watch, people are subjected to it all over the country because it's on tvs in airports, diners, gas stations, you name it. It's a public institution.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Tetrabor posted:

I think the point is that everyone else knows Fox News and their core audience are pieces of poo poo because we remind them every day that they are.

It's like allsides.com, theoretically it's a good idea, until you realize that the conservative news sources are straight up vitriolic and don't offer unbiased news in any fashion.

what do you consider "conservative news sources"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

the least-disappointing way to go onto FOX would be to go on and work an episode of them loving up or lying or ginning up hatred in every single one of your answers until they cut the program short and you get to claim you were too dangerous for them to let their audience see the truth.

Sanders definitely got his jabs in, but that would be the best way to do it. Total scorched earth.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I mean the problem is that if you think not going on Fox is good because you don't want to indirectly support it, I hope you don't plan on doing any town halls with any cable news network because MSNBC and CNN channel similar horrible views but either counterbalance it with a less horrible take or just put a liberal veneer on everything.

If you don't plan on doing any townhalls or any outreach through the cable networks then I think your presidential candidacy is dead in the water. I could be wrong about the importance of the cable news networks though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I really think Bernie going on FOX was a net good both for him and the country. It likely attracted non-standard viewers to FOX which is bad, but I sincerely doubt many who were drawn to FOX to watch a Bernie townhall will continue watching it with any regularity. It also likely provided greater viewership to FOX than whatever normally went in the timeslot it pre-empted, but that's probably pretty minor overall as well since most of these FOX ads are for poo poo like precious metal stocks and Trumpy bear that average people aren't going to buy, and the timeslot was one hour. I think Bernie going on that town hall and running circles around the hosts as they dog him with tired old right-wing chestnuts outweighs the short-term benefits FOX would have gleaned, or at least neutralizes them.

With regards to diminishing the power of FOX as a media platform - speaking out against it is important, but I think it's equally important to note that while FOX is descending into explicit and open fascism alongside the Republican party, agencies like MSNBC and CNN are still pushing the same imperialist, pro-billionaire, pro-corporate message, just without the 14/88 bits. FOX is absolutely horrific and despicable but you can turn on MSNBC at any time of the day and find someone calling for the invasion of Venezuela or fawning over the ingenuity of Apple or some poo poo unchallenged. When Bernie wins the election I can guarantee you CNN, et al, will spew almost as much bile as FOX will towards him, just like how they turned on AOC so quickly when she opposed the Amazon NY HQ, or how they all ganged up on Ilhan Omar.

Anyone that's going to run for President of the United States needs to be able to stand up to the media when it's doing poo poo like this, whether it's FOX fascists or CNN Sorkinites. I think Sanders is the only person running who would make a good President, and that Warren is a somewhat distant second. If she's going to prove that she actually has the chops for handling Trump, going on FOX is a good way to do it. I think the way Bernie dismantled those smug disingenuous assholes hosting the FOX Town Hall proves he can do the same to Mr. Sundown, but I think that Warren has a history of handling low blows badly. She should go on FOX only if she thinks she's improved herself since the whole loving Pocahontas debacle, which I guarantee Trump will hit her with every god drat day if she looks like she's going to be the nominee.

e: I used "I think" a lot in this post, I think I need to proofread better

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 23:23 on May 14, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Why is Morrissey even getting booked on The Tonight Show in 2019, is what I want to know.

it's "all major social media companies openly support white supremacy, probably a coincidence" image, but for all broadcasters instead

Tetrabor posted:

Lessail posted:

what do you consider "conservative news sources"

holy poo poo this is a cursed website:

the new york times is the left, the blaze is the right, and reuters is the center, all equally worthwhile sides.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hellsau posted:

holy poo poo this is a cursed website:

the new york times is the left, the blaze is the right, and reuters is the center, all equally worthwhile sides.

what it's mostly getting wrong is the new york times saying that echoes of the start of the iraq war are good for their business, since the ny times themselves had a huge hand in promoting it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR78U6zvGI

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

GoluboiOgon posted:

they were armenian mobsters, but yeah

whoa whoa whoa

i followed the baked alaska saga "fairly" closely, but I haven't heard about this. deets?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, too. How do you even acupuncture a dog? Did it once on myself (among the top 5 biggest wastes of money in my life) and you have to be incredibly still for like 20 mins.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/IntelDankWeb/status/1128433597457760256

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I really think Bernie going on FOX was a net good both for him and the country. It likely attracted non-standard viewers to FOX which is bad, but I sincerely doubt many who were drawn to FOX to watch a Bernie townhall will continue watching it with any regularity. It also likely provided greater viewership to FOX than whatever normally went in the timeslot it pre-empted, but that's probably pretty minor overall as well since most of these FOX ads are for poo poo like precious metal stocks and Trumpy bear that average people aren't going to buy, and the timeslot was one hour. I think Bernie going on that town hall and running circles around the hosts as they dog him with tired old right-wing chestnuts outweighs the short-term benefits FOX would have gleaned, or at least neutralizes them.

With regards to diminishing the power of FOX as a media platform - speaking out against it is important, but I think it's equally important to note that while FOX is descending into explicit and open fascism alongside the Republican party, agencies like MSNBC and CNN are still pushing the same imperialist, pro-billionaire, pro-corporate message, just without the 14/88 bits. FOX is absolutely horrific and despicable but you can turn on MSNBC at any time of the day and find someone calling for the invasion of Venezuela or fawning over the ingenuity of Apple or some poo poo unchallenged. When Bernie wins the election I can guarantee you CNN, et al, will spew almost as much bile as FOX will towards him, just like how they turned on AOC so quickly when she opposed the Amazon NY HQ, or how they all ganged up on Ilhan Omar.

Anyone that's going to run for President of the United States needs to be able to stand up to the media when it's doing poo poo like this, whether it's FOX fascists or CNN Sorkinites. I think Sanders is the only person running who would make a good President, and that Warren is a somewhat distant second. If she's going to prove that she actually has the chops for handling Trump, going on FOX is a good way to do it. I think the way Bernie dismantled those smug disingenuous assholes hosting the FOX Town Hall proves he can do the same to Mr. Sundown, but I think that Warren has a history of handling low blows badly. She should go on FOX only if she thinks she's improved herself since the whole loving Pocahontas debacle, which I guarantee Trump will hit her with every god drat day if she looks like she's going to be the nominee.

e: I used "I think" a lot in this post, I think I need to proofread better

The 1488 stuff is pretty important, though? A major broadcaster openly deploying genocidal propaganda is a serious, immediate threat to public safety in a way that vaguer, more dogwhistley stuff is not, and should be punished accordingly. Just ask the Tutsis.

Other media companies may accustom their viewers to racism and bloodlust, but it's Fox specifically that gives them a roadmap and instructions. If you're unable to tell the difference, I'd seriously question your grasp of history.

Go after the other companies later, because you can afford to go after them later, and you want to give them an escape route to deescalate rather than having more major broadcasters going 'oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound' and joining Fox's efforts to actively kick off a genocide. America already has concentration camps, and is teetering on the brink of unleashing something much, much worse. Coaxing it back from the edge is going to involve letting a bunch of lovely racists pretend they're noble, heroic saviours, because they're presently the people with the power and the platform to stop it. We can deal with them once Miller and company are in the Hague where they belong, and not ready and waiting to start disappearing Muslims en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line is, if Warren won't go on Fox News because she's going to be asked unfair questions and treated badly, then she's not fit to be the nominee.

lol wrong