Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Arquinsiel posted:

Night shifts are tougher than people think. I would have been totally fine with them if my previous employer was alright with me JUST working them, but nope, gotta alternate weeks! :pseudo:

I threw a shitfit when I started and we were on 4 10s with one night shift per week, and the end result was them forming an entire all-nights team that I volunteered to lead, which worked in my favor cuz I liked being nocturnal for a bit, I got a 10% shift differential pay increase, and it raised my visibility and got me promoted ahead of schedule.

And then they decided that was silly and built a team in Dublin for "follow the sun" coverage. Turns out they didn't train or staff it very well, tho, and performance suffered immediately.

Seeing as that failed, now they're rebuilding support as a single 24/7 call center again, but in Hyderabad, where the labor is cheap and they're not as likely to complain about getting short shrifted.

The punchline is that they put the team here in PNW, USA specifically to avoid making it seem like we were NOT outsourcing our phone support. And technically we're still not -- the HYD team is full time employees, just like the OG team -- but since they have accents they take a ton of grief from our "ohana" who seem to think anyone who sounds brown is worth abusing verbally. Not like we didn't get lovely customer calls, but at least we weren't getting hung up on and called racial slurs. Again, I would like to point out, this is internal tech support for our own employees.

As my ex used to say, "Nobody wins and someone probably got hurt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

at least we weren't getting hung up on and called racial slurs. Again, I would like to point out, this is internal tech support for our own employees.

How are people not getting fired for that?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The punchline is that they put the team here in PNW, USA specifically to avoid making it seem like we were NOT outsourcing our phone support. And technically we're still not -- the HYD team is full time employees, just like the OG team -- but since they have accents they take a ton of grief from our "ohana" who seem to think anyone who sounds brown is worth abusing verbally. Not like we didn't get lovely customer calls, but at least we weren't getting hung up on and called racial slurs. Again, I would like to point out, this is internal tech support for our own employees.

One of my old jobs was fun because of all the people who'd insist when they were talking to our Indian employees that our call centre was outsourced, only to have one of our non-Indian managers take over the call and tell them to stop being racist.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How are people not getting fired for that?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bell jar posted:

One of my old jobs was fun because of all the people who'd insist when they were talking to our Indian employees that our call centre was outsourced, only to have one of our non-Indian managers take over the call and tell them to stop being racist.

When I worked at a bank, we had one guy, literally one, with an Indian name and accent and the poo poo he had to deal with was unreal. So many people going "Oh yeah, what's the weather like in NOTTINGHAM then if that's where you are" and making out they couldn't understand him to try and get to talk to someone less brown when he was perfectly comprehensible. His line manager ended up terminating at least one customer's account because they were so racist towards him.

In conclusion, people are awful.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm Australian and used to work in a call centre. Had several really good naturalized citizen Indians working on the line. They spoke very good English. It always used to amuse me when they were orders of magnitude more understandable than the slurring chucklefucks who were born here.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I threw a shitfit when I started and we were on 4 10s with one night shift per week, and the end result was them forming an entire all-nights team that I volunteered to lead, which worked in my favor cuz I liked being nocturnal for a bit, I got a 10% shift differential pay increase, and it raised my visibility and got me promoted ahead of schedule.

And then they decided that was silly and built a team in Dublin for "follow the sun" coverage. Turns out they didn't train or staff it very well, tho, and performance suffered immediately.
That's so common here that I can't even begin to guess who you work for. Constant multinational support roles are located in Dublin and churn through staff due to a bunch of factors.

Fil5000 posted:

When I worked at a bank, we had one guy, literally one, with an Indian name and accent and the poo poo he had to deal with was unreal. So many people going "Oh yeah, what's the weather like in NOTTINGHAM then if that's where you are" and making out they couldn't understand him to try and get to talk to someone less brown when he was perfectly comprehensible. His line manager ended up terminating at least one customer's account because they were so racist towards him.

In conclusion, people are awful.
Yeah, that's what working for Xbox covereing EMEA was like.
"Hi thank you for calling Xbox support :words:"
"Oh than gently caress you're not a foreigner".
"Actually I am".
"... yeah but not like, one of those ones".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I had an argument with my girlfriend yesterday about road rage - she was driving and indicated to move out a lane - then someone didn't let her in, she gestured, he gestured back, yet he was the dick.
Sure he didn't let you in, but it's his lane, you have to indicate and wait your turn

Anyway, the point is, it's another scenario where people think it's perfectly acceptable to abuse each other because there is a layer of protection between you and the other person - i.e. 2 different cars... or you wont get any trouble if you racially abuse someone over the phone... or keyboard warrior syndrome.

It's all madness.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Arquinsiel posted:

Night shifts are tougher than people think. I would have been totally fine with them if my previous employer was alright with me JUST working them, but nope, gotta alternate weeks! :pseudo:

Yeah it's night shift only and by yourself most of the night which can be pretty taxing. The biggest issue is it's weeks of training to get someone up to speed for that shift because they have to be ready to support by themselves. The person that's been subbing in the night role switched to tier 2 training this week so we'll have to scramble to get someone to cover it. And my own training (which was discussed but never really planned out) will be pushed back because we'll need the night replacement, his replacement, and my replacement :tif:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/benhammersley/status/1128231713417646080?s=21

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I’ve also heard “partly cloudy” for a hybrid cloud / on-prem environment.

I had the same reaction.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cumulonimbus.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cumuloignoramus

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cumulonimbanus?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Polybuttnus

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Those Polycom branded smart toilets have sure fallen a long way.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those Polycom branded smart toilets have sure fallen a long way.
What a loving nightmare that would be. Certificate errors preventing you from flushing your turds.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

betterinsodapop posted:

What a loving nightmare that would be. Certificate errors preventing you from flushing your turds.

Nah, the cert errors were easy enough to fix, it was the bowl buffer overflow issues that really killed them.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Nimbo Cumulos?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fil5000 posted:

"Oh yeah, what's the weather like in NOTTINGHAM then if that's where you are"

I mean, bleak and post-industrial?

:shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If by storage, you mean THE CLOUD. :yayclod:

iospace posted:

If by storage, you mean THE CLOUD butt. :yayclod:

Someone make a crossing between :yayclod: and :tutbutt:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

Someone make a crossing between :yayclod: and :tutbutt:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

:five:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:holymoley:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

An actual ticket this morning

HDD Error on bootup

smart hard disk check, iminent failure, 301. Skipped check, PC booted up. Sending local to verify no issues with HDD, may need chkdsk

Yes, I'm sure chkdsk will reverse that imminent failure completely.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nah, the cert errors were easy enough to fix, it was the bowl buffer overflow issues that really killed them.

Flushing DNS has never felt so good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If someone buys that smiley, please call it :yaybutt:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

D. Ebdrup posted:

I was going to suggest :storage: myself, because it's in the cloud and has a lot of junk in the trunk :v:.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:cloud2butt: might not be the worst idea

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, bleak and post-industrial?

:shrug:

I mean we were bang in the city centre so it was actually quite nice

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was going to suggest :storage: myself, because it's in the cloud and has a lot of junk in the trunk :v:.

Data Graham posted:

:cloud2butt: might not be the worst idea
Hmm, those suggestions are also pretty powerful. Difficult choice - thankfully I'm poor so I don't have to make it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

:clevel:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

:yaybutt: incoming

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:yaybutt:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hee hee hee

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nielsm posted:

:yaybutt: incoming

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of :yaybutt:, apparently AWS booked out the restaurant in my office tower so I had to find another place to grab lunch :smith:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's like I'm hosting nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There's a story here involving me trying to sell my car, and my dad trying to give me advice about it. tl;dr, he told me without any irony at all, "You should do something about the junk in your trunk."
"Yeah, Dad. What am I going to do with all that junk. All that junk inside my trunk."

My mom's reaction was pretty much :yaybutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

luv 2 attend two hour meetings starting at 12:30 where the entire context is "apps workshop, details to follow" that are updated on the day with the additional details of "this is now a physical meeting".