Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I call it west Florida

Hey now, Florida has good water thanks to our abundant, constantly-recharging aquifer system, and we're still in the process of ruining that but haven't managed it yet :colbert:

Also here's a fun quote I found while looking up the Florida aquifer just now

quote:

In 2003, a committee predominantly composed of real estate developers was appointed by Governor Jeb Bush to solve Florida's water disparity.

Thanks Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Hey now, Florida has good water thanks to our abundant, constantly-recharging aquifer system, and we're still in the process of ruining that but haven't managed it yet :colbert:

Also here's a fun quote I found while looking up the Florida aquifer just now

Thanks Jeb!

Also the local electric company getting the ok to store nuclear waste at the same depth as the aquifer.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Quixotic1 posted:

Also the local electric company getting the ok to store nuclear waste at the same depth as the aquifer.

I'm surprised FPL wasn't given blanket permission to store waste IN the aquifer.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anonumos posted:

I'm surprised FPL wasn't given blanket permission to store waste IN the aquifer.

Don't worry, Mosaic is taking care of that:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/water/mosaic-plant-sinkhole-dumps-215-million-gallons-of-reprocessed-water-into/2293845

quote:

A massive sinkhole that opened underneath a gypsum stack at a Mosaic phosphate fertilizer plant in Mulberry may have dumped at least 215 million gallons of contaminated water into the Floridan Aquifer over the past three weeks, company officials say.

And it could be months before the hole is plugged, the officials acknowledge.

The 45-foot-wide sinkhole opened at the New Wales plant, where phosphate rock mined elsewhere is converted into fertilizer.

It drained millions of gallons of acidic water laced with sulfate and sodium from a pool atop a 120-foot gypsum stack. An unknown amount of gypsum, a fertilizer byproduct with low levels of radiation, also fell into the sinkhole, which is believed be at least 300 feet deep.

David Jellerson, senior director of environment and phosphate projects, said Mosaic decided there was no need to alert neighbors — many of whom use well water — because testing has shown that the contamination has not spread from the 1,600-acre site.

Look, it's fine, we only legally have to tell you after you've started drinking the radioactive acid water

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That one actually made Dread Lord Emperor Rick Scott mad enough to push through legislation requiring companies to disclose waste spills within 24 hours, and I remember right after it went into effect there was a goddamn tidal wave of the news reporting every spill everywhere because it turns out they happen constantly all over the loving place :toot:

Also I'm sure this is unrelated but this is from an article announcing they filled the hole finally, two years later:

quote:

For Mosaic, which just announced that it’s moving its corporate headquarters from Minnesota to Florida, filling the chasm took $84 million and 20,000 cubic yards of grout, a thick mixture of water, cement, and sand which hardens over time.

Yep just moving the corporate headquarters to Florida because we love CREATING FLORIDA JOBS nothing to see here

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i lived near a town that ran all of its water through a great reverse osmosis system. Municipalities from around the state would buy their water when they needed the good stuff for projects and it owned. My town's water was chemically treated so it smelled like sulfur and bleach

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

i lived near a town that ran all of its water through a great reverse osmosis system. Municipalities from around the state would buy their water when they needed the good stuff for projects and it owned. My town's water was chemically treated so it smelled like sulfur and bleach

While looking into it I found out that apparently 10% or more of my local water comes from a reverse-osmosis desal plant which is neat.

The desal plant is based at the power plant so they can use their cooling water discharge system for intake water, and presumably runs directly off the power plant power, which is less neat because it's one of the largest coal plants in the country :v: At least they're converting it to natural gas over the next few years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

It just comes out of the tap m8

contact your utilities company if there is something resembling klondike bars coming out of your taps

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

contact your utilities company if there is something resembling klondike bars coming out of your taps

Sorry they've been privatized, IPO'd, taken over by Bain Capital, Raided, Dumped, and now the pipes just stop at the property line because they sold all the mains for scrap

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lambert posted:

Some US states still mandated the use of lead pipes for water decades after most countries stopped using them.

Much like asbestos, people figured out that lead is bad for you a long time ago. When they actually tried to regulate the use of lead water pipes in the US in the 1920s, the lead industry responded by pouring money into a lobbying group that was active all the way through the 1970s.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

absolut molotovs are going to be expensive!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hobbesmaster posted:

absolut molotovs are going to be expensive!

the affordable vodka comes in plastic bottles for a reason.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Vodka isn't high enough proof

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Moridin920 posted:

Vodka isn't high enough proof

Yeah you drink the vodka and fill the bottle with gasoline. Do you think people are tossing bottles of everclear around?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

grah posted:

Yeah you drink the vodka and fill the bottle with gasoline. Do you think people are tossing bottles of everclear around?

Seriously, gasoline is way cheaper, and way more flammable. Why would you water booze on Molotov cocktails?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk moonshine is easy and works well

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Moridin920 posted:

idk moonshine is easy and works well

where are you getting moonshine for like 3 bucks a gallon and can I have some?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m sure all that packaging is doing wonders for the environment

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Taintrunner posted:

Those pickles are like $2 at gas stations I can only imagine the markup on Rick & Morty branded ones

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this is mortal sin

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Taintrunner posted:

thats the normal packaging for walking around pickles

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

duz posted:

thats the normal packaging for walking around pickles

Yeah, because big oil and its buddy big plastic ran smear campaigns on environmentally friendly pickle barrels, putting 10s of pickle dippers out of work.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

always wanted to put phallic shaped rick in my mouth and then bite down

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Iron Crowned posted:

the affordable vodka comes in plastic bottles for a reason.

this reminds me I saw a store selling vodka for $6.99 a handle (1.75 liters) the other day and i was moved by such reasonable prices

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ugh that extra, comma

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://gizmodo.com/report-accused-somali-war-criminal-living-in-the-us-dr-1834770224

a war criminal starting a new life as a highly-rated uber driver is like a bottom tier SNL sketch

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

woah I just got extremely angry

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
got my dog insulin and my fish antibiotics, US healthcare owns

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Its funny that americans are just quietly taking all of this poo poo

Aren't you suppsoed to be rebels and revolutionaries

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zzulu posted:

Its funny that americans are just quietly taking all of this poo poo

Aren't you suppsoed to be rebels and revolutionaries

Gotta go through a private revolution company for that since they regulated it. It's the law.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

My friend had to give his cat insulin and was upset because not only was it stupidly expensive, but they only sold it in large (human sized?) vials that would expire before all the cat-sized doses could be used, resulting in waste.

e: They probably would have rather had children than several cats and a dog but, you know

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you could just organize all your school shooters and active shooters into a private army of angry people you could probably overthrow the government

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zzulu posted:

If you could just organize all your school shooters and active shooters into a private army of angry people you could probably overthrow the government

And then they'd replace it with one that was even more fascist

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it's better to just hope the current situation gets better (it never does)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Asimov posted:

My friend had to give his cat insulin and was upset because not only was it stupidly expensive, but they only sold it in large (human sized?) vials that would expire before all the cat-sized doses could be used, resulting in waste.

e: They probably would have rather had children than several cats and a dog but, you know

Not what they wanted, but a more ethical choice whether they realised it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They covered this in Danish news recently, because Novo was being rightfully attacked for quadrupling the listing price of insulin and literally killing Americans. They claimed they were "forced" to do so due to the middlemen buyers wanting the largest discounts. Anyway, the cheaper "human" insulin is supposedly worse.