Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In addition to the chandelier crime, take note:

-drop ceiling, presumably to hide the exposed pipework
-pipework is exposed anyway
-pipework cuts right through that beam, which is either decorative, or not decorative, and that's bad in a different way either way
-old crown molding left in place
-old crown molding still wasn't flush with previous ceiling height
-two pocket lights in that corner for some reason?
-sprinkler head a few inches from lighting/wiring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also a bunch of random luggage 10’ in the air?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thread title checks out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
everyone thinks that's a mistake, it's actually intentional

poo poo like that is meant to impress random people outside the house, in those obnoxious two-story entryways

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also a bunch of random luggage 10’ in the air?
I’m guessing it’s sound equipment, because of the metal corner protectors and the projector on a lower shelf.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

To me it looks like a curtain would be pulled across all that equipment area, also might explain the can lights along that line as well, catching the hypothetical curtains.

Still looks like a bit of a mess.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PRADA SLUT posted:

everyone thinks that's a mistake, it's actually intentional

poo poo like that is meant to impress random people outside the house, in those obnoxious two-story entryways

these guys must be loaded, can you imagine what it's going to cost to fix this??

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

bring back old gbs posted:

these guys must be loaded, can you imagine what it's going to cost to fix this??

Beatmstrj’s first house.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Leperflesh posted:

In addition to the chandelier crime, take note:

-drop ceiling, presumably to hide the exposed pipework
-pipework is exposed anyway
-pipework cuts right through that beam, which is either decorative, or not decorative, and that's bad in a different way either way
-old crown molding left in place
-old crown molding still wasn't flush with previous ceiling height
-two pocket lights in that corner for some reason?
-sprinkler head a few inches from lighting/wiring?

incredible

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

1024x768 posted:

I completed my first ever woodworking project: a ~~~*farmhouse chic*~~~ table and bench:

I added some ~~~*Chipotle chic*~~~ black metal chairs too.

and here's a bird from the backyard

Yeah those stretchers on the end trestles are going to be a problem. Can you move the trestles in, say a foot or so? Or is it attached forever. I don't find the pocket holes distracting, they're symmetrical at least.

Nice birb, oriole?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

It's a great time to be a fan of Victorian furniture/design while also owning a huge Victorian house that needs to be furnished with better stuff than the IKEA/curbside garbage we collected during our college years.

An especially good buy is wardrobes/armoires - giant, exquisite pieces that no one wants or needs because houses have huge closets now. Not my house (irony is that the servant rooms in the attic actually have adequately sized closets - no armoires for poors).

The challenge is actually finding this stuff, especially big pieces. Antique stores are often full of "vintage" knickknack crap with good real antiques being few and far between. Garage sales with cool housewares and furniture seem to be getting rarer (it's all baby clothes and poo poo), and while you can get super lucky on Craigslist and eBay, trawling through them is a pain in the rear end. I need to make friends with some antiques dealers.

Maybe I should start exporting stuff to the colonies from jolly old England.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah those stretchers on the end trestles are going to be a problem. Can you move the trestles in, say a foot or so? Or is it attached forever. I don't find the pocket holes distracting, they're symmetrical at least.

Nice birb, oriole?

Looks like a tanager to me

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe I should start exporting stuff to the colonies from jolly old England.

tried that once, didn't go well when it reached the harbor

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nobody in their right mind gives a gently caress about tea.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Apparently dredging wood out of the depths of the sea makes it *more* valuable.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sweet Jesus that’s infuriating.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Does anybody have suggestions for dining chairs for guests that can stowed away when they’re not needed?

I have a smaller space and need something that can match some pink velvet upholstered chairs with vertical tufts and brass legs.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Pigasus posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for dining chairs for guests that can stowed away when they’re not needed?

I have a smaller space and need something that can match some pink velvet upholstered chairs with vertical tufts and brass legs.

In my grandparents case they have like 15 extra Windsor chairs strategically placed throughout the house in various rooms.

Unless you want to get like pink folding chairs, that’s probably a good option? Provided you have the space. We just have plastic folding chairs from Costco if we happen to have more than like 6 people eating at the table.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pigasus posted:

I’d look at some decent stacking chairs from somewhere like ikea or Blu dot or DWR, depending on your budget. Instead of trying to match them to your ‘usual’ chairs find a design that complements them. Then keep the occasional chairs stowed away when not in use, but accessible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

chair plx

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is that actually a tea joke or did you really get a shipping container or something? As an american on the continent who loves this stuff, I've definitely thought about it

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Re: extra chairs: I currently have a few of the strategically placed side chairs (my parents do this and I got it from them), but not nearly enough at this point, so I keep a stack of metal and/or plastic folding chairs, none of which match, some of which are rusty. They get the job done.

Eventually the goal is to have more extra chairs placed around the main floor, but since I can only fit so many, also have a set of cute wooden folding chairs for those times when we have super huge gatherings.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
oh boy, back to ~chair wealth~

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
tired: one ~$1k desk chair or $4k Eames lounger that you use and treasure regularly

wired: twenty ~$100 chairs strategically hidden around your home for big dinner parties

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
tired: large beanbags for sexing and saxing

wired: “that armchair over there can fit under the dining room table. I know because I chose it for that purpose. strategically.”

“go ahead and slide it over”

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

tired: large beanbags for sexing and saxing

wired: “that armchair over there can fit under the dining room table. I know because I chose it for that purpose. strategically.”

“go ahead and slide it over”

What is this, Passover?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I have 4 of those japanese floor chairs for flexible seating. When there are a lot of people over I can put them in my family room between the couch and TV. Also when I use the leaf on my dinner table, the end hangs over a large window bench in my dining room allowing the legless chairs to be used at the dinner table seating up to 3(children) sitting cross legged. When not in use they tuck away taking up very little space in an alcove on the mentioned window bench.

Bonus, watching my guests have a moment of crisis wondering if I'm serious when I break out the floor chairs is hilarious.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I moved to Japan over 10 years ago and it's hilarious how much my parents actually physically can't sit on the floor when they visit from the US. My dad usually tips over and lays on his side like an rear end in a top hat Roman.
#slavsquats

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

peanut posted:

I moved to Japan over 10 years ago and it's hilarious how much my parents actually physically can't sit on the floor when they visit from the US. My dad usually tips over and lays on his side like an rear end in a top hat Roman.
#slavsquats

He's found an excuse to be his best self.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I was a kid my dad had a bunch of folding director's chairs for use as extra chairs. They were nicer than the typical folding chair; more sturdy, more comfortable.

This kind of thing:

except his were from the 1970s, well made, and more attractive. But they could be stowed in a closet when not in use, and the fabric could be easily washed.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I found a great one when looking through the rental markets.

Here's the exterior. This is a pretty typical apartment block in Melbourne. Inside you'll expect something with fittings from either the 50's or leftovers from the 90's dotted around and the walls painted white.

Not this place.

Yeah where to begin? I'm guessing it's meant to be some sort of Asian inspired styling but sort of looks like a bad take of Jabba the Hutt's lair.

I'm the little cupboards positioned at the ceiling. Unless they are hiding something like a power box.

This is the bedroom.

And the bathroom. Pink is the go-to for how hold your bathroom is as it was quite the design choice of the 50's. Just gussied up with some 90's tile flair and lots of wrought iron victoriania. Such as the oven being repurposed as a sink.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Not gonna lie I want to live in Jabba’s ozzie palace.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Feelin like that apartment might launch into space at any moment and I’m cool with that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was okay with it until the bathroom, where the combination of aged pink fixtures and wrought iron just kind of gives me weird chills. It feels unsafe, somehow.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Not gonna lie I want to live in Jabba’s ozzie palace.

Same. I'd be worried about what the renovations might be hiding if I were buying, but I'd rent that in a heartbeat.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I want to know more about the wall mounted dresser in the bedroom. It has doors on the front and drawers on the side.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Brawnfire posted:

Looks like a tanager to me

bingo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BogDew posted:

Yeah where to begin? I'm guessing it's meant to be some sort of Asian inspired styling but sort of looks like a bad take of Jabba the Hutt's lair.

I have a new aesthetic now. Wood veneer space ship.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Antivehicular posted:

I was okay with it until the bathroom, where the combination of aged pink fixtures and wrought iron just kind of gives me weird chills. It feels unsafe, somehow.

if only you could hide in a closet while you poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PRADA SLUT posted:

if only you could hide in a closet while you poo poo

Should be feasible after I rip up some floor beams and put some wallpaper up upside-down